Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Since we're talking about Yakuza, I would appreciate some guidance on what to play from the series. I am currently playing Yakuza 0 and I decided to skip Kiwami because the guy who did the review on our site didn't rate it particularly high. I'll watch a let's play on Youtube to follow the story. I got Kiwami 2 from Humble Bundle so that's next.

Now, if I understand correctly, Zero and Kiwami use the same engine, right? Kiwami 2 uses a newer engine. Is that correct? If so, what's the deal with 3-5 and 6? Do they use the new engine, the old engine or something else? Are they all worth playing?
I've finished Kiwami last week and the main story was definitely worth it imo. Only the substories aren't as good as in Yakuza 0.

Reactions: Alexandros
Dec 5, 2018
I don't think i'm going to rock anything, I couldn't possibly suck harder at FG, I play like one FG every 1-2 years and I wanted to complete my collection.

These are going to last me several years
You could always play the story mode that is anime as it gets and basically a visual novel (to the point that the story mode of Xrd has 0 fights).

Reactions: PC-tan

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Since we're talking about Yakuza, I would appreciate some guidance on what to play from the series. I am currently playing Yakuza 0 and I decided to skip Kiwami because the guy who did the review on our site didn't rate it particularly high. I'll watch a let's play on Youtube to follow the story. I got Kiwami 2 from Humble Bundle so that's next.

Now, if I understand correctly, Zero and Kiwami use the same engine, right? Kiwami 2 uses a newer engine. Is that correct? If so, what's the deal with 3-5 and 6? Do they use the new engine, the old engine or something else? Are they all worth playing?
Since others already have answered the engine question:

If you like 0 you could also play Kiwami. Sure the dip in quality is very big because you go from the sixth mainline game to the first one which despite the updates still has its PS2 roots pretty noticable in certain aspects. But it isn't so long as other titles (I think it took me around 15 hours with most side stuff).
Kiwami 2 is also pretty good. If 3-6 come to PC (which will probably be when they release it for Xbox, too) I can at least vouch for 3-5 as very good games and worth playing but also a heavy time investment. 6 is supposed pretty good but I haven't played it yet because I am still waiting for the PC version.

Though honestly, if you want to you could go from 0 straight to 7 if you wanted. 7 has a new character with a new story so it is a good jumping in point for future games.

3-5 = old engine (the one 0 uses)
6 = Dragon engine (Kiwami 2's engine)

3 is uhh rough, it's technically the second HD game but the first mainline one so it has a lot of jank compared to the games that came after and it hasn't aged great, though the HD remaster fixed a lot of issues with the original US version - which was butchered to hell and back. You can safely skip this one while watching a story recap but odds are you'll have 3-5 in one package anyways so might as well give it a go and bail out if you're not into it since its pretty much the second worst mainline Yakuza game.

4 is very very very very good. I haven't played 5 and 6 yet but I hear good things about them, plus 6 is the big finale for some characters.
What is this Yakuza 3 slander? :minos_gun:

• Hug
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Rune II came out the other day,

Shemnu 3 is also coming on Thursday

I have a feeling the steam releases aren't doing to well after being stuck on the Epic Store for a year. I wonder how Ubisoft have been doing since they left steam.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

I have a feeling the steam releases aren't doing to well after being stuck on the Epic Store for a year. I wonder how Ubisoft have been doing since they left steam.
Lol, Rune 2 and Shenmue 3 are super mediocre games from what Ive observered.

Shenmue 3 even bombed in Japan, the game director's home country.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Shenmue 3 will be the biggest release of Thursday with 9k followers, so I think it will do fine. Maybe even have a banner if Gabe allows it.

Edit: Maybe not. Rune II was also the biggest release last Friday with 13k followers, and it failed: 51% rating and 316 all-time peak.

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Its always best to start at the beginning like the first game, cause 0 assumes you played other games and has many call forwards, but since we aren't in the PS2 era anymore and Yakuza Kiwami assumes you've played 0, might as well start at Zero.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Play 0, K1, K2, then Like a Dragon since it has no connection to the other ones, and after that pray that Sega ports the remastered collection to PC.

Reactions: QFNS and Swenhir

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Maybe even have a banner if Gabe allows it.
They always allow ex-EGS exclusives to have banners IF metrics are within the range, anything that will drive engagement and deliver a good number of players, pretty much any game that has been driving movement on the platform, Shenmue I think it won't have a banner, although it could potentially due to the name but just because of that, I don't think the game itself has any way of getting anything like that if it's not by the name.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Ringed City is the only Souls content that I haven't played yet.
Just saw it at half price on Humble and now I'm tempted.

Yakuza is one of the best gaming franchises that ever existed and Kiryu is one of the protags in anything ever.

Last edited:

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
from what i know either through testing or general infomation from people i havent had wrong yet.

bloodborne pc is very much still around the last test i did involved alot more bugs than expected and theres a new test again soon. alot of other ps4 games are well under way coming to pc i relatively dont know announcements or release times and ive always stuck by that because thats out of my zone. regarding above there was a spiderman pc project in the works but i relatively havent heard much about it recently. ive not mentioned spiderman here but i have mentoined it elsewhere on discord quite some time before any of my stuff was said here :D

guild wars 2 steam release got gutted heavy right around when the latest layoffs announced the next expansion is basically make or break for anet in ncsoft eyes now and the poorly handled approach for steam release only allowing new accounts they felt was doing more damage to the already broken morale and list of things riding against the game in a negative way.

onimusha projects from capcom are still in the works but relatively in a very low capacity sadly.

wow classic is coming to steam unsure on an exact timing but i know activision is working on some backend stuff with battle integration style like ms/ea with origin system

respawn have pitched a arpg star wars game, u can go alone or ultimate alliance style with up to 3 others in a team, light and dark sides pitched accross the movie arcs.

koei are working on a warriors style game in a much requested franchise

microsoft is announcing another studio buy soon which is relatively out of the right field and will suprise many (not in size like the zeni one ) but for who it is.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
wow classic is coming to steam unsure on an exact timing but i know activision is working on some backend stuff with battle integration style like ms/ea with origin system
If they do this, I imagine its a short trip from this to getting all their games on Steam. Stuff like Hearthstone, Diablo 3/4/whatever, Warcraft 3 Reforged (lol you don't want it tho), etc.

As all those games seem to use the same Battle.net backend stuff for communicating and so forth. If they can put that stuff in WoW Classic, I would think anything of Blizzard's stuff is fair game. To be fair I am simply extrapolating from Queen's statement. I know nothing and no one that would give me this information.

• Eyes
Reactions: Pommes and Tomasety

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Digimon Collection is on sale on humble.

Bumping my old trading post if anyone wants to exchange it for other games.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Digimon Collection is on sale on humble.

Bumping my old trading post if anyone wants to exchange it for other games.
if you don't buy this and enjoy it YOU ARE BAD PEOPLE! BAD! :persevering-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: Rogue Agent

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Sad news I'm not sure if you guys are familair with the FFXIV dad and son story but it seems that one of them only has 6 months to 1 year to live because of cancer. Sad stuff. In 2018 they were able to beat cancer but it would seem that it came back.

I (I worked for one before visa expired early this year, can't specify which one),

Was it Konami?

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and Swenhir

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Just an FYI

is free in a giveaway on GOG at the moment !
I played and beat the entire game recently it's made by the creator of Soldat if you've ever heard of/played that but it's pretty fun platform shooter (I suggest playing it on a lower difficultly then the one I did as harder difficulties make it kind of stupid)

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Well they are not selling well on Steam not because one year of EGSclusivity but because they are a bad game and one year is more than enough for people to see the review (it's bad) and the word of mouth (there is none).
Imagine they buy Bluepoint lol
The biggest fuck you to Sonyfans.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its crazy how talented Respawn is. They made a COD mech game. They made a battle royale. They made a Souls/Sekiro style SW game and they are about to release a VR game.

And now they are thinking of doing an ARPG as well? wtf.

The best 400 million EA will ever spend.

Also Microsofts acquisition is totally gonna be Bungie. It makes too much sense with all the issues 343 is having.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
MS is getting NIS.

Completely out-of-the-field. RPG studio + Japanese presence + relatively cheap.

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.