Community MetaSteam | November 2021 - Bienvenidos a Mexico. Sombreros no incluidos

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I've been playing Age of Empire IV a bit and i have to say... i am rather disappointed?

The game has good production values and is a very true Age of Empires sequel but it's almost too close to Age of Empires 2 i would say?

The game feels like Age of Empires 2 in all ways, the buildings, the technologies, the general gameplay to the point that one has to ask themselves why one would want to play it.

The primary differents are that you ascent to a new era by building a building instead of a technology and that each culture has a minor new mechanic, but it's hardly Starcraft in terms of differences. There is no metagame like in a lot of other Strategy games (including Age of Empires 3) either that at least connects the individual campaign missions or something.

I've wanted the developers to make a proper, classic sequel instead of experimenting with the formular. But they chose to not make the game feel classic, but actually rather stuck in time. Like there has been no development moving from Age of Empires 2 to 4.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I've been playing Age of Empire IV a bit and i have to say... i am rather disappointed?

The game has good production values and is a very true Age of Empires sequel but it's almost too close to Age of Empires 2 i would say?

The game feels like Age of Empires 2 in all ways, the buildings, the technologies, the general gameplay to the point that one has to ask themselves why one would want to play it.

The primary differents are that you ascent to a new era by building a building instead of a technology and that each culture has a minor new mechanic, but it's hardly Starcraft in terms of differences. There is no metagame like in a lot of other Strategy games (including Age of Empires 3) either that at least connects the individual campaign missions or something.

I've wanted the developers to make a proper, classic sequel instead of experimenting with the formular. But they chose to not make the game feel classic, but actually rather stuck in time. Like there has been no development moving from Age of Empires 2 to 4.
I found it very funny that you can unlock achievements by playing by yourself, even without AI enemies.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Hmm, think I'm going to start FF14 again, see if I can get me arse from 5.1 to the end of 5.x before Endwalker is out.

Dropped FF14 due to a lot of shit that went down in my life in 2019 and by the time I was ready to spend any time on MMOs PSO2's English release was in full swing and I gravitated to that. Now PSO2 is struggling to keep me and I need a "new" MMO, and Destiny's Vaulting shit just won't fly for me.

Let's see if it can hold on to me this time, I know it held me for most of 2.x, really the only reason I kept dropping it each expansion was because a new tragedy managed to force its way into my life causing me to not be able to commit to anything until it concluded. If this manages to happen again, fuck me.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
I'm tempted but i'm also tempted by FH4.
Is there a list of the big differences between them aside from the setting?
There's some info here. I was initially going to start playing the game on Game Pass and then later on get it on Steam but it seems there is no cross-save between the Windows Store and Steam version of the game so I decided to buy the game through Steam.

• Eyes

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Guardians finished and yeah, easily my GOTY
It's between it and Psychonauts 2 for me, and come to think about it, that's another game that didn't get the sales it deserved and that it will probably never see a sequel.... (I know... Gamepass, but still, only 7k concurrent peak on Steam).

Booooooo :(

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Any recommendations for comfy and ergonomic chairs? Thinking of getting a new one for my desk (no gaming branded stuff please, I find that too tacky).

• This!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
No fucking chance I am watching that 15 minute Elden Ring gameplay tomorrow.

That 3 minute trailer from earlier in the year already spoiled half of the bosses in the game probably. Plus there was other potato footage even earlier that spoiled cool things.

Going in blind the rest of the way. I can't wait tho. Hype is reaching maximum levels.

Please just release without anymore delays

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Stevey

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Decided to give Death's Gambit a second chance and while I did get further than my first attempt, prior to the afterlife update, I think I'm done with it.
The game has absolutely no flow, you're constantly running from one extreme of the map to the other, because having connected areas is too much to ask I guess. The combat is floaty and lacks impact, the upgrade system is super bland and unrewarding (love getting 10hp/vit when enemies hit for 250), the map design is confusing and the whole thing is too damn dark. It's a mess... better than it was previously but a mess nonetheless.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Decided to give Death's Gambit a second chance and while I did get further than my first attempt, prior to the afterlife update, I think I'm done with it.
The game has absolutely no flow, you're constantly running from one extreme of the map to the other, because having connected areas is too much to ask I guess. The combat is floaty and lacks impact, the upgrade system is super bland and unrewarding (love getting 10hp/vit when enemies hit for 250), the map design is confusing and the whole thing is too damn dark. It's a mess... better than it was previously but a mess nonetheless.
Damn, I was hoping this could be a must-buy someday. I really liked the look of it when it released, but reviews have been underwhelming. Guess not much has changed despite the update. My thanks to you and others who write honest reviews like this -- it's hard to filter out the influencer bullshit sometimes.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Why would you drop Rule of Rose by name just like that. It still hurts.
It always annoyed me that this got withdrawn from a release in the UK due to the tabloids making up stories about the content. Would love to see a remake/remaster/emulated version hit steam some day.

Also, I would be all over Guardians of the Galaxy. But something had to give, with about four or five games sat on my PC already and waiting to be played plus the release of Endwalker coming up.

A lot of it is right up my street, being based more on the comic book iteration than the movies (loved the 90's comics, loved the Dan Abnett/Andy Laning version and only started to get bored of them when Brian Bendis took over the run). Hopefully I will be able to grab it and give it a go over the Christmas break.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy

delay won't hurt, Q1 of next year is already looking pretty crowded anyway
I'm convinced unless you earned the benefit of doubt (and I mean really earned it) it's going to be hard to convince someone to shell money for a marvel game. Avengers simply caused too much damage
I fully expect only games like Sony's Spiderman 2 will have great sales

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
I'm convinced unless you earned the benefit of doubt (and I mean really earned it) it's going to be hard to convince someone to shell money for a marvel game. Avengers simply caused too much damage
I fully expect only games like Sony's Spiderman 2 will have great sales
I think this might do well on PC though, X-COM game basically with cards

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Damn, I was hoping this could be a must-buy someday. I really liked the look of it when it released, but reviews have been underwhelming. Guess not much has changed despite the update. My thanks to you and others who write honest reviews like this -- it's hard to filter out the influencer bullshit sometimes.
I strongly disagree with Kio's review, and I'm no influencer 😁

I really liked Death's Gambit, especially after the free expansion. I'm not sure what class Kio played, but for me the combat felt great and I never felt underpowered. All enemy/boss attacks can be dodged, it's just a matter of timing. Also, all areas are actually connected by a huge corridor where you can fast travel using a horse, and you unlock unlimited warping to any save point later in the game. It's definitely one of the best metroidvania's I've played!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Any recommendations for comfy and ergonomic chairs? Thinking of getting a new one for my desk (no gaming branded stuff please, I find that too tacky).
I use an Ikea Markus chair and that's pretty comfortable, I find.

I also use an old used chair I got for 40€ back when I was a student. It looks like it cost 10 times that when it was new (like 30 years ago maybe) and is still in surprisingly good shape, aside from the upper cloth that was falling apart, but also not hard to replace.

Deleted member 113

There's a sale going on on Steam until November 9th, where a part of the proceedings goes to the War Child and Children in Conflict charities:

There's a lot of great developers participating, like Amanita Design, Sam Barlow, inkle Ltd, and plenty more.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I strongly disagree with Kio's review, and I'm no influencer 😁

I really liked Death's Gambit, especially after the free expansion. I'm not sure what class Kio played, but for me the combat felt great and I never felt underpowered. All enemy/boss attacks can be dodged, it's just a matter of timing. Also, all areas are actually connected by a huge corridor where you can fast travel using a horse, and you unlock unlimited warping to any save point later in the game. It's definitely one of the best metroidvania's I've played!
It may just be a case of something not being for everyone. Sounds like the 2-hour refund window should be enough to try it out. I really wanted this one to be good, because the art style is just so cool! BTW, are you sure you're not an influencer? Because I feel influenced.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Thinking of getting a new one for my desk (no gaming branded stuff please, I find that too tacky).
I'm also in the market for a new chair. I was thinking of spending a bit because, well, my back has been bothering me lately and since I already spent most of gaming life in hand-me-down chairs, it's time to actually buy a decent chair.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Steelcase Gesture. It's a bit on the expensive side, so I'll have to track down a showroom I can test the chair first. :flare_mogu:

Thinking of getting the headrest as one of the options, too.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Didn't see it here yet

The head of Square Enix has claimed that Crystal Dynamics was a bad fit for Marvel's Avengers, given its lack of games as a service model experience.

In an overly negative statement published in the company's annual report, Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said that the company needed to learn from the game's "disappointing" performance.

Notably, he highlighted the importance of matching development studios with "game designs" that best suit their skillsets and interests.

Nonetheless, taking on the GaaS model highlighted issues that we are likely to face in future game development efforts such as the need to select game designs that mesh with the unique attributes and tastes of our studios and development teams.

"While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward."
:sweaty-blob:

Krvavi Abadas

Jan 22, 2019
Hmmm, i see the Geforce Now stuff is spreading around again.

(Click the image to go to the article.)

I didn't scrape the dates when i initially got the archive of listed games. But to me it seems to be mostly estimates rather than actual dates. Here's three examples.
  1. Actraiser Renaissance is listed with the release date of October 1st, It actually launched September 23rd.
  2. An "Untitled Hangar 13 Project" has a date of August 2nd, most likely the one that just got cancelled.
  3. Horizon Forbidden West has a date of September 2022, which only really makes sense if Sony didn't delay the game out of 2021.
The most likely explanation is that Nvidia had some basic access to release windows from the developers, and they just filled out the dates to fit around them.
Steam in particular lets developers fill in the "release date" section with whatever text they want, New Blood's stuff notably uses "SOON™" (with the trademark and everything.) for titles that don't have proper release windows, as an example.

But Nvidia's backend specifically requires an exact date to be added, from the looks of things.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I just realized it has been almost over 7 years since I played FF14. Holy moly, I could have sworn it was not nearly that long ago, but sure enough it came out in '13 and I only played for some odd months until I shelved it. Had some folks ask if I was returning haha. It is tempting, though I originally dropped it due to the subscription fee.

___

I really do not need any other games to play, but gosh I am wanting a space game like Elite Dangerous with walkable space stations and/or futuristic cities. I feel like nothing ever replaced Freelancer. Everspace 2 looks so good, but still lacks some of the aspects I liked from Freelancer....

Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Hmmm, i see the Geforce Now stuff is spreading around again.

(Click the image to go to the article.)

I didn't scrape the dates when i initially got the archive of listed games. But to me it seems to be mostly estimates rather than actual dates. Here's three examples.
  1. Actraiser Renaissance is listed with the release date of October 1st, It actually launched September 23rd.
  2. An "Untitled Hangar 13 Project" has a date of August 2nd, most likely the one that just got cancelled.
  3. Horizon Forbidden West has a date of September 2022, which only really makes sense if Sony didn't delay the game out of 2021.
The most likely explanation is that Nvidia had some basic access to release windows from the developers, and they just filled out the dates to fit around them.
Steam in particular lets developers fill in the "release date" section with whatever text they want, New Blood's stuff notably uses "SOON™" (with the trademark and everything.) for titles that don't have proper release windows, as an example.

But Nvidia's backend specifically requires an exact date to be added, from the looks of things.
I just saw that leak and according to that Returnal PC port is being developed by Climax Studios. Wasn't Housemarque the real developer? Weird

Also, System Shock Remake was delayed to 2022 apparently, which I believe since Nightdive has been really quiet about it.

• Eyes