Community MetaSteam | November 2022 - Miles, you gotta go fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The good thing about Ubisoft possibly returning to Steam is that they have a lot of dev teams and resources to really push something like the Steam Deck. If they are actually pushed and motivated the support will be great. Especially for the old catalog and future newer games I think they would do a good job.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
All of these publishers returning to Steam is a big win for the PC gaming community. Back when they left Steam they had only one objective in mind: Not to provide a better service but to extract the maximum amount of money with the minimum amount of effort. PC gamers giving them the middle finger is a satisfying slap on the face of an industry who thought that customers would "go where the games are" as if they were cattle.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
If Ubi does come back, I guess I'll finally get around to buying AC Odyssey on sale. Valhalla is pretty much the only recent game of theirs I'm even remotely interested in right now and making the latest entry in a series inaccessible to me is a surefire way to make me lose interest altogether lol.

I just hope Ubi is consistent with Steam achievements when they come back- I loved 100%ing AC Origins and Odyssey.
Yeah, this too. If they backtrack on this I probably just won't bother. I'm at a point in my life where I have more money to buy games, less time to play them, and no longer feel the need to play absolutely everything that looks like it could be good. So I'm far more selective and have an easier time writing games off entirely over the slightest inconvenience because there's just so much stuff out there that I'm sure to enjoy. It's no longer "No time to play all the games", it's "No time to play all the games that I actually want to play."

The EGS has really accomplished two things as far as I'm concerned:
1) taught me it doesn't matter what the game is, I'll wait as long as I have to
and 2) Ubisoft games are incredibly easy to live without lol.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Incredible, I forgot the admin password for my deck AGAIN. I keep using a password I know I won't forget, yet I do every time. Please valve for gods sake make Vibrant Deck part of the OS so I don't have to keep fucking about with shit like that

Edit, phew! Retried a password and worked the second time. But decky still doesn't work. :cryblob:

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Incredible, I forgot the admin password for my deck AGAIN. I keep using a password I know I won't forget, yet I do every time. Please valve for gods sake make Vibrant Deck part of the OS so I don't have to keep fucking about with shit like that

Edit, phew! Retried a password and worked the second time. But decky still doesn't work. :cryblob:
pro tip:
The password works the third time if you insert the letters veeeeery slowly.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Ok I am going to bite the bullet and have set on getting myself a Steam Deck (I think of it as a xmas present to me from me :D)
Going to get the 64GB and use a microSD and get the Dock later on

Couple q's for anyone who has bought one, preferably UK:

1) Can you set a different shipping address than the billing address when ordering?
2) Do you get a tracking number once it's shipped in order to check in on its progress?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Ok I am going to bite the bullet and have set on getting myself a Steam Deck (I think of it as a xmas present to me from me :D)
Going to get the 64GB and use a microSD and get the Dock later on

Couple q's for anyone who has bought one, preferably UK:

1) Can you set a different shipping address than the billing address when ordering?
2) Do you get a tracking number once it's shipped in order to check in on its progress?
Austria here, but should be the same –
1) dunno tbh, didnt check that, but maybe its in the steam deck faq?
2) yes!

~

All of these publishers returning to Steam is a big win for the PC gaming community. Back when they left Steam they had only one objective in mind: Not to provide a better service but to extract the maximum amount of money with the minimum amount of effort. PC gamers giving them the middle finger is a satisfying slap on the face of an industry who thought that customers would "go where the games are" as if they were cattle.
exactly!

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way sort of an update on Komodo.

It looks like they are still doing events to show off the Steam Deck. It seems like they are still following a similar showcase style to what they did for TGS. Which seems to have been effective at showing off how it works.

They are still slated to be shipping out by the end of the year in Asia.

There is a news outlet in Japan that has the Steam Deck one of the top 15 hot new items for Japan for 2023.

By the way remember the whole Capcom wants PC to be at least 50% of it's sales?

It's starting to make more sense now seeing how it seems that even some "big wigs" at some Japanese companies are viewing the current games market in Japan (once you exclude mobile) as just being made up of the Switch and PC. Square Enix sort of backs this up with their whole the Japanese market is no longer profitable by itself seeing how it's just Nintendo and PS that are big there and well... With the PS5 sales have been piss poor, they may get better with FFXVI and Sony sending more to Japan.

Remember the whole reason that a PS4 version of RE4 even exist from what I gathered was that sales for PS5 would mean that RE4 would sell pretty badly there (so PS5 sales still heavily rely on the PS4)

Going back to the Steam Deck thing, I'm guessing that they are hording a bunch of them since they want to sell a lot to keep momentum going.

I'm not sure about the news for the rest of Asia and if Komodo has been doing stuff in those other regions. I thought I did hear something about it, but I guess not.

If all goes well it's possible that they are even going to have stuff available in select stores as part of launch. Mostly in Akihabara.

Supposedly pre-orders have finally passed the 80k mark how ever it's not clear if that is for Japan or for the rest of Asia. Seeing how stuff is separated by region and the way that order numbers are organized.

Deleted member 113

Only interested in the Scott Pilgrim game, the rest I'm happy if Ubi starts release again, but I really don't want to support that skid mark of a company.
Couldn't have said it better.

I mean, this is the company that decides to close down their servers out of the blue, locking their customers from accessing SINGLE PLAYER content and expansions in the process, because they can't be bothered to update the games to run SP content in offline mode.
They are also the company who previously released their games on Steam, and couldn't be bother to add Steam functionalities to most of them.
Also, the company who listed their titles on Steam (like The Division 2), some even had pre-order options (like Anno 1800), only to take them down, and release them on the EGS (and their store) instead.
And yes, the company whose games feature multiple season passes, DLCs outside of those multiple season passes, and a lot of crappy monetization practices.

After all this, and all the complaints that they release the same crap over and over again with a different coat of paint, I can't believe people are still lining up to give them money. :notlikethisblob:

Last edited by a moderator:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

I forgot mine too but there is way to reset it without deleting everything from the Deck.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Wanted to give everyone one last heads up about the Extra Life stream tomorrow as we close in on the final 12 hours before it starts and to give a better rundown of some things like the incentives.

A couple of them I'm worried I set a little high, but my thought process is that I don't want to make Jaxson sick by giving him too many treats or similarly for myself when it comes to the jelly beans. Right now it's $10 for pets for pets, $10 for Beanboozled, $20 for puppy treats and $25 to wear my cat mask that's almost impossible to see out of and play something difficult. But none of this means that donations need to go toward any of those and even if someone donates less than $10 that's perfectly fine too! No matter the size of the donation it all goes to a great cause, which again is Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. Heck, just getting the word out is a big help too!

I'm not set on a game I'll start off with, but about an hour after we begin I'll be playing some Sackboy co-op with FrancisWM for a couple hours or so. Depending on how things work out I might be joined later in the day by dummmyy for some Phasmophobia and a couple other co-op games and there's a chance I could be joined by another special guest sometime during the night for some Apex Legends and/or Vermintide 2. Then of course we'll still work Jackbox into the mix at some point and I'll try my best to let everyone know on Discord when that starts.

So feel free to stop by and hang out for a while! No worries at all if you can only pop in briefly, it'll be nice seeing some familiar folks no matter how long. :cat-heart-blob:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Noticed something really weird, I was looking through my steam library and seen that some random titles have small amounts listed in the "time played in last 2 weeks" when hovering over them, like ~20 mins or so

But I haven't played the games in question though.
For example I hover over Dusk tile in my library and it says time played last 2 weeks 29 mins, but Ihaven't played it and on the game page it says last played in March.
Anyone ever seen anything like this?

EDIT: looks like not just me?

EDIT 2: yeah seems to be a beta branch bug, I just reverted back to standard and it's gone

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Noticed something really weird, I was looking through my steam library and seen that some random titles have small amounts listed in the "time played in last 2 weeks" when hovering over them, like ~20 mins or so

But I haven't played the games in question though.
For example I hover over Dusk tile in my library and it says time played last 2 weeks 29 mins, but Ihaven't played it and on the game page it says last played in March.
Anyone ever seen anything like this?

EDIT: looks like not just me?

EDIT 2: yeah seems to be a beta branch bug, I just reverted back to standard and it's gone
I have a bug where Steam isn't displaying my recently played games at all. Like I play Cyberpunk a lot lately, but my "recent games" in my library view only shows acquisitions and not played. Cyberpunk is nowhere to be found.

Not a massive pain in the butt or anything, but yeah. Definitely bugs here in the BETA branch for me as well. I reckon I can get out of the BETA now anyway tbh. Back in the past I only opted into the beta because I wanted the shiny new UI. These days the UI has been rolled out to non-beta users right? :thinking-face:

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ubisoft back on steam huh. Hope they plan to back-port more than just AssCreed.

Aside from Gears of War, Ubisoft is almost the sole owner of AAA Third-person shooters these days between Ghost Recon and The Division.
I mean, if they are coming back I'm guessing they will get most of what didn't come to Steam. Breakpoint might not come as the game is done but the rest? I could see them doing so.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Very well said. Of course there are lots of people who don't give a shit. But the loyal PC gaming enthousiasts - the people who buy the most games - have proved once again that they value respect and a good service. Both Epic's money hatting failing and the return of big publishers to Steam are proof of this.

Also, Ubisoft returning to Steam makes Epic's failure to push big publishers away from Steam complete. A big win indeed. 🥰

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Very well said. Of course there are lots of people who don't give a shit. But the loyal PC gaming enthousiasts - the people who buy the most games - have proved once again that they value respect and a good service. Both Epic's money hatting failing and the return of big publishers to Steam are proof of this.

Also, Ubisoft returning to Steam makes Epic's failure to push big publishers away from Steam complete. A big win indeed. 🥰
I don't think it's only PC enthusiasts, people in general sees Steam as PC gaming so when they have to check out other platforms such as EGS, Uplay etc. they find out how well made Steam actually is and starts getting reluctant in using EGS and such.

In some way it's the same way with movies, sometimes you have you check out some really bad and mediocre movies to realize how good good movies actually are.

GOG is actually much more in line with actual PC enthusiasts, the problem is that GOG only makes a few hundred thousands yearly, barely has any profit (if any) and is a niche store. GOG mentions is on Reddit, ERA, MetaCouncil, but not outside it.

Also, GOG Galaxy is still put together with ducktape. Only reason I have it installed is because of the old ultima games, the exclusive Metal Gear games and Heroes M&M3.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I recently rebought Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam during a sale just so I could avoid using GOG Galaxy.

In other news, I’m back from Africa with my Steam Deck in tow. A few hiccups with DRM on games making playing on the go difficult, but in the most part a great device to travel with.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The main factors behind the current boom are:
  • A growing acceptance of foreign and indie games, which are more accessible and often cheaper on Steam or the Epic store (PUBG was a particularly big driver for Japan’s PC gaming scene around 2017/2018)
  • Simply more availability of Japan-made PC games, driven by new insight of Japan’s studios such as Capcom (9697) that this platform can be actually very lucrative (Steam in particular is among the standard launch platforms for many Japanese studios nowadays, something very rare just a few years ago)
  • Steam has a drastically improved store front for the Japanese audience and expanded its presence (the first iterations several years ago were terrible and didn’t even offer prices in yen, for example – but the usability is now much better, physical Steam top-up cards are available everywhere in Japan etc.)
For example, Valve says that Japan not only finally entered Steam’s top 10 country ranking but currently boasts one of the highest growth rates worldwide.

As another interesting factoid, 40 of the 60 games showcased by Japan’s big 6 video game studios at this year’s Tokyo Game Show were compatible with Steam – as opposed to just 38 for PS5 (according to a check by The Nikkei).
There's more information in the article, but those points were specifically related to Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.