Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Glad this is confirmed to be coming to PC and not just Switch; I have positive memories of playing the original NES game on an emulator as a kid and recall thinking that it held up better than a lot of other exploration-based games from that era. (i.e. the Zeldas, Metroid 1, Simon's Quest, etc.) I can't say I'm terribly optimistic about the sequel (the procgen/roguelike elements sound like a bad idea), but at least the art style looks quite nice and it's good to see a publisher reviving a retro IP everyone had assumed was long dead.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I think I will eventually buy the OLED Steam Deck, how ever I think I will do so when they do another Limited Edition. I just don't have the money right now to buy the current limited edition.

As others have mentioned the current upgrades are something else. I use my Steam deck almost daily and those changes are very welcome.

Things are looking pretty good. But I still feel like Valve has until the release of the Switch 2, to sell as many Gen 1 Steam Deck units as they possibly can't. And it's not that people will just stop buying the Steam Deck, but rather it's because of how more casual people may end up buying that and also were people will buy their games. If they want to play their game on the go and the Switch 2, is anywhere near as powerful as the Steam Deck especially with DLSS, then even if they have a Steam Deck and a Switch 2, they might rather buy that game for the Switch 2.

Steam Deck 2 will be pretty cool since you already know that it will sell well. It will likely cost a bit more than the current ones do but you will likely get much better performance along with a lot of other features that people have asked for. Maybe instead of doing 1080p they decided to stick to 800p or end up doing something else.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
I would assume the Mac costs as much as the other two combined, or is it even more?

Really looking forward to Kuro next year. It will be nice to have a new Trails game that offers a fresh start for the series.
I think I'll purchase it but wait until all 3 calvard games will be out and localized (assuming it'll "only" be 3 calvard games) mostly because i love bingeplaying these back to back, always feels like a huge adventure.

Guess that means I'll play the Kuro games in 2025/2026 or something

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Yu Suzuki's Air Twister is out

curious point, I was looking for a key -for Steam- then I looked on Kinguin so it seems it had some PS5 keys, then I said well I want a Steam key but I really don't mind if it's a PS5 key (pretty weird since sony doesn't bring ps keys since 2 years), then I purchased it with AKS14 discount code. I tried that code which obviously did not work -it wasn't PS key format-, but It had Steam format so I tried on Steam and voilà it worked. Nice, got the game on Steam for 14,04 euros. :p

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So maybe a dumb question but I would be interested in getting this new version of the Steam Deck.

I normally live in Europe but I am going to be in China for a month or so due to family commitments (before Novembert 16th). Can I buy the Steam Deck from there and have it shipped to my home in Europe? I'm not interested in cheaper prices or anything, I'm talking about paying the European price and having it sent to my home in Europe.

Does it affect anything that I normally use VPN there? I don't want to get into trouble with my account, if you advise me to wait until I get back, I'll trust you guys.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
How long has it been since the Deck launch ? Was it February 2021 or 2022 ?
Bah, sorry, I'm a huge proponent of asking dumb questions for the sake of discussion and community, but this is just a google search away.

So yeah, February 2022. So in Europe I think the baby still has a couple of month under warranty.

That being said...
How the fuck does warranty work when you sell your unit to someone else ?
I mean, in a traditional product you have a receipt and that's that. How does it work there ?

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I think Reverie was my last Trails game. I'm burned out. Really had to force myself through the CS saga. If I start Kuro I'm going to end up forcing myself through multiple 100 hour games again just to see it through to the end. It's not that I hated it but the writing took such a nosedive, which combined with the bloating and constant asset reuse is just too much. I'd rather put that time into other games. Even within the same genre there's so much awesome stuff coming out next year.

If I ever manage to scrap some cash together I'm going to be really torn between upgrading or the new deck (I never got the original deck). But for now, no money no problem.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So maybe a dumb question but I would be interested in getting this new version of the Steam Deck.

I normally live in Europe but I am going to be in China for a month or so due to family commitments (before Novembert 16th). Can I buy the Steam Deck from there and have it shipped to my home in Europe? I'm not interested in cheaper prices or anything, I'm talking about paying the European price and having it sent to my home in Europe.

Does it affect anything that I normally use VPN there? I don't want to get into trouble with my account, if you advise me to wait until I get back, I'll trust you guys.
Try to log in to your account while you are abroad, and see if it shows you Euro prices (assuming your country has the Euro). I think Steam uses your acount's set region primarily so I guess buying it should be ok as long as you ship to an EU address?
I think Reverie was my last Trails game. I'm burned out. Really had to force myself through the CS saga. If I start Kuro I'm going to end up forcing myself through multiple 100 hour games again just to see it through to the end. It's not that I hated it but the writing took such a nosedive, which combined with the bloating and constant asset reuse is just too much. I'd rather put that time into other games. Even within the same genre there's so much awesome stuff coming out next year.

If I ever manage to scrap some cash together I'm going to be really torn between upgrading or the new deck (I never got the original deck). But for now, no money no problem.
Don't feel forced to play them if you are not having a good time. I never felt burned out in my time with the series, and I also make sure to put at least a couple months between games for that reason. Even the weakest Trails game (CS II) is still pretty fun to me, since I greatly enjoy the core loop of the series (some games just utilise it better than others). Same reason I had little to complain about the bloat. Sure, at times it would have been nicer if the script was tighter, but I never got the impression that additional content was useless, it's the writers wanting to show you what happens to each character and generally trying to live up to the strengths of the series, which is the continuity in is writing. I would argue the writing itself has always been kinda subpar, basic cliche Anime stuff, but the world building and the fact that you get to see how this world changes over time makes it so much more interesting to me even if the actual plot of any one game is pretty mid.
But if the things I listed there do not mean anything to you, and the games are otherwise not fun to you, then you are probably just wasting your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon1893

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder if Valve is gonna put out an update for any of its games to add HDR, to coincide with the OLED Deck launch. At the very least, it'd be a good thing to add to Aperture Desk Job.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
basic cliche Anime stuff, but the world building and the fact that you get to see how this world changes over time makes it so much more interesting to me even if the actual plot of any one game is pretty mid.
Yeah the writing was never much different, I think it's just rose tinted glasses.
You have the sky bandits commenting on how better Joshua fights in in Sky SC the first time we meet him again and he literally goes on how now that his memories are back it's like a switch flipped in his head and his body is using energy more efficently.
Or the whole thing about Cassius mastering Helix and dabbling in Void (which back then made little sense to me given how weirdly it was explained).

The whole series is basically filled with chuuni stuff (which personally I love) and I never felt like sky arc was much different from crossbell or cold steel in that department.

One thing I feel like is definitely different though is that Ouroboros in Sky was perceived as more "malicious" but it can be chalked up to Weissmann running the show and some of the characters being definitely more "extreme" (Walter, Luciola, Campanella and Renne before mellowing out vs Duvalie, Ines, Ennea and Sharon), that kinda alter the perception of the society imho.

Ofc that also reflects characters growing as people, like Renne and Sharon leaving the society behind and Shirley calming down compared to back then in Crossbell

Last edited:
Reactions: sprinkles

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wonder if Valve is gonna put out an update for any of its games to add HDR, to coincide with the OLED Deck launch. At the very least, it'd be a good thing to add to Aperture Desk Job.
The original Half-Life’s got a beta going on right now.

Plus Valve are working on new games specced for the Deck, so I suspect they’ll retrofit any new features to older games if it’s possible. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done it.

Reactions: TheTrain

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
The original Half-Life’s got a beta going on right now.

Plus Valve are working on new games specced for the Deck, so I suspect they’ll retrofit any new features to older games if it’s possible. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done it.
I heard about that beta, yeah. Dunno if that's exactly the best showcase for HDR though. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
Kinda weird that it's specifically the original version of Half-Life, and not Half-Life Source. I know HL Sauce is kind of doodoo, but... IDK, man.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Air Twister is OK. Space Harrier is better (never mind sequels like Planet Harriers or games like Sin & Punishment or Panzer Dragoon). This may have tried to be atmospheric with having a ton of stuff in the encyclopedia-like section, but it's pretty sterile in every way. Technically it has some nice tunes and designs at least but it just misses the mark in my opinion, maybe a bigger budget or better, more experienced developer (outside Yu obviously) would convey things better. It's not bad and has a TON of unlockables that add to longevity in a way that would have been nice to have in the usually barren classics. It's worth having if you like the genre but I hope Asura the Striker will turn out better (it's not just about being faster, which I imagine the Turbo unlockable in Air Twister takes care of).

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
It isn't a big deal to some but isn't this the first game with actual, full nudity + sex scenes (I mean, not as "hardcore" as some games but still count as far as puritans are concerned) that is winning major awards like this?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It isn't a big deal to some but isn't this the first game with actual, full nudity + sex scenes (I mean, not as "hardcore" as some games but still count as far as puritans are concerned) that is winning major awards like this?
Would The Witcher 3 count? I know it had romance scenes and nudity, but I don't remember it showing genitals like BG3.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Call of the Mountain as best VR game is bullshit. Why did they have a category per system, to please everybody equally instead of just rank the games and pit them against each other on their merits, that's bullshit. Is Starfield better than R4make since R4make is best PS5 game but is also on Xbox yet on Xbox Starfield won over it or? Bullshit. And how is Baldur's Gate III the bestest if it also is available on PS5 but on PS5 R4make won? Bullshitadshow, even if BGIII deserves it.

Reactions: lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan

Steam will still be set to your home region, so EU. This mean nothing changes unless you get a bank and physical address in China. Though they have their own version of steam.

I also don't know about China but the Asia region listed on my store are: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong all have to buy it from a third party website in Japan.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Would The Witcher 3 count? I know it had romance scenes and nudity, but I don't remember it showing genitals like BG3.
I still haven't played it somehow, but yea that is probably the closest then

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Steam will still be set to your home region, so EU. This mean nothing changes unless you get a bank and physical address in China. Though they have their own version of steam.

I also don't know about China but the Asia region listed on my store are: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong all have to buy it from a third party website in Japan.

In Hong Kong you can buy the Steam Deck in Acer stores from what I remember. They sell them in their Acer Predator stores.

Congrats to larian but you left out the most important award

FF7 Rebirth won most anticipated game. Against 19 other contenders.
FF7 got lucky. If these awards had a deadline of December, then it would have been 1 of 20 other contenders that didn't get the award.

That being said we can all look forward to FF7 Rebirth releasing on Steam in 2025

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Supposedly outside of Japan people are liking the PS Portal, how ever in Japan there seems to be more criticism? Maybe it's just a small vocal minority thing? Other wise if not, then is Sony catering to their audience mainly outside of Japan?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
There's been rumors about a nvidia 40 series refresh, if these rumors are true, these cards will be announced at CES (January).
  • 4070 Super - 7168 cores (4070 has 5888), 12GB of VRAM, 225W TGP
  • 4070 Ti Super - 8448 cores (4070 Ti has 7680), 16GB of VRAM, 285W TGP
  • 4080 Super - 10240 cores (4080 has 9728), 16GB of VRAM, 320W TGP
EDIT: On another note, seems like Micron GDDR7 VRAM is on track for the 2nd half of 2024~2025, the first generation seems like it will introduce 3GB chips in addition to 2GB ones, this could allow the following VRAM configurations for the next generation of GPUs (though this will all depend on how amd and nvidia use these, I could see nvidia sticking just to the 2GB chips, with how stingy they are with VRAM):
  • 128-bit bus width - 8GB or 12GB
  • 192-bit bus width - 12GB or 18GB
  • 256-bit bus width - 16GB or 24GB
  • 320-bit bus width - 20GB or 30GB
  • 384-bit bus width - 24GB or 36GB

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
There's been rumors about a nvidia 40 series refresh, if these rumors are true, these cards will be announced at CES (January).
These are marginal improvements at best. The extra VRAM is welcome but I'm also expecting a 10-20% price increase compared to each of their predecessors, so it's completely not worth it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
These are marginal improvements at best. The extra VRAM is welcome but I'm also expecting a 10-20% price increase compared to each of their predecessors, so it's completely not worth it.
Both the 4070 Supers have a decent jump in core count (plus the extra VRAM in the Ti Super), but the 4080 Super feels really pointless unless the price is good (which it won't be).
Though, we don't know yet how either core and memory clocks will be, the Radeon RX 7900 GRE core count is close to the 7900 XT, but its performance is closer to the 7800 XT because of both low core and memory clocks (though, the GRE is meant for just pre-built PCs anyway).

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am really enjoying Robocop. It has great graphics, stunning environmental details, engaging gunplay, and most importantly humorous moments. I have played and completed 11 games in 2023 so far (just updated the addiction log thread!) and this is definitely top of the line. Very likely my GOTY since I haven't finished Tears of the Kingdom nor played Baldur's Gate 3.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I am really enjoying Robocop. It has great graphics, stunning environmental details, engaging gunplay, and most importantly humorous moments. I have played and completed 11 games in 2023 so far (just updated the addiction log thread!) and this is definitely top of the line. Very likely my GOTY since I haven't finished Tears of the Kingdom nor played Baldur's Gate 3.
I finished Robocop yesterday as well and it's the most pleasant surprise of the year. I thought the graphics were stunning at points on Xbox and I've seen screenshots on PC that were far beyond what console is pushing. The non-Robocop character models are kinda jank, but the environments are next level. I also enjoyed the unique gameplay and appreciated it was short and sweet (only took me about 11 hours to finish). The game feels like a mid budget PS2 title but with modern bells and whistles. Even though I'm not a massive Robocop fan, you can also tell the devs had great respect for the source material.

It'll make my GOTY list for sure.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I finished Robocop yesterday as well and it's the most pleasant surprise of the year. I thought the graphics were stunning at points on Xbox and I've seen screenshots on PC that were far beyond what console is pushing. The non-Robocop character models are kinda jank, but the environments are next level. I also enjoyed the unique gameplay and appreciated it was short and sweet (only took me about 11 hours to finish). The game feels like a mid budget PS2 title but with modern bells and whistles. Even though I'm not a massive Robocop fan, you can also tell the devs had great respect for the source material.

It'll make my GOTY list for sure.
Yeah I am playing on Xbox and very satisfied by the graphics. Definitely going to double dip and play it again after upgrading my PC in the future. I have just completed the steel mill section so probably halfway to go judging from the achievement list. To me the environment looks photo-realistic at some places. The ruined buildings, tears and drippings on concretes and rusty fences, rocks and stones in different color, puddles on muddy places... I have not played many recent AAA games so I am biased, but this is probably the most beautiful game I have played in recent years.

I love the first two movies and spot some references to them in the game. It is definitely a love letter to Robocop fans. So good.

Reactions: Arc and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
EDIT: On another note, seems like Micron GDDR7 VRAM is on track for the 2nd half of 2024~2025, the first generation seems like it will introduce 3GB chips in addition to 2GB ones, this could allow the following VRAM configurations for the next generation of GPUs (though this will all depend on how amd and nvidia use these, I could see nvidia sticking just to the 2GB chips, with how stingy they are with VRAM):
  • 128-bit bus width - 8GB or 12GB
  • 192-bit bus width - 12GB or 18GB
  • 256-bit bus width - 16GB or 24GB
  • 320-bit bus width - 20GB or 30GB
  • 384-bit bus width - 24GB or 36GB
If a 4070 Super has a reasonable price, or if not at leasts lowers the price of a regular 4070, I might pick one of them up.
Probably a better investment than buying a new Steam Deck for me personally

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
It's amazing how little I care about new GPUs these days. I used to follow graphics card news religiously, then Nvidia and AMD decided to fuck everyone over with absurd pricing, I had to buy a laptop as a stopgap and now I just don't care. My next 'upgrade' will most likely be the next Steam Deck, I'm done with desktop gaming unless something changes radically.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Pretty tempted about the Steam Deck OLED, I wanted a new portable platform to replace my 3DS, I was waiting for the Switch successor, but there's only a few Nintendo franchises that I'm interested in, the Switch successor would also mean more games to buy and the online subscription, while with a Steam Deck I can play games that I already own (plus I could emulate a few old games that I haven't played in more than a decade).

Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.