Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Ive been so long away from linux related(expect steam deck) so Im curious what doors would open? What would you be able to do that you can't do currently?

If I ever build a PC again I would love to go pure Linux on it.
I meant in terms of hardware I could buy. I love the idea of owning a Framework laptop at some point in the future.
for images - yeah, kinda (i REALLY wish Affinity would move their ass and port that shit to linux)

but for video, nah fam - not when there's DaVinci Resolve
Okay that’s fair enough. Video editing was a very small part of my work, so I haven’t researched it fully.

Agreed that Affinity needs to work on Linux, though. I know Serif are a small outfit, but if you want to break the Adobe monopoly you also need to break the Windows monopoly.

Adobe have stitched up the market like a kipper and there’s no way you’re gonna make headway on Windows.

Alas, the upfront cost of making an unprofitable Linux version is very risky. It took Valve 10 years to get barely 2% of Steam users running Linux, so it’s a hard sell and a bit of a slog to make it work when there are bills to pay right now.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Agreed that Affinity needs to work on Linux, though. I know Serif are a small outfit, but if you want to break the Adobe monopoly you also need to break the Windows monopoly.

Adobe have stitched up the market like a kipper and there’s no way you’re gonna make headway on Windows.

Alas, the upfront cost of making an unprofitable Linux version is very risky. It took Valve 10 years to get barely 2% of Steam users running Linux, so it’s a hard sell and a bit of a slog to make it work when there are bills to pay right now.
yeah, pretty much all of this, exactly!

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands

What is Valve cooking? :thinking-face:

Also Robocop rules. I usually hate slow games, but the slow pace adds a lot. I know he can run, but I refuse to do it. I'm playing him like a lumbering tank that came from King's Field and that's the way I likes it.
25 5-2 = 3 HalfLife3 confirmed!!

I like how Robo is like the movies. A tank that can take bunch of hits. The only thing I dont like about the game is the performance. Lighting looks quite decent but holy hell my GPU acts like crazy when playing the game.

Reactions: Arc

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
macOS has its flaws, but it’s god-tier compared to Windows.

As a daily user of both, Windows is this horrible shapeshifting monstrosity that is continually changing in ever more user hostile ways.

macOS is pleasantly consistent and good to use.
I feel like the choice here is between competent evil and chaotic evil.
I take the latter since I trust there to be a way around all the stuff I hate, while that might not be the case in something more competently managed.

Edit:
Hell yeah OLED Deck

Edit 2:
Hell naw WTF is this shit
This item is not available in your country

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
How much are the new decks? Says they aren’t available here in France so can’t see price.

Guessing these are the Europe price (and I hope that "This item is not available" is just a temporary weirdness/not yet life)

Reactions: Le Pertti

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Better screen, better battery. Only things I really want for a revision. NOT AVAILABLE in EU? WTH is this?

• This!
Reactions: Amzin

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Not having variable refresh rate is a shame though.
Yeah, since they added VRR support to SteamOS I thought that'd be a feature of the revised unit.

Hopefully we can still adjust the refresh rate of this.

Reactions: Le Pertti

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Ooh, apparently the OLED Deck can go up to 90hz.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
How long has it been since the Deck release? 2 years? Feels kinda early for a hardware revision.
I'll skip this one and see what the future brings in ~3 years (still loving my original Deck!)

edit: no one is talking about the real hero of the new deck, the 2.5m charging cable is game changing

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
OLED Deck looks really nice but I'm gonna pass until I feel my OG start to die or something. I think its better to wait for the next gen sequel. If Valve is going by the NIntendo timeline then we should be 2-3 years away now.

But am excited to see the battery benchmarks tho and if it really reaches 12hrs on old games :love: That is really gonna be incredible. The future of handheld gaming is going to be fucking crazy.

But if you're not excited, then why do you intend to play it on consoles right away? Just wait.
I don't intend on playing it right away. I still haven't bought a next gen console. I just mean from a fomo hype perspective you won't have any other choice but to play it on consoles when it releases. Which is very lame and makes it all unexciting for a big open world game (from a visual/tech perspective).

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Apparently you can wake the Deck OLED with a bluetooth controller, which is very cool. Brings it closer to being a comfy couch device too!

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
25% more battery
90hz display
charging from 20% -> 80% in 45 minutes.

Fucking hell man these 3 things alone pretty much make it as good of a refresh as it could have been. Props to Valve.

The Deck 2 standards keep rising now. AMD/Valve can take their sweet time to cook what is needed.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Getting the "perfect" version just a year and a half later kinda stings a bit, but at the same time I've already gotten at least a couple hundred hours out of the Deck already and will likely continue to use it, and the glowing reviews make it hard to resist...
But only if a Deck 2 is further out, if there's one in another 1.5 years getting this one would sting even more, but if it's further out I'd probably regret not grabbing.
Decisions, decisions.
I'll probably put in a reservation though, cause why not.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
i don't use mine as much as I thought so I'll stick with my LCD one and see what happens when 2.0 is out

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Currently saving up to get a new PC early next year, but will get the OLED 1TB model at some point in March or April, maybe sooner.

• Eyes
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So it’s only the tacky transparent sku that is US / Canada only ?
Hmm, I may have to sell my deck tomorrow.

Then again, I would be extremely surprised to be as lucky with the queue as the first time.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
While Valve says that the performance target of the new Deck is unchanged from the old one, I actually found that the revised model is around two percent to nine percent faster than the original, depending on content.
Criticisms? Well, I'd have liked to have seen another USB-C port and prospective users also need to accept that we're a long way off from a new Steam Deck arriving - and there's no doubt that some of the more demanding games don't run great with the existing performance level. That said, you'll never be short of titles that do play exceptionally well - and the OLED screen is an excellent reason to revisit some of your library titles. Batman Arkham Knight was my first port of call and I did not come away disappointed.

With competing Windows handhelds delivering more power at the expense of a good user experience and decent battery life, what was arguably the best PC portable money can buy is now much, much better. Valve describes Steam Deck OLED as the definitive first generation model and it's hard to disagree, but that does a disservice to the firm's overall achievements in the handheld space since the original launched in early 2022.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.