Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Persona 5 Tactica got pretty middling reviews. I'll likely give it a pass for now and grab a Steam copy on the cheap in the future.

Reactions: QFNS

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Persona 5 Tactica got pretty middling reviews. I'll likely give it a pass for now and grab a Steam copy on the cheap in the future.
Definitely sounds like one aimed at fans.

I’ve think I’ll be done with Persona 5 after this. Strikers was good, but I found PQ2 and the rhythm game lacking, so I’m expecting I’ll get through this once and forget about it.

Reactions: QFNS and Arc

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Japanese adult game platform DLSite forced to block German users
DLSite had no other choice than to forbid German users from purchasing their products.
DLSite began banning German users on November 2nd, as the users were receiving errors when attempting to access their website.
from their discord:

Reactions: MegaApple

Censored

Oct 8, 2021
if anybody buys (released today)

remember there's the uncensored +18 patch on johren for free (nearly 2GB download)
if anybody cares I created the graphic things as it should be to replace the Steam ones:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Japanese adult game platform DLSite forced to block German users
DLSite had no other choice than to forbid German users from purchasing their products.
DLSite began banning German users on November 2nd, as the users were receiving errors when attempting to access their website.
from their discord:
DL Site has an official discord?

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Is this coming to Steam? So far it says "console times exclusive".

If that's the case, what a shame Playism, WSSG, and Ladybug.

I guess their other games just didn't do that well on Steam, or they maybe they did end up selling 3X amounts on eShop vs Steam.

No worries, PC is confirmed too

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

This is blowing on on Steam and has over 50k CCU.

Definitely sounds like one aimed at fans.

I’ve think I’ll be done with Persona 5 after this. Strikers was good, but I found PQ2 and the rhythm game lacking, so I’m expecting I’ll get through this once and forget about it.
I went ahead and read Tactica spoilers and it's basically Persona Q2 all over again. I was obsessed with Persona 5 back in the day (I bought all the games and spent hundreds of dollars for figures of the party members and Kawakami/Takemi) but Tactica feels like the same old same old. I'm also not particularly excited for Persona 3 Reload as it feels like the devs are just trying to emulate what made Persona 5 great instead of giving it a distinct identity. I hope Persona 6 brings back my passion for the franchise.

Not all hope is lost for Atlus though. Unicorn Overload and Metaphor both look great.

Reactions: Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I got confused and thought UFO Robot Grendizer is Megaton Musashi and was absolutely shocked with how low budget and stock engine/asset flip like it feels.

I was conflicted they get some things like the style (though lod pop in is crazy bad all over the place) then botch tiny levels, invisible walls, the hit reactions, etc.

I kept thinking ok, it's ok I guess but couldn't it be a little bit more polished please, like low budget games like Platinum's Transformers game or a Level 5 game?

Now I feel kinda bad because it apparently is a small time studio's game after all (though I think they could go lower than the 40 EUR) but feelings don't change.

I'm going to guess that even with tempered expectations it starting off with 100% positive rate is mostly because of super nostalgic fans of the old anime series.

This:

Is not this:

Though one of the various Megaton Musashi versions/updates so far did have a Grendizer collaboration (an anime show reboot is coming in 2024 apparently).

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaApple

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Hey, a useful new shortcut key in Win 11.

I don't like having to scroll down to see the mixer though when there's still much vertical space left.
I've grown quite fond of GNOME's Quick Settings, but it's good to see Windows finally making switching audio output better.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Gaiden done. 28 hours. Anticlimatic final bit difficulty/struggle wise (I'm not OP, the Four Kings side content owns me) but the story was solid (still didn't get to know the antagonists enough, the new allies don't get enough bonding time either) and gave another perspective to the last Yakuza events.

I think I did the majority of the side content sans slot car racing and the Four Kings stuff. The Like a Dragon 8 demo unlocks afterwards and is a nice tease for the full game. Exploring whole new areas will be great and they look so well realized too. Kiryu as a party member and his gimmick are nifty.

The story revelations here essentially bring Kiryu back a bit too much after being cameo-like in the last game, they explain everything about his involvement in that story. I'm kinda hoping 8 will be his last game (but they better not kill him!), Ichiban deserves to not play second fiddle to a legend.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I'm going to guess that even with tempered expectations it starting off with 100% positive rate is mostly because of super nostalgic fans of the old anime series.
Well that for sure, but considering what happened with the Tintin game released by Microids not even a week ago I think some people are fine with getting a Grendizer game that at least works, even if it's low budget

Reactions: Alextended

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Rocket League being in the top 10 while it hasn't been available on Steam for over 3 years is pretty funny.

Can WB just die already? How have they not yet?

I only feel for their workforce. It must be miserable there.
WB as a whole is a zombie company. The funny thing is their games division is one of the few bright spots as Zaslav said it has been profitable for 15 consecutive years and Hogwarts made over $1 billion.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Starfield being such a dud is not something I honestly expected at all. Like sure I didn't expect the game to be good personally but that's never mattered in the past, their games were always massive and "event" like. But sales were low from what we could tell and as we can see on the circana/NPD charts it dropped from #1 to 14 best seller (biggest drop of anything on their chart month to month) and just before I posted this I checked the steam numbers and they've dipped so low that Witcher 3 is just about to surpass it in CCU.

Combine all this with the game only getting a single nomination at TGA yesterday and it paints a really dire picture. Entering this year starfield was probably the most hyped game next to zelda which makes sense since Bethesda has the 2nd most gotys ever behind Naughty Dog. I guess their game design has just fallen too far behind the rest of the industry and it's finally hurting them.

Reactions: xinek and C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think it also has to do with the fact that a space game doesn’t necessarily work as well with Bethesda’s template.

If Starfield was The Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 5 it would’ve fared better because those worlds and settings just work better with what Bethesda does.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Starfield being such a dud is not something I honestly expected at all. Like sure I didn't expect the game to be good personally but that's never mattered in the past, their games were always massive and "event" like. But sales were low from what we could tell and as we can see on the circana/NPD charts it dropped from #1 to 14 best seller (biggest drop of anything on their chart month to month) and just before I posted this I checked the steam numbers and they've dipped so low that Witcher 3 is just about to surpass it in CCU.

Combine all this with the game only getting a single nomination at TGA yesterday and it paints a really dire picture. Entering this year starfield was probably the most hyped game next to zelda which makes sense since Bethesda has the 2nd most gotys ever behind Naughty Dog. I guess their game design has just fallen too far behind the rest of the industry and it's finally hurting them.
Also, Xbox is not a big platform. Not releasing on Sony platforms is a dumb decision by Microsoft.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
If Starfield was The Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 5 it would’ve fared better because those worlds and settings just work better with what Bethesda does.
If Elder Scrolls VI ends up being a "fast travel simulator" like Starfield that one too will be a dud too
Bethesda games live on their world. The quests can be shit, the story can be shit, the combat can be shit, but none of this matters because getting lost in the world, exploring it, "living" it is what makes them unique compared to any other. In Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/FO3/FONV/FO4 after the tutorial quest you don't enter a menu to teleport to Vivec/Imperial City/Whiterun/New Vegas/Diamond City, you walk there. While you walk there you can take detours, find caves, find loot, hunt animals, find side quests etc. None of this is in Starfield. To get to New Atlantis you have to quick travel, to get anywhere else you have to quick travel. New Atlantis is filled with nameless and lifeless npcs. New Atlantis has basically no interior to enter. If you "fly" your spaceship you will never "discover" a new area (or even enter it). When you get on a non-quest planet you will only find randomly generated places with nothing to do in them (hell even on quest-planets only the quest area is non random too!). All quests are obtained in the main planets alone, or after you exit fast travel

Imagine ES6 is like Arena. The entirety of Tamriel is explorable. All regions are there, all regions have their unique loot
Except everything is randomly generated except one central town in each region and the Story dungeons (like Arena). 90% of the NPCs have no schedule or names. You can exit a town and walk in a random direction, but no matter how much time you spend you will never reach another place. But you can summon your travel cart and instantly get where you need no matter how far away it is. And that's the entire game: magic riding a cart from a place to the next with no reason to ever do anything else
That's Starfield. I defended Skyrim many threads ago. I will always disagree Bethesda games are "wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle". They can appear like that to some that but the "depth" is there. Is in the world, in the living world they simulate
But no. Starfield is indefensible. That game is truly "wide as a galaxy and deep as a puddle". The game is a "checklist simulator" no different from many other bad open world games. That's the game ultimately: fast travel from the quest menu to the next quest target, complete it and them move to the next quest I don't care where they set ES6 in but for the love of Akatosh don't make the same mistake Starfield did
Also, Xbox is not a big platform. Not releasing on Sony platforms is a dumb decision by Microsoft.
Nah I disagree. PC is and will always be the biggest platform for their games. Remember Skyrim was literally unplayable on PS3, but in the long run all of their games suffer from that issue (its the save file bloat which caused that issue because everything you do is saved and sooner or later the save simply gets too big for a console to read). You can try the game on consoles but only the pc version realizes their potential even outside of modding
Besides even if it released on ps5 Starfield would have been a dud regardless. Its problems are universal

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
It’s funny. I was looking forward to Starfield being my next game after BG3. As time has gone and the general air of “it’s ok, I suppose” has got me to wait for a discount or at the very least the mod scene to mature.

instead, now, I am looking forward to Rogue Trader instead.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I don't disagree that it definitely hurt them compared to past games but even on PC their numbers were dramatically worse than expected. Its max peak CCU was only like 50k more than skyrim and was almost 200k less than Fallout 4 and both of those came out when steam was massively smaller than it is now. I know gamepass is out there but we all know the issues with windows store and how few people want to use it, other gamepass games seem to do very well on steam and surpass their previous entries.

Reactions: xinek

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
If Elder Scrolls VI ends up being a "fast travel simulator" like Starfield that one too will be a dud too
I don’t disagree with your overall post, but I think my point was that the world of The Elder Scrolls lends itself to not being a fast travel sim for all the reasons you described.

Starfield’s world design abstracts itself away from what people like about Bethesda open worlds and Bethesda didn’t really do anything to accommodate for that.

On paper Starfield is actually pretty cool. A lot of people want the kind of game Starfield promised, but Bethesda failed to bring their magic to the moment-to-moment travelling gameplay, so you find yourself fast-travelling between worlds and because each planet is so disconnected from the rest of the open world, the on-planet stuff feels incredibly pointless and disconnected.

What Starfield needed was Bethesda’s trademark open world randomness and sense of exploration in the ships - but they failed to replicate that, as you correctly pointed out, so the whole thing falls apart.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
This is one of the frustrating things about game companies (aside from maybe Nintendo) -- they don't seem to have any understanding of why people like games. The Battlefield franchise is a good example. People wanted more of what made Bad Company 2 outstanding, and none of that has been included in later games, not even a bit. Instead. Battlefield has tried to chase trends or be a COD alternative. Here, we have Bethesda seemingly not understanding what made Skyrim such a legendary success. Why have people played and talked about certain games for literally years, even buying them multiple times? It's a fucking mystery, I guess.

Idk if this is due to suits making decisions, focus group testing, or what, but it's not like it's hard to observe the online communities of gamers to find out exactly what things grab people. It's not like we make it a secret. Don't these companies like money? It would be different if their stupid ideas resulted in huge successes, but from my perspective, the industry has been releasing disappointing flops left and right for a few years now and learning nothing.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Nah I disagree. PC is and will always be the biggest platform for their games. Remember Skyrim was literally unplayable on PS3, but in the long run all of their games suffer from that issue (its the save file bloat which caused that issue because everything you do is saved and sooner or later the save simply gets too big for a console to read). You can try the game on consoles but only the pc version realizes their potential even outside of modding
Besides even if it released on ps5 Starfield would have been a dud regardless. Its problems are universal
You're preaching to the choir here, no one here will doubt the game (like every game) is best on PC. But I'm saying there's a ton more people who'd buy it if it was available on PS5. It's not 2011 anymore. Sony has a massive lead in the console space over Xbox and games can run pretty much the same on PS5 as on Xbox X
I don't disagree that it definitely hurt them compared to past games but even on PC their numbers were dramatically worse than expected. Its max peak CCU was only like 50k more than skyrim and was almost 200k less than Fallout 4 and both of those came out when steam was massively smaller than it is now. I know gamepass is out there but we all know the issues with windows store and how few people want to use it, other gamepass games seem to do very well on steam and surpass their previous entries.
That's a good point. I guess games like Baldurs Gate 3 just show people that RPGs can be more than simple murder mayhem simulators and have an actual story.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
That's a good point. I guess games like Baldurs Gate 3 just show people that RPGs can be more than simple murder mayhem simulators and have an actual story.
I would say that murder hoboism and story are two wholly different aspects, not mutually exclusive. And that BG3 is very far from the only CRPG with a good story. To me BG3 is above all a masterclass of of choices and consequences, sorta CRPG but what if also ImSim.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
[HELP]

How do you check if a game is removed from your Steam library?
I've been reading that people are finding some games getting removed if they got from keys and such.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

Censored

Oct 8, 2021
[HELP]

How do you check if a game is removed from your Steam library?
I've been reading that people are finding some games getting removed if they got from keys and such.
If I'm not wrong here

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The scary part is, people were saying this a decade ago about MicroLED. Soon I'll have been hearing about how MLED is "a decade away" for over two decades lol.

But i think there are some high-end TV's that do use it? They're like greater than 80 inches in size though. It seems the tough part currently is shrinking it down and making it affordable?

We can't be that far away from a MLED monitor... Maybe 5-7 years? :anguished-face: IDK, OLED's just don't seem like a great investment as a PC monitor to me. Not only do you have the risk of burn-in from static desktop elements, but also the organic components of OLED degrade over time at a pace greater than traditional LED, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I love how OLED looks especially for HDR applications, but they still scare the shit out of me as someone who has to save up for big purchases and can't just shit out a paycheck or 3 when a big purchase needs to be replaced.
Also I was promised pragmatic OLED without burnin to have happened at least 15 years ago...

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Avengers was a flop and Suicide Squad is looking like a flop, but the Wonder Woman game will be the superhero live service title that takes off. For real.
I know I'll probably get the "Well thats not the same thing" but wasn't the Lord of the Rings games from WB jam packed with all of the GaaS stuff everyone hated and they own the patent/trademark for the nemesis system that is most likely being shoved into the Wonder Woman game if anything since that would make the most sense if anything (to me at least)

I also liked all of the lotr games a lot but lol

I figured I'd post this as well and get it out of the way and say I think it looks fine still

Realistically it just needs to come out, people can whine and complain it sucks ass or whatever and then Rocksteady can actually work on something new or whatever

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Don't you know? ALL the players of Starfield are using GamePass in unprecedented numbers. It is a huge hit! You have to take our word, though, because we won't ever give a real-time overview on how many people play the game on gamepass.

• Toucan
Reactions: xinek and C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Microsoft really feels like they’re a couple of self-inflicted wounds away from going third party.

I think Game Pass is basically keeping them going at this point, but who knows how long they can keep it up when subscriptions across the board are facing a crunch.

Would be delicious if Phil “Nintendo’s future is not on their own hardware” Spencer’s Xbox goes third party before them.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
This is one of the frustrating things about game companies (aside from maybe Nintendo) -- they don't seem to have any understanding of why people like games. The Battlefield franchise is a good example. People wanted more of what made Bad Company 2 outstanding, and none of that has been included in later games, not even a bit. Instead. Battlefield has tried to chase trends or be a COD alternative. Here, we have Bethesda seemingly not understanding what made Skyrim such a legendary success. Why have people played and talked about certain games for literally years, even buying them multiple times? It's a fucking mystery, I guess.

Idk if this is due to suits making decisions, focus group testing, or what, but it's not like it's hard to observe the online communities of gamers to find out exactly what things grab people. It's not like we make it a secret. Don't these companies like money? It would be different if their stupid ideas resulted in huge successes, but from my perspective, the industry has been releasing disappointing flops left and right for a few years now and learning nothing.
The thing is: They THINK they know what their audience want. And coincidentally, that always results in changes that they believe will make them even more money. Why reiterate on a proven formula that will just make the same money as before? We need GROWTH!

I have mourned this behavior for over 2 decades. So many great games, series, and studios who lost the plot, went under, or faded into irrelevance because they chased the WIDER AUDIENCE.
They see that one in a hundred example of a studio hitting gold with changes to their formula and think they can replicate that.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Also I was promised pragmatic OLED without burnin to have happened at least 15 years ago...
For normal media use, we are pretty much at a point where you can use OLED without having to think about it, and have warranties from companies that cover 5 of use (for TVs). For monitors, it's pretty much about whether you feel fine restricting yourself to just media use. Of course it probably depends on what kind of games you are playing. 1000s of hours of DOTA 2 or something like that is likely still a terrible idea for OLED. But if you can avoid stuff with static elements, or the same static element over 100s of hours, then it's probably fine.

Thinking of getting an OLED monitor next year, some time after I get a new PC. Want to wait and see whether we get some cool new things in the meanwhile.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Just from what little I've seen, AW2 did decent. It didn't exactly light the world on fire, but it found its niche. If it rakes in some GOTY awards that'll give it a sales boost.

Always has been. :smart-thinking-blob:

But seriously, Dota was never a thing in the US. It's always been much bigger in Europe and Asia.
I forgot that the list for for US only.

I'm still confused about the whole Steam Deck trade in thing. Why? Nintendo, Sony, and MS (as far as I'm aware of) don't offer a trade in program.

Are they talking about GameStop???? Because if so that's just really really dumb. I don't trust GameStop (especially when it comes to "refurbished" stuff) when it comes to used consoles.

When you trade stuff in to GameStop you get jack squat. Did you pay $500USD for a PS5 at launch and want to trade it in to GameStop a week after launch for some weird reason? Well the most you will get from them was $330USD (despite being very willing to give you $1K USD for that same console during that time).

Also for people buying it used from them will at most be saving $50USD off? And not even get the manufacturers warranty?

I'm pretty sure that means that warranty is not a Valve one, but a GameStop one right? Since Valve had nothing to do with that refurbishment and thus will not just send you another one.

It's just weird is all,
----------------
By the way, do you think that Valve is not selling stuff in Australia so that they don't have to deal with the laws there?

Maybe some one is more familiar with Australian law to let us know what stuff Valve would be forced to abide by, if they wises to sell directly to Australian customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.