Community MetaSteam | October 2018 - Jason and the $10 Argonauts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2018
I'm in a bit of a gaming funk.

I just sit around and idle/play sports games. NBA 2k19 is perfect for that, and that's all I do on my gaming spare time.

I have yet to play Origins and Odyssey even though I own those games. Got into Yak0 but gave up about 1/10th through. But then I would go ahead and beat average games like Ni No Kuni, which I loved. Beat DQ11 too, loved that game.

I think the key for me to beat a game is a good set of cheats. I'll try and tackle resonance of fate next because I loved that game on my 360. I idled on that too and unlocked the map super early and made the game really easy. It was fun though, I love easy games.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I love easy games.

and i like short games :p everything above like 5-7h just frightens me ... mostly because i like to finish games (for the story) and knowing i can't just put 100h into a game just makes me not want to play it since i know i won't get to know what happens in it by the end

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play Songbringer which was in the previous Fanatical bundle. I had no idea what kind of game it is before starting to play this game and was surprised that this is a 2d Zelda game. Even the starting point is very similar to the very first Zelda game, where you enter a cave and retrieve a sword. Although there were no old man saying that it is dangerous to go alone.
The only difference is that every new adventure you start in a new world.
I have finished two dungeons and now I am on the third dungeon which I sadly am stuck. I visited all available rooms, but cannot find anything that triggers a door to open :(

Reactions: Schnitzelfee

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Every 3 months or so I look at one of my Steamlibrary folders and make a list of games to play so that I can beat and delete them. Of course if a game wins me over enough I let it keep those 100 or so MBs on there, despite the fact that I have fast enough fibre optic that I could download it in a few minutes if I ever want to replay it :V
Let's see what's on my HDD now
Camp W (Started playing, it's a(n) (pnc) adventure game and these make great companion games to bigger games)
Castle of Illusion (gonna replay it soon, it's short enough anyways)
CUPID
Detective Case 1 and 2
Dorke & Ymp
Epistory (I'll likely replay it, I didn't beat this game last time I played it @o@)
Evo Explorers
Fly'n
Giana Sisters 2D (This is a port of the NDS/3DS 2D Giana sisters game)
Goblin & Coins
God of Thunder
Grow Home
Gunman Clive 1 and 2
Gurumin (High time I played this, been putting it off for a long time)
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hot Tin Roof
Hyper Light Drifter (I must finish it this tiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmme)
Iggy's Egg Adventure
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (should give me a reason to get off my lazy bum and watch the movie at least)
Ittle Dew
Jim Power
Jotun
Joylancer
Juju
Khimera Destroy All Monster Girls
Kung Fury Street Rage
Ladra
Law & Order: Legacies
Let the cat in (I should prioritize this since it is F2P and should be a short-ish experience)
Lines
LISA
Lovely Planet
Magical Drop V
Max Gentlemen
Metal Slug Defense (wanna see how far I'd get before dropping it :V)
Metamorphabet
Mighty Gunvolt
Mighty #9 (I must play and complete this game in honor of Inafune-sensei!)
Momodora series
Monkey Island 2
Monkey Tales (I think this was an edutaintment game I got so I'll just finish it down the line)
Montaro
Narcissu series
Neo Aquarium
Oceanhorn
Outland
Paper Monsters Recut
Perceptions of the dead
Picross Touch
Poi
Poncho
Prey 2006 & 2017
Psychonauts
Quatro Luzes
Quest for Infamy
Ravenmark
Red Goddess
Regeria Hope
Rocket Knight
OPUS: Rocket of Whispers
SC2VN - The eSports Visual Novel
Serious Sam The Random Encounter
Serious Sam DD XXL
Shatter
Shovel Knight
Silver Creek Falls: Chapter 1
Sorcery! 1 and 2
Soul Gambler
Spy Chameleon
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Strider 2014 (prob. worth a replay for me)
SUMICO
Super Cyborg
Swordbreaker
Tales of Adventure 2
Talewind
The Banner Saga
Technobabylon (replay)
Tembo the Badass Elephant
The Abbey of Crime Extensum
Monkey Island 3
The Desolate Hope
The Marvellous Miss Take
The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns
The Sea Will Claim Everything
The Wolf Among Us (replay)
The Girl & the Robot
The Room 2
Toki Tori 1 and 2
Tomb Raider Legend & Ann.
Toren
Triennale Game Collection
Ty 1 and Ty 4
Unrest
VA-11 HALL-A
Velocity 2X
Void & Meddler
Why Am I Dead At Sea
Witch & Hero
Wolfenstein 3D
Yomawari: Night Alone
Yono & the Celestial Elephants
Ys 1 and 2 (replay)
Ys 3
Zenge

I should prob. do them in reverse order, games I want to uninstall are in the later half :V

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Every 3 months or so I look at one of my Steamlibrary folders and make a list of games to play so that I can beat and delete them. Of course if a game wins me over enough I let it keep those 100 or so MBs on there, despite the fact that I have fast enough fibre optic that I could download it in a few minutes if I ever want to replay it :V
Let's see what's on my HDD now
Camp W (Started playing, it's a(n) (pnc) adventure game and these make great companion games to bigger games)
Castle of Illusion (gonna replay it soon, it's short enough anyways)
CUPID
Detective Case 1 and 2
Dorke & Ymp
Epistory (I'll likely replay it, I didn't beat this game last time I played it @o@)
Evo Explorers
Fly'n
Giana Sisters 2D (This is a port of the NDS/3DS 2D Giana sisters game)
Goblin & Coins
God of Thunder
Grow Home
Gunman Clive 1 and 2
Gurumin (High time I played this, been putting it off for a long time)
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hot Tin Roof
Hyper Light Drifter (I must finish it this tiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmme)
Iggy's Egg Adventure
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (should give me a reason to get off my lazy bum and watch the movie at least)
Ittle Dew
Jim Power
Jotun
Joylancer
Juju
Khimera Destroy All Monster Girls
Kung Fury Street Rage
Ladra
Law & Order: Legacies
Let the cat in (I should prioritize this since it is F2P and should be a short-ish experience)
Lines
LISA
Lovely Planet
Magical Drop V
Max Gentlemen
Metal Slug Defense (wanna see how far I'd get before dropping it :V)
Metamorphabet
Mighty Gunvolt
Mighty #9 (I must play and complete this game in honor of Inafune-sensei!)
Momodora series
Monkey Island 2
Monkey Tales (I think this was an edutaintment game I got so I'll just finish it down the line)
Montaro
Narcissu series
Neo Aquarium
Oceanhorn
Outland
Paper Monsters Recut
Perceptions of the dead
Picross Touch
Poi
Poncho
Prey 2006 & 2017
Psychonauts
Quatro Luzes
Quest for Infamy
Ravenmark
Red Goddess
Regeria Hope
Rocket Knight
OPUS: Rocket of Whispers
SC2VN - The eSports Visual Novel
Serious Sam The Random Encounter
Serious Sam DD XXL
Shatter
Shovel Knight
Silver Creek Falls: Chapter 1
Sorcery! 1 and 2
Soul Gambler
Spy Chameleon
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Strider 2014 (prob. worth a replay for me)
SUMICO
Super Cyborg
Swordbreaker
Tales of Adventure 2
Talewind
The Banner Saga
Technobabylon (replay)
Tembo the Badass Elephant
The Abbey of Crime Extensum
Monkey Island 3
The Desolate Hope
The Marvellous Miss Take
The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns
The Sea Will Claim Everything
The Wolf Among Us (replay)
The Girl & the Robot
The Room 2
Toki Tori 1 and 2
Tomb Raider Legend & Ann.
Toren
Triennale Game Collection
Ty 1 and Ty 4
Unrest
VA-11 HALL-A
Velocity 2X
Void & Meddler
Why Am I Dead At Sea
Witch & Hero
Wolfenstein 3D
Yomawari: Night Alone
Yono & the Celestial Elephants
Ys 1 and 2 (replay)
Ys 3
Zenge

I should prob. do them in reverse order, games I want to uninstall are in the later half :V
HOLY FUCK!!! that one impressive list, haha :p

unfortunately my HDD is pretty small so currently i only have like 50 games installed tops ... mostly indie trash too ;)

seriously, though - i see a tonne of really cool games in your list ... you should definitely play all of them :D

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
HOLY FUCK!!! that one impressive list, haha :p

unfortunately my HDD is pretty small so currently i only have like 50 games installed tops ... mostly indie trash too ;)
Finish up the 'indie trash' first. If you don't like a game after playing it for a while, just uninstall it. No harm in dropping games.

seriously, though - i see a tonne of really cool games in your list ... you should definitely play all of them :D
Let it never be said that I am not a man with good taste and of culture as well

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Finish up the 'indie trash' first. If you don't like a game after playing it for a while, just uninstall it. No harm in dropping games.
yeah, that's what i usually do ... the problem is - i haven't even started most of those yet :p just installed them and now they're waiting until i feel like playing them, lol

Let it never be said that I am not a man with good taste and of culture as well
no lies detected! ;)

(by the way - we can manually resize images now if you don't want inserted images to always be full-width ... just click the image after inserting it and sizing handles should appear)

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
This is, like, my immediate desktop PC queue:

Doesn't contain PS4, GDP Win 2 and handheld queues, obviously.
Pretty sure I'll not be able to finish that in the next 12 months.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I was thinking that Tizoc deserves more love with his monthly releases threads, it's an amazing job made since November 2017 and everyday it grows and grows more, I really hope if he makes his posts here too people will give them a lot of love as I do. so yeah, keep the good work :D

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, but Steam is full of asset swaps and shovelware and that's the only reason new
crappy
games don't sell.
Well, that and forced discounts, aka regional pricing.
i know, right? and they dare STEAL 30% of the devs' money for doing absolutely nothing ...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
he already has ....

no wonder all those poor devs have to resort to other things to recoup all the money Gaben steals from them!

:wd_deal:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
also - this just got a store page, looks interesting ... although the art looks rough

Lash, FFS, OPEN A THREAD FOR NEW STEAM PAGES (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Cthulhu stuff? Art looks ok-ish...
I ad it to the never ending "wish list"
yeah, it looks meh

but they do still have a year before release ... and i like the old-time pixelart stuff ... reminds me of games like Indiana Jones etc. ... so we'll see how it looks closer to release

Lash, FFS, OPEN A THREAD FOR NEW STEAM PAGES (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
i could ... but it would just auto-merge everything since i would probably be posting most of them ;)
but you know what? make a thread for new store pages (you really do make AWESOME threads, man!) and i'll keep posting all the interesting ones there :)

how about that?

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
i could ... but it would just auto-merge everything since i would probably be posting most of them ;)
but you know what? make a thread for new store pages (you really do make AWESOME threads, man!) and i'll keep posting all the interesting ones there :)

how about that?
I can do that, I mean, I also found lots of indies and low profile games that look fantastic, something could be made soon, I like that.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That Auto merge stuff really kills bumping threads.... Auto merge killed my movie thread!
(cause nobody sees my updates :p)
well if you have $17 i can buy the bump addon :p but i'd rather not disable automerge since it's kinda useful

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I was thinking that Tizoc deserves more love with his monthly releases threads, it's an amazing job made since November 2017 and everyday it grows and grows more, I really hope if he makes his posts here too people will give them a lot of love as I do. so yeah, keep the good work :D

Oh thanks for taking the time to mention the # of games, but please be aware that because I list games from a previous month in each thread, the actual number of releases gets a little tricky to properly nail down.
However by my own estimate, I'd say there were at least 200 notable releases on Steam this year alone, which includes expansions/dlc, Early Access and proper game releases.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Oh thanks for taking the time to mention the # of games, but please be aware that because I list games from a previous month in each thread, the actual number of releases gets a little tricky to properly nail down.
However by my own estimate, I'd say there were at least 200 notable releases on Steam this year alone, which includes expansions/dlc, Early Access and proper game releases.
Yeah, numbers may not be 100% accurate but I tried to make my best listing everything I could.

also yes, it's insane the number of notable releases on the platform, it's practically impossible to keep track of everything, no wonder why there are so many flops each month, it's a wild competition right there. This year alone I have added more than 250 games to my wishlist and that's just Steam, so yeah, pretty insane.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

even if it's "only" 200 - that's still an INSANE number of interesting games ... 20 per month!!!

Reactions: Mor

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I don't even have the idea for the structure of the thread yet haha
Once I have something useful you will all know ;D
Notable digital platform releases?
Just make a daily or weekly post with all the stuff you or people find interesting.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Notable digital platform releases?
Just make a daily post with all the stuff you or people find interesting.
Yeah, that would be pretty much the idea but I usually want to make something like an index with the max. number of data possible so people can jump into the things they want directly, the problem it's the OP, I want to make something cool :D

Deleted member 113

also - this just got a store page, looks interesting ... although the art looks rough

Mention anything remotely related to H. P. Lovecraft, and you got my interest. ;)

That went straight into my wishlist.

---

Anyway, regarding games and what I'm playing, I'm a bit on the same boat as many of you. I own many of the recent big releases (Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, ...), but I have been struggling to play any long games (pretty much anything over 4-8 hours), due to a lack of time and... patience. Recently, after a hard day at work, I don't have much patience for story heavy games, if I have patience to play anything at all. And if I don't play a game for a certain amount of time, when I return to it, I don't know where I was and what I was doing, so I have to start over again.

For me, these last couple of months have been something like:
-played around 30 hours of Yakuza 0, but for a couple of weeks I didn't play anything, so I more or less dropped the game, since I'm not sure where I was story-wise any more.;
-played and completed The Wolf Among Us (it was inside that 4-8 hours sweet spot)
-Assassin's Creed Odyssey launched, and I played around 8 hours on a single Sunday (2 weeks ago), but then, an event started on Euro Truck Simulator 2, and I started doing that (to get some free items), and haven't played AC Odyssey ever since.

So, what I'm actually playing:
-SOULCALIBUR VI (just started playing it, and I'm looking to go through one of the story modes today).
-Pinball FX3 (I have been playing the recently released Williams tables, and participating in some leagues/tournaments)
-Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle (I completed 2 of the 7 games)

So, it's been pretty much Arcade games only recently. :)

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Yeah, numbers may not be 100% accurate but I tried to make my best listing everything I could.

also yes, it's insane the number of notable releases on the platform, it's practically impossible to keep track of everything, no wonder why there are so many flops each month, it's a wild competition right there. This year alone I have added more than 250 games to my wishlist and that's just Steam, so yeah, pretty insane.
even if it's "only" 200 - that's still an INSANE number of interesting games ... 20 per month!!!
Y'all can keep your Daddies of BOYs, Reddy Deady Premonotions, and Spideymen, all I needs is the G.O.D.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Y'all can keep your Daddies of BOYs, Reddy Deady Premonotions, and Spideymen, all I needs is the G.O.D.
the true GOTY ;)

seriously, though - their Ben 10 and Hotel Transylvania games aren't all that bad ... so this one might actually be decent

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
And we aren't really the growd the game aims for anyway...
I get making fun of such stuff, but honestly, a well made game for the little ones is more worth than the newest samey AAA game imo

Good children games are kinda rare

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
technically all LEGO games are kids games ... no?

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I get making fun of such stuff, but honestly, a well made game for the little ones is more worth than the newest samey AAA game imo

i AM half making fun of it and actually interested in playing it.
Them puppies are cute :3

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, when I saw your post I was thinking: "who is he kidding, he has the game on his wishlist!". :p
I do too... ;)
same :p

---

looks like Cliffski (Positech Games) posted a new blog post about digital retailers, and ... oh boy - gonna be interesting ... i mean - i mostly agree with him actually, but i can already see all those "competition is good" people not liking what he has to say ...

a few chosen bits (click the link above to read the entire thing):

Basically any store of any consequence is trying to grab market share from steam. Steam had a VERY rocky start (younger gamers may not remember the absolute hatred and anger at the instability and clunkiness and inconvenience of steam on its initial release), but quickly rose to be the market leader. When it started accepting indie games, the premise was pretty simple: We take 30% of the retail price, and we provide a website to handle discovery, order-taking and fraud detection, demo and full-version hosting, automatic updates and some community features. Is this a good deal? And the vast majority of people thought ‘fuck yes’. It WAS a good deal, but 90% of the ‘good’ part came from exposure to such a huge audience. You could already get order taking, fraud detection and stats for about 5-10% from other companies, including getting the email addresses of your customers, depending how you haggled. Later, steam improved vastly on what it had to offer, as we got achievements, real-time sales tracking, trading cards, steamworks, a simpler (GUI-based) updating tool, better customisation of store pages, a steam-widget you could embed on your site, developer pages, and GUI tools to simplify setting discounts and participating in sales.

The real point of this post is to point out a pretty big discrepancy between the steam value-proposition (to devs) and that from other portals. Here is the headline:

Unless you are offering ALL of that, AND something new or better to make it worth my while, and probably throwing some swag my way, why the fucking fuck would I give you 30% of my hard earned income?

The assumption seems to be that you can set up a store, do some minimal GUI design on it, put out a press release and expect to cash in your thirty percent of every game that the developers take the time to configure for your portal. I think that time is coming to an end. The thirty percent is arguable anyway, but unless you developer experience is BETTER than steam (and lets be honest, its really not), why on earth should you take the same cut?

Hell… even steam’s offerings in some areas are extremely low quality. The steam community forums are awful, with no WYSIWYG component, no real-time preview, very limited features in comparison to software like discourse (which I have here on my forums). The stats reporting is nice, but still nowhere near as fast as it should be. There is no really usable inbuilt player-metrics component in steamworks, no way to easily upload images of work-in-progress stuff to show off early access development on the forums, there is no tech support ticket system to allow us to give proper tech support to our customers, no notification of new reviews for developers… I could go on.

Valve can ‘kind of get away with this’ for a while… because they are the market leader. But new portals cannot. Valve also do the odd cool thing like steam dev days, or send people nice gifts, even chocolate, which is definitely appreciated. they meet up with developers and give them free drinks (also appreciated). This kind of thing actually *does* matter. The Humble Bundle guys and Kongregate do get that side of it, but I’m not sure others do, and even those two have a long way to go to offer true competition for steam. Try setting sale discounts for 20 different titles on the humble store. its not fun.

So starting with next year, and my *next* game (Democracy 4), I’m going to change my view when it comes to online game stores. The game will definitely come to steam, but if anybody else wants to sell that game, my attitude will very much be… Whats it worth to me?

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
same :p

---

looks like Cliffski (Positech Games) posted a new blog post about digital retailers, and ... oh boy - gonna be interesting ... i mean - i mostly agree with him actually, but i can already see all those "competition is good" people not liking what he has to say ...

a few chosen bits (click the link above to read the entire thing):
He has talked about his Steam figures openly on Twitter recently where the top seller game you can assume is Democracy 3.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

The Teddy Floppy Ear series are adventure games aimed at kids, they are short but my young brother had fun with it. I bought Wheely in the latest sale and he managed to finish it all by himself,

The LEGO games also are good for kids, and can be a good co-op experience with the kids.

Nowadays he seems to enjoy two survival browser games: mope.io and deeep.io

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
because you have to keep looking at the screen and you can't check who's looking at you at the same time ;)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
because you have to keep looking at the screen and you can't check who's looking at you at the same time ;)
True, but I know there are bunch of people who do see my screen, that's the problem, I actually feel ashamed to play games when seen by so many people haha, especially when all those people seem to be super productive all kinds of things.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, i can understand that ... i always hate when people are hovering behind me for whatever reason

Reactions: Le Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.