Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think there's crunch and crunch though. You have exploitative, rockstar-like crunch, and you have end of milestone crunch. That one is much harder to avoid for two reasons :
  • Making games is one of the hardest software things ever. Seriously. It is both a creative and technological endaevor where you are chasing "fun". That means tons of iterations, unpredictable delays and cuts. Unless you are doing something you already know about, you will have delays. The joke is that you want the game to ship on time, on budget, with all its features. Pick two. Guess why the industry is so fond of formulaic games?
  • Rebound effect. Even if you delay, you will suddenly find yourself with more time ahead of you, meaning the temptation to cram in more features, to do more is sky-high. With it comes more crunch, because that too won't go well.
I believe CDPR isn't any different from the rest of the industry, other than the hypocrisy of pretending they aren't. On the other hand, because C2077 is such a high profile game, saying anything about them draws clicks, hence why Shreier is just breathing down their necks and waiting for the next outrage tweet opportunity.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Nice gameplay video, I want to play this game
Like every Cyberpunk city, it may look fascinating but there is inconvenient truth behind the scene. I would advise keeping distance from this game for now.

• This!
Reactions: Swenhir

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Losing today's daily run was frustrating. I had 10+ hearts, 30+ bombs, 10+ ropes, the jetpack and the shotgun, and I was crushed by a platform (not even a trap) in one of the levels leading to the final boss. Ugh. This game is both the best and the worst game of the year.

:emo:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Losing today's daily run was frustrating. I had 10+ hearts, 30+ bombs, 10+ ropes, the jetpack and the shotgun, and I was crushed by a platform (not even a trap) in one of the levels leading to the final boss. Ugh. This game is both the best and the worst game of the year.

:emo:
My run ended in volcana because I took my eyes off the monitor for 1 second and one of the fire shits dropped from above blowing me up.

I had powerpack and shotty + a lot of supplies as well :(

• Sad
Reactions: QFNS

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Why wait for Cyberpunk 2077 when I am playing Cyberpunk 2020 in real life?
I wonder what it is that draws us to these sights and worlds. As you pointed out, not even including China in the mix, such cities aren't exactly havens. So why does it make our imagination soar so much?

I'm guessing that above all, it's different. That's why Ghost in the Shell was so incredible, because of how strange, eerie and other the place seemed to be. And because we did not know it, the issues and the way it feels to live there weren't at the forefront of our minds when looking at it.

There's also a sort of morbid fascination with things that are so different, even if in a bad way. A question of "would this be it?" when it comes to solving problems we are facing, which have no clear solutions. Maybe it's as the Cyberpunk trailer said, the possibilities. The opportunities.

Awesome video all in all!

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Thank you for having interest though. I love this city but it is not at its best times. Please do visit once it (and the world) gets better!
I have an interest in Hong Kong since my parents are from there. I haven't visited this city for more than 10 years now and really want to visit it again. But as the current situation that is right now I don't find it a good time to do so...

• Love
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I was approaching hardware update, gpu, cpu, nothing was locked yet. It was evidently not a wise budget move but it was doable.
Today I see that I must call a plumber. That will cost me between 100-200 if I go by google.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So why does it make our imagination soar so much?
Excellent question and beautifully written post. Made me dream of things to come.

Because we are a curious race. We climb mountains just to look on the other side, explore the depths of the oceans, sailed the world in big wooden boats and dream of flying to other planets. It's a bit of a romanticized view, but there is some truth to it.
Longing for the unknown is hard coded into our genes. It was an evolutionary advantage.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I wonder what it is that draws us to these sights and worlds. As you pointed out, not even including China in the mix, such cities aren't exactly havens. So why does it make our imagination soar so much?

I'm guessing that above all, it's different. That's why Ghost in the Shell was so incredible, because of how strange, eerie and other the place seemed to be. And because we did not know it, the issues and the way it feels to live there weren't at the forefront of our minds when looking at it.

There's also a sort of morbid fascination with things that are so different, even if in a bad way. A question of "would this be it?" when it comes to solving problems we are facing, which have no clear solutions. Maybe it's as the Cyberpunk trailer said, the possibilities. The opportunities.

Awesome video all in all!
Amazing write-up. So many cultures in the mix in this tiny place. Being different is what makes we Hong Kongers proud. Living here though is certainly "cyberpunky". Huge corporations. Politics. Income disparity. Low birth rate. Very, very fast pace of life. You name it. A recent local poll even shows that nearly half of the respondents have symptoms of depression (yeah I am one of those people). Future is uncertain and people are scared.

But one thing is certain. We will go through this shit, somehow. Maybe in a year, or in some decades. Or maybe we do not survive to see it But I truly believe history runs like cycle and there are always ups-and-downs. It's down time now but better times will arrive.
I have an interest in Hong Kong since my parents are from there. I haven't visited this city for more than 10 years now and really want to visit it again. But as the current situation that is right now I don't find it a good time to do so...
A fellow Hong Konger (hope you don't mind calling you that)! Hopefully all of these will pass and you can step on the soil here once again soon!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sadly, it is always more expensive than what you would expect. The price range is correct though... for the usual plumbing issues.

I think it's related to these little fuckers in the picture.

Good news, the local one I randomly contacted told me that he would be cool with 'just' 20 euros to go see what the issue is, to 'pay for the coffee'.
Now, the real worry is how much to do the job.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Great news. Hopefully Facebook comes to their senses and gets rid of the requirement soon.

They have to realize how fucking stupid it is to force people into a social media account just to play some video games via a peripheral. The most unnecessary privacy violating bs.

Also hopefully as they get rid of the requirement...they drop it by a 100$ for the holidays :coffee-blob:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Halo Inifinite looking like its in production hell. 2 Directors is a yikes.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
So the game isn't worth 18$? Shame, liked the look of it.
I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to get the resolution I want, so I don't know. Try the demo, that's about as much as I've played.

As for it being worth 18, not much is worth 18 to me. I have too much on my plate to spend money like that. Especially when it's available to play for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.