Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am talking specifically about these gameplay videos. IQ is awful in them, from bade encoding to aggressive DoF that everything looks blurry. On top of that you go and show game where AI is so dumb. I know that it says pre-alpha but why show broken game? Maybe i am wrong but everything showed so far had some kind of issues, and as soon as you point to that you get called out that you can't even read because it says it's pre-alpha. .

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Is it me or showing game with this IQ and this bad AI 4 months before release is bad marketing and kinda worrying?

Looks like an updated Saints Row 2 to me, probably going to be a lot of fun.
Main things I didn't like is the weird dof effect, and the destructible objects seem to disappear very quickly.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
NFT in the context of gaming is a microtransaction. But if properly implemented (and that's a big if) you should be able to trade them and/or sell them to other players. Theoretically, you should be able to cash out whenever you want. You could look at them like TCG cards.
Most are on Ethereum blockchain and somewhat disastrous for the environment (though that'll probably get sorted out in the next 1-2 years), but some are not.
It's actually a step further removed from MTX like trading cards and the like. NFTs are essentially a certificate saying you own that certificate relating to a thing (image or whatever). The certificates themselves are, traditionally, unique but there is no actual restriction on that: you could buy a certificate saying you own that certificates' version of an image BUT that creator of that NFT can create more of that certificate if they want, at any time (I believe in some of the NFT groups this has happened).

For Steam comparison, it'd be like if you had a code you had to save that said you own a version of a particular trading card in someone else's inventory. That code is yours but can actually be created and sold again by the original creator if they want more money and have a market. Regardless of how many of that trading card exist (or not) all you have is the code and it's only worth whatever people are convinced a code that means nothing is worth. You can sell that code if you want to, or trade it, but it's just a code that has no intrinsic value, costs a TON (like, so much) of energy to sell, and is actually even more worthless than crypto currency because there is technically NO restriction on supply.

NFT are the worst aspects of ponzi schemes, crypto, and the art market combined and amplified into something truly abysmal. There is no inherent purpose or value to them. They are scams from top to bottom.

Edit: Because it's easy to find people defending them, just know that no defense I have ever seen has been in good faith. They are by people embracing sunk cost and trying to make their money back OR by people just trying to make money off this new fad that really seems to make people open their wallets because they don't understand it, and think it's the next big crypto thing. Those stories about people setting up NFT things and then just ditching with the money are because there is no actual transaction going on that could be considered legal trade. You are paying for someone somewhere to burn a bunch of carbon to have a code that is not necessarily unique nor representative of anything. I really cannot overstate how much of a scam and how damaging these things are right now.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Watching DOTA2 always makes me want to play it and get better, but sheesh, I am awful.

I use to play LoL extremely casual, never ranked, and it never went well either. I wish everyone would just take it down a level and not get so angry haha.
Idk if Dota has it but I had a lot of fun in League playing the non-standard modes like one that was just a single lane, for example. Also a good way to learn characters in a more chill environment.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Edit: Because it's easy to find people defending them, just know that no defense I have ever seen has been in good faith. They are by people embracing sunk cost and trying to make their money back OR by people just trying to make money off this new fad that really seems to make people open their wallets because they don't understand it, and think it's the next big crypto thing. Those stories about people setting up NFT things and then just ditching with the money are because there is no actual transaction going on that could be considered legal trade. You are paying for someone somewhere to burn a bunch of carbon to have a code that is not necessarily unique nor representative of anything. I really cannot overstate how much of a scam and how damaging these things are right now.
I was watching a Youtube video unrelated to NFTs (I can't even remember which video now) and two people in the comments got into a conversation about NFT and how much they were making and who they used to invest with that it completely played out like two talking heads in a informercial. It was so transparent that they were working together and doing a bit that it was funny.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Watching DOTA2 always makes me want to play it and get better, but sheesh, I am awful.

I use to play LoL extremely casual, never ranked, and it never went well either. I wish everyone would just take it down a level and not get so angry haha.
I could never play again, not because I wouldn't like to but it has been so long plus time limitations demand that it's either dota or all the other games that exist.
But there's something spetacular about spectating high-tier games and seeing the meta change from match to match. It also helps the game is perfectly set-up for the viewing experience since you can see all the players at all the stages of the game and the audio-visual feedback is second to none meaning even when it's chaotic you can understand perfectly who did what, what spells were used, etc.

Idk if Dota has it but I had a lot of fun in League playing the non-standard modes like one that was just a single lane, for example. Also a good way to learn characters in a more chill environment.
Dota has those as well plus a turbo mode where matches are shorter and everyone gets exp and gold faster and a demo mode for each hero where you have infinite gold and can try items and skills at will. It also has arcade where there's a ton of custom games ranging from variations of the normal dota game as well as auto-battlers, tower defence, pve co-op, etc.

Last edited:

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
It's actually a step further removed from MTX like trading cards and the like. NFTs are essentially a certificate saying you own that certificate relating to a thing (image or whatever). The certificates themselves are, traditionally, unique but there is no actual restriction on that: you could buy a certificate saying you own that certificates' version of an image BUT that creator of that NFT can create more of that certificate if they want, at any time (I believe in some of the NFT groups this has happened).

For Steam comparison, it'd be like if you had a code you had to save that said you own a version of a particular trading card in someone else's inventory. That code is yours but can actually be created and sold again by the original creator if they want more money and have a market. Regardless of how many of that trading card exist (or not) all you have is the code and it's only worth whatever people are convinced a code that means nothing is worth. You can sell that code if you want to, or trade it, but it's just a code that has no intrinsic value, costs a TON (like, so much) of energy to sell, and is actually even more worthless than crypto currency because there is technically NO restriction on supply.

NFT are the worst aspects of ponzi schemes, crypto, and the art market combined and amplified into something truly abysmal. There is no inherent purpose or value to them. They are scams from top to bottom.

There's no intrinsic value, no technical limitation on supply, and there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of scams. Most projects will probably eventually go to zero. But I wouldn't call all of them a scam. Many projects at the top (as in the most expensive ones) have some sort of utility. VeeFriends, which is Gary Vee's NFT collection, for example, gives you access to VeeCon for 3 years. Developers of NFTs technically could make more NFTs of the same picture, but by doing so they would destroy the communities' trust. So, I don't see why the top projects would do that. Don't see why an indie photographer who's just found a new source of income would do that either.
But I've only followed the NFT space for a few days now, so maybe I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing. Don't really have the budget to buy them either. I'm just following this space because blockchain technology (and everything surrounding it) seems interesting to me, even with my very limited understanding of the technical side of it.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Figured I'd mention the cool kids club event is happening in a few days:

(Thats their email they send out for the event)

This year they're actually putting up a steam page for games etc, so that's cool!

Their event space the last time and this time was made to work like an old style text based game basically (Easiest way to explain it) you could access it would easy commands and everything while watching speakers and everything it was kind of cool because it was pretty niche for what it was

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

If only SRW30 wasn't looming so close I would download this mod instantly. Dark souls fans never fail to surprise me

• Eyes

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I was watching a Youtube video unrelated to NFTs (I can't even remember which video now) and two people in the comments got into a conversation about NFT and how much they were making and who they used to invest with that it completely played out like two talking heads in a informercial. It was so transparent that they were working together and doing a bit that it was funny.

I would say that's a pretty accurate representation of NFT bros, except in the episode their tonic did actually work :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

There's no intrinsic value, no technical limitation on supply, and there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of scams. Most projects will probably eventually go to zero. But I wouldn't call all of them a scam. Many projects at the top (as in the most expensive ones) have some sort of utility. VeeFriends, which is Gary Vee's NFT collection, for example, gives you access to VeeCon for 3 years. Developers of NFTs technically could make more NFTs of the same picture, but by doing so they would destroy the communities' trust. So, I don't see why the top projects would do that. Don't see why an indie photographer who's just found a new source of income would do that either.
But I've only followed the NFT space for a few days now, so maybe I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing. Don't really have the budget to buy them either. I'm just following this space because blockchain technology (and everything surrounding it) seems interesting to me, even with my very limited understanding of the technical side of it.
In the case of VeeCon, that's more of trying to eek out more profit than VeeCon tickets would make. You could sell a sticker that comes with 3 years of VeeCon for the same price as an NFT and the buyer (and the world) would come out ahead. Attaching real-world incentives to NFTs are just a way to make more money off those real-world things, at this time.

Also, a lot of defenders of NFT cite "indie" artists / photographers as benefiting from NFTs but real indie ones do NOT have the following to actually sell / generate NFTs, and the medium-indie ones almost universally hate NFTs because they know it's a way for the bigger fish to take even more. It's almost entirely big names making extra profit off NFTs, or scammers coming out of the woodwork citing some relationship or another or hashtag to get investors to then make money and disappear or just.. get their money and then what? People have their NFTs which are just cryptos with extra steps (and less integrity, as mentioned).

There rarely comes along a money scheme with so clearly a lack of benefit to anyone except the seller as NFTs. The stock market is more or less a scam for wealthy capitalists to further siphon money away from people but technically it has some fringe benefits. NFTs have no benefits to anyone except the person creating and selling them. They are stocks with a lit fuse that have no backing or relationship to something real. They waste a TON of energy compared to, say, creating or recreating real-world art.

I think time has shown that the very, very few benefits of actual crypto are probably not worth the cost, and as a system at some point there will come a massive fallout. NFTs are straight up worse than crypto, and they just seem to be being propped up by obfuscation due to how abstract they are, as well as the interests of people wanting to get their own money out of suckers before the whole thing is really understood.

Anyway, didn't mean to completely derail the thread but NFTs are actively harming a lot of people even if you discount the ecological impact, and so so many people still are just neutral on them because of how conceptually nonsensical they are. It's one of those cases where they don't make sense because they don't, in fact, make sense, that's the point. It's harder to understand a scam when the actual thing being sold is not super understandable.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I am so confused...
I heard about the VRoid thing where you can have a character file and are able to import the character.

By the way since you are not going to hear this anywhere else I wonder what the RTX on, is going to be like for the Idol master game that just came out since yes that game does support Ray Tracing from what I remember, yes an anime game by Bandai has RTX support.
----------

Big Update (what I found out) about Idolm@ster

The game has over $500USD worth of DLC!!!!!!

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
The Monster Hunter Rise demo crashed twice for me already, I'm glad they have time to polish the release. First launch right after choosing the monster hunter language/icons etc., then after trying to take a screenshot in the first mission's start. Tech seems clumsy overall with that shader compiling crap. Sad it has the same muddy look as World in the shadows and stuff but textures seem sharper and world design so good even at that first spot there. Edit: crash again, screw it.
Runs a lot better compared to world though at least. RE Engine is amazing.

edit: Found this on steam forums. Maybe a fix?

• Eyes

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played the MHR demo and wow. I think I had it on high settings, @1440p and I was still able to get above 60fps and even close to 100 at time.

The game looks really great, but I did some into the issue of low fps animations for some creatures, mostly stuff in the distance)

• Eyes

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Okay so the $500 seems to be because it includes bundles and individual items, so you would be getting duplicate stuff for the $500.

I know that it was on phones but was there already a PC version? If so it seems that of you play it from their launcher that it supports cross save but the Steam Version seems to be stand alone so you can use your smartphone data on that, so I guess that means that it will be an actual steam think and not just something that launches the games own launcher?

• Eyes
  • Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Vantr

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
The game looks really great, but I did some into the issue of low fps animations for some creatures, mostly stuff in the distance)
That has been in the game series for as long as I remember, they do that to save resources.
The Monster Hunter Rise demo crashed twice for me already, I'm glad they have time to polish the release. First launch right after choosing the monster hunter language/icons etc., then after trying to take a screenshot in the first mission's start. Tech seems clumsy overall with that shader compiling crap. Sad it has the same muddy look as World in the shadows and stuff but textures seem sharper and world design so good even at that first spot there. Edit: crash again, screw it.
RTSS was causing it to crash for me. I read that someone with multi-monitors had to disable all but one for it to run but I have multi-monitors and ran it after closing RTSS.

• Eyes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Just got back from the clinic to get my 2nd vaccine shot. Ready to receive transmission~! :keikaku_doori:

I feel bad for GTA modding scene.

Last edited:
Archive of MOBA network's statement regarding ResetERA

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I am not sure I undestand what the 700k entails. Is that the yearly income from ads displayed on the forum? That would be 58k USD per month.
Good job to the site owner for creating such a cash cow and ultimately becoming a multimillionaire! That is 4 million euros!

Edit: Nevermind, ads and member subscriptions.

ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy.
:takemymoney: :pikachu:

ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.

ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022 while maintaining an EBITDA margin.

With ResetEra.com, M.O.B.A. Network gets a strong, global community brand and access to a very active discussion forum with over 45 million forum posts and about 55,000 members. The discussion topics on ResetEra.com are broad and cover all kinds of games and platforms such as consoles, PC, and mobile games, which expands the M.O.B.A. Network's position in the gaming industry. ResetEra.com's core values are "inclusivity and diversity," and the community sets high demands for approving membership. The core values and the high membership requirements are also essential to M.O.B.A. Network.

The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.

"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."

"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.

Westerlund Law has acted as advisor to M.O.B.A. Network in the transaction. Waugh Grant PLLC and WeBrokr LLC have acted as advisors to the seller.

This disclosure contains information that M.O.B.A Network AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation (EU nr 596/2014). The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person, on 14-10-2021 07:00 CET.

M.O.B.A Network AB acquires, develops and operates gaming communities for the global gaming market. The company owns one of the world's largest networks in gaming communities, with 20 web-based global brands and the YouTube network Union For Gamers (UFG) with over 1,000 content creators. The company's business areas consist of advertising sales on the company's communities and video sales via the YouTube network.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I didn't know just one person owned resetera, I thought it was founded by a group of people from gaf.
It was apparently, someone in that thread said Cerium bought out the other people.
Kinda suggests it was just a source of revenue for him for a long time . Maybe he wanted to buy a new house or something, and that's why he sold.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
So Era is not independent anymore. When will Lash cash in Meta XD
If ads are what provide the unearned income, then I don't see how Lashman could cash out: uBlock Origin does not mention any blocked element here.

Kinda suggests it was just a source of revenue for him for a long time . Maybe he wanted to buy a new house or something, and that's why he sold.
He mentions health concerns.
The pressure of being the sole owner of ResetEra has always remained, however, and personal health concerns have made it increasingly difficult to shoulder that on my own. I've wrestled with this decision for a long time now, but when I'm honest with myself I know I won't be able to keep doing this forever. The right thing to do was to find a responsible buyer for the site.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Cerium did say that it was growing health concerns, so maybe medical bills started piling up?
he got 700k in ad revenue a year.
And "health issues" is sadly used as an excuse too many times for people just wanting to quit or as an excuse to not being labeled as getting fired.
He didn't do anything on the Forum for the last 3 years and just wanted to cash out. And probably saw the signs (or the internal data) that the forum was losing relevance, revenue and active members. The loss of Sales Age was a huge blow (at least as big as losing PC audience ;) ) for the professionalism and the insider- and Industry-place to be.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The report mentions an EBITDA margin of 80%, so he does not get to pocket the 50 k€ monthly revenue, but 80% of it (40k€).
Unless eonden tells me EBITDA margin is something else.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.