Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I don't think many people would minded how short it was if it had been priced accordingly.
I beat the game in a little over 4 hours and didn't even rush things. Given that it's reusing 95% of Resident Evil 2 Gameplay/Mechanics/Animations, it's basically a DLC that was sold standalone for full price. And with it being sold as such, a lot of people (including myself) would have wanted a proper, explorable racoon city, there's also the aspect about how Nemesis himself has been degraded to Crash Bandicoot moments.

The whole project feels like a squandered opportunity.

If i was capcom, i would have retooled the game into being DLC /a low cost standalone game serving as an intermediary between Remake 2 and a proper remake of 3.
I bought RE3 Remake for maybe 10 bucks (don't recall the exact price, but it was a deep sale somewhere), and I got pretty much what I wanted out of it. I certainly can't argue with people who paid full price for it.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
It may be hyperbole, but I think we are setting foot in a situation that resembles the great (American) videogame crash.
This can't continue.
You are pricing out your own customers.
It wouldn't be THAT big of an issue, if those cards were marketed as highest of high end.
But Devs code like that is their ideal graphical target, and you get the situation where even normal customers readily talk about how they NEED a xx80 or even xx90.

We laugh and point at the gaming press with their review score that got inflated to: 1-7 = trash, 8 = mediocre, 9 = Okay, 10 = GOTY
But the same is happening with graphic cards where we got from xx40 = very low end, xx50 == low-end to middle, xx60 = middle to high, xx70 = High end, xx80 = future proof for three to five years
to: xx60 = low end, xx70 = middle, xx80 = high, xx90 = high end for 2 years, while doubling or tripling the prices of all cards.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
It may be hyperbole, but I think we are setting foot in a situation that resembles the great (American) videogame crash.
This can't continue.
It wouldn't be THAT big of an issue, if those cards were marketed as highest of high end.
But Devs code like that is their ideal graphical target, and you get the situation where even normal customers readily talk about how they NEED a xx80 or even xx90.

We laugh and point at the gaming press with their review score that got inflated to: 1-7 = trash, 8 = mediocre, 9 = Okay, 10 = GOTY
But the same is happening with graphic cards where we got from xx40 = very low end, xx50 == low-end to middle, xx60 = middle to high, xx70 = High end, xx80 = future proof for three to five years
to: xx60 = low end, xx70 = middle, xx80 = high, xx90 = high end for 2 years, while doubling or tripling the prices of all cards.
This whole GPU situation is ridiculous unfortunately as Nvidia is still the market leader things will still be dire. Maybe one day AMD (lol) or Intel will put some fire under Nvidia ass, but until this day come I will keep using my RX5600xt and playing my indie games.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Spike Chunsoft, Inc. today is pleased to announce the previously cancelled Steam release of CHAOS;HEAD NOAH will launch on Steam on October 7, 2022, PDT as originally planned.

The company received the following statement from Valve, the operator of Steam:
"Valve's content review team, the group that made the original decision, has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course and allow the game to ship on Steam, as is. We've also examined the process that led to the previous decision about CHAOS;HEAD NOAH, and made some changes to avoid situations like this in the future."

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
This can't continue.

My thoughts exactly, hopefully Nvidia loses some market share this generation and we see some real competition because this pricing, size, and power consumption crap is getting out of hand. Even if the 4090 is a 100% uplift in comparison to the previous generation, it came at the expense of all forms of practicality, AMD at least is trying to improve performance per watt. Nvidia just said fuck it, let's make a 30 kilo mandingo size card that needs its own power plant to run, and let's make the 4070 900$ lmao. And just at the time that supply chains and GPU availability is coming back to normal, they decide to pull this shit.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Until every other VN that was unfairly banned from Steam and the problems with the devs who were essentially slapped in the face by Valve's submission process both get fixed, I don't believe their shit for a second. Valve's done a lot of damage and burned a lot of devs over the years who've lost significant profits by having to make expensive changes to the game only to still get their titles banned.

Yes, this is a Muramasa subpost.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
It has been a helluva couple of weeks IRL (well, and digitally really). Vaguely keeping up.
Last Sunday + Monday of September, helped brother and his family pack for their move 2,000 miles away, farthest we've ever been and he and my mom are my only family. He's also my main board game / co-op game buddy, among much else, so that sucks.

That same week was the last week at my job I'd been at for over 9 years after my whole US team got laid off in what many of the people who utilize our tools have referred to as "wtf". We did data management for an org of ~7,000 people managing dozens of projects so I guess... they just don't get to have reports, now, or something, who knows. Started my new job this week and it's going alright so far but the schedule is different and I already have sleep issues so I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night this whole week. Oh and my health insurance there doesn't start until December and I'm in America so I get to figure out how to have insurance for 2 months and not go broke. And also change my insurance info at doctor / pharmacy 3 times in the course of half a year.

Taking some time to try some Next Fest demos despite not having enough time to play what I'm already actively playing. Downloading a 24GB (!!) demo. I really dislike that "new" Discovery UI they're using here, it's such a huge pain to check the actual store page and back. Soulstone Survivors is my favorite I've tried so far.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Not too sure what we can do now except keep talking about those issues to keep the momentum forward. Hopefully Valve really did made the changes needed mentioned in the statement.

Hopefully there will be a public statement from Valve that detailed the change will be released where it's clear how they change the process to prevent these issue from occurring again.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Happy that Valve came to their senses on this, hopefully they can address the issues with their content review/ban system and make things right with any screwed over developers.

Spike Chunsoft must be over the moon, because of the controversy Chaos;Head Noah is now an extremely high profile release... and it launches tomorrow? Theyre about to absolutely bathe in money (relative to their initial sales expectations), and I'm going to be participating. Valve always understands money, got to send a message.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Glad to see Valve change their decision, but the good part in the statement is that Valve says they have investigated why it happened and taken steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. Hopefully that just doesn't mean doesn't happen to Spike Chunsoft again, but that there is an actual change at Valve when it comes VNs in general. Hopefully other devs keep making a fuzz.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It is not the first time Valve has reversed their decision on a VN being banned, but it is one of the first times they specifically called out making changes to their review process. Too early to say if it will be a noticeable change, but one thing that would be welcome is if some other devs who have had a game banned like ebi-hime can get their game ban reversed.

Edit: Also, I am still looking forward to Theswweet's article. I think there is still a lot to highlight on how Valve's policy has led to a lot of unnecessary stress for smaller devs, especially in the VN genre. I know of a few devs who have had their games banned or pressured to flag as adult who have had low to no sexual content (and not even with a more explicit/uncut version available elsewhere).

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
From the wording of Valve's statement in the press release, it's pretty clear that Valve has found no evidence of “possible illegal contents” in the game. Furthermore, given their willingness to admit that their curation process is in the wrong, it is safe to say that there is no “pushing the envelope for risky content” shenanigans that some people trying to spread to further their narrative.

Despite that, while we can consider this a win, I think the battle is still far from over. Until we see the supposedly refined guidelines implemented without bias, whose to say they won't ban White Album 2 in the future just because the leads wears uniforms, for example?

Anyway, time for another campaign.

#SAVEFMDM

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sweet baby Jesus !
I more or less abandoned the idea of formatting my drive to save game pass on C:, it was more or less an OCD thing and I don't care enough.
But I may not have a choice.
Pretty sure this windows motherfucker set me up with weird permissions. I can't sync with steam cloud saves.

edit. Just a matter of launching as admin. This whole adventure has put a new light on an eventual linux transition. If only Proton was ubiquitous.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Those new gpu's are ridiculous, in price, power draw and in size and i think im skipping a few generations. Interesting to see on the Steam Survey that the high end cards make up a very small percentage of gamers playing games. Shows how you dont need the cutting edge tech to enjoy this hobby, highest used card is a 1060.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Those new gpu's are ridiculous, in price, power draw and in size and i think im skipping a few generations. Interesting to see on the Steam Survey that the high end cards make up a very small percentage of gamers playing games. Shows how you dont need the cutting edge tech to enjoy this hobby, highest used card is a 1060.
Exactly this. High end PCs are either sports cars or a kitted out old knacker with speed lines drawn on it.

Most people have dependable systems that last them for years. I think if Intel or AMD can get an affordable card that is true midrange (as 1060 was for its time) out they will make bank for countering Nvidia’s bullshit.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm really happy Valve changed course regarding VNs. As I said previously that was probably the single most disagreeable thing about their treatment of Steam for me in recent years.

I really don't agree with this, at least the part regarding the graphical target.

People are happy playing PC games on the Steam Deck, which is literally 50 times less powerful than a 4090.
A few enthusiasts on the internet might think that you need a xx80 or xx90, but the vast majority of people are served very well with a <=400 USD GPU (which makes sense since that's also where you see the performance level of the current top-end consoles).

AMD at least is trying to improve performance per watt. Nvidia just said fuck it
This isn't really the case. We don't have the precise data yet, but from what we do know e.g. the 4090 is going to be at least ~60% more efficient than the previous generation of GPUs (and thus easily the most efficient ever made, as it should be for a new gen of course).

I honestly feel like the (completely wrong) 600W GPU "leaks" (or rather, unsubstantiated rumours) have skewed perceptions a bit too much. The load power consumption of the 4090 is the same as a 3090ti. Which is a lot, but it's also not unprecedented.

I completely agree with your point, though for completeness the 3060 recently became the most used GPU on Steam (between the desktop and laptop model, which are combined for previous gens).

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I'm really happy Valve changed course regarding VNs. As I said previously that was probably the single most disagreeable thing about their treatment of Steam for me in recent years.

I really don't agree with this, at least the part regarding the graphical target.

People are happy playing PC games on the Steam Deck, which is literally 50 times less powerful than a 4090.
A few enthusiasts on the internet might think that you need a xx80 or xx90, but the vast majority of people are served very well with a <=400 USD GPU (which makes sense since that's also where you see the performance level of the current top-end consoles).

This isn't really the case. We don't have the precise data yet, but from what we do know e.g. the 4090 is going to be at least ~60% more efficient than the previous generation of GPUs (and thus easily the most efficient ever made, as it should be for a new gen of course).

I honestly feel like the (completely wrong) 600W GPU "leaks" (or rather, unsubstantiated rumours) have skewed perceptions a bit too much. The load power consumption of the 4090 is the same as a 3090ti. Which is a lot, but it's also not unprecedented.

I completely agree with your point, though for completeness the 3060 recently became the most used GPU on Steam (between the desktop and laptop model, which are combined for previous gens).
Apparently 600W target was when they were doing plans with Samsung. Then they switched to TMSC that had way more efficient 4nm process so they could lower power requirements significantly. That is according to Igors Lab.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I hope Valve opens the door to unfairly considered VNs to get a second go, and that Valve has a constructive discussion with the developers about what content they want removed as conditions for a Steam release.

It’s pretty obvious someone was making developers jump through hoops and then banning the games anyway, and since it only applied to VNs it seems obvious either Valve had a distinct policy for them or someone in the review team had an axe to grind against VNs.

If Valve plays it down as fixing a process then they need to take a retroactive view and look at all the decisions made in that process.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Valve should give anime back on Steam.
I would like to buy the other seasons of prisma illya on the platform. :p
Or buy the new Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid season with the new bullet hell game that releases this month would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.