Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
So I'm trying to download a game and running into an issue I haven't seen before. It downloads at full speed up until about 98-99%, then it falls to 40-80 B/s. It's been stuck at that speed for over an hour continuously. I also tried stopping / restarting, and exiting and re-opening Steam, and still just falls to nothing. If it was just doing disk installation it usually reads 0, and it looks like it IS actually downloading. I also had it download an update for another game which downloaded and applied at normal speed on the same disk.

Actually, as I was typing this, I got a "connection timed out" error on just that game download. What the heck. All games are hosted and downloaded by Steam servers right? So it shouldn't matter what game it even is.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So I'm trying to download a game and running into an issue I haven't seen before. It downloads at full speed up until about 98-99%, then it falls to 40-80 B/s. It's been stuck at that speed for over an hour continuously. I also tried stopping / restarting, and exiting and re-opening Steam, and still just falls to nothing. If it was just doing disk installation it usually reads 0, and it looks like it IS actually downloading. I also had it download an update for another game which downloaded and applied at normal speed on the same disk.

Actually, as I was typing this, I got a "connection timed out" error on just that game download. What the heck. All games are hosted and downloaded by Steam servers right? So it shouldn't matter what game it even is.
I just quit P4G and before restarting it I had a 500 something kb download.
Same as you, B/s and in freefall.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I just quit P4G and before restarting it I had a 500 something kb download.
Same as you, B/s and in freefall.
I was able to pick a different, bigger game, download and install that with 0 issue, it switched back to trying to download the last ~1mb of the other game and just stops. There's 0 disk activity either, even checking in Task Manager

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Played about an hour of Cultic. Pretty good shooty shooty. Not played that many 'retro' shooters but this one is fun. Atmosphere is good. Looks interesting. Has a fair few options which is always nice.

Also had 15 mins on The Case of the Golden Idol. Again pretty good. Puzzle like point and click detective game. I like the concept.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I logged a support ticket because it really appears to only be this one game for me. Out of curiosity, anyone else here trying it? I'm assuming not but never know:

Also it has some reviews so some people are playing it but not in English, so I wonder if Steam somehow fudged up US server files or something. Or it's related to the language pack, maybe something is screwy there, but I would expect an actual error if Windows didn't have something support, rather than freaky slow downloads

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Played about an hour of Cultic. Pretty good shooty shooty. Not played that many 'retro' shooters but this one is fun. Atmosphere is good. Looks interesting. Has a fair few options which is always nice.

Also had 15 mins on The Case of the Golden Idol. Again pretty good. Puzzle like point and click detective game. I like the concept.

I want those two so badly fuck, but I have other games to play.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I wish we had a real PC game site. Like RPS but with actual reviewers. One of them has the bad habits of spoiling games, and the rest are not that much better.
Where do I have to go to see enthusiast overage of this incredibly rich platform…

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
:shrugblob:
I use my Youtube subs for years now.
But I have no sub and their ads makes me want to kill cute animals.

Do I have to make everything myself ?

Mmh, I certainly have the time, but strong will is not my forte. And uh, I like to think I will someday work in a job with a future, which is not obvious for press.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Finished Scorn.
immensely atmospheric game with an incredible asthetic, but unfortunately it doesn't have much to offer beyond that
I'll still play it for the art direction and atmosphere... with a walkthrough handy... when and if it gets patched to address the difficulty and terrible checkpointing

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Jesus the last mission of Hitman 1 - Patient Zero.
I assassinated an hospital.

I'm underwhelmed to see you can play it clean. I found the need to be gun happy a pretty interesting subversion of the traditional Hitman play-style.
I probably cleaned out every location in the Hitman trilogy once, some more often than that ;P
It is fun even if its not "meant" to be played this way.

But I have no sub and their ads makes me want to kill cute animals.

Do I have to make everything myself ?

Mmh, I certainly have the time, but strong will is not my forte. And uh, I like to think I will someday work in a job with a future, which is not obvious for press.
Adblock exists :)

Speaking of, any nice yt channel recommendations aside from the more well known ones (lazy game reviews, etc.)?
there is a thread on YouTube gaming videos – Community - Games related YouTube video thread

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Speaking of, any nice yt channel recommendations aside from the more well known ones (lazy game reviews, etc.)?
I don't exactly watch Youtube game reviewers. (RIP TotalBiscuit)
I just have my staple stable of niche YouTubers that will inform me of any good new game in the niches I like, just through the prevalence and amount of videos they do.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Not on Ipad. And let me tell you, I’m so chillax in the sofa right now that the lower part of my body is more elevated than the upper one.
But generally, sure, thank god for adblock.
Check out AdGuard for iOS, I use it on my phone and I don’t get ads on YouTube. Granted I have to watch in safari but I rather that than YouTube app with ads.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wish we had a real PC game site. Like RPS but with actual reviewers. One of them has the bad habits of spoiling games, and the rest are not that much better.
Where do I have to go to see enthusiast overage of this incredibly rich platform…
I know it's a shameless plug but my site does reviews in english and we only write about PC games, both big releases and niche titles.

https://ragequit.gr/en/

Do note that our bilingual support plugin is somewhat slow so pages take a few seconds to load.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Fuck capitalism.
While capitalism has problems (to put it mildly), this sound like a problem where they should have first been clear about which rights they are selling, and what controls they still have after taking foreign money. Might have meant that Disco wouldn't have started, or for less money, but would have avoided a situation where they are basically being taken over by their own investor.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
The game is neither difficult nor has issues with checkpoints in my opinion, i really don't understand how reviewers reached that opinion
That's interesting, since a lot of reviews expressed frustration with dying during combat, and more significantly, checkpointing that sounds objectively terrible by any reasonable definition, in some cases involving over an hour of playtime in between autosaves, as well as issues where the game would autosave in instances where the reviewer was about to be killed, or had health too low to make it through the next area. But YMMV, I guess

• Eyes

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
This is so crazy, I couldn't not share it.

I tested it, and it works.
I started doing that a "long" time ago for websites and even some gaming login things.

The big problem with it is the +whatever fucks up a LOT of website, client logins, whatever because well they're stupid. They don't expect people to be clever or have + or . or "strange" stuff in their email addresses so I had one instance where I was allowed to create an account doing that and then every time I tried to log in it said I didn't have an account but then when I tried to log in it said that account was already created but it used my real email and the +thing

So it's kind of a buyer beware

Status
Not open for further replies.