Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
So how does this work for board partners? Do they get to put another sticker on the card or does it mean a few months of engineering effort down the drain?

TLDW
  • 4080 12gb boxes destroyed/recycled, costs most likely subsidized by nvidia.
  • According to 1 AIB source. the "not 4080" card will likely be priced lower than $900

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Goddamn Darktide is good, but jesus christ the performance in the beta is rough.

If anyone is interested, you can get access to the beta on the Steam page.
Yeah, it definitely went from sorta on my radar to a serious contender for a day 1 purchase. I liked the game overall. That said, 100% the same experience with performance. It is bad, really bad.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I tried out Darktide. The performance needs some work, and there appear to be some common settings missing (No sensitivity slider?), but otherwise you can have a good time in the beta. I got it working on Proton (Linux).

I'm always looking for another good L4D-like. It has the bones of Vermintide 2, but the increased focus on firearms and level design catered to enemies that take cover and shoot back gives it a different feel for sure. I'm not sure it'll have the same variety of builds of say Vermintide, but the classes seem fun so far. Charging over a group of enemies as an Ogryn is pretty satisfying. I'm interested if the character customization on your background will have an impact on the banter, since not having pre-defined characters this time could lead to less memorable dialogue. I'm not very familiar with Warhammer 40K, but the visual design is nicely done.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey and Tomasety

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
TLDW
  • 4080 12gb boxes destroyed/recycled, costs most likely subsidized by nvidia.
  • According to 1 AIB source. the "not 4080" card will likely be priced lower than $900
Yeah it makes sense that Nvidia would have to pay for this mistake. If they planned this to be a $900 card then they probably sold it to partners for $850. Now if it becomes a $700 card then Nvidia will have to pay back the difference at the very least. And also pay for incidental costs like packaging and stuff as mentioned.

I still have to wonder what prompted this hugely embarrassing move. It has to be something really, really big.\

EDIT - Okay apparently Nvidia told Polygon that they hadn't started manufacturing the 12gb card yet. So I guess partners wouldn't have had to pay for them yet and their expenses so far are limited to engineering on samples and of course the packaging stuff and all. Although I wonder, was this not meant to launch alongside the 16gb variant next month? How can they not have started manufacturing if that was the case?

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
There was an Steam Client beta update earlier today that adds some changes around DLC and updates and how they are called out on the library pages.

The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes.

Library
  • Added a section to display a rollup of new DLC and other game content that has been released since you last visited a game's library page. Once visible, this section will automatically hide after a short period of time.
  • Rebuilt how featured game news is displayed on library game pages. It is now displayed as a featured post at the top of the activity feed to improve readability and reduce the required work for game devs. The entry is shown for a short period of time before returning to its chronological spot in the activity feed.
  • Updated the presentation of the new DLC added to your account section on library game pages.
  • Changed how major updates are displayed in the library activity section to make them easier to find.
Here is how the available DLC callout looks in the library:

This is the other change that highlights major updates blue in the library page activity feed:

This is the change calling out that DLC has been added recently and will be installed:

Overall, I like this change, but I will be curious to see how long it takes for the notice to disappear on its own and will it disappear regardless of whether or not I have viewed it. Ideally it would disappear within a few days of seeing it, purchasing the DLC, and/or installing/uninstalling the the game.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Sony's support of Steam Deck is very cool to see, hopefully Microsoft follows them. Their games are generally playable but with a bit more effort they could push them towards verified. Also, an XCloud Steam app would be nice.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Are there games yet that have in game graphics settings specifically for the deck? While I would love to see community settings like for the steam controller, in game by the devs optimised for the deck would be great too!

• Eyes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Here's something strange, I did the SAM thing to remove one achievement games... BUT my average completion rate went DOWN! Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Steams achievement systems is such a mystery. Like some games where I removed the achievement, it still says its 1% done.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
cloud sucks
I imagine Valve would opt for a Geforce Now kinda of thing, though. So you still buy a "real" PC game, you can still download it on your machine, but also run it on the Valve Cloud and stream it if you want to.

The biggest problem with cloud gaming is its threat to game preservation, but as long as it just takes regular PC games, which you still own and can install on real hardware, there's no problem on that front.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
In the age where getting a new gpu is an herculean task and/or would cost you a kidney, I can see the apeal of renting an edge computer for a couple of months just to play whatever demanding game you're interested in, as long as you own the game and it's tied to the steam ecosystem.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Neon Prime does sound like a subscription service of some kind.

Maybe Valve is doing its own gamepass thing. 10$ a month and you get access to 100 games or something. Maybe a VR only service. Cloud makes sense too but I feel like they would have been beta testing stuff like that and it would have leaked by now with a lot of details.

Everyone is making billions every year with these subscriptions services. Even Nintendo with its shitty low effort online made a billion last year. It would be easy money for Valve as long as they don't get bad PR from it like charge people for online etc.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Here's something strange, I did the SAM thing to remove one achievement games... BUT my average completion rate went DOWN! Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Steams achievement systems is such a mystery. Like some games where I removed the achievement, it still says its 1% done.
If you ever unlocked an achievement in a game, it’ll always count towards your AGC% even if you remove achievements via SAM/SAR, remove the game from your account or refund it.

• Eyes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
If you ever unlocked an achievement in a game, it’ll always count towards your AGC% even if you remove achievements via SAM/SAR, remove the game from your account or refund it.
So why did it go down? I assume a game I had 1% in before, now counts as 0%? I mean I do want to remove achievements in games where I just have one, but not to the detriment of my AGC!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, it's surely the Prime part of it but it evokes a sub service to me.
Which I'm very cool with. More than cool. Hyped as fuck ? Maybe.

Whichever way it goes it's interesting.

edit
But then, either way, why Neon ? Why not Valve or Steam ? I like the name, it's just a little odd to make a new label.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
It could be a Steam Deck related thing too. A gamepass like for Deck users would make sense as it is much harder to discover new games on it compared to the desktop client with M/KB. A lot of newbies buying Deck who don't even have a other PC options as well. A lot of them pass on games because they aren't new enough or look too indie etc. Valve could put together a decent verified only handheld service for all the casuals.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hmh thinking about using SAM to remove the achievements in games where I just have one. But feels like I'm cheating at life then haha. But it is bugging me a little bit that I have just one achievement in some games, games I'm never going to play.
I've used SAM to reset my achievements for a couple of games in the past, not because I didn't want them but because I wanted to refresh the date on the 1 achievement I had gotten. For some reason it really bugged me that the first achievement would be from 2017 or whatever, and the rest were from 2020.

Deleted member 113

CyberBlocker Complete Edition, a Japanese indie game released this week, is a rather fun arcade game, and a nice spin on the classic block breaker formula. It mixes Arkanoid, with a shmup.

Imagine Arkanoid, with the usual stuff (similar power-ups included). But, instead of a single paddle, you have 2. By default, they are detached, and the one below is just like you would expect (it moves, it grows with certain power-ups, ...), but it can shoot at any time. The second one you can move freely anywhere on the screen, so you use it to go hit the ball (which means, instead of waiting for the ball to come down like in most games of the genre, you actively go meet it most times on the top of the screen). But, you can also drop this second paddle all the way down, and it joins the other one, connecting side by side, and in this mode they both shoot projectiles.

Mix this with stages that are either typical of the genre, or ones that have shmup-like bosses and enemies, and an energetic dance soundtrack, and you have an addictive, high speed game, that really would have made a great title for the arcades.

If you like the genre, it's worth checking out.
There's a demo available on Steam, if anyone wishes to try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
In the age where getting a new gpu is an herculean task and/or would cost you a kidney, I can see the apeal of renting an edge computer for a couple of months just to play whatever demanding game you're interested in, as long as you own the game and it's tied to the steam ecosystem.
depends on the sub model.
But like Gamepass it would make the aspect of just gaming when you like more like a spreadsheet to fill out, so that you get your money worth of gaming.
maybe I think I want to play the game for the unforeseeable future, and then I quit after an hour or two and I will have in the back of my mind, that I threw the money out the window because I don't feel that I want to play right now.
I'll do it the first time, I'll do it a second time, but I will think if it is worth it the third time.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and kio

TiV1L

Sep 20, 2019
Are you 100% sure of that? To my knowledge, once you unlock an achievement from a game it will always be counted no matter if you own the game or not.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
CyberBlocker Complete Edition, a Japanese indie game released this week, is a rather fun arcade game, and a nice spin on the classic block breaker formula. It mixes Arkanoid, with a shmup.

Imagine Arkanoid, with the usual stuff (similar power-ups included). But, instead of a single paddle, you have 2. By default, they are detached, and the one below is just like you would expect (it moves, it grows with certain power-ups, ...), but it can shoot at any time. The second one you can move freely anywhere on the screen, so you use it to go hit the ball (which means, instead of waiting for the ball to come down like in most games of the genre, you actively go meet it most times on the top of the screen). But, you can also drop this second paddle all the way down, and it joins the other one, connecting side by side, and in this mode they both shoot projectiles.

Mix this with stages that are either typical of the genre, or ones that have shmup-like bosses and enemies, and an energetic dance soundtrack, and you have an addictive, high speed game, that really would have made a great title for the arcades.

If you like the genre, it's worth checking out.
There's a demo available on Steam, if anyone wishes to try it out.

That sounds like an interesting mix of genres.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
It's ridiculous how cheap the whole Metro saga is on steam right now.
Going to start Exodus now. Though the first 2 games are some of my favorite FPS, being broke prevented me from getting it sooner.
Don't sleep on this if you still haven't checked this series out.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I really enjoyed the first 2 Metro games, but I could not force myself to finish Exodus. I don't think the open world suits this game, because my favorite parts were the linear story moments.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Are you 100% sure of that? To my knowledge, once you unlock an achievement from a game it will always be counted no matter if you own the game or not.
I may have phrased that awkwardly a bit - my point is that if you have a 10% game and want to get your AGC higher by removing/refunding the game, it won't work (the game will still be a part of calculations). So we're saying the same thing in the end (and removed achievements via SAR/SAM won't count but the game will, even at 0% completion).

Reactions: Tomasety and TiV1L

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Tried the Darktide beta, liked it a lot and Im suprised how well it ran on my rig as I keep reading about people with RTX cards having problems.

Maybe it's due to my 1080p monitor, but not sure. Still, my 1080p gsync monitor is keeping my GTX 1080 well alive.

I still have the money ready for a completely new rig (have had the money ready for 3 years at least), but as long as I don't need to compromise too much for my likings in games, I can keep using my current rig for now.

Only issue I had with Darktide is long loading times, but Im also one of the few people on the planet still using HDDs to play games, only have an SSD for the OS.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Even more news about ZA/UM and Robert Kurvitz's firing.

What happened to Robert was what happens to most talented people that get any recognition in our age — he got manipulated by psychopaths. And the people that have been railed up against him and his entourage, they have also been manipulated by psychopaths so it doesn’t really make anything much better if we get mad at them. Robert trusted the people that got him fired completely before they got him fired. He thought they were his friends. This is a major ‘red check failure’ really. We should take time to analyse it.
There's discussion about Kurvitz being blamed for fostering a toxic work environment, though the author says he suspects it was upper management that was actually the cause. But also, it paints Kurvitz as a troubled person... which isn't surprising.

To end on a more positive note, Robert said some months ago that he is confident about one day writing Elysium again. I would take him at his word. Many have also asked me how they could contribute. There are two main resources any person has, which are time and attention, and any ‘Disco fan’ has already chosen to give them to the game and its creators, and to the situation around it. Be confident that you will do what needs to be done when you see it.
So... that's nice? I mean, I hope it's not just naivety/optimism.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Tried the Darktide beta, liked it a lot and Im suprised how well it ran on my rig as I keep reading about people with RTX cards having problems.

Maybe it's due to my 1080p monitor, but not sure. Still, my 1080p gsync monitor is keeping my GTX 1080 well alive.

I still have the money ready for a completely new rig (have had the money ready for 3 years at least), but as long as I don't need to compromise too much for my likings in games, I can keep using my current rig for now.

Only issue I had with Darktide is long loading times, but Im also one of the few people on the planet still using HDDs to play games, only have an SSD for the OS.
I'm on a nvme drive, and the load time still bad.

• Sad

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Dang. Awful. Though signing it off with bashing fellow voice actress for taking the job wasn't great, that's what the man wants, to fight among each other, right?

Of course the comments are stupid wars as usual, just comment on the awful situation folks, don't pretend to know about everything else like randoms calling Bayonetta an AAA game and most valuable IP or how Nintendo decided who gets what from the budget allocated to Platinum to develop the game etc. (not to say that I think Nintendo pay contract voice actors better than any other corporation but they're probably decent with localization studios like their Treehouse).

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Why wait for after the game to come out to make that statement? It's not like they didn't know before this

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Why wait for after the game to come out to make that statement? It's not like they didn't know before this
Only now was Platinum asked if it's a new voice actress for Bayonetta 3 and they confirmed it with the token "schedule conflicts" reasoning, so that's a response.

It's not out yet. Edit: oh I guess you're talking about DE, never mind. I guess this explains it enough though. Being fooled/manipulated until shit hit the fan.
What happened to Robert was what happens to most talented people that get any recognition in our age — he got manipulated by psychopaths. And the people that have been railed up against him and his entourage, they have also been manipulated by psychopaths so it doesn’t really make anything much better if we get mad at them. Robert trusted the people that got him fired completely before they got him fired. He thought they were his friends. This is a major ‘red check failure’ really. We should take time to analyse it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Even more news about ZA/UM and Robert Kurvitz's firing.

There's discussion about Kurvitz being blamed for fostering a toxic work environment, though the author says he suspects it was upper management that was actually the cause. But also, it paints Kurvitz as a troubled person... which isn't surprising.

So... that's nice? I mean, I hope it's not just naivety/optimism.
As i said i know person who works there and that person is very vocal about injustice but everything they said regarding this was that things are not how they look from the reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.