Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Page 2 is shit, don’t do page 2 boys and girls. I have too many quotes that will make for a boring post.

That said. Puddinggggggg ! :cat-heart-blob:

Realms Deep was packed, 3:40 of games ! Incredible ! Unfortunate that I didn’t find anything catching my eyes, but at the same time this is a type of games that tends to naturally grow out of word of mouth if they are good. Not exactly fascinating to watch in a trailer.

I still noted Caliph something, Isles of the Caliph ? And evidently Cultic interlude.

As for already released games, I’m intrigued by Eggwife, and Postal Brain Damaged.
Is the Postal series good ? Are there good or bad episodes ? I always avoided it, thinking it was bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Taking a few minutes deep dive into the console stores and EGS and no wonder indies are focusing on Steam to release their games.

GOG seems to at least be doing some sort of improvements.

Out of the three of them I feel like Sony is the one that is handling it better, how ever you have to be "chosen" by Sony. The Xbox store, just is not that great and just feels like a derivative of the Windows store. I do find it funny how on the Xbox page, it even says "hey you thinking of doing all digital"? All while not really improving the digital shopping experience. It feels like it's doing a lot more to push for Game Pass.

At some point I'm going to make a post on some other sites and ask people would improvements would they like? Or if they don't simply care? If people are physical only people then it won't really matter to them what the online store experience is like.

The PSN store experience has been all over the place, I remember during the later half of the PS3 era that PSN just was terrible, during the PS4 era it would okay but was still slow. Finally during the PS5 era, it's a lot faster and more responsive.

eShop on the current switch is just slow, slow to the point were people are recommending to others to just go on the Switch equivalent of PSPricecs, which in itself feels like a bare bones version of isthereanydeal. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it may be bare bones but it does have the information that you need there.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
As far as I love Steam, eShop is very good for indies too and some of them are less censored than are on Steam like Mugen Souls / Z. And if you go
through japanese eShop store is even better, so if you have one, think about creating an account there.

EDIT:
and if you have one BUY this game:
the hell is my most played game by far during these last weeks.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
As far as I love Steam, eShop is very good for indies too and some of them are less censored than are on Steam like Mugen Souls / Z. And if you go
through japanese eShop store is even better, so if you have one, think about creating an account there.
Sure, but man the does the Switch struggle with it.

Reactions: PC-tan and Censored

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
As for my October, at first glance it's a wishlist month, nothing really interesting me.

At second glance I suppose I won't be able to resist MGS.
There is a DLC for Ion Fury tomorrow but I have still to play the base game.
Front Mission 2 Remake on Switch is a major good news, but I guess I will wait for the PC version.
Sega is high on drugs with their new Sonic pricing.
Good news to see Lunacid full release.

I guess my only certainty is that I will play Mario Wonder, one way or another.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Not a ton in October for me. Maybe the new Star Trek game since I played a ton of the Star Trek Armada 3 Sins of a Solar Empire mod and the new Mario game.

I do really love Alan Wake as well. Maybe AW2 will be a nvidia bundled game and I'll be able to get a super cheap key?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I've played a bit of Counter-Strike 2 and I'm still godawful at it. Never got into it much as Team Fortress 2 was my jam back in the day. I've been reading online and there are a lot of complaints that game modes and maps in GO were removed and it doesn't feel ready for prime time. Also Valve ditched the Mac version for whatever reason I trust Valve to fix their stuff more than say, Blizzard, but it's disappointing to see CS2 being rushed. My conspiracy theory is they put it on market prematurely as they have an esports major in about 5 months and need to polish the gameplay before going back and adding more maps and modes.

Anyway the only games I plan to buy this month are Mario Wonder and Ghostrunner 2.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

EDIT:
and if you have one BUY this game:
the hell is my most played game by far during these last weeks.
I was mentioning something about trying to do that, both make a JPN account and also visit the Japanese website since I would imagine that there would be some difference. I would imagine that it would mainly come down to the content but I would think that it still functions fundamentally the same as it does in NA for me (does Nintendo have a back-end exclusively for Japan were it's designed completely differently?, I know that in the past when I used my JPN PSN account both on my Vita and the website that yes content was different and they had way more free themes, but beyond that they functioned the same)

If anything one of the things that I am more curious is how Indies are presented in Japan by Nintendo. I know that Nindies have a X page and stuff for Japan and things like that, but I am curious as to how often some games get released in Japan. I know that that are some indie publishers who's main target is Japan, they both try to publish some Japanese indie games for the rest of the world but they also translate those games into Japanese and even release physical copies of those indie games in japan.

The eShop also has issue and it does cencor games as well, and those things vary by game. There is this one particular Japanese indie dev that has made a name for themselves (even though I forget it, it starts with a Q), they have cause issues for both Steam and the eShop. A number of there games were banned from Steam and some of their other works were banned from the eShop (in one of there games on the eShop it's censored by showing purple blood meanwhile the Steam version shows red blood). You also have the WSS idol game, on the eShop it's censored and shows candy, while the Steam version shows pills that you know are drugs. There are other games and stuff but yeah even the eShop also censors games but all of it depends on what type of game you play (no Mortal Kombat, although that is more of a CERO thing).

Indies is one of the reasons why PC gaming has become more popular in Japan and yes there defiantly are popular smaller indie games from Japan that show up, aren't they few and far between on the Switch? You do get indies that end up releasing on PC months and even years ahead of what they do on the JPN eShop, but then again you do get the benefit of getting a physical copy if you want seeing how by that time that they game will have had a bunch of bug fixes and a lot of it's post launch content released already. You do get free fan translations as well. I mean look at Helltaker, that game was able to "pop off" in Japan from a free fan translation even though it was a PC only game and ended up getting figures from Japan being released for it (crazy stuff)

Japanese eShop also still gets hit with a lot of shovel ware as well, I do remember reading complaints from multiple Japanese users over that. How ever it doesn't seem to be as bad as NA. I would imagine it's like this because of how you have to get a game rated for every region on top of paying some one to translate it to Japanese.

I have to look at it some more but wow just wow. just look at all that is wrong with this game.

This very likley is just a one off thing but I did want to find out just how many of these types of games there are on the eShop. I just realized that Nintendo doesn't require CERO and you could use IARC instead. That is something else.

By the way I see why getting stuff from JPN eShop would also not be an issue since it tells you what games support English. I just found a game called Angle Whisper on the JPN eShop that has Japanese and English support meanwhile the NA version only has English support. The JPN version technically is cheaper by like $0.20

I think I will dig deeper because this is interesting stuff to me.

Sure, but man the does the Switch struggle with it.
Yeah no matter the region, I would assume that it would have the same performance issues on all Switches, which makes me wonder as to what sites do Japanese players use to buy games from the shop, similar to Dekudeals, I would imagine that it's only the most hard core fans that use DD and more casual people don't even know that it exist.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
New thread!
Thanks as always Mor
Looking forward to Motorsport, feels like we havent had a "motorsport" entry in the franchise for way too long.
Hope the MGS releases are decent as well.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I've been a bit silly, with the launch of Counter Strike 2 and hearing about how people are selling in game stuff for big bucks I thought 'hey, I could be one of those lucky people' and bought a case with the intention of opening it, receiving the ultra rare weapon inside and selling it thus completing my retirement plan.

Opened the case, got some rusty shit gun worth 11p.

Bought 2 more cases, opened them, more crappy guns worth about 6p each.

Man this case lottery stuff is addictive. I'm stopping now but i can see how easily people could get sucked into buying these things.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I've been a bit silly, with the launch of Counter Strike 2 and hearing about how people are selling in game stuff for big bucks I thought 'hey, I could be one of those lucky people' and bought a case with the intention of opening it, receiving the ultra rare weapon inside and selling it thus completing my retirement plan.

Opened the case, got some rusty shit gun worth 11p.

Bought 2 more cases, opened them, more crappy guns worth about 6p each.

Man this case lottery stuff is addictive. I'm stopping now but i can see how easily people could get sucked into buying these things.
I was thinking of opening up my cases but I think I'm just going to sell them.

When it comes to Pokemon I have purchased a lot of pack and there was only a handful of times when I got anything good. Which sucks

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I was thinking of opening up my cases but I think I'm just going to sell them.

When it comes to Pokemon I have purchased a lot of pack and there was only a handful of times when I got anything good. Which sucks
It's a trade off isn't it, between getting a few quid for the case or maybe getting some deluxe item. Gambling is no joke though so be careful everyone, easy to fall into the hole.

Reactions: PC-tan

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I was mentioning something about trying to do that, both make a JPN account and also visit the Japanese website since I would imagine that there would be some difference. I would imagine that it would mainly come down to the content but I would think that it still functions fundamentally the same as it does in NA for me (does Nintendo have a back-end exclusively for Japan were it's designed completely differently?, I know that in the past when I used my JPN PSN account both on my Vita and the website that yes content was different and they had way more free themes, but beyond that they functioned the same)

If anything one of the things that I am more curious is how Indies are presented in Japan by Nintendo. I know that Nindies have a X page and stuff for Japan and things like that, but I am curious as to how often some games get released in Japan. I know that that are some indie publishers who's main target is Japan, they both try to publish some Japanese indie games for the rest of the world but they also translate those games into Japanese and even release physical copies of those indie games in japan.

The eShop also has issue and it does cencor games as well, and those things vary by game. There is this one particular Japanese indie dev that has made a name for themselves (even though I forget it, it starts with a Q), they have cause issues for both Steam and the eShop. A number of there games were banned from Steam and some of their other works were banned from the eShop (in one of there games on the eShop it's censored by showing purple blood meanwhile the Steam version shows red blood). You also have the WSS idol game, on the eShop it's censored and shows candy, while the Steam version shows pills that you know are drugs. There are other games and stuff but yeah even the eShop also censors games but all of it depends on what type of game you play (no Mortal Kombat, although that is more of a CERO thing).

Indies is one of the reasons why PC gaming has become more popular in Japan and yes there defiantly are popular smaller indie games from Japan that show up, aren't they few and far between on the Switch? You do get indies that end up releasing on PC months and even years ahead of what they do on the JPN eShop, but then again you do get the benefit of getting a physical copy if you want seeing how by that time that they game will have had a bunch of bug fixes and a lot of it's post launch content released already. You do get free fan translations as well. I mean look at Helltaker, that game was able to "pop off" in Japan from a free fan translation even though it was a PC only game and ended up getting figures from Japan being released for it (crazy stuff)

Japanese eShop also still gets hit with a lot of shovel ware as well, I do remember reading complaints from multiple Japanese users over that. How ever it doesn't seem to be as bad as NA. I would imagine it's like this because of how you have to get a game rated for every region on top of paying some one to translate it to Japanese.

I have to look at it some more but wow just wow. just look at all that is wrong with this game.

This very likley is just a one off thing but I did want to find out just how many of these types of games there are on the eShop. I just realized that Nintendo doesn't require CERO and you could use IARC instead. That is something else.

By the way I see why getting stuff from JPN eShop would also not be an issue since it tells you what games support English. I just found a game called Angle Whisper on the JPN eShop that has Japanese and English support meanwhile the NA version only has English support. The JPN version technically is cheaper by like $0.20

I think I will dig deeper because this is interesting stuff to me.

Yeah no matter the region, I would assume that it would have the same performance issues on all Switches, which makes me wonder as to what sites do Japanese players use to buy games from the shop, similar to Dekudeals, I would imagine that it's only the most hard core fans that use DD and more casual people don't even know that it exist.
For people who don't have a japanese account. Create a japanese account it's easy you only need to put the region where you want to create that account. If you only want to use just one account you can even change the region of your account on settings

I prefer to use one account by region. I have 4 regional accounts.
I have 4 regional accounts. Why 4? Native country (Europe), Japanese, USA and HongKong
Why HK? Because some asian only games, I mean, some games that appear on Japan and some other Asian countries, the japanese version only have japanese language, but instead the Asian version HK, Singapour, etc... have english (and chinese) language.
F.E. Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match DX. The japanese edition is japanese only but the asian version can be played in english.

The same happens on PS4 but even weirder. digital Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match DX version on PS4 is only in japanese in Japan, in HK is chinese only but the version from Singapour can be played in English.

console eShop navigation is the same as it's on the other regions -just with games release in japanese market- but yep My Nintendo Store(マイニンテンドーストア) differs a little but it's trash too.

I think you mean qureate

And yes here it's like you said some games are uncensored on Steam and censored on Switch. That's why I think Steam and Nintendo Switch are the best combo for the people who like indies.
F.e. Seven Pirates H was banned on Steam, but can be found on Switch (and well-known Ecchi PC Stores)

or a game like Livestream 2: Escape from Togaezuka Happy Place (I enjoyed and got the first one on Steam) released on Switch the past September, If I'm not wrong should be released soon on Steam.

I have a japanese CC to buy japanese games on eShop but Gift cards can be purchased on trusted sites like Play-Asia (I bought them a lot).

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It’s not an issue. There are more important things than Ooblets. Like climate change.
if your bum is itching and you need to scratch it, that too is more important than Ooblets.

something something CS2
I dunno why Valve decided to do the Overwatch 2 thing and remove CSGO completely... not that I ever played it or care, but it always rubs me the wrong way when a game is just removed. especially since people bought CSGO at some point before it went F2P

__

games for me this month: just Ion Fury Aftershock, maybe Cities Skylines 2 - Tony Hawk and the MGS collection I'll probably get on sale later on. I'll keep an eye on Jusant. But I'll mostly be playing RE4, Lies of P, BG3, Trine 5 and Cyberpunk.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
I dunno why Valve decided to do the Overwatch 2 thing and remove CSGO completely... not that I ever played it or care, but it always rubs me the wrong way when a game is just removed. especially since people bought CSGO at some point before it went F2P
I'm not a Mac user myself but it is indeed a shame they left them in the mud by not having CS2 ready with a Mac version straight away.

But CS2 was always going to be an engine upgrade to CSGO so there's no chance CSGO would ever be available separately when both CSGO and CS2 are aiming to offer the exact same thing. It would probably be better to delay the release a bit but they did announce a summer launch so maybe they felt the pressure to get it out, even if it was in the nick of time.

Reactions: PC-tan and LEANIJA

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I wanted to buy/re buy Kingpin, Sin, Vampire The Masquerade, Arcanum on Gog in order to play them with Dosbox Gaum with scanlines.
Then I worked my brain (it hurt) and thought about the fact that they aren’t DOS games so my entire plan is out the window.

I’m annoyed. I love scanlines, I have some unfinished business with some early 3d games. I have no solution that doesn’t require spending hours on youtube / very specialized forums.

I have some exotic words as leads, not sure they will amount to anything. Nglide, dgvoodoo2, pcem.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
CSGO is available in a beta branch for CS2. Valve allows players to host public and private online servers as well as LAN servers for the game. It can still be played. They just don't offer official matchmaking for it anymore because they naturally want people to move on to the new one. They don't want to support a deprecated version of the software and they don't want to split the playerbase between the old game and an updated version of the same game. They've made that mistake before. CS Source never took off because the community basically refused to let go of CS 1.6 back in the day. CSGO was in a pretty dire state at launch and could have met with the same fate if it's predecessor had been more popular and Valve hadn't taken control of development and eventually released the Arms deal update.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wanted to buy/re buy Kingpin, Sin, Vampire The Masquerade, Arcanum on Gog in order to play them with Dosbox Gaum with scanlines.
Then I worked my brain (it hurt) and thought about the fact that they aren’t DOS games so my entire plan is out the window.

I’m annoyed. I love scanlines, I have some unfinished business with some early 3d games. I have no solution that doesn’t require spending hours on youtube / very specialized forums.

i gotchu, fam:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I already tried that one, can't remember what went wrong. I suppose trying it on Arcanum didn't help, as it's a small miracle Arcanum is even running at all :p
Thank you, will retry !

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Looks like we no longer need to act
if we want to live in a different world

Reactions: lashman
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I don't remember this, did Steam limit data scraping before or after Sergiy joined Epic?

btw, thanks for the thread!
after GDPR went up, that was after some time Sergiy joined Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.