Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I may soon need something else than Boomer Shooters to satiate my gaming needs. After chaining several back to back I may be near burnout. What genre or games can you think of that would serve some immediate gameplay gratification, be short or medium length and with minimal prose ?
I can see platformers but it’s a little early for Mario Wonders.

PS. No pure arcade games, either.
Some that I've used for a little mindless fun to chill out after some burnout, or to help avoid it, has been Vampire Survivor-likes and twin stick shooters. Relic Hunters Legend just hit early access and is worth giving a look if you want to try a new twin stick.

Logiart Grimoire is another I've been spending some time with for that reason too. If you're a Picross fan or have always wanted to try one I highly recommend it.

They're all perfect for short bursts if you just want to take a break from something before jumping back in too.

• Comfy
  • Hug
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Electric stoves are increasing in use and there was a big hubbub about regulation on gas stoves. So the gas industry is getting pissy.

I will admit there is nothing better than a tortilla heated over an open flame, but honestly I can do without it, especially if it means I get to piss off the gas lobbyists and executives.:coffee-blob:
Maybe electric stoves have changed over the years, but when ever I think of an electric stove it's a flat surface that just gets hot over time. And if that is the case that would prove and issue especially with Hispanic millennials but like you said how are you going to get a tortilla a certain way? There is just something about an open flame that you sometimes need.

• This!
Reactions: PhaZZe

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any ImSims out there where the player controls a party of characters rather than the traditional solo lone-wolf protagonist style?

EDIT: I just remembered that Weird West exists - Ahem, first-person ImSims.

EDIT2: Guess I'll play that now instead of letting it continue to rot in the backlog.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I will admit there is nothing better than a tortilla heated over an open flame
Pizza, too. I cherish the memories because for fuck's sake, no one do open flame pizza anymore. Well, not exactly open flame, more like oven cooked pizza with wood as fuel. It's not even 6am, I can only go so far.

Logiart Grimoire is another I've been spending some time with for that reason too. If you're a Picross fan or have always wanted to try one I highly recommend it.
I'm wracking my brain over the last regular puzzle of Picross S2 right this instant :coffee-blob:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I just read the first chapter of Kagurabachi since I have heard about the memes and just wow. It really is generic and doesn't have much going for it.

To be fair it is a shonen manga and the bar is relatively low and there are a number of series that can very easily get cancelled after just 3 or so volumes.

It spoon feeds you exposition.

I do feel bad about the mangaka because it does seem like he is under the impression that it's popular, when in reality it's being clowned on. Like what happens to Morbius, hey just trust me it's very good just go and read watch it. They released the movie just for that and nobody still went to go watch it.

The dads design in this manga is okay, the MC is rather meh. I have this scar to remind me of what they did (even though I could get it fixed) when ever I look at my self in the mirror every morning.

There were at least maybe 4-5 panels out of all the first chapter that I actually liked and thought they were well composed, but that's really about it.

Maybe I will find something about it that I actually like. I have read a number of webtoons recently and some of them are bad and I find something in them that I like and stuff try to read it just for that.

Also are there currently any good Shojou manga that are currently being published right now? Since some of those do tend to try new things in story telling.

I also just only learned that Break Blade has still been published and was not cancelled/abandoned. So I'm 20+ chapter behind on that series since I have not read it since 2017 or so.

Reactions: thekeats1999

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I may soon need something else than Boomer Shooters to satiate my gaming needs. After chaining several back to back I may be near burnout. What genre or games can you think of that would serve some immediate gameplay gratification, be short or medium length and with minimal prose ?
I can see platformers but it’s a little early for Mario Wonders.

PS. No pure arcade games, either.
Have you played any of Knucklecracker's games? Creeper World 3 or 4, particle fleet?

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
the American Gas Association also asked some influencers to flaunt their gas stoves with the goal of targeting “hispanic millennials,” “design enthusiasts,” “promising families,” and “young city solos.”

I don't even know what any of that means. Do people not use gas powered stoves to cook food? Or does everyone just only use a microwave and order take out and eat "raw" foods or something?

That whole thing about Shell is pretty dumb. Let's go out and promote our stuff to young people. Which young people you mean 18-20 years olds? Do you think they have enough disposable in come to go to a shell gas station? I live in California and the price for shell gas can range from $6.00-$7.00 per gallon!!!!!!!!!!! It's just insane. Sorry for those in EU I'm not sure how much that is per liter in Petrol.
Electric stoves are increasing in use and there was a big hubbub about regulation on gas stoves. So the gas industry is getting pissy.

I will admit there is nothing better than a tortilla heated over an open flame, but honestly I can do without it, especially if it means I get to piss off the gas lobbyists and executives.:coffee-blob:
Maybe electric stoves have changed over the years, but when ever I think of an electric stove it's a flat surface that just gets hot over time. And if that is the case that would prove and issue especially with Hispanic millennials but like you said how are you going to get a tortilla a certain way? There is just something about an open flame that you sometimes need.
It recently came to light (in the US, anyway) that the air pollution from using natural gas stoves is similar to second hand smoke, which is a pretty harshly viewed thing in our younger generations (the anti-smoking push in US from 80s-90s was VERY effective). In addition, electric stoves actually used to be the default - gas companies, shockingly, advertised and pushed gas stoves as some kind of superior version even though the sentiment early on was that they were worse than electric (and in a lot of ways, they really are compared to electric, especially modern electric, if you know the differences).

After the study was released, regulators said they were going to investigate this, which instantly turned into a culture war thing for right-wingers turning it into things like "they'll take our gas stoves from our cold, dead hands" and things like that. It's of course expected for US right wing to go contrary to any regulation talk, but also they're already heavily financed by gas companies so yea.

So the companies are trying to target youth to try and prevent the anti-gas sentiment from spreading, presumably. It should be noted that while stoves, due to their use and placement, are the often the biggest air pollutant in the house, other gas appliances like furnaces and water heaters still contribute. On top of that, with solar power becoming very easy to get, and gas still being actually dangerous technically, it's more than likely on the way out. Of course a lot of the targeting youth is kinda moot anyway since basically every generation here from millennial onward has significantly less spending power or decision making ability for that kind of thing given the severe wealth theft - back when gas appliances were first pushed, it was when families with 1 working adult (well, probably working adult white man in most areas) could afford to just buy random appliances with some spending money.

Personally, having cooked with electric and gas, I've always preferred electric - it's extremely easy to control and be consistent with, and gives a more even spread of heat for pans which is great for soups / sauces like I like to make. I'm getting solar on my house this year (hopefully) and so the next big home overhaul would be to de-gas my place but that's only if we don't move before that becomes practical.

99 Percent Invisible had an episode recently talking about this since it had been in the news, and since in the modern day the whole gas stove being default / superior had taken hold, they looked at the history of it, the written article covers it in brief but the whole episode isn't too long and is enlightening.

Edit: Just to add, one reason I paid attention to this is 3 out of my 4 grandparents died to cancer presumably related to smoking, and there is a history of asthma in my family (my dad had severe cases, I had to be hospitalized multiple times as an infant but grew out of the worst of it). Exposing yourself to this kind of pollution on the regular, especially with so few homes (and apartments) having actual stove ventilation, is a legitimate health concern. The comparison to second hand smoke is useful because if you cook for 30 minutes you can compare that to having someone smoking behind you for 30 minutes - it's not fucking great.

I'm not gonna try to ban everyone from having gas but it absolutely should be taken seriously, since up until recently like leaded gasoline it was ignored as a hazard and lead to so many health issues. Unlike leaded gas, at least, it's a more local scale health issue but it does add up when the default is gas for appliances.

Last edited:

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Been hooked on Genshin 4.1 but before that released I managed to beat Yakuza 4 and it was good. It's so weird going into these games from Y0 and the Kiwami games and seeing all the stuff that's being reused. Expect to see a lot more of that in Y5 and Y6.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I know the series by name only. Not even sure how it plays :anguished-face:
It's a very unique tower defense...

you're basically battling against the creeper, which is represented as a sea of purple goo. The way the creeper moves is based on thermodynamics and fluid dynamics principles.

In concrete terms, your base spawns somewhere on the map and it can only produce a tiny bit of energy. To produce energy you need to build towers which use the surrounding terrain to draw energy... since they produce very little energy and only cover a tiny area around them, you need to expand considerably and build an interconnected network of towers in order to occupy a large surface and produce a ton of energy.
Energy can then be used to power up turrets, mortars, shields, planes, etc.
And because the creeper is being constantly emitted/produced, you're basically Moses parting the sea of purple goo. You move your army of units to free some land, you expand your infrastructure and then you move your units again, etc. You're constantly chipping away at the amorphous enemy surrounding you.
Note: I've glossed over a ton of features (units, resource types, enemy types, etc)

It's a war of attrition mixed with network building and "resource management" (in heavy quotes).

It's a thoroughly unique experience and any new game by the dev is an instabuy in my book.

Particle fleet is a very different game but also one I'd rate 10/10.

I'd suggest starting with Creeper World 3 (in 2d), then either play 4 (in 3d) or particle fleet. If you crave for more you can then play CW2 and then keep CW1 for last.

Here's a trailer for CW4

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Lmao that's a solution alright. :flare_lmao:

That's particularly silly considering that VP9 is a royalty-free codec and you can therefore simply distribute the open source decoder with your software. (In fact, that's what we do with literally all PH3 releases)
IMHO it's not even easier to use MS' APIs, even if you were to ignore the increased potential for compatibility issues and system-dependent bugs.

Also, Sousou no Frieren is fantastic.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The epic layoffs, galyonkin fired/leaving, tony hawk finally coming to steam, another supposedly permanent exclusive coming to steam (ooblets)... it does feel like EGS is on its last legs. 🤞

It's obviously just me seeing patterns where there may be none, but a man can dream.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Nice. Demon Turf was in the March Humble Choice. I forgot to redeem mine.

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.