Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I don't remember this, did Steam limit data scraping before or after Sergiy joined Epic?

btw, thanks for the thread!
after GDPR went up, that was after some time Sergiy joined Epic.
Steam did not actually change anything about its API or web pages, rather, the default setting for all users was set to Private, when it was Public before. This of course killed SteamSpy overnight, as it needed a large and representative sample size of publicly accessible accounts to accurately predict sales numbers.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Steam did not actually change anything about its API or web pages, rather, the default setting for all users was set to Private, when it was Public before. This of course killed SteamSpy overnight, as it needed a large and representative sample size of publicly accessible accounts to accurately predict sales numbers.
Sergiy is still getting almost $10K per month.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Just checked out the Patreon. Wonder who those 700 people are. Maybe some gaming analysts who think it's still worth paying for it?
From what I've heard it's mostly indie developers who can't justify paying professional analysts, so it's a rather small fee for getting valuable information about the market they're gonna release their game in.

One of his Patreon tiers is called "Indie" so I'm guessing he's aware of it too.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
And yes here it's like you said some games are uncensored on Steam and censored on Switch. That's why I think Steam and Nintendo Switch are the best combo for the people who like indies.
F.e. Seven Pirates H was banned on Steam, but can be found on Switch (and well-known Ecchi PC Stores)
Is there any proof they Seven Pirates H was banned from Steam (and is it even on other stores? I can't find anything about it)? Because I've never heard of it and even though I don't doubt that it would be banned, the publisher EastAsiaSoft isn't really a PC publisher so I just don't think there ever was a plan to release it on PC.

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
What will the Epic Game Store do without its invaluable Steam Spy data! :face-screaming-in-fear:

In all seriousness, it was annoying when Valve started to default to private data, there were articles going around like this

And adding to the list of things Sergiy was publicly ridiculing Valve over at the time and come to find out he was literally working with a competitor behind the scenes...

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
He saw the sinking ship and left. By sinking ship I'm not talking about Epic but rather EGS and how I would imagine that a lot of things related to it will be getting axed. So no major changes and it will mainly remain the same.
It's more like that Epic is going full ahead with Fortnite as metaverse platform and it will possibly try to integrate Epic Store and Epic published games into it.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
technically this is wrong, the API was sligthly changed later, specifically API achievement data stopped providing data with 16 digits of precision which was needed for the new estimate method that came after the GPDR made profiles go private by default.

I know I know crossing Ts and dotting Is and being pedantic...

but TECHNICALLY...

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It's more like that Epic is going full ahead with Fortnite as metaverse platform and it will possibly try to integrate Epic Store and Epic published games into it.

Here's your metaverse.

What will the Epic Game Store do without its invaluable Steam Spy data! :face-screaming-in-fear:

In all seriousness, it was annoying when Valve started to default to private data, there were articles going around like this

And adding to the list of things Sergiy was publicly ridiculing Valve over at the time and come to find out he was literally working with a competitor behind the scenes...

And now Fortnite is down to ~2.5 million while Steam is up to ~9.5 million in game and ~30 million in client.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Not only Epic published games. EGS, EOS and all efforts to launch EGS on mobile are meant to lock 3rd party devs and publishers in Epic's Metaverse as well. I can't be more happy that they failed hard (although UE and/or EOS integration in so many recent games is still worrying)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I saw a lewd game on Steam. One of the characters in said lewd game looked like Ashley from RE4. She was used as the main character to promote the game. I looked more into it and of the characters is called Ada and even sort of looks like her.

It was like this for a few days and it's only been in the last day or so that the dev changed the image to other third girl that doesn't look like she is some anything resident evil.

I thought that was funny.

And now Fortnite is down to ~2.5 million while Steam is up to ~9.5 million in game and ~30 million in client.
That seems like a dumb comparison. I would imagine that 8.3 million peak across all platforms and not just PC right? Or was Fortnite that huge in 2018 that 8.3 million were playing on PC and you had like 30+ million playing on PlayStation alone (after all Epic said PS was their biggest money maker)

Last edited:
Reactions: ExistentialThought

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I saw a lewd game on Steam. One of the characters in said lewd game looked like Ashley from RE4. She was used as the main character to promote the game. I looked more into it and of the characters is called Ada and even sort of looks like her.

It was like this for a few days and it's only been in the last day or so that the dev changed the image to other third girl that doesn't look like she is some anything resident evil.
Office is my Harem if anyone's curious

• Bonk
Reactions: PC-tan

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
The only thing that annoys me about the EGS dying is that Remedy will most likely not see a cent for AW2, just like AWR didn't generate a cent in revenue either, and this is obviously going to hurt the company in the end. It's like Timmy's final fuck you to all

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

Wait so you're saying that when Sergey joined Epic Fortnite had 8 million CCU and Steam had only 5 million.

And when he's leaving Fortnite is down to 2 million and Steam went up to 10 million?

So... he oversaw the decline of Fortnite? Was he a double agent? A... Steam spy... all along?

Bask in the glory of my incredible wit

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Wait so you're saying that when Sergey joined Epic Fortnite had 8 million CCU and Steam had only 5 million.

And when he's leaving Fortnite is down to 2 million and Steam went up to 10 million?

So... he oversaw the decline of Fortnite? Was he a double agent? A... Steam spy... all along?
I liked the spin you put on that, doctor.

I'll show myself out now.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Late, but thanks for the thread Mor !
Packed month but I don't have time for any of the new releases, really.

Suprised we haven't gotten a leak for tomorrow's Hamble yet :thinking-face: (Or maybe I just look in the wrong places).

• Love
Reactions: Rin and Mor

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Today was one of those days... a monday! (gasp!) I put my phone under the coffee machine, and my cup on the charger lmao.

But there is some good news. I'm still getting my raise mid-october, and my pay dispute is settled. I'll even get my earned back-pay, thank goodness. :longswordblob:So I should be able to pick up MGS collection this month after all! You know, barring a meteorite barreling towards me one night.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Funnily enough, my pay dispute got settled recently. So at the end of this month I have a pay raise from my old job backdated to June, plus the increase from my new job.

If Valve announced a VR headset right about now…

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Here's your metaverse.

I know that's old as shit now but that number isn't super impressive if you start dividing it up to: Playstaion, XBOX, PC, Mobile, Nintendo vs Steam (just PC)

You would sort of think that they would have had bigger numbers lol but I guess not

In the context of when it was literally nothing but OMG OMG FORTNITE everywhere in toys and media and we had the guy doing fortnite new years and all of that and there was kids doing all the dances and people were suing each other for stealing dances kind of stuff. It was like hitting peak fortnite.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
For some reason the mobile web browser decide to post indtead of Just scrolling through the thread.

In any case, galyonkin getting out seems like a rat leaving ship before it completely sinks

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I know that's old as shit now but that number isn't super impressive if you start dividing it up to: Playstaion, XBOX, PC, Mobile, Nintendo vs Steam (just PC)

You would sort of think that they would have had bigger numbers lol but I guess not

In the context of when it was literally nothing but OMG OMG FORTNITE everywhere in toys and media and we had the guy doing fortnite new years and all of that and there was kids doing all the dances and people were suing each other for stealing dances kind of stuff. It was like hitting peak fortnite.
Yeah it was disingenuous comparing multiple platforms to one. The all time peak was 15 million for a live event in December 2020. Based on a document from the Apple trial, Fortnite PC was at around 650k CCU in February 2020. My own personal guess is today Fortnite PC is probably around Dota 2 levels (i.e. 600k-700k CCU) and was probably doing 1.5-2 million during its peak.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Page 2 is shit, don’t do page 2 boys and girls. I have too many quotes that will make for a boring post.

That said. Puddinggggggg ! :cat-heart-blob:

Realms Deep was packed, 3:40 of games ! Incredible ! Unfortunate that I didn’t find anything catching my eyes, but at the same time this is a type of games that tends to naturally grow out of word of mouth if they are good. Not exactly fascinating to watch in a trailer.

I still noted Caliph something, Isles of the Caliph ? And evidently Cultic interlude.

As for already released games, I’m intrigued by Eggwife, and Postal Brain Damaged.
Is the Postal series good ? Are there good or bad episodes ? I always avoided it, thinking it was bottom of the barrel.
Li Kao! :cat-heart-blob:

Haha it's good to see everyone again. I really need to start posting more often.

Your post also reminded me that I need to go back and watch the vod for Realms Deep since I couldn't catch it live.

As for Postal, 2 was considered the high point for the series with the latter ones being mostly awful from what I've heard with the exception maybe being Brain Damaged, but even still it's a not a series I can recommend these days and there might be a specific reason why Brain Damaged has reviewed so well among certain groups. Running With Scissors has really shown their asses over the past several years, to put it lightly, and seem to pride themselves on being offensive and juvenile to garner support from those aforementioned groups.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
PossiblyPudding Good to know ! Like I said, I always avoided the series like a plague, just on the basis that you kill civilians, piss, throw out etc. Seemed like peak nihilist edginess. I think I played a couple of minutes of the demo from 2 and was dumbfounded.
But yeah, I saw the trailer for Brain Damaged frequently these last few days and the shooting seemed decent, so I was intrigued and wondered if I wasn't being unfair.

Let me also repeat myself, you are missed here.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
RPGSite interview.
RPG Site: There has been a lot of discussions about localization in video games over the last few years. Many people in the industry have shared their insight in how localization differs from a 1:1 direct translation and how the localization process has evolved over time. What has the localization process been like for TSUKIHIME: -A piece of blue glass moon-? At what point did you learn it was going to be receiving an English localization and what were your reactions in learning that?

Albert: The localization process for TSUKIHIME is to preserve the writer’s intent and context in language the target audience will understand and feel is natural. So we spent more time on editing in the localization process than anywhere else to achieve just that. When we found out about the project the team was absolutely ecstatic about it. Perhaps one of the most impactful titles ever, and after two decades, we finally have a chance to bring it to Western audiences.
Sadly, Albert is only talking in general terms here, but it's going to be interesting to see the changes from the fan translation's localisation choices to the official one. Tsukihimates created a glossary of the terminology used in Tsukihime, and these have been consistency-checked with other T-M titles which uses the same terminology.

(Major spoilers for Tsukihime) Tsukihimates Glossary

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
the American Gas Association also asked some influencers to flaunt their gas stoves with the goal of targeting “hispanic millennials,” “design enthusiasts,” “promising families,” and “young city solos.”

I don't even know what any of that means. Do people not use gas powered stoves to cook food? Or does everyone just only use a microwave and order take out and eat "raw" foods or something?

That whole thing about Shell is pretty dumb. Let's go out and promote our stuff to young people. Which young people you mean 18-20 years olds? Do you think they have enough disposable in come to go to a shell gas station? I live in California and the price for shell gas can range from $6.00-$7.00 per gallon!!!!!!!!!!! It's just insane. Sorry for those in EU I'm not sure how much that is per liter in Petrol.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I may soon need something else than Boomer Shooters to satiate my gaming needs. After chaining several back to back I may be near burnout. What genre or games can you think of that would serve some immediate gameplay gratification, be short or medium length and with minimal prose ?
I can see platformers but it’s a little early for Mario Wonders.

PS. No pure arcade games, either.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
the American Gas Association also asked some influencers to flaunt their gas stoves with the goal of targeting “hispanic millennials,” “design enthusiasts,” “promising families,” and “young city solos.”

I don't even know what any of that means. Do people not use gas powered stoves to cook food? Or does everyone just only use a microwave and order take out and eat "raw" foods or something?
Electric stoves are increasing in use and there was a big hubbub about regulation on gas stoves. So the gas industry is getting pissy.

I will admit there is nothing better than a tortilla heated over an open flame, but honestly I can do without it, especially if it means I get to piss off the gas lobbyists and executives.:coffee-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.