Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
There's a really odd bug in Spyro that I do not understand.

In Alpine Ridge some events aren't triggered unless you're playing at 30 fps. For them to trigger you don't even have to quit the game, you just need to change the FPS to 30, do the required thing, and then revert it back to 60 or unlimited.

Why? Why would a trigger volume's behavior be tied to the frame rate? Or any event, for that matter.

...maybe they number each frame in a given second... and when you play at 30 fps only odd-numbered frames are displayed and those events are only triggered on even-numbered frames... yup. That's most definitely it...

I don't get it. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that somehow the fps limiter is tied to some other other variable that causes this...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Maybe at 60 fps you travel past the trigger before it registers? Do the events have a similar trigger type?
Usually 60 fps will mess with the physics or a frame-counter if the game doesn't take that into consideration.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Maybe at 60 fps you travel past the trigger before it registers? Do the events have a similar trigger type?
Usually 60 fps will mess with the physics or a frame-counter if the game doesn't take that into consideration.
Hmmm... I don't think that's it. I went back and forth a million times and it didn't do anything...

I'll try to be less vague: In that level you have Wizards that can "morph" parts of the level... and they don't do anything unless you're in a specific spot. As soon as you are they start casting spells which basically switch some level element between two states (e.g., "magic door raised" - "magic door lowered").
At 60+ I just see the Wizard doing his animation without the level being affected... As soon as I switch to 30 fps, everything triggers properly without even needing to move Spyro around.

And oddly enough only two of those Wizards are affected by this bug! The other ones work fine...
I'm not the only one, by the way... other players are reporting this issue in the Steam forums.

Weird.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
There's a really odd bug in Spyro that I do not understand.

In Alpine Ridge some events aren't triggered unless you're playing at 30 fps. For them to trigger you don't even have to quit the game, you just need to change the FPS to 30, do the required thing, and then revert it back to 60 or unlimited.

Why? Why would a trigger volume's behavior be tied to the frame rate? Or any event, for that matter.

...maybe they number each frame in a given second... and when you play at 30 fps only odd-numbered frames are displayed and those events are only triggered on even-numbered frames... yup. That's most definitely it...

I don't get it. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that somehow the fps limiter is tied to some other other variable that causes this...
I just completet that mission and haven't experienced any issues

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
The guy who keeps hopping in my Black Ops games with weird sermons won't stop. Now he's dropping weird homophobic sermons, extra messed up stuff (I wasn't able to record that part). How do you have a cell of black ops mic spam accounts, how much does that even cost?
he gets kicked for idling at the end of the game, then pops right back into the lobby, and ends up on my team again :)

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
What, so Ikumi Nakamura, the Creative Director on that latest Tango and Zenimax title that was presented at E3 (GhostWire: Tokyo), is looking for a job? :unsure:

Not to be too tinfoil but either GhostWire got canned and her with it, or suits were trying to add shit to the game that she didn't want. I can't see why else she'd have left.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

The guy who keeps hopping in my Black Ops games with weird sermons won't stop. Now he's dropping weird homophobic sermons, extra messed up stuff (I wasn't able to record that part). How do you have a cell of black ops mic spam accounts, how much does that even cost?
he gets kicked for idling at the end of the game, then pops right back into the lobby, and ends up on my team again :)
That sounds nuts. Please tell me it's a recording, and not a guy actually going through that sermon every time. o_O

Reactions: Nabs

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Pre-order Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ Remastered digitally and receive a Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ Remastered wallpaper.
One whole wallpaper? ....

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Yeah it's just a recording, I think this is from 2014. I think they have it all automated. This is all so annoying.
That would make good background audio for The Church In The Darkness. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's scary the lengths to which some religions/cults go to "brainwash" people. :eek:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I just completet that mission and haven't experienced any issues
Hmm... Do you have a VR headset and SteamVR installed? I do, and SteamVR's window always pops up whenever I run the game...
Maybe there's a link.... maybe Unreal Engine detects that SteamVR is present and some additional VR stuff that screws things up is instanced only if a compatible refresh rate (>= 60) is selected.

Anyway, I just noticed something cool... the music is somewhat dynamic! For instance, whenever you run, bongos are added to the music track.

Oh and fuck Tree Tops. It took me an inordinate amount of time to 100% the level... and it's just the billionth time I play Spyro 1.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Not until Xenoblade Chronicles X and Mario 3D World releases on Switch.

Im lucky as Ive already finished both Xenoblade X and 3D World on my Wii U. Both great games.
OMGGGGGG

Edit: The first Xenoblade for Switch!
See? :p

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
They announced the first Xenoblade for Switch, not X. ;)

So until X, Prime Trilogy and Mario 3D World is on Switch, the WiiU stays.

Anyways, Ive already finished the first Xenoblade on my Wii U (it's available digital on WiiU), it's a long game, so Im not playing through it a second time.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't have a Switch and that Direct was hype. Nice mix of ports, new announcements some of which are bound to be multiplatform and some exclusives,

Tons of good stuff coming to the system overall. Not that it seemed starved or anything previously, heh.

Other cool bits here and there like Original Sin 2 having cross compatible cloud saves with the Steam version of all things. Did the other consoles get that?

Status
Not open for further replies.