Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
"iT eLeVaTeD tHe MeDiUM!"
"X" hAs NeVeR bEeN dOnE bEfOrE!"

(It didn't elevate anything.)
(Everything in TLOU has been done before.)

Ryoko = Me
Mako = Everyone else

:rolleyes:
Nier Automata which I still havent finished btw, elevates the medium more than every single Sony first party exclusive.

Tlou is like, zombies bad but whispers humans are worse. Deep huh?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Localize it konami you cowards
So that they can nickel and dime you to death with hundreds of $5 packs of 3 songs, which they will remove from servers in a few years anyway?
(Looking at you Reflec Beat plus and Jubeat plus).

Reactions: 「Echo」

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Oh, Yokai Watch 4 confirmed for PS4, would be nice if for the Western release they added a PC version too, right? I'm curious about the IP but not that interested to buy it on consoles. if they release it on PC I will play it.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
So Monster Hunter World is on sale, but I cant see when the sale ends?
I'm on holiday till the 18th and cant see the point in buying it before I get home

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My mind can not begin to fathom such an opinion.
It's 700$ for a phone. :fearful-face:
The only singular items i ever bought that were this expensive were cars, motorcycles and mopeds.
My last smart phone is a Galaxy A5 for 250$.
700$ is so much money :sweaty-blob:
You spent less than 700$ on your PC?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Not as a Sony exclusive, so they have a point. Sony exclusive are separate from the rest of the medium, more deserving of attention, after all, Sony paid for them. That alone makes them pieces of art. Being a halfway decent game is just icing on the cake.
(I'm not actually serious, I kinda like most of their exclusive stuff, but have never gotten the insane hype around them)

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
You spent less than 700$ on your PC?
I did. I spent slightly less than 500€ for my PC (excluding the screen, the speakers, and a RAM upgrade done a few years later). I already had a Windows license, which I got for free thanks to university.

All included, I think the bill should amount to 750€, but the good thing about the screen and the speakers is that they are re-usable, so one does not need to hand the money over at the same time as the purchase of the PC.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I did. I spent slightly less than 500€ for my PC (excluding the screen, the speakers, and a RAM upgrade done a few years later).

All included, I think the bill should amount to 750€, but the good thing about the screen and the speakers is that they are re-usable, so one does not need to hand the money over at the same time as the purchase of the PC.
That's cheap!
What GPU you got? Tends to be the biggest price point

Reactions: Wok

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
What GPU you got? Tends to be the biggest price point
It won't make you dream at night: AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1GB VRAM. The purchase was in 2013, but it is still fine for my gaming habits.

With the release of Stadia's free plan next year, I might not need to upgrade at all.
The only demanding game which might interest me is Cyberpunk 2077 and it will be available on Stadia.

That being said, if I wanted to purchase a new PC now (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + 16 GB DDR4 RAM + GeForce GTX 1660 with 6 GB VRAM), I believe that I would need to spend about 900€, so about twice the price which I paid in 2013. I don't know what happened, but PC gaming was cheaper back then.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It won't make you dream at night: AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1GB VRAM. The purchase was in 2013, but it is still fine for my gaming habits.

With the release of Stadia's free plan next year, I might not need to upgrade at all.
The only demanding game which might interest me is Cyberpunk 2077 and it will be available on Stadia.

That being said, if I wanted to purchase a new PC now (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + 16 GB DDR4 RAM + GeForce GTX 1660 with 6 GB VRAM), I believe that I would need to spend about 900€, so about twice the price which I paid in 2013. I don't know what happened, but PC gaming was cheaper back then.
Yeah, for sure, prices increased quite a lot since 2012. I spend around 950€ for my PC in 2012, and spend around 400 something on a GTX 970 in 2015. Eyeing a totally new PC and the most sensible upgrade (compared to my current one) seems like 1500€ easily, and closer to 2000€ for something that would probably give more head room over the next gen. :pensive-face:

Reactions: Wok

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
What do you mean did they say something?
Nah, they didn't re-up their Steam page yet despite all the signs pointing at the game being lost and forgotten on EGS.

In other news, from now on, I'm a proud owner of the masterpiece that is The Quiet Man! I don't even know how to congratulate myself.
I challenge you with my laptop's 6850M, still plays most of the games with official 2gb minimal specs.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Played and finished AREA 4643 .

Fun little top down shooter. Game play is just normal twin stick shooter with a melee attack and bomb/super arts ability. Has bullet hell type spray patterns that aren't too crazy but can be unfair in some the tight corridors they put you in. Luckily it isn't a one hit kill type of game and there are plenty of health on nearby crates. I liked the game sounds but the music isn't anything special. Controls are responsive. Story is nonsensical but it seems to be based on a property called "Ninja Slayer" which I'm unfamiliar with so maybe that's why everything is weird in it. Writing included.

Really like the style of the game. Has five stages and I was able to beat it in an hour. Short game but enjoyable. Cool game to get on sale.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Time for sleep, I had a good day off. The new R6 Season is really good, I like the new map rework and both new operators are cool.

=======

Bittersweet thought.

FFVIIR looks great no doubt about it. I'm happy for FFVII fans, and it's not my favorite but I'm super excited too.

... however it kinda hurts to know that FFVI will never get the same treatment? Like imagine the Opera segment with modern tech and the FFVI OST recorded by an Orchestra like FFXV's?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I dont consider a pc to be a single item. At least I never bought it as one. I think the most expensive part was the 970 at 450€
I did with my first PC, but even for newer ones I still ultimately think of it as one initial purchase, plus later upgrades
(btw, is it just me or is the "bold" button on Meta broken? If I try to make a selection in a quoted text bold, it also makes my entire post beneath the quote bold)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, Top 3 annoying internet things :
  • EU might have good intentions, but the handling of consent giving on every site is a godawful mess
  • Browser repositioning to a certain post when refreshing, happens on multiple forums, kill it with fire, naow
  • Youtube defaulting to the lowest res on ipad and blocking 1080p, and if your fingers are not thin as a stylus, good luck not fast forwarding to the end of the video
  • Bold format in Meta

I lied, it's a Top 4 :cold-sweat:

Last edited:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I dont consider a pc to be a single item. At least I never bought it as one. I think the most expensive part was the 970 at 450€
My 3.5G brethren, how do you find our VGA perform these days?

PS: this site and that other site is really laggy on mobile.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's kind of laggy in Firefox Desktop as well but i assumed that was something to do with our Network Team doing "stuff".

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
(btw, is it just me or is the "bold" button on Meta broken? If I try to make a selection in a quoted text bold, it also makes my entire post beneath the quote bold)
Oh, i meant to mention that, yes. I get the same issue when i format any text as Bold.
It happens to me when I select the "Strike-through" option as well.
Bold format in Meta
huh ... you're right ... weird

maybe one of the addons' updates broke something ... nothing we can do but wait, i suppose

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
That looks less shit than what I expected, but at the same time it looks really unremarkable.
It seems it's still an early version of the game, full development has not yet been confirmed. The beta feedback will give them an indication if it has a chance to succeed.

Come on people, early information or videos about a game doesn't mean it will reflect exactly like the final product. It can also be applied to yakuza 7 as well. So much negativity in the comments...

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My 3.5G brethren, how do you find our VGA perform these days?
I'm playing Gears 4 on a GTX 970 right now, and it's super smooth. Gears 1 UE ultimate before it was running great too. And Spyro on mostly Ultra settings (I think?) really great too.
of course, I'm not playing any truly recent (2018 or newer) AAA games on it, and I'm still on 1080p. Plan to upgrade to WQHD for my next PC, and I'm sure I'll get a GPU with at least 8GB, that ought to be future proof enough (for that resolution, anyway)

Reactions: Cordelia

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I'm not feeling it :/ it looks like a regular ass JRPG with better production values. I would rather have something like Xenoblade
The combat reeeeally seems to drag down a lot. I hope this one is shorter because jeez.
Idk this looks faster than usual Yakuza random encounters to me but maybe I just suck at them.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I'm playing Gears 4 on a GTX 970 right now, and it's super smooth. Gears 1 UE ultimate before it was running great too. And Spyro on mostly Ultra settings (I think?) really great too.
of course, I'm not playing any truly recent (2018 or newer) AAA games on it, and I'm still on 1080p. Plan to upgrade to WQHD for my next PC, and I'm sure I'll get a GPU with at least 8GB, that ought to be future proof enough (for that resolution, anyway)
I played Control on 1080p with 900p render on all low and can get barely 60fps. Greedfall is quite good on 1080p, 60fps with a mix of medium and high setting. It has shown it's age but I think it can hold for another year.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have Astral Chain and a whole lot of good games waiting for me to start them.
...I kinda want to play Yooka Laylee and Starlink.

What is wrong with me ? :face-with-medical-mask:

Edit - Gonna down Grim Dawn Forgotten Gods today I think. Feels like I finished War & Peace.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Ryoko = Me
Mako = Everyone else

:rolleyes:
TLOU was an experience, I wouldn't say it elevated anything and didn't really think so at the time. I mean, anyone who had played The Walking Dead had seen some of this before. (A lot) Fantastic package overall, with some gameplay annoyances (like every Naught Dog game) but still a great game.

No Citizen Kane though. I don't even want a video game citizen kane. Now, GTAV.... that actually hit with some of the gravitas that GTAIV had attempted and failed to achieve, miserably.

Last edited:

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Since this came out today:

I figured I'd also post one of my favorite Spiderweb Software things:

I REALLY REALLY suggest watching it if you have an hour to spare and you want to get inside someones head who has navigated and survived the games industry since the 90s covering pretty much every topic
I don't think I ever played a game by Vogel but I've read a few of his blog posts and they're very well written. Plus it seems like he's pretty level-headed. Will watch this sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.