Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I personally heavily dislike what Epic is doing with exclusvity
Im personally still considering getting Control on EGS
I can't possibly understand this. 🤔

Anyway, I agree with your initial post that toxic behavior against people supporting EGS should not be tolerated here.

But I hope it's still okay to be openly disappointed about this matter. I mean, Epic is pushing pc gaming into a direction that I strongly dislike with their exclusivity deals. Anyone supporting Epic by buying these exclusives on their store actually helps them to achieve their goal. While it's not up to me to judge other people's decisions, I'm not gonna pretend I'm fine with this either.

Last edited:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
That's some bullshit.

:pirateblob:
It's not like it's their first time. Destiny 2 also has timed exclusive content on PS4.

Edit : I agree with just buy Nvidia RTX key for Control. You don't give money to Epic and you can just uninstall EGS Launcher after installing the game.

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Reminder, because I’m annoying, that getting cheap bundles codes on eBay is probably no different from pirating the game for the developers, since they get no money from that (or worse, because you might actually get the game at a later moment if you pirated and liked a game). So, if you want to support single player games, you should buy Control at full price from the Epic store.

Otherwise you support Epic and Epic only (because of what Monooboe said above).

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Reminder, because I’m annoying, that getting cheap bundles codes on eBay is probably no different from pirating the game for the developers, since they get no money from that (or worse, because you might actually get the game at a later moment if you pirated and liked a game). So, if you want to support single player games, you should buy Control at full price from the Epic store.

Is this how it works with the Nvidia codes too? I got mine from confirmed buyer so the code wasn't stolen or anything, but I'm not certain what kind of cut does Remedy get from them.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
¯\(ツ)/¯ Remedy made the deal with Epic and Nvidia. They got paid twice on PC, and decided they didn't want me buying it on Steam at full price.
Yep. World War Z also bundled with AMD GPUs, Motherboards and CPUs for months. Same with Division 2.

These devs chose to accept a check from corporations instead of steam community who buys and plays games everyday.

No one should feel guilty for sniping codes for good deals off ebay etc. You should always look for the best deals possible unless its really suspect shit like G2A.

I wonder whether we will have another EPIC MEGA SALE at the end of November.
I definitely expect more buy back programs from Sweeney this winter. Which is smart of them all things considered because its better to get these games into gamers libraries on EGS instead of just giving devs a check if sales expectations aren't met.

Its also very funny when devs refuse to participate during the sales :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: xinek and Ge0force

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

So buying a second hand physical games also count as piracy?
Is this how it works with the Nvidia codes too? I got mine from confirmed buyer so the code wasn't stolen or anything, but I'm not certain what kind of cut does Remedy get from them.
I think that Nvidia paid for a number of key to 505.

Reactions: Kuro

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I hate to be that guy but, if you are going to keep talking about business related to EGS, I would advice you to go to the specific thread as it would be a better place instead of a more general thread, like, do what you want, it's just an idea.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
So buying a second hand physical games also count as piracy?
No, but it doesn’t count as “supporting single player games”.

I remember reading several times in the past that second hand copies and piracy are pretty much the same money-wise for those who make games.

Obviously they’re different on many other levels but that’s not what I was referring to.

Which is perfectly fine tbh, you should buy games how you see fit, not because you want to support studios who already got money from various sources. (That’s my idea though, feel free to disagree)

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
No, but it doesn’t count as “supporting single player games”.

I remember reading several times in the past that second hand copies and piracy are pretty much the same money-wise for those who make games.

Obviously they’re different on many other levels but that’s not what I was referring to.

Which is perfectly fine tbh, you should buy games how you see fit, not because you want to support studios who already got money from various sources. (That’s my idea though, feel free to disagree)
So this is just a hypothetical question, not supporting piracy.

Why people hates piracy so much that even by mentioning it you can get punished but loves second hand physical games so much that it become one of the benefit of physical media. It's the same in game maker's eyes right? Is it about morality?
personally - i wonder what will be the first game to extend the egsclusivity period (for a few more bags of cash, naturally)
Ubisoft aside because they are pulling away from Steam, probably Annapurna.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Why people hates piracy so much that even by mentioning it you can get punished but loves second hand physical games so much that it become one of the benefit of physical media. It's the same in game maker's eyes right? Is it about morality?
Because everything is wrong unless I do it, in that case let me explain all the reasons why I do deserve to be given a pass.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of Control.
Does it have Ansel support? I don't know about this and I think it's a game that would benefit from this.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
So this is just a hypothetical question, not supporting piracy.

Ubisoft aside because they are pulling away from Steam, pobably Annapurna.
With physical media someone paid for every individual disc/module at least once and when that someone sells it he doesn't have access anymore. With digital piracy someone paid for one copy and now everyone on the internet can play the game simultaneously for free. So the overall damage is higher even if you (reasonably) don't count one copy as one lost sale. It's maybe like comparing me causing a deadly traffic accident with a few deaths vs me spreading some deadly disease and everyone turning into zombies. Ya. I like that comparison. It's great and no one can tell me otherwise. I still agree that the piracy scare is hugely exaggerated and gets used for all kinds of nonsense like discrediting emulation or dumb bans though.

Also sure, if for some reason someone wants to get Control the legit way those bundle keys are probably the best option. Especially considering their price has dropped to 10-15$ which is telling me that the mainstream either doesn't care about Control/Youngblood at all or the EGS hate runs even deeper than I could've hoped for. Probably both, as much as we whine about GaaS moneysinks these classic linear story-focused games (Wolf is still that depite coop, open levels and grind) have become a tough sell.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
personally - i wonder what will be the first game to extend the egsclusivity period (for a few more bags of cash, naturally)
Borderlands 3. Especially if it does really well on EGS I see them pushing it 3-6 more months.

They are gonna wanna avoid Cyberpunk in April anyways. 2 big FPS games on steam in one month so close to each other is a bad idea.

CDPR marketing is also too strong. That game has the potential to be the GTAV of this gen.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I can't possibly understand this. 🤔

Anyway, I agree with your initial post that toxic behavior against people supporting EGS should not be tolerated here.

But I hope it's still okay to be openly disappointed about this matter. I mean, Epic is pushing pc gaming into a direction that I strongly dislike with their exclusivity deals. Anyone supporting Epic by buying these exclusives on their store actually helps them to achieve their goal. While it's not up to me to judge other people's decisions, I'm not gonna pretend I'm fine with this either.
Well I heavily dislike paying for online on console, but I still do it (well, not gonna resub my PS Plus once it ends).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Totally missed that Locomalito (dev of freeware and commercial games/versions like Maldita Castilla, Hydorah, Curse of Issyos, Gaurodan, Verminest, and more) released another free game in June. It's called Darkula and is a fixed platform game that seems to combine elements of Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

Darkula is a frantic fixed platform game designed like a 1983 coin-op arcade. It mimic the technical specs of the time in terms of image and sound, but it goes further with a smooth playability and a scoring system carefully designed for local tournaments. Collect all the light bulbs to complete a level. Collect shining light bulbs consecutively to raise the challenge and earn a growing bonus. Be fast, don't miss the special object and be careful with the monsters around!
Look and feel of an arcade game from 1983.
Easy to learn, hard to master.
Scoring system designed for competitions and tournaments.
6 unique levels + bonus stages.
Control panel and arts for dedicated cabinets.

It may not get a commercial edition like some of his others given its more old school style (which he's used to great effect before) but it looks just as good!

Last edited:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I will take the dive and get it from a key selling site. Even if it ends up being mediocre I'll have rocked 17th century colonialism with my 3 woman power team.
I was going to do that originally, but CDkeys was only $2CAD cheaper than Steam, so I didn't bother.
My thoughts: noone should be afraid to post their thoughts/impressions/review regarding a game they have bought or being given on EGS. This is a PC centric forum and I personally heavily dislike what Epic is doing with exclusvity, but anyone should be able to discuss, let's say, Control here or Ancestors or whatever EGS game there is.

People can always ignore the posts. but attacking etc. users who posts thoughts on an EGS game they bought is not something I want to happen here.
I couldn't agree more.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Personally I would have bought Control on Steam out of curiousity about the RTX features. Now, by the time it releases on a platform that I don't refuse to support, I'm not sure if I'll still be interested.

Also, Fire Emblem Three Houses is starting to wear a bit thin. It's not like it doesn't have enough content to justify its length -- I might just generally prefer shorter games these days (most of the time at least).
Interestingly, just after that I reached "Part 2" of the game, and it mixed things up sufficiently that I was glued to it again. It could still be a bit shorter though.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Hey Durante, any news or teases from any of your company projects? long time without one, don't feel obligated to tell anything if you don't want to, it's just curiosity :cat-heart-blob:

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Nice, I've been looking for a good DAC + Headphones combo.
I've got an external DAC as well, an older TEAC model I got for around 250€ back in 2013. I pair it with the Sennheiser HD 650, I got them when they were around 300€ new.

I love the headphones, and the DAC is still working great. It's connected to my PC through an optic cable, mostly because the USB drivers don't always work properly, while the optic connection has never given me a single problem.
I was looking for an upgrade last year (sometimes, especially when I'm depressed at work, I get the urge to buy something), but to get a better sound I would have to buy something in the 800-1.000€ range and... nah :blobno:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Friendly reminder

Do the EGS talk here, please

Deleted member 113

Totally missed that Locomalito (dev of freeware and commercial games/versions like Maldita Castilla, Hydorah, Curse of Issyos, Gaurodan, Verminest, and more) released another free game in June. It's called Darkula and is a fixed platform game that seems to combine elements of Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.
I actually posted about it back in June, twice. :)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reading some Gears 5 early impressions and looks like MS is finally shaking up the franchise.

Longer campaign
non linear semi open world with exploring
side objectives
mild rpg and choice elements

The success of Horizon and God of War must have gotten Microsoft shook. Especially God of War since it also got the shake up with a very open world + side stuff.

I wonder if Halo Infinite will be open world with non linear objectives + maybe a Battle Royale mode.

Gears 4 was a decent game but you can definitely tell its still a 360 game at heart by design. The Coalition is very talented so I am glad they are being more ambitious. 5 should be good next week :D

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Gears 5 looks AMAZING, really want to play it.

I'm still wondering if we will get some kind of Gears Collection on PC like MCC for Halo.

Having all the games on PC would be amazing, you know.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah, the Curator's Cut of Man of Medan is pretty pointless =/

It's just so minor, it's only worth bothering with if you're already wanting to do another run to see the outcome of other choices I think.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yes please!

Gears 5 looks AMAZING, really want to play it.

I'm still wondering if we will get some kind of Gears Collection on PC like MCC for Halo.

Having all the games on PC would be amazing, you know.
it's why I keep putting off buying 4 on cdkeys for cheap, as I expect some kind of bundle to appear eventually on Steam. Until then, my free month(s) of Gamepass will do

Reactions: Mor

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Personally I would have bought Control on Steam out of curiousity about the RTX features. Now, by the time it releases on a platform that I don't refuse to support, I'm not sure if I'll still be interested.

Interestingly, just after that I reached "Part 2" of the game, and it mixed things up sufficiently that I was glued to it again. It could still be a bit shorter though.
The way I look at it these 2000 series cards are not really fit for RTX in terms of offering satisfactory performance. They remind me a lot of the gtx 400 cards which were the first to use DX11, but I had a 470 and if you turned DX11 on you were basically stuck at 30fps at best (not counting other issues like hitching or glitches). So maybe when Control hits steam there will be new cards out that can handle it a little better :p

As for Fire Emblem I agree it drags a bit though it depends on your house I guess. My golden deer run lasted about 4 or 5 more chapters than black eagle. What makes it drag I think is going around the monastery at least once a month which gets old once you unlock the whole thing. At least in part 2 most of the students are away and there's no more lost items to find so you can just do what you need to do and get out. I personally wish the battles were a bit more diverse and utilized more tactics like ambushing or other kinds of traps.

Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.