Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
So, what's the big deal with Cyberpunk not having third-person camera in cutscenes? Most immersive sims out there don't have it.
I had no idea that people cared so much about first or third person cutscenes. I'm okay with it, anyway, after all didn't expect to see 3rd person cutscenes on it since they said that it was a FPS game.

So just personally speaking, my problem with it is that if I never see my character why let me create them in the first place?

Like, I'm the type of person to spend hours in Character creation... and you're just never gonna let see my person? Why even give us the option then? Why waste money and dev resources? They coulda done just as well with a pre-made character AND saved money.
That's a valid point though. Guess I'll have to check myself out in the mirrors and whatnot.

Same, I did try Twilight Princess, because my brother bought it for the Wii, but I hated all the 20 minutes I gave it :blobweary:
I finished a TLoZ game, Oracle of Season I think, and tried both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. None of these really are my cup of tea and I don't imagine myself ever touching the series again.

Have to admit that I loved watching some TLoZ speedruns though.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I love immersive sims like Dishonored and Prey and I've always played the TES games in first person view, so if Cyberpunk is confirmed to be entirely in first person it won't be a deal breaker for me. Ideally, I'd prefer the Deus Ex approach, considering that there will be a lot of talking.

In any case, I hope for a photo mode / Ansel option that could at least let us take screenshots of our characters :peekphotoblob:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Pre-FPS announcement, Cyberpunk was my most anticipated game. An RPG that lets me play a non-set PC, in a cyberpunk setting, made by the Witcher 3 devs is a dream come true. I was pretty disappointed, because I just don't enjoy FP games. I find them weirdly disorienting, and can't play them for long stretches. I'm one of those weirdos who uses Bethesda's shitty third person cam when walking around the world and only switches to first-person when I have to. I'll still play Cyberpunk. Probably at launch even, assuming nothing else is foolish enough to come out that month. It's just not my dream game anymore and I'm not actively following it anymore.

Sidenote: The fact that Outer Worlds and Bloodlines 2 are also FP-only sucks also, as they are also dream game tier stuff. Obsidian is one of my favorite developers and Bloodlines 1 was one of my favorite games of all time(and I played it in horrible, janky, third person mode!). If Baldur's Gate 3 ends up being first-person I will officially give up on gaming.

Reactions: 「Echo」
Dec 5, 2018
I really don't mind FP games, my main issue with them is that things like low FOV/headbob/no reticule (that's why playing certain areas in Metro 2033 felt miserable to me, when you are in areas with people and no weapons mostly) make me motion sick.
So long as the game (or mods) has ways to modify that I'm golden.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
One update the Activity Feed needs IMO is that when a friend wishlists games, it the game(s) they wishlisted should appear as mini banners, or just be in the same situation as games one has bought.

Reactions: Wok

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Isometric RPGs is like my main genre, but we need more first person RPGs! We pretty much only have elder Scrolls and fallout.
You had the original Deus Ex or VtM:B that are much better games than any ES or FP Fallout ever were (and yes I'm also including NV). Also the System Shock series and more recently Prey, although I personally thought it's second half is abysmal.
Perhaps you can also consider Blobbers to fit in this category even though they are somewhat different.

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm disappointed that CP2077 is First Person only. But I hope that CDPR will deliver a Third Person option after launch with other supposedly cut content coming with the expansion packs.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You had the original Deus Ex or VtM:B that are much better games than any ES or FP Fallout ever were (and yes I'm also including NV). Also the System Shock series and more recently Prey, although I personally thought it's second half is abysmal.
Perhaps you can also consider Blobbers to fit in this category even though they are somewhat different.
Didn't mean what Bethesda does is good first RPGs .:D but I do like them. For me immersive sim isn't the same as first person RPGs. I did however forget about bloodlines! Never did play that.:(

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So, what's the big deal with Cyberpunk not having third-person camera in cutscenes? Most immersive sims out there don't have it.
I don't care much aboutt cutscenes but I hope that we can switch between first and third party camera during gameplay like on Skyrim for example. Option always better.

Reactions: Dandy

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So, there's still some third-person view left? Hope folks are satisfied with that.
Mmh, I don't really give a fuck about the controversy, this project is too big to not attire arguments like moths to a flame, but this is a 'some' that really sounds like morsels.
I don't care much aboutt cutscenes but I hope that we can switch between first and third party camera during gameplay like on Skyrim for example. Option always better.
Quasi-certain it won't be the case.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I wish it was otherwise, but they confirmed a long time ago that you cannot.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Mmh, I don't really give a fuck about the controversy, this project is too big to not attire arguments like moths to a flame, but this is a 'some' that really sounds like morsels.

Quasi-certain it won't be the case.
I wish it was otherwise, but they confirmed a long time ago that you cannot.
Shame :(

Option is always better but I can live with that.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Should we ignore that Skyrim's 3rd person animations are amateurish at best? Just because it has more options doesn't mean its better if they can't achieve any decent results with neither of them.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Should we ignore that Skyrim's 3rd person animations are amateurish at best? Just because it has more options doesn't mean its better if they can't achieve any decent results with neither of them.
It would still be nice for the people that really want that option, but yeah, Bethesda FP view is uhhhh.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Well I mean there are mods for that, and honestly most of Skyrim is rather bad without mods.

I got a little sick when using first person camera too long but it never happened with third person camera. So yeah I can compromise.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I like first person view in RPGs. It has a unique feeling in RPGs. It also feels like it is underserved compared to third person open world stuff with a skilltree. There are the immersive sim though I don't really consider them RPGs but I see the point why they would count.

While I find the game itsellf abysmal (mostly due to the horrendous UI and the writing was mostly whatever for me. Dropped it early) my favorite aspect about Kingdom Come Deliverance is its first person perspective. I usually don't give a crap about immersion but it made me feel moving through the world more believable. I find this feeling hard to articulate.
Similar to Skyrim where the game is unplayable in third person to me.

Excited for Cyberpunk giving me this feeling because it seems like a munch denser game than these two.

Also seems like a gif that fits the discussion

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
You have got to see things from the perspective of the studio: the more they can narrow the features, the more they can polish them. To release such an ambitious game in less than a year, I imagine that CDPR must have a tight schedule. Some manager must have checked the calendar and decided that they cannot do everything and do it right.

Ultimately, I am sure someone is going to mod a third-person view one day.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm totally fine with first person view only, it gives the game a sort of cohesion you don't get when you can swap back and forth. It's sad that lots of people have problems with that, of course.
But if you get nausea, then you might want to turn down the field of view, or sit further away from the screen. I would assume it's also not healthy to play very extended sessions if you susceptible to that sort of thing.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
You have got to see things from the perspective of the studio: the more they can narrow the features, the more they can polish them. To release such an ambitious game in less than a year, I imagine that CDPR must have a tight schedule. Some manager must have checked the calendar and decided that they cannot do everything and do it right.

Ultimately, I am sure someone is going to mod a third-person view one day.
I know, it's not a must have feature so I'm fine with it. I'm not someone who'll throw a fit just because a game doesn't have a feature that I prefer like the recent outrage against Control because it doesn't have HDR :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
Hello again everyone! There's a hurricane passing by, so I'll likely be without power for a few days. DAMN YOU WEATHER! :jj_mofo:

It's so easy to miss items dropped by enemies in Divinity Original Sin. There's nothing highlighting them and more often than not they're covered by the bodies or clipped into the ground. Even when that isn't the case they're hard to find in the middle of all the crap laying around because they're so small.
Yesterday I was dumbfounded because a boss was supposed to drop a key item that would allow me to continue the story and there was nothing. Eventually I found it because it had literally a pixel sticking out of the ground.
Such a basic flaw in what is otherwise an almost flawless game.
In DOS 1 and 2 there's a key (left Alt I think) you hold down that labels all the items lying around.

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
So you live in Floridia? Take care then, hope nothing happens and that everything will be restored quickly.
Yes, I've gone through several hurricanes and haven't experienced any major damage as I don't live near the coasts. So the biggest nuisances are the power outages that last for days afterwards. :angry-face: I've already made preparations, so I'm not too worried. :cold-sweat:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm totally fine with first person view only, it gives the game a sort of cohesion you don't get when you can swap back and forth. It's sad that lots of people have problems with that, of course.
But if you get nausea, then you might want to turn down the field of view, or sit further away from the screen. I would assume it's also not healthy to play very extended sessions if you susceptible to that sort of thing.
Shouldn't it be the other way around, increase FoV if you're uncomfortable or getting nauseous? It rarely happens to me, what affects me most is horrible frame pacing, but in the rare occasions it did I increased the slider to 100+ or whatever is the max. It bothers me to no end when games have sub 90 FoV by default.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Shouldn't it be the other way around, increase FoV if you're uncomfortable or getting nauseous? It rarely happens to me, what affects me most is horrible frame pacing, but in the rare occasions it did I increased the slider to 100+ or whatever is the max. It bothers me to no end when games have sub 90 FoV by default.
It's kinda both. On a PC monitor you want a higher FOV as the screen covers a large amount of your (natural) view. If you watch on a TV screen from a few meter distance, then it will cover only a small part of your natural view, and you'd want to reduce the FOV to match that.
It's about not confusing your brain, essentially.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
So just personally speaking, my problem with it is that if I never see my character why let me create them in the first place?

Like, I'm the type of person to spend hours in Character creation... and you're just never gonna let see my person? Why even give us the option then? Why waste money and dev resources? They coulda done just as well with a pre-made character AND saved money.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't understand why people keep acting like this is a mystery. They literally talked about this months ago:

“The way you dress, the way you customize your character, we want the world to respond to these things.”
How you dress, the tattoos, body modifications you get, and all that visual stuff should impact how you're perceived by the world. Maybe someone has the hots for a certain type of body mod, but hates another type. Maybe a certain tattoo will out you as a believer of a certain worldview to questgivers. Maybe certain clothes will cause people to flirt with you, while others might cause people to respect you more in certain settings. Maybe some characters will just have the hots for redheads and hate blondes.

I dunno, the idea of an immersive sim that reacts to how you look sounds sick to me. It's a fascinating idea actually. You'll have to remain cognizant of what you're wearing and who you are, even though you might forget while in the 1st-person view...kinda like real life.

Now if they cut the features of the world reacting to your personalization, now that's certainly a problem I can get behind raging about.

Status
Not open for further replies.