Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion

You know what every gaming platform should actually copy? Mod support and game file access. I still don’t understand why this “ difficulty” thing is the angle that people are taking for accessibility. If you want an accessible platform, one that (like PC) allows me to modify any internal game values or input methods is the obvious way to go.

I played a tycoon game earlier in the year that had a horrible balance on the last two levels. I tried dropping the difficulty down, but then it was piss easy. So what did I do? I just went in and changed a few values to make the cash gain more respectable. Boom. Problem solved. Oh my camera is wobbling weirdly in GreedFall and making me sick? There’s an FOV fix for that. Dark Souls kicking my ass? Ooh there’s cheat tables for that.

Support platforms that allow mods you fools :thumbsupblob:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

You know what every gaming platform should actually copy? Mod support and game file access. I still don’t understand why this “ difficulty” thing is the angle that people are taking for accessibility. If you want an accessible platform, one that (like PC) allows me to modify any internal game values or input methods is the obvious way to go.

I played a tycoon game earlier in the year that had a horrible balance on the last two levels. I tried dropping the difficulty down, but then it was piss easy. So what did I do? I just went in and changed a few values to make the cash gain more respectable. Boom. Problem solved. Oh my camera is wobbling weirdly in GreedFall and making me sick? There’s an FOV fix for that. Dark Souls kicking my ass? Ooh there’s cheat tables for that.

Support platforms that allow mods you fools :thumbsupblob:
But.. but you're ruining the devs' vision of game design!

:kissing-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019

I couldn't agree more with this. It's always been nonsensical to me how people conflate accessibility concerns with game difficulty. They aren't even close to the same thing. No surprise that this is another example "reporting" by Kyle Orland, who I consider to be the worst writer on Ars and probably the entire gaming press. Not a fan.

Reactions: Samson

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
But.. but you're ruining the devs' vision of game design!

:kissing-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I consider mod support to be the most friendly accessibility option to authorial intent!

With mod support, devs can worry about one finely tuned difficulty level (like say Dark Souls), and when it’s released we can either play that finely tuned vision, or modify it to whatever we specifically need.

Boom, my specific needs can be addressed, and devs don’t have to waste time tuning difficulty levels that they don’t want to make (and anyways no number of difficulty levels can ever account for the full variety of personal preference or personal needs/conditions).

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I consider mod support to be the most friendly accessibility option to authorial intent!

With mod support, devs can worry about one finely tuned difficulty level (like say Dark Souls), and when it’s released we can either play that finely tuned vision, or modify it to whatever we specifically need.

Boom, my specific needs can be addressed, and devs don’t have to waste time tuning difficulty levels that they don’t want to make (and anyways no number of difficulty levels can ever account for the full variety of personal preference or personal needs/conditions).
A thousand times this.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I wonder if Perfect World Entertainment will still continue to push their launcher after Steam Platform (China) releases?

BTW, the Arc launcher looks like a rip off of the Battle.net launcher.
They are not even pushing right now, Remnant From the Ashes, a game they published, released direct onto Steam, you could buy a Steam Key from Arc.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Question about Yakuza 0 side activities. Are they gradually introduced through the story or am I supposed to actively seek them out myself?

Chance Hale

Yikes forever
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado
The tone of Iconoclasts is really bizarre, you have these exaggerated main characters and speech patterns contrasted against a rather dark plot about class war in a facist religious state where npcs get killed and pummeled into submission constantly.

Game is so fluid to play tho and the art style and bouncy animations are a nice contrast to Blasphemous for religious themed 2d games.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Tested out Nvidia Shadowplay and wow that thing records really well quality wise!
I recorded my playthrough of a stage in Brave and here is Part 1. Funnily enough I had a phone call at the point where the video ends, so I continued recording afterwards.
Due to my net connection, uploading to YT is slow so I'll put up Part 2 later

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Some of them are, some of them aren't.
Around when would you say they start? Does the game encourage you to seek stuff out? I'm somewhere in chapter 2 right now and while I've met a few NPC's and done a few one off side missions that I happened by, I've been mostly sticking with driving the main story forward.
Currently chasing down some real estate people, just fetched some booze to bunch of homeless people.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Nioh second boss is down. After 2 hours and dozens of attempts. And you all were lying, I didn’t feel the fabled rush of euphoria you are supposed to have in those situations.
On the brightside, when a mob attack I’m all ‘can’t touch me, lol’, ‘neither that way, bro’, ‘let’s put you out of your misery you poor scrub mob’.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Haha I was feeling like I didn't want to continue with Yakuza 0 after having problems with even chapter one, thought I would give it a go still because there is so much I like... Then I met Mr shakedown. Holy Jesus fucking Christ that has to be the worst gameplay element designed in the history of the medium.XD

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Refresh my memory, in Dark Souls 1 what're the suggested stats to increase if not max out early on? Stamina and weight are stuff I'd focus on first since I don't want to be 'gated' by them.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Refresh my memory, in Dark Souls 1 what're the suggested stats to increase if not max out early on? Stamina and weight are stuff I'd focus on first since I don't want to be 'gated' by them.
Just go by the weapons or spells/pyromancy you want to use. Put stats in wtvr you need to enjoy playing the way you want. Also fyi if you don't have enough strength you can 2 hand a weapon which will let you bypass several points via a bonus. I don't remember if it works with dex as well but keep that in mind for your build so you don't overspend for a fun/early pve build.

Reactions: Tizoc

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Around when would you say they start? Does the game encourage you to seek stuff out? I'm somewhere in chapter 2 right now and while I've met a few NPC's and done a few one off side missions that I happened by, I've been mostly sticking with driving the main story forward.
Currently chasing down some real estate people, just fetched some booze to bunch of homeless people.
Yeah, they start rolling a few chapters in. Yakuza games are kind of a slow burn, the first few chapters are usually veeeeeeeeeery introductory then the game opens up a whole bunch.

Reactions: Kvik and RionaaM

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
One of the big things that he talked about was doors in VR. It sounded like Valve tried to make door act as realistic as possible but the issue is that people just were not use to it and they kind of had to scrape a lot of that work. They were able to make some compromises and were able to get something decent.

Also some people at Valve like the flagship VR game and other seem to hate it because of its "scale" (it's technically difficulties, both hardware and software wise, or something like that)

Reactions: Joe Spangle

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Absolutely.

The thing is, games don't really need official modding support. As long as the engine is mod friendly and I'll be happy enough. I don't remember the last time I didn't mod my PC games. There's always something that I mod, whether from Nexus, .ini files, even some touch of Reshade. I always mod my PC games.

Reactions: Samson

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The voice acting in GreedFall is actually better than what I expected. It feels kind of weird having the lip-sync not entirely matching the spoken dialogue, but I guess it's part of the charm. Is there an Nvidia Game Ready driver for this game? I'm still on 411.xx.

Reactions: Milena

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Absolutely.

The thing is, games don't really need official modding support. As long as the engine is mod friendly and I'll be happy enough. I don't remember the last time I didn't mod my PC games. There's always something that I mod, whether from Nexus, .ini files, even some touch of Reshade. I always mod my PC games.
Oh yeah, on PC this stuff is trivially easy, official support or not. Like in my example of tinkering with a tycoon game, there was no actual mod support until seven months later, so I was just messing around with the save files manually. And that was easy to figure out even for me.

I was more addressing how the “put more easy difficulties” discussion seems to come from a perspective of closed platforms, i.e. consoles. And if people want better accessibility, the obvious answer is to demand more open access on currently walled game platforms and supporting platforms (PC) that already do provide an open experience.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Yeah, they start rolling a few chapters in. Yakuza games are kind of a slow burn, the first few chapters are usually veeeeeeeeeery introductory then the game opens up a whole bunch.
Yep, I didn't enjoy the first 2 chapters in 0, and wanted to drop it. Luckily a friend (the same one who insisted that I preorder it) suggested that I stick with it a while longer, and he was right. As soon as Majima was introduced and I heard his "customer is king" speech, I realized this game was special. Became a fan a few chapters later.

Kiwami 1 hooked me from the start, and I hope K2 is the same. So glad I kept playing 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.