Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
That MySpace analogy in that tweet is absolutfuckinlutely breaking my brain over it's leg

MYSPACE WAS TRASH! Millienials were growing then! MYSPACE WAS ABSOLUTELY GAUDY! Using FB is as analogous to Epic as Steam is MySpace is a perfect analogy if you completely ignore how much of fall FB has taken over the last 3 or 4 years. Absolutely myopic and intellectual lazy.

What an outright bastard analogy

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
what do you mean

why do I have to advertise my unity topdown twin sticker shlooter with random procedurally levels and RPG elements INDIE game with funny name by myself

why steam made stardew valley big years ago and not my INDIE game now wtf

steam killed the indie scene just admit it and start idolizing me

-

this can sound a bit dickish, sorry if so, but after exchanging pms with some devs on reddit and then all this twitter bs this is one of the many impressions that I have for some of these people

About the Steam algorithm 'screwing' some devs, am I a bad person for thinking 'well tough luck, not everyone can be winners'.

I totally get how disheartening it can be, but trying to pin it to the platform is just bizarre.
No.

Like Iron said, Steam ain't perfect, but these folks on that Twitter thread are just trying to blame everything and anything that they can instead of having a self-critical look at the product they are trying to sell. Steam is just the perfect scapegoat.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Tomorrow is the day. We finally get our update
Especially since this criticism only seems to be leveled at Valve. Nobody pesters Sony about not promoting their games.
I think I have mentioned this before but it does seem like Sony does "promote" 'their' games but that is only leading up to launch and it might just be a blog post as most or if they are lucky and at a convention or something Sony will show them off their but that does not happen that often?

So that means that Sony at least did do something to tell the world about this game and that is a form of promoting the game. This is not something that Valve does (asides from maybe very recently with Steam China) all that often if at all and when they do promote (a blog post as an example) it all happens within Steam (which you know is where these games are going to be sold and not at some convention, where only a small amount of people will be to see the game and stuff like that).

So Sony and other do talk about these games as events and stuff like that but then when it times come to release they don't really seem to do a lot to promote these games. I mean sure Sony spends money and stuff trying to tell people about the game and people do take notice and people do buy but is that enough? Lets assume that for every new game releasing on PSN that Sony does a blog post, tweets about it and has a youtube trailer for the game and if the dev team is lucky enough Sony will feature them at an event. But here is the thing does all of that really help? From what I heard most indie games are selling best on N/S followed by Steam, then PSN and in last place Xbox.

So does Valve promote indie games? In a way yes but also no. Valve seems to tell indies to promote themselves since that seems to be the only way that people will known about their game. What good is Valve telling people to check out indie "X", when indie "X" knows more about itself than Valve does. Is there where the whole "wishlist now" comes into place? I say Valve doesn't promote "upcoming games" outside of Steam it would seem, If you check on their twitter a majority of it is for Steamdeals, they also mention when a new game releases but that is only for big profile games (and I'm pretty sure we know the reason why, having to post about 20 new games and DLC everyday, ya no) and on very rare occasions they will also tweet about something else, like they did about Steam cloud save with DOS2. If you look at the Valve youtube page it is just Valve stuff and not game trailers, but the PS youtube channels is a lot of trailers and stuff like that. So unless I am missing something in those avenues Valve is not really doing a lot to promote games. But the place that they do "promote" games on is Steam and that is where it matters more and I guess that is what indie devs want? But the thing is why do they want it on Steam and not say PSN? Why don't these indie devs make noise about their games getting noticed on PSN? I'm guessing that because of how selective that Sony is (?) that they don't have to worry to much about competition since it doesn't show up too often? I remember in 2016 when my Vita was my main device that I would check on PSN for new games and stuff like that and not that many came out all that often and because I knew where to look I could find out about these indie games, but is it the same way with other people though? I'm just rambling on right now.

By the way the "Ellen" game also seems to be on PSN and it just released a few days ago, I wonder how its selling on there?

This is what I assumed it did, but it does makes sense as to why I would get a lot of weird random event invites but never any news feed updates or very few.
That said, if a dev just drops a game on steam or any digital storefront and doesn't do any kind of promotional work, they have only themselves to blame. Valve is not your PR, but it can help with how you approach PR. Still gotta put in that leg work yourself to get your title out there for steam to recognize an interest uptick

In other words if you play your cards right and are able to get people to notice your game, get hype around it and such than on release date or the day after (assuming no other big name game came out or that there is a publisher sale going on) Valve may even put your game as the banner. I don't think it happens all that often but Valve has been doing more and more often (didn't they do a banner for Greedfall?).
Is there even going to be a difference in the two games or nah?
I doubt it, if anything they (along with Sony and MS) will try to make it so that your progress carries over like with GTA Online. Seeing how the next Xbox and PS5 will have BC I doubt they will "can" the current versions.

But what will Epic do when PC2 gets released?

Last edited:
Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So Sony and other do talk about these games as events and stuff like that but then when it times come to release they don't really seem to do a lot to promote these games. I mean sure Sony spends money and stuff trying to tell people about the game and people do take notice and people do buy but is that enough? Lets assume that for every new game releasing on PSN that Sony does a blog post, tweets about it and has a youtube trailer for the game and if the dev team is lucky enough Sony will feature them at an event. But here is the thing does all of that really help? From what I heard most indie games are selling best on N/S followed by Steam, then PSN and in last place Xbox.
That's if you follow Sony's social channels. I don't. Therefore I wouldnt know those games exist anyway.

Reactions: PC-tan

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
That's if you follow Sony's social channels. I don't. Therefore I wouldnt know those games exist anyway.
Sony also isn't getting inundated with new games on the same level as Steam. It's much easier to be seen when there are only a handful of games released on a system in a given month.
If these guys want curation, they shouldn't have complained about curation being bad and to get rid of it when Valve was doing it. They cannot have it both ways as much as they twitter bitch about it

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Sony also isn't getting inundated with new games on the same level as Steam. It's much easier to be seen when there are only a handful of games released on a system in a given month.
If these guys want curation, they shouldn't have complained about curation being bad and to get rid of it when Valve was doing it. They cannot have it both ways as much as they twitter bitch about it
Just the same as Switch. Of course it was great when there's barely anything on it.

Reactions: PC-tan

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So in greedfall
I can enable reshade but my controller isnt recognized by the game =_=
Anyone know a workaround for this?

Fyi i need to rename the dx.dll file into d3d11.dll for the reshade preset ro work.
Which controller do you use? Assuming you've ticked the appropriate checkbox for it under the Steam Client > Options > Controller Configuration, you shouldn't have issue with it.

Secondly, for ReShade dll hook, the filename should be dxgi.dll, or d3d11.dll as you described.

AI is a 60€ game? Didn't expect that for some reason.
That's the ballpark for Spike Chunsoft games, I suppose. Thinking about it, they never put their games on 3rd party resellers like GMG for some reason. I wonder why that is.

Reactions: PC-tan and MJunioR

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I think part of the problem with some/most of the games doing the roguelike/roguelite featureset is they're relying on it to hide away or mask the fact that their game is about as deep as a puddle contentwise.
My two favorite (At the moment) actual roguelike games Tales of Maj'Eyal and ADOM on steam (Even though you can buy them off their respective websites or play their demos, etc) are have insane amounts of content in them for what they are but they are a legitimate roguelike not sort of just riding on grabbing elements from the name.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Which controller do you use? Assuming you've ticked the appropriate checkbox for it under the Steam Client > Options > Controller Configuration, you shouldn't have issue with it.

Secondly, for ReShade dll hook, the filename should be dxgi.dll, or d3d11.dll as you described.

That's the ballpark for Spike Chunsoft games, I suppose. Thinking about it, they never put their games on 3rd party resellers like GMG for some reason. I wonder why that is.
Well to begin with SC did not have any western offices and it was mostly just based in Japan from what I recall and in 2016 is when SC started to self publish Danganronpa on Steam (which I'm sure that they are glad that they did seeing how well the series has sold on PC and how NISA didn't get a cut from the PC sales, which is also why NISA doesn't mention the PC versions of Danganronpa except on very rare occasions I think).

I think it was a few years later when they started their western branch and that might have had something to do with it? From what I see Danganronpa 1-2 collection is on Humble Bundle so after 2016 SC only sold on Steam. Which is rather strange but at the same time they have also done some weird things like put their games on sale for dirt cheap!!!!

They still seem to be selling keys on HB and unless those are original keys (aka they have not need to resupply HB and HB has had those keys since 2016).

The only logical thing that I can think of is maybe they just don't want to deal with keys because of an issue that they had in the past (before the formation of their western branch?) and just decided to not do any Steam keys after that. Do we know of any other Japanese publisher that does not have a western branch that also sells on Steam? A lot of the well known Japanese publishers (ASW I think is the exception??) have western branches and in most cases it the western branches that take care of stuff on PC.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Well to begin with SC did not have any western offices and it was mostly just based in Japan from what I recall and in 2016 is when SC started to self publish Danganronpa on Steam (which I'm sure that they are glad that they did seeing how well the series has sold on PC and how NISA didn't get a cut from the PC sales, which is also why NISA doesn't mention the PC versions of Danganronpa except on very rare occasions I think).

I think it was a few years later when they started their western branch and that might have had something to do with it? From what I see Danganronpa 1-2 collection is on Humble Bundle so after 2016 SC only sold on Steam. Which is rather strange but at the same time they have also done some weird things like put their games on sale for dirt cheap!!!!

They still seem to be selling keys on HB and unless those are original keys (aka they have not need to resupply HB and HB has had those keys since 2016).

The only logical thing that I can think of is maybe they just don't want to deal with keys because of an issue that they had in the past (before the formation of their western branch?) and just decided to not do any Steam keys after that. Do we know of any other Japanese publisher that does not have a western branch that also sells on Steam? A lot of the well known Japanese publishers (ASW I think is the exception??) have western branches and in most cases it the western branches that take care of stuff on PC.
I'm mildly sure Spike Chunsoft Inc. which is their American subsidiary would have an office in North America, at least. They've handled the localisation internally since Steins;Gate after all.

FunnyJay