Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The hell, I just saw that they rewrote most of Legrand Legacy because of common complaints (long-winded dialogue, Aria completely unlikable) o_O
Maybe that explains why the game feels weirdly shizophrenic at times.
Gotta say, while I appreciate them putting in a ton of work into post-release support, learning this has actually kinda killed my motivation to continue somewhat :/

Reactions: MJunioR

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The hell, I just saw that they rewrote most of Legrand Legacy because of common complaints (long-winded dialogue, Aria completely unlikable) o_O
Maybe that explains why the game feels weirdly shizophrenic at times.
Gotta say, while I appreciate them putting in a ton of work into post-release support, learning this has actually kinda killed my motivation to continue somewhat :/
It's the first time I heard about the rewrite. Has it been completed yet? When's the ETA?

It's on a sale right now and I'm tempted.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Greedfall, Remnant and Code Vein, are any of these gaas games? I want to play them, but haven't bought them yet due to some other games I need to finish first, som Im wonfering if there are things happening in those games Im missing out on right now or are they pretty much just SP games with MP support?

Reactions: NarohDethan

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
So I recently completed Little Misfortune and Mutazione and I highly recommend both games.

Definitely get Little Misfortune if you're looking for a short spooky adventure able to combine gloomy and tragic events with cute and quirky humor. The game is wonderfully voiced, the main character is great and it's artistically brilliant.

Get Mutazione if you like narrative games like Night in the Woods where you find yourself in a small community and you get to know and bond with each character and learn their own personal stories made of dreams, ambitions, hopes and tragedies. No voice-over but amazing visuals. Wonderful, wonderful game. Loved every second of it (except when it ended :p). Edit: Also, for the few who might be interested, I noticed just now that I wasn't playing a native linux port. It runs flawlessly through Proton.

Now it's time for Jenny LeClue.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I actually prefer that it's easier, to be honest (and the fact that people who might want to make it harder can do so). Big fan of the AI going with me and how aggressive it is.
As someone who is playing Nioh, and to a lesser extent The Surge 1, at the moment, I have no problem with an easier experience :face-with-head-bandage:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just remembered that I have the Blackwell conspiracy and got happy, because it seems great! I've seen "later this year" for release, there's no more exact date?

For October, let's do the play a horror game challenge, if resident evil 7 works well I think I'll play that!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I see. I kinda missed the 2nd line in your initial post. I thought it's weird that you lost motivation because the game is being improved with the rewrite.
Hm, I'm really not sure how to word this.
I get the feeling it might not be a straight improvement? That changing lots of things has the potential for things to not really mesh together. Like, it kinda dillutes their vision or something? I really don't know how to turn this feeling into words.

The one thing I got from reading about it, is that they at least completely changed 1 character's personality. And it's noticeable. As in, the character sometimes acts completely out-of-character (or basically how it was previously, I guess?) and it feels weird. And it really takes me out of the game.
That weird "personality switching" feeling was what got me to google, because I wanted to know if this was a common complaint or something, and there I came across that script rewrite info and now I can't help but fear that there will be more such moments where it feels noticeable that 2 different scripts are cobbled together.

Deleted member 113

I get close to 2 per week now that I'm over Level 100. They're usually for terrible games though!
I'm level 112, and I get so few boosters, I completely forgot it was a thing.
I don't believe I got a single one this year. If I got any, surely it was a single one.

I really don't get it. I know these are random, but according to the percentage info available for boosters, since I have over twice the probability of getting boosters, I should be receiving more boosters than when I was a lower level.
But, I can assure you I received more boosters when I was, like levels 18-30, than I get now. I used to receive a booster a month, or occasionally two boosters a month.
Now, I get 1 or 2... a year. :(

Reactions: lashman

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Trying to pick up Pillars of Eternity 2 from where I left it at, and I feel so lost that I remember why I dropped it:

The combat is chaotic and I can't understand ANYTHING that is happening. All my spells hit like a wet fart. I can't ever understand what is happening in the battlefield. I just close my eyes and hope that Auto-Battle takes care of it.

I never had this much trouble with a CRPG

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Hm, I'm really not sure how to word this.
I get the feeling it might not be a straight improvement? That changing lots of things has the potential for things to not really mesh together. Like, it kinda dillutes their vision or something? I really don't know how to turn this feeling into words.

The one thing I got from reading about it, is that they at least completely changed 1 character's personality. And it's noticeable. As in, the character sometimes acts completely out-of-character (or basically how it was previously, I guess?) and it feels weird. And it really takes me out of the game.
That weird "personality switching" feeling was what got me to google, because I wanted to know if this was a common complaint or something, and there I came across that script rewrite info and now I can't help but fear that there will be more such moments where it feels noticeable that 2 different scripts are cobbled together.
I see. So in short, while their intention was great, the execution was not. They probably didn't have a lot of time and resource to fix everything without messing with something in some other parts.

Trying to pick up Pillars of Eternity 2 from where I left it at, and I feel so lost that I remember why I dropped it:

The combat is chaotic and I can't understand ANYTHING that is happening. All my spells hit like a wet fart. I can't ever understand what is happening in the battlefield. I just close my eyes and hope that Auto-Battle takes care of it.

I never had this much trouble with a CRPG
I think it's actually better than the first game. Mainly due to the fact that there are fewer party members in the sequel. In PoE1, I generally had no idea what I'm doing in combat because there are too many characters to micromanage. But in PoE2, I only have to manage 5 at a time and there's also the AI scripting which help me quite a bit.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Greedfall, Remnant and Code Vein, are any of these gaas games? I want to play them, but haven't bought them yet due to some other games I need to finish first, som Im wonfering if there are things happening in those games Im missing out on right now or are they pretty much just SP games with MP support?
Nah, they aren't GaaS, especially Greedfall. Code Vein will get more dungeons (purchasable separately or through the game season pass) and Remnant will get free updates (the first free dungeon is already available) but that is it.

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
I'm level 240 and i get a booster every 2-3 days, way faster than when i was level 120 before the summer sale.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The first Yooka Laylee game did nothing to me but this new DK-inspired game releasing in October looks so great. Might have to pick it up.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I don't believe I got a single one this year. If I got any, surely it was a single one.

I really don't get it. I know these are random, but according to the percentage info available for boosters, since I have over twice the probability of getting boosters, I should be receiving more boosters than when I was a lower level.
But, I can assure you I received more boosters when I was, like levels 18-30, than I get now. I used to receive a booster a month, or occasionally two boosters a month.

Every under 5 days on the dot for me according to the inventory history page:

28th September - Sweater Ok?
23rd September - Kholat
18th September - Overture
13th September - Deadlight
9th... etc.... etc...

I have heard tales of people with large numbers of games and of high level that just don't get them for some weird reason.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Hmmm... I was in a Gamestop store that is soon to close it's store. All the merchandise are 50% off. Bought some merch which I am going to give to my children and a game. The game is Monster Hunter World which costed around 9 euro. Did I make a wise choice? Not sure if it's a game I will like

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Hmmm... I was in a Gamestop store that is soon to close it's store. All the merchandise are 50% off. Bought some merch which I am going to give to my children and a game. The game is Monster Hunter World which costed around 9 euro. Did I make a wise choice? Not sure if it's a game I will like
MHW is super good but it's sort of an adquired taste. For 9 euro might as well give it a go.

Reactions: Deku and MJunioR

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Steam won't let me buy anything unless it's from my wallet. Just getting "Unexpected error has occured, your purchase has not been completed".

Bought something with my cc on wednesday and it was fine.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Hmmm... I was in a Gamestop store that is soon to close it's store. All the merchandise are 50% off.
Gamestop is selling all PC games (even new ones like Rage 2 or DMC 5) for 2 euros here in Italy since they're apparently abandoning PC games and clearing stock. I managed to grab some interesting stuff (Diablo 3 battle chest, Elex, Outward, Elex) but there was next to nothing left.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Damn, thanks for the heads up on Common'hood. Looks very interesting.
no problem ... but don't hold your breath on that one ...

they promised a beta in December (even had signups) ... and have been completely silent since, no blog posts, no tweets, no nothing (apparently someone sent them a message on facebook, and they said they're still working on it ... but even that was like 4 or 5 months ago) ... so who the hell knows what's going on with that game

i mean - i'm sure it's still happening ... but prooooobably don't expect it any time soon

Reactions: Wildebeet

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Gamestop is selling all PC games (even new ones like Rage 2 or DMC 5) for 2 euros here in Italy since they're apparently abandoning PC games and clearing stock. I managed to grab some interesting stuff (Diablo 3 battle chest, Elex, Outward, Elex) but there was next to nothing left.
Nice, here in Sweden they have more or less abandoned PC games. I was lucky to find some PC games at all even in this store that is soon to close. Nothing spectacular though.
Wanna help me buy DMC5? :p 2 euros for it seems nice

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

I don’t really want to go into much about how we still seem to be stuck with the idea of an indiepocalypse because I’ve exhausted myself (and thousands of words) on this before.

I still maintain the fundamental flaw with the concept of the indiepocalypse is that it assumes there was a time where it was sunshine and roses for developers. I honestly don’t know how many different ways I can say “no, really – for most of us, it was never that great” but I’m sure if I got really desperate, I could find at least one more way. Like I just did there. Ooh. Get me.

Anyway.

I’ve made no secret that sticking my head into the worst parts of videogames for a few years left me burnt out and exhausted, something that’s only lifted somewhat in the past couple of months. In that time, I won’t say I’ve found the talk around existing here increasingly negative (although it does remind me of the Indiegamer Forums circa 2007 but on a larger scale. anyone there will know what I mean, this reference is for them) but I will say that it increasingly seems like we have an inability to see further into the future than kind of about now and a little bit and that really warps how we talk about being in games.

To be fair, I don’t think this is restricted to videogames. It’s very much a 21st Century malaise in general. See usual “I write about videogames though”, yeah?

I’ll admit, I’m not immune to all this stuff. Partly because so much of business in 2019 appears to be every person for themselves, get what you can whilst you can and partly because the current political climate in the UK reflects exactly that. The endgame 40 years in the making where the only thing stopping the government from completely trashing everything is, erm, human rights acts and the like. And unlucky for us, they appear to have found a way to both stir up the extreme right and get us out of that. Hooray!

And, crucially, everyone I know is struggling.

Essentially, when everything around you is in perpetual danger of falling apart, it really does make it difficult to think about anything but what’s falling apart around you. So I do get it. I kinda understand how we’re here. Understanding it doesn’t lessen the rot any though.

It’s definitely changed how I write about games. I don’t really have the same hopes that we’re going to push hard enough and change things for the better. I still believe we can, I believe we are improving the space that is videogames in ways I could have only hoped for even just a few years back. But when I sit down to write about what we can do to improve something or what’s happening now, there’s always that nagging “yeah, but we won’t” feeling to it. All this is accentuated by the fact we’re still dealing with 2014 in 2019.

There’s a cloud hanging there and it’s a dark one.

When you throw all this on top of a bunch of very corporate landgrab operations at the mo, really, I can totally understand why the prevailing attitude is take what you can get, where you can get it. Especially when people in huge companies are throwing around absolutely reckless amounts of money on making their corporate ambitions come true and not one of them doing that appears to have any plan that doesn’t involve just taking more and more from us over time.

It would, of course, be prudent for a lot of people to not take the money and try and steer ourselves away from the worst outcomes but you know, we’re back to “but most of us need money” again with that. Which brings us back round, again, to an inability to see a better future of videogames because we all know what’s going on, we all know where this leads even at its most optimistic and it’s not going to favour you or me. But right now, things are tough enough that fuck it, offer me the cash so I don’t have to worry about things crashing down around my ears for another twelve months and I’d take it too. Of course I would.

So yeah, it’s no wonder it’s hard for folk to visualise a better future in games. It’s no wonder I end up looking at the way everyone talks about videogames as business and feeling a bit sad. This wasn’t really the future I was after when I, and so many others, went kicking and screaming to get smaller works reaccepted back into videogames again. It’s the one we have though so I guess I best just deal with that.

But! I haven’t lost all hope for videogames in the future. There’s incredible, diverse, work being made now often in spite of videogames as a space. There’s more people making more amazing things than any time I’ve been alive. It’s incredible and I’m absolutely spoiled rotten by it all. There’s been new folk after new folk transforming, terraforming what games are and can be and so many of them are so bold, so wonderful. I’d stick around just for games being able to be compassionate works in the mainstream now, Molyneux only knows that’s desperately overdue.

The main reason I haven’t lost hope though, even allowing for the dark cloud, is that this isn’t the first time I’ve felt like this in games, where I’ve seen so many people just trying to catch a break and struggling to see what’s next. It’s happened a few times in my existence and you know what? Videogames changed. People did that. And whilst we’ve still got good people here, I’m always going to have hope.

That goes for the wider world as well too.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've always got time for Rob, sometimes i don't agree with him totally but he always makes me think.
Jeez, i've just realised i've been listening to Rob since 2006 or so.

Yes, Wayback Machine has Graham Goring's ArseCast Indie Game Podcast so i know what i'm listening to today, 2007's Indie gaming news.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
It’s time for my annual “play darkest dungeon for a few hours and then get frustrated when everyone dies and stop playing” session!
My SO would go through streaks of obsessively playing that game, and I really enjoyed watching a lot of it. Then later, I'd hear the music in my head when falling asleep or when at the store or something, and suddenly, everything seemed so bleak and hopeless. Good times.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I've always got time for Rob, sometimes i don't agree with him totally but he always makes me think.
Jeez, i've just realised i've been listening to Rob since 2006 or so.

Yes, Wayback Machine has Graham Goring's ArseCast Indie Game Podcast so i know what i'm listening to today, 2007's Indie gaming news.
you're welcome :p

Reactions: MJunioR

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So far using wallet money works to buy stuff, so Im gonna have to use wallet/gift money to buy, so that's good at least.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

If you don't idle shovelware you don't get boosters, true story.

Actually checked and the last one I got was in July 2018, f y gaben lol.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
Status
Not open for further replies.