Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
It is a bit sad that Deathloop came across as the least interesting game of the Sony showcase. Arkane Lyon finally making it absolutely clear that they are not making an immersive sim. But still, somehow, not making it clear what you are supposed to do in the game, and why it should be of interest to us.

The blandness reminded me of the awful "The Club" for 360/PS3. I still remember some of the embarrassing reviews of that game, of people getting caught up in the hype for a game that was soon to be forgotten. I think the key word was "style shooting" or something like that. You did it on a timer. I guess that is what you do in Deathloop as well?
Yeah I want to like the look of Deathloop cos Arkane of course, but my head is ringing alarm bells with "nope this is just a fancy roguelike, avoid"

Reactions: Milena and d00d3n

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019
Still waiting on the official Playstation Blog post about the Playstation Plus Collection. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but Bloodborne PC may still get announced today.

Reactions: Shahem

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Still waiting on the official Playstation Blog post about the Playstation Plus Collection. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but Bloodborne PC may still get announced today.
The whole collection (at least the ones not already on PC) would be very smart actually.
What better way to introduce PC players to Playstation ?

Would make sense actually.

Reactions: TheTrain

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Because Sony just confirmed first party games will be priced as such.
Because Sony announced that DeS Remake will be sold at that price :^)
They can go diddle themselves where the sun doesn't shine then.

We're on the verge of a horrible recession, in the middle of a pandemic, salaries have barely nudged upward in a decade and this is what they come out with.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is when Facebook reps claimed that Quest 2's controllers have fewer infrared sensor points: "We're able to find computer vision algorithms tuned to achieve the same [level of controller] tracking in fewer LEDs, thus [requiring] less power," a Facebook representative told Ars Technica.

I went back to compare tricky "expert" Beat Saber levels on both Quest 1 and Quest 2, and sure enough, the older controller is noticeably more accurate. It's hard to perfectly measure VR controller detection without access to verbose data logs (which I've used to diagnose issues with SteamVR in the past). But I can safely say that after an hour going back and forth between Quest 1 and 2, the number of lost swipes on the newer hardware was higher. So this downgrade in sensor points checks out.
Tested shows exact same number of IR lights on both revisions, lol (timestamped):

Placebozo interpreting things how he wants them to be just cos Facebook bad I guess.

Tracking may still not be quite as good 100%, who knows, for Tested it wasn't perceivable (and yet they perceived the G2's deficiencies in comparison to Quest/S) and I'm sure it can improve if needed since the lights are there and it only varies how many it tracks at a time or how it blinks them.

Outside the Facebook shenanigans which are up to anyone's opinion I don't see how anyone can not recommend it outright for anyone. from $299 (if you find the strap bad then $349 but Tested found it ok) you get a bit higher res than Index at 90Hz, the best finger-tracking-less VR controllers made (back to CV1 quality it seems, even with the thumb rest area), roughly the best-tier inside out tracking even if ars is right in that it's not as good as before, no need for proprietary PC cables, just a good USB cable, and of course the best stand alone kit by a mile on top of the PC VR stuff. If you want super high res G2 is your friend but you'll deal with its tracking & in EU it costs freaking 699 EUR (and the Quest 2 starts 349 EUR so 400 with Elite strap if needed). Might as well go full premium for an Index at that point for its impeccable tracking and deluxe controllers. Sound is important too, the Quest 2's is just passable I guess, but you can use your own headphones, we PC gamers got those for our PCs before VR was a thing and still havethem most likely. So yeah. A bit less bias, a bit more objective hardware reviews from that guy pls. Even if he has to spend paragraphs about Facebook anyway it's nuts to present the Quest 2 in that light.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Wonder if Demon's will be a Death Stranding situation.
Look, it's dead. It was a mistake. Mistakes happen.

But from this moment the internet will be convinced that DeS is coming to switch, to PC, to calculators and even to game pass.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Capcom is being awfully quiet about the DMC5:SE upgrades coming to PC. "Ray Tracing for PS5 and Xbone Series!" and...? Are we gonna get boned and be stuck with the PS4/Xbone version with just Vergil DLC? lol

EDIT: We're boned; awesome.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I assume the reason everything looked easy in the Demon's Trailer is that IT WAS A TRAILER and having the dude strafe around and parry for 6min wouldn't be exciting to watch silly gooses.
So they misrepresented gameplay? It's like as if Crusader Kings 3 showed Total War battles because it "looks cooler" instead of the numbers ticking down in the real gameplay.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Let's see how the Playstation Collection pans out. Is that going to be Sony's GamePass and help balance things out?
I know nothing about it.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Who are these moneybags that will pay these insane prices for next gen games. Maybe I'm just cheap or spoiled with pricing on PC. I hope the trend doesn't bleed over.

Either way, indies will continue to be the main course on my menu :longswordblob2:

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
It is a bit sad that Deathloop came across as the least interesting game of the Sony showcase. Arkane Lyon finally making it absolutely clear that they are not making an immersive sim. But still, somehow, not making it clear what you are supposed to do in the game, and why it should be of interest to us.
It shouldn't happen, but this game is genuinely aggravating me. How the fuck does Arkane go from making amazing immersive sims like Prey to whatever the hell this game is supposed to be. Nobody makes immersive sims these days. Anyone can make a co-op shooter or a PvP shooter or a roguelike shooter or whatever this game is meant to be. Really frustrating that those kinds of games don't sell and then studios like Arkane and Eidos Montreal get shifted into whatever new genre of shit publishers think will mint them money. Blah.

Outside the Facebook shenanigans which are up to anyone's opinion I don't see how anyone can not recommend it outright for anyone. from $299 (if you find the strap bad then $349 but Tested found it ok) you get a bit higher res than Index at 90Hz, the best finger-tracking-less VR controllers made (back to CV1 quality it seems, even with the thumb rest area), roughly the best-tier inside out tracking even if ars is right in that it's not as good as before, no need for proprietary PC cables, just a good USB cable, and of course the best stand alone kit by a mile on top of the PC VR stuff.
You never needed proprietary cables for the Quest 1 either. Otherwise, I agree with you. The Quest 2 will be the most obvious to recommend HMD outside the super high end stuff like the Index. Wireless VR is the future, and the Rift series was dead long before today's announcement.

The guy reviewing the headset really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the Facebook linking and lets it bleed through to the entire article. The only really valid criticism I see is the worse off IPD selection system. The strap not fitting on his head is unfortunate but the Quest 1 also has meme levels of poor straps and an entire cottage industry set up to 'fix' the problem. Some features don't seem to be ready (like the proper 90hz) stuff which hopefully will get done soon. What else? They traded an OLED for IPS but went with a higher resolution. So now we can debate over accurate colours versus proper blacks. It's clear that getting the price down was a top priority and I think it makes sense. I'm starting to get a feeling that there might be a time limit for VR to take off before it just gets sidelined altogether, and I think PSVR2 and Oculus will have to do a lot to make it happen. That last bit is just my personal feelings on the matter.

Reactions: d00d3n
Status
Not open for further replies.