Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Glad the zenimax stuff won't affect PC negatively (for now) but maybe actually improve it (kill off beth launcher since MS has their own stuff and Steam too atm).

After this move I guess just about anything goes this gen. Who's gonna buy Capcom, lol.

Reactions: C-Dub

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
John Doe: "You don't understand, Sony's first party exclusives are good for the industry and enrich gaming"

The same John Doe: "Fuck fuck, terrible news, a conglomerate giant is never a good thing".

Pick a side and stick to it.

Dec 5, 2018
I remember when microsoft started buying studios (or maybe it was earlier i can't remember) people saying that it felt like the start of the PS360 generation (?) when big publisher started adquiring smaller one.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Well now that's a big dick power play if I ever saw one.

On one hand, ugh more console exclusivity bullshit, though this shouldn't affect PC at all it's still concerning.

On the other hand schadenfreude is my middle name and I want a front row seat of Sony stans who were cheering for exclusives and list wars last week.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Stop with the corporate consolidations please oh my God
"Imperalists ceased controlling the democracy, for they find bureucracy too binding.
The modern day imperialist controls the underlying culture of society, the thoughts, the arts and the means of consumption.
The third world war will not be fought with shells and mortars, but with stocks, private capital and subscription services"

Hektor's letters to MetaCouncil, 2020

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
M&A is not lateral. It is more like if those executives are willing to sell out their company.

Tbh, I doubt Bethesda was in good shape before the buyout. Doom Eternal is successful but their other recent titles were flop after flop.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I can't believe how many people are actually happy about this. Microsoft has never been the good guy, and just because they're doing things like Gamepass and PC releases of console games to make more money now doesn't mean they won't take every opportunity to screw everyone over if an opportunity to make more money presents itself.
Yeah.

That said, I'm at least slightly torn between that thought and the thought that at least Tim can't get his greedy mitts on the games. And the amusement of PS superfans (probably) losing their collective shit over it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah.

That said, I'm at least slightly torn between that thought and the thought that at least Tim can't get his greedy mitts on the games. And the amusement of PS superfans (probably) losing their collective shit over it.
I saw someone suggest that MS scrambled to do something after the PS5 showcase. Sony fans are on another level, man.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I hadn't considered the Epic thing, that's an interesting possible upside. But cmon, I see as much if not more console warring on this forum as anywhere else lol. You can't blame people for being pissed about the possibility that a console you don't have will get exclusive content that you would have been able to play if not for a huge corporate acquisition, especially from a high profile publisher like Bethesda. What a shitty situation.

I can also foresee all sorts of fuckery around using this as a cudgel to promote Gamepass, a service that is a complete no-go for me. But this is all doom and glooming right now -- all we can do is wait and see how the people in charge decide to act.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I saw someone suggest that MS scrambled to do something after the PS5 showcase. Sony fans are on another level, man.
Yeah, a 7.5 billion deal is totes not something that was likely in the works since last year.

I don't think Sony will just stand still and do nothing. The ramifications of this move are still to be seen.
Sony will just keep doing other exclusivity deals as they were.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
This new generation is not looking good, exclusives and wallet mongering. When things seemed to move to more open environments and more user oriented we get the opposite, steep prices, rentals and who knows what else...
The Gamepass thing works as long as you have it for a reason. It helps that some of those games on GP are games I play with my friends in Co Op. The new $10 a month price tag is making me think a little bit but not too hard. I used to get BK Impossible Whopper and Onion rings every Friday afternoon as an end of the week treat. I've cut that out recently so there's my gamepass $$.

The only 'deal' of any kind appears to be the Xbox Series S, and only, ONLY if you use it as mostly a gamepass machine. BC is limited due to zippo disk drive.

PS5 looks like a waste of $$ to start the gen. Cross gen games everywhere.

PS5 digital will have the worst value over its lifetime by far. Xbox Series X looks ok.....

Personal gaming news:

Days Gone isn't bad and it looks amazing, even on the base PS4. I'm not too deep into it but I think I've got three hours and so far nothing deal breaking. Its my first open world zombie game in years so some of my impressions are built my lack of being burned out the genre.

How is this for a throwback, I played an entire mission of House of the Dead: Overkill on my PS3. On my Controller too! It was gut.

Reactions: ISee

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
$7.5 bil on bethesda a much better deal for ms than $30 bil on tiktok 😆

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Holy fuck I was doing work business and being stupid.

How in the merry fuck did I miss that Bethesda/Zenimax got bought out by M$.

Cancel those PS5 preorders right fast peeps.

God, Sony getting kneecapped early this gen. They lose the price war (GP doesn't give a toads tiny anus about graphic power and SSD whatever) and appear to be losing the software war right quick.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im scared that this will make Sony buy CapCom or Square making Resident Evil or FF PS5 exclusive. :(

I need my cheats in JRPGs.

I mean, good that Beth games will be on PC, but bad in which way Sony will retaliate.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I don’t think Sony has that kind of cash to buy something that big. They don’t need to, anyway. Japanese companies like Atlus and Bandai Namco already have this open secret ‘faithfulness’ to Sony.

Microsoft basically has infinite money, they can buy anyone if they really wanted to.

Reactions: PC-tan and warp_

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I don’t think Sony has that kind of cash to buy something that big. They don’t need to, anyway. Japanese companies like Atlus and Bandai Namco already have this open secret ‘faithfulness’ to Sony.

Microsoft basically has infinite money, they can buy anyone if they really wanted to.
Microsoft is M$ for a reason.

Still getting my head around this.

If I had a PS5 pre order, I'd cancel it right now just on this news.

Deleted member 113

The (continuing) adventures of me, trying to raise funds to buy STAR WARS: Squadrons with just wallet funds from selling cards on the Steam market:
-last night, I'm short of 2€ until I have enough funds to finally buy it; :blobcheer:
-this morning, I buy a cheap FMV game, plus a cheap DLC, whose sale ends in a few hours, so I'm back to missing around 8€ in necessary funds; :shrugblob:
-I "farm" a few more cards, and I sell 2€ or so in cards in the last few hours, so I'm now only missing around 6€; :evilblob:
-a Freedom Fighters re-release in announce for later today, with a price tag of 10€. :fearful-face:

Last edited by a moderator:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

yeah for better or worse the two companies aren't really comparable financially. ms makes more from their cloud division than the entire company of sony.

ByteDance wanted $30 bil for TikTok? That's insane

btw, is TikTok banned in the states yet?
not banned. they are now partially owned by both oracle and....walmart lol

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm not super happy about MS's buying spree. Instead of creating value and jobs, establishing studios and all, they are acquiring them. The consolidation worries me.

On the other hand, this is Zenimax we're talking about.

I'm still pretty hostile and distrustful of MS in all regards, from Gamepass to UWP, forced updates and their push for 70$ games. Not sure it's reasonable to have high expectation of this.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
the real big question: can ms now pay mick gordon enough to come back and make more doom music?

edit: wait....doomguy in killer instinct 2 :unsure:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I'm not super happy about MS's buying spree. Instead of creating value and jobs, establishing studios and all, they are acquiring them. The consolidation worries me.

On the other hand, this is Zenimax we're talking about.

I'm still pretty hostile and distrustful of MS in all regards, from Gamepass to UWP, forced updates and their push for 70$ games. Not sure it's reasonable to have high expectation of this.
To be fair studios that MS acquired went on hiring sprees post buy out. They ARE creating jobs.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
To be fair studios that MS acquired went on hiring sprees post buy out. They ARE creating jobs.
Good point. Still, the point about establishing new studios instead of acquiring them stands. This industry is already dwindling in numbers there.

I guess I just don't like this trend of buying talent houses instead of building them. But most of all, I'm worried about Gamepass and subscription services becoming too big. You can bet this industry is just salivating at the idea of removing customer ownership.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Microsoft will buy Nintendo next.
If this happened I'd most likely stop following gaming news and searching for new games. Just smaller steam games and my existing libraries on the PS4, PC and PS3. I'd of course cancel gamepass, swear off xbox everything and ditch any hope of getting a PS5.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.