Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Takes deep breath
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In other news, I like Sol Divide but dang, final level(s) restart if you lose all your life in it XO

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Oh God, the meltdown on the other place.

🍿

They have money for it lol.
Its funny but a bit sad too.

Funny because so much made of the PS5 preorder businiess and M$ just detonated Caste Bravo all over the next console gen.

Sad because PS5's value just got detonated into oblivion, bc by year 3 and 4, the third party support will be completely gutted.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I wont trust Microsoft in the PC gaming space until they make Black and White, Freelancer, and The Movies available again.
To be honest I'd rather see them stopping with game file encryption. I still find it hard to trust Microsoft. They have been making pro-consumer moves in the past few years because Sony kicked their ass. But I'm afraid what will happen if they become the most successful console manufacturer. I'm not convinced they won't ever pull d*ck moves again, like pulling their games from Steam, pushing paid mods or requiring Game Pass Ultimate to play online on pc.

Deleted member 113

While I dislike Sony, their disgusting practices with exclusive-content, and much of the moves they pulled against SEGA and Nintendo early in their console-maker days (and, I really don't care for their first-party titles either), and I wouldn't shed a tear to see them crash and burn, I really don't like seeing gaming companies pulling a Disney, especially when one such company is Microsoft.

People really seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Microsoft, if they are labelling them "good guys".
While it's great they currently have a "benign" strategy when it comes to PC, that can change at any time. It already did in the past, multiple times, and they can easily lock all of these developers to their own platform at any time.

Also, I should mention I did own an Xbox 360, and it was one of the most insulting, and terrible experiences I had with any console.
The library of games was great (Project Gotham Racing 4, Crackdown, Dead Rising (at the time it was an exclusive), ...), the online services/interface/... left a positive impression, but everything else was a mess.
First, the actual console was broken. Really, there's not other way to describe that whole "red rings" mess. I have all my consoles still working (some approaching 40 years), with no problems. In my house-hold, and despite being well taken care of, my brother had to send his console to be fixed twice (and, each time he clearly received a refurbished console that had another problem; for example, he sent one with a graphics card problem, and received back one whose disc drive was extremely noisy, and stopped working a few months later; for each repair, he had to pay). I bought a console for myself, and just as soon as their warranty for the "red rings" problem ended, my console broke down (and remained, because I refused to pay a ridiculous amount to fix a problem that was clearly on the design and manufacturing of the console). The only console I owned that stopped working.
Additionally, and even worse, despite living in an European country, and buying hundreds of games (between "full" games, and digital "arcade" titles), I was constantly treated like a third-rate customer. There were plenty of content, and services, I couldn't access. For example, we never had access to the indie marketplace games.
Worse, I found myself unable to buy some games and DLCs, because of whatever unexplained reason. Take Crackdown. I rather enjoyed the game, and when a DLC for the game was announced, I placed funds in my wallet to buy it on day one. But, despite being a first-party title, they never released the DLC in Portugal (and Germany, but the game was banned there). Imagine living in the European Union, buying a game, and then having the Digital DLCs for the game available everywhere, except where you live, with no explanation.

So yeah, is a company that couldn't care less about customers outside of the US, the UK, and barely anywhere else, a company we want to have owning many of the great studios? Definitely not.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
This is the perfect summary.

Its funny but a bit sad too.

Funny because so much made of the PS5 preorder businiess and M$ just detonated Caste Bravo all over the next console gen.

Sad because PS5's value just got detonated into oblivion, bc by year 3 and 4, the third party support will be completely gutted.
Not really, they still have their own exclusives and timed deals.
While I dislike Sony, their disgusting practices with exclusive-content, and much of the moves they pulled against SEGA and Nintendo early in their console-maker days (and, I really don't care for their first-party titles either), and I wouldn't shed a tear to see them crash and burn, I really don't like seeing gaming companies pulling a Disney, especially when one such company is Microsoft.

People really seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Microsoft, if they are labelling them "good guys".
While it's great they currently have a "benign" strategy when it comes to PC, that can change at any time. It already did in the past, multiple times, and they can easily lock all of these developers to their own platform at any time.

Also, I should mention I did own an Xbox 360, and it was one of the most insulting, and terrible experiences I had with any console.
The library of games was great (Project Gotham Racing 4, Crackdown, Dead Rising (at the time it was an exclusive), ...), the online services/interface/... left a positive impression, but everything else was a mess.
First, the actual console was broken. Really, there's not other way to describe that whole "red rings" mess. I have all my consoles still working (some approaching 40 years), with no problems. In my house-hold, and despite being well taken care of, my brother had to send his console to be fixed twice (and, each time he clearly received a refurbished console that had another problem; for example, he sent one with a graphics card problem, and received back one whose disc drive was extremely noisy, and stopped working a few months later; for each repair, he had to pay). I bought a console for myself, and just as soon as their warranty for the "red rings" problem ended, my console broke down (and remained, because I refused to pay a ridiculous amount to fix a problem that was clearly on the design and manufacturing of the console). The only console I owned that stopped working.
Additionally, and even worse, despite living in an European country, and buying hundreds of games (between "full" games, and digital "arcade" titles), I was constantly treated like a third-rate customer. There were plenty of content, and services, I couldn't access. For example, we never had access to the indie marketplace games.
Worse, I found myself unable to buy some games and DLCs, because of whatever unexplained reason. Take Crackdown. I rather enjoyed the game, and when a DLC for the game was announced, I placed funds in my wallet to buy it on day one. But, despite being a first-party title, they never released the DLC in Portugal (and Germany, but the game was banned there). Imagine living in the European Union, buying a game, and then having the Digital DLCs for the game available everywhere, except where you live, with no explanation.

So yeah, is a company that couldn't care less about customers outside of the US, the UK, and barely anywhere else, a company we want to have owning many of the great studios? Definitely not.
Exclusivity contracts, timed exclusivities, and studio acquisition always bring harm to overall gamers, no matter who did it. Too bad tribalism is really strong in console war.

Deleted member 113

It's probably not a great thing, but hey, anything that makes New Vegas 2 more likely to happen is a good thing in my selfish book.
While that would be great, if Microsoft wants to make me buy one of their consoles, they need to revive Freelancer, and have Obsidian make a sequel to Arcanum. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reactions: Mivey

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
The feeling of schadenfreude is immense. As someone who games exclusively on PC this acquisition doesn't bother me in the slightest, and seeing all the Sony fans who were celebrating not too long ago lose their shit is hilarious. Maybe this will finally teach people that exclusives are ultimately not good for consumers (but probably not).

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
The feeling of schadenfreude is immense. As someone who games exclusively on PC this acquisition doesn't bother me in the slightest, and seeing all the Sony fans who were celebrating not too long ago lose their shit is hilarious. Maybe this will finally teach people that exclusives are ultimately not good for consumers (but probably not).
It's only okay when Sony is the one doing it. Please understand (and pre-order a PS5).

The big meltdowns will happen when more and more Sony AAA games will come to PC. That day is going to be magical.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I only play on PC and I am very worried. I mean, I remember the times of all of their PC "endeavors", I remember UWP, I remember forced updates on Windows 10 and FS2020's US-centric pricing. As in, making the rest of the world pay more. I remember their forcing users to update to 10 from 7 with near-illegal tactics based on Windows Update.

I never wanted neither Sony nor Microsoft to grow more prominent in the wider gaming landscapes and having Console manufacturers, having proponents of walled gardens making people pay for online functionalities just because they can, own more and more studios is really scary for me.

Consoles have fostered some of the most toxic business models and I hate how they are trickling down to the PC. I really struggle to see this acquisition in a positive light :(.

Deleted member 113

The new Microsoft consoles open pre-orders tomorrow, and I see people worried about missing out on one. And the Sony consoles recently opened pre-orders, and are "sold out" at many places already.

An honest question: why are people running to pre-order these consoles at launch? Is it just to have a shiny new toy on the first day?
I mean, from what I read, I don't see either platform having a particularly big, or strong launch line-up of titles (which makes sense, considering the crazy year we're having; many titles were surely delayed, so the launch line-up in rather poor, particularly compared to previous generations).
So, why are people still buying them on day one (or day -1), when there won't be much to play?

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

I want to point out that these numbers aren't comparable this way and attempting to draw any sort of relation between them is misleading.

One is profit and the other is the total worth of a company. We should probably compare net worth of the two companies here which might be more instructive of their size.

2019 saw Sony bring in $18.72 billion in revenue, with a NET WORTH OF ~$45 Billion. (depends where you look).
2020 Zenimax is obviously valued at $7.5 billion as that's what MS paid for the whole thing.

So this is probably a closer comparison. Zenimax is MUCH smaller of the two here. However, lets look at the Microsoft Net Worth: ~$1 Trillion USD (depends on when you look at the stock price).

So uhh.... these aren't exactly level playing fields. And obviously Playstation/Xbox are not the entire company of Sony/MS, but that 7.5Billion number IS the entire company of Zenimax. It's hard to compare because we don't know exactly how much money is in the entire Xbox division or entire Playstation Division. But we can see that MS is gigantically huge compared to Sony, and probably by extension, the Sony console business is a bigger part of Sony corporate as a whole than Xbox is at MS.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Oh I already have my popcorn ready for Bloodborne PC announcement :evilblob:
Still banking on that one. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.
Queen (an insder around these parts) has also made public a list of SIE games heading to PC in the soonish future (2021 probably).

This is going to be good, very good. Assuming it materializes of course.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
as someone concerned with potential corporate overreach, i'm concerned. as a game pass subscriber i do like more toys to play with...so it's a mixed thing for me lol
How's modding on Gamepass?

I'm aware that they have enabled it earlier this year, but I wonder if there's more to it than the regular modding.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
The new Microsoft consoles open pre-orders tomorrow, and I see people worried about missing out on one. And the Sony consoles recently opened pre-orders, and are "sold out" at many places already.

An honest question: why are people running to pre-order these consoles at launch? Is it just to have a shiny new toy on the first day?
I mean, from what I read, I don't see either platform having a particularly big, or strong launch line-up of titles (which makes sense, considering the crazy year we're having; many titles were surely delayed, so the launch line-up in rather poor, particularly compared to previous generations).
So, why are people still buying them on day one (or day -1), when there won't be much to play?
Fanboys and people who love to get the shiniest stuff to brag.

Backward compatibility.

Reactions: Tomasety

Deleted member 113

I want to point out that these numbers aren't comparable this way and attempting to draw any sort of relation between them is misleading.

One is profit and the other is the total worth of a company. We should probably compare net worth of the two companies here which might be more instructive of their size.

2019 saw Sony bring in $18.72 billion in revenue, with a NET WORTH OF ~$45 Billion. (depends where you look).
2020 Zenimax is obviously valued at $7.5 billion as that's what MS paid for the whole thing.

So this is probably a closer comparison. Zenimax is MUCH smaller of the two here. However, lets look at the Microsoft Net Worth: ~$1 Trillion USD (depends on when you look at the stock price).
I don't think that's the logic implied here.
From what I take of the tweet, they are saying Microsoft paid 3+ times more for Zenimax, what the entire profits of the year were for the PS division at Sony.
I'm not sure anyone is under the impression that Zenimax is bigger than Sony. What's implied here, is that Microsoft is a much "stronger" company, in the sense that it can spend all this money, several times what its competitor is earning yearly, on a single company.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
How's modding on Gamepass?

I'm aware that they have enabled it earlier this year, but I wonder if there's more to it than the regular modding.
i'm not really sure, tbh. i do know its on a game by game basis and you have to go into the xbox app and flip a switch to enable mods but i don't know how they get installed to the game.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Now not only will you need beth launcher, you'll have to go to ms store to get it. When was the last time you enjoyed using ms store?
How that decision was made:
Boys, are we going to Vegas this weekend or are we buying zenimax and all their shit?

-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-We've been doing Vegas for years now, let's buy some shit. This decision is final.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Now not only will you need beth launcher, you'll have to go to ms store to get it. When was the last time you enjoyed using ms store?
How that decision was made:
Boys, are we going to Vegas this weekend or are we buying zenimax and all their shit?

-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-Vegas
-We've been doing Vegas for years now, let's buy some shit. This decision is final.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
I have good news for you. Bethesda launcher is practically dead now and with Microsofts commitment to Steam: The only thing to worry about are inflated Flight Simulator like prices.
But future game pass got a lot more attractive.

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
First thing that came to mind after hearing the news wasn't "Holy fucking shit WHAT" but "Fuck Beth launcher" hehe

Not a fan of MS owning all these studios and IPs now.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

People always forget that Microsoft is a way bigger company compared to Sony lol.
I wonder if the TikTok deal not working out has something to do with this. Like they already had 50 billion ready to spent on an acquisition and needed something else to fill some of that investment.

Reactions: QFNS

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I wonder if the TikTok deal not working out has something to do with this. Like they already had 50 billion ready to spent on an acquisition and needed something else to fill some of that investment.
Might have something to do with US government vs Tencent.

Reactions: Cacher and Mivey

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i feel like this was probably in the works before that. was interesting to see a bunch of bethesda games hit game pass at the beginning of the year, including wolf youngblood which was pretty new at the time. i wonder if that was a test run to see what kind of numbers those games would get on the service.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety
Status
Not open for further replies.