Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Are the MGS ports fixed? I actually recently played MGS2S, it needed a fan fix and I still had to remove some graphics options (dof or motion blur related, something like that) because they caused artifacts like permanent trails and didn't work correctly. It was fully playable and just fine outside that but yeah.
nope ... they didn't even bother including the fan fix

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Are the MGS ports fixed? I actually recently played MGS2S, it needed a fan fix and I still had to remove some graphics options (dof or motion blur related, something like that) because they caused artifacts like permanent trails and didn't work correctly. It was fully playable and just fine outside that but yeah.
Nope, but I generally use fan mods 90% of the time with such games, so I don't mind :lampblob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sucks, without the fix performance was awful in certain parts like where you have to get around all those marines in the tanker. And I think it was 4:3 regardless.

And like said it wasn't perfect with the fix either. They should fix those effects at least. I think some of its fixes were experimental/not for all new hardware either.

Edit: also no controller support without the fix? Or at least it had some big improvements to make in regards to that iirc. I forget, it wasn't too recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and ISee

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I think in terms of a GOG option for preservation of classic games it's adequate. Considering how few fucks Konami gives at this point, you might even call it fine.

There will always be better options to play these games, but now you have a DRM free base on PC and maybe an incentive for further games to come.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Kinda weird to put MG1, MGS and MGS2 but not MG2. If they had just released MGS3/HD Collection, both would've been included. :weary-face:

Also that Verge article claims the MGS2 version in the HD Collection isn't Substance but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Tried checking on my Vita but it was completely dead. Charging it now...

edit: Yeah no need to finish charging it, just found a youtube video of someone playing the Snake Tales on the HD Collection. Those were added in Substance...

Reactions: QFNS

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Lol, guess I'm throwing out my boxed copy of MGS2 for the PC bc it has lost all value.

Unless some fool here wants to display it?

Also note, I'm tossing all of my PC gaming big boxes and other sizes. If someone in the US wants something, I'll let them know what I have. Already tossed the majority of my PS3 game cases yesterday.

• Love
Reactions: PC-tan

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I've been waiting all day to play Mafia but turns out I still have shit to do. :cryblob:

I hope I'll be able to play a couple of hours (yeah... sure) before bed.

• Sad
Reactions: ISee

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Man I'm getting old, I couldn't remember where the Metal Cap was located in Mario 64

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Valhalla looks far less interesting than Odyssey and Origins and Valhalla even partly takes place in my country (Norway).

Reactions: Alexandros
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Not a lot of options to change, not even a vsync toggle. Capped to 60fps. Has bad framepacing that can be fixed by Special K. Forced 60hz at fullscreen.
But at least the devs are responding and opened a bug report thread.
dang ... here's hoping they fix all of that ... eventually

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Lol, guess I'm throwing out my boxed copy of MGS2 for the PC bc it has lost all value.

Also note, I'm tossing all of my PC gaming big boxes and other sizes. If someone in the US wants something, I'll let them know what I have. Already tossed the majority of my PS3 game cases yesterday.
There are collectors that would pay good money just for the boxes, never mind manuals and the game itself.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Took me a little over an hour to beat Panzer Dragoon on normal. The game has a low budget feel to it, sound effects in particular are very weak. Cutscenes are awkwardly animated and directed. Visuals are nice enough and the music too. Don't forget to force v-sync.
I hope the Zwei remake is better.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Buh, don't get Panzer Dragoon: Remake, feels cheap as all, disappointing even after lowered expectations after the switch feedback. Baleeted from my library.

Edit: oh, what he said, lol. I don't get why they remade the FMV if they were gonna half ass it so bad.

The graphics aren't great, yeah there are more details (duh) but no effort in making stuff look like they have a real purpose to be made in this manner. Ie no paths and what not at the fortifications and cities and structures, you expected that stuff to be missing on Saturn but not when you can render this much geometry.

Some of the issues are in the original but they should have been fixed nonetheless, like the camera views in certain parts or how artificially it limits locking on.

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Can’t look for the exact version numbers right now but if you have the latest AMD Chipset driver you might want to skip the latest nvidia driver update because there’s apparently a conflict that causes low GPU usage and fps drops.

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao

Deleted member 113

This really wasn't my day.

I was hoping to play a bit of Mafia: Definitive Edition, but unfortunately it doesn't work on Windows 7.
In fact, for some reason it seems the developers went out of their way to make it so the whole trilogy doesn't work on Windows 7 any more, when Mafia 2 and 3 used to play perfectly fine (for example, for some idiotic reason Mafia 2: Definitive Edition doesn't work on Windows 7, unless I go to the Windows directory, and copy one of the files to the Mafia 2 game folder; with that, not only it launches, but plays with everything maxed-out at ridiculous frame-rates, so it really was an artificial barrier placed, nothing more).

I was unable to sell any cards on the Steam marketplace, like I've been doing for 2-3 weeks, because I can't log-in to the Steam mobile app (I have an old Samsung phone, and the Steam app wasn't accessing the internet; I had to log-out, and when I try to log-in, nothing happens; I'm back at the screen to insert the log-in data).

After hours and hours failing to access the Steam mobile app, I gave up, and went to play one of the games I bought using the funds from selling these Steam cards, Ginga Force.
The game... don't run on Windows 7 (despite being a port that uses... direct x 9, so it seems like it's another game artificially locking the use of Windows 7).

I guess it finally reached the point where I can't play new releases with this OS.
I mean, Cyberpunk 2077 will support it, but a lot of companies apparently have something against the OS, and won't support it, even when the games use directx 9 or directx 10.

Deleted member 113

maybe it's time to upgrade?
I guess so, but with the few free time I have, it really bothers me to have to go buy an external drive to backup everything in my disks, and then spend a day or so doing backups, installing a new OS, and configuring things.
Plus, I'm not sure there's any free upgrade options left (this OS was a free license for University students, that a friend's sister, at the time a student, gave me), so there's that additional cost.
All, to play a handful of new games. Yes, because I can do everything else with my current OS, especially in terms of work.

And naturally, considering Microsoft launched three OSs in 10 years or so, I have to cross my fingers they decide to support this OS a little longer, otherwise I'll have a further expense.

I really need to watch more films, and spend less time gaming.
I mean, why in the hell do I need to upgrade my OS, to play a directx 9 port of a title (Ginga Force) that is almost 10 years old, that was released for the Xbox 360, and whose graphics look like crap?

To quote a certain character:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I mean, why in the hell do I need to upgrade my OS, to play a directx 9 port of a title (Ginga Force) that is almost 10 years old, that was released for the Xbox 360, and whose graphics look like crap?
yeah, i get that ... but on the other hand - MS stopped supporting win7 last year (or was it this year?) ... so it's not just "to play a few games" ... it's also about security and stuff

Deleted member 113

Any suggestions on how fix my log-in issues with the Steam mobile authenticator on my old, crappy phone?

I keep inserting the log-in data, and... nothing happens (it's as if I refreshed the screen).
Searching around, I see people saying the android mobile app sometimes doesn't like long passwords.
I would try changing the password for something shorter, but when I go to the Steam client to change the password, the main method to reset the password is by... sending a message to my mobile app (the one I'm currently unable to access). And, the alternatives would basically reset my authenticator, and lock me out of the community market for at least a week.

Yeah, besides an older OS, I also use an old as hell Samsung phone, one that takes ages to open a single website (when it actually opens it). :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I really don't get it. Yeah, the phone is crappy, but the Steam app works ok. But today, I've been unable to log-in all day. :confounded-face:

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
See if you can put a custom rom with a slightly newer android version on it. If you upgrade to W10 make sure to grab the ultimate or w.e it is called as you can shut down a lot of the telemetry and monitoring stuff.

Try clearing cache for the app on your phone. My wife's phone which is like android 5 still works.

Also best time to lock your self out is when there isn't a sale about go on.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

Please choose me and let me know what else you have and we might be able to negotiate a price

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Ginga Force is legit. It feels like a game from an alternate universe where shmups made the transition to consoles gracefully instead of just porting over arcade design. Instead of a 30-60 minute campaign designed for a single sitting, Ginga Force instead separates itself out into 10 stages, each designed to be cleared separately, and so far the stages already have a lot of variety. First level has a boss swoop in multiple types through the stage so you can break more parts off him before the final encounter, and the second stage has you wounding (but not destroying) haywire security drones and dodging weird laser traps (that wrecked me). He also has a wonderful attack pattern where he grabs other enemies and shakes them around to make them shoot at you (using their normal patterns, but with a faster firing rate).

There's also a progression system in-between stages. You get cash for destroying enemies, and you have a shop with alternate main weapons, sub weapons, special weapons, ship engine types, and recolors. I don't want to say it's necessarily better than the arcade format, but it feels so much more modern, and in a really good way. It doesn't sacrifice difficulty or turn itself into some euroshmup in pursuit of being a better fit for home systems.

The game also has some bad anime artwork to go along with its story (which seems terrible so far), and it's absolutely charming. It's the sort of "we don't have a budget, but we're doing our best!" aesthetic that I can't help but enjoy.

Real good, go play it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Even XBox is onto Vtubers as well. Resistance is futile. :coffee-blob:

From what I recall a number of smaller Japanese publishers had their own VTubers including IFFY (or was it complile heart?), I'm not sure what happened to them.

As I said before MS very likely could make a much greater use out of VTubers than Sony probably ever could (or even Nintendo for that fact, I guess that Nintendo could make some "VTubers" since they unlike Sony have active personalities that talk about games and such, in North America they have Nintendo Minute and the in Japan they have those two dude.

Or actually is PS Underground an official Sony thing? If so then never mind and they act similar to Nintendo Minute. I remember that before during the PSP era, I think Sony would post videos to PSN with this one girl talking about stuff, I guess they got rid of it since that format just was not that popular.

Going back to MS, well they at least mentioned something about Holo Live English on their main twitter, outside of the PS5 Japan thing that may be the only thing so far that Sony has done with VTubers? Or have they done some bigger stuff in the past?

VTubers play a number of different games and while they do play AAA Japanese and western games I don't think that's what some of the most popular ones do, but rather they play multiplayer focused games.

Okay so here is a thought MS just add Japanese support to your games. I don't think that a lot of the more popular VTubers are that well versed in English, they may know some words and stuff but I'm not sure they would be able to follow along with game instructions and stuff that are only in English.

Just think of it, Sea of thieves could have helped Xbox in Japan, hell get a One Piece collaboration going. The VTubers typically play on PC but also play on consoles as well but PC mainly seems to be their thing.

I don't think any of the Japanese VTubers have been playing Among Us despite how insanely popular the game is, hell it's a phone game!!!!!!!!!! I know that mobile in King in Japan and mobage and all of that is popular there with Waifus and Husbandos but if the game had Japanese support maybe more people would play it there? The Japanese new site that I follow talked about playing the game and it not having Japanese support and when choosing a language he choose English and when trying to talk to people he had issues and well got kicked out more or less because of that (eliminated). So that would keep Japanese players that don't feel to confident about their English from playing the game.

Now look at Fall Guys that's was also very popular in Japan it had native Japanese support, Sony gave it away as part of PS+ and you saw a lot of people talking about it there.

Look at helltaker it was released without Japanese support, it got a fan translation and became popular and got a lot of fan art.

VTubers and fan art MS that's how your going to get those Xbox numbers up in Japan. There is a lot more to it but ya they could make great use of that.

So Sea of Thieves, MSFS, and grounded don't have Japanese support and all of those will be playable on the new Xbox and are a part of Gamepass, a missed opportunity MS. Since Japan doesn't even get to play some of the first party titles.

Am I just crazy for thinking this?

I mean you have seen what streamers and all of that have done for Steam and all the unusual Indies that are on that regular main stream publications would not really talk to much about.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I don't think any of the Japanese VTubers have been playing Among Us despite how insanely popular the game is, hell it's a phone game!!!!!!!!!! I know that mobile in King in Japan and mobage and all of that is popular there with Waifus and Husbandos but if the game had Japanese support maybe more people would play it there? The Japanese new site that I follow talked about playing the game and it not having Japanese support and when choosing a language he choose English and when trying to talk to people he had issues and well got kicked out more or less because of that (eliminated). So that would keep Japanese players that don't feel to confident about their English from playing the game.
Nope. It's just because most vtubers are lonely otaku. :crying-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: PC-tan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I saw some screenshots of Serious Sam 4. In some cases it looks amazing and in other looks like absolute dogshit. Might get the game soon.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.