Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

What is even the point of that crappy Castlevania & Contra collection, when you can easily buy:

And get multiple times the amount of games included, in much better quality, and with extras?

I really don't understand Konami.
If they didn't want to bother with any work on these Metal Gear re-releases, they could at least get in touch with, say, Nightdive Studios, who would at least add some proper options to the game.
Instead, we get the usual GOG job, where they get the games working on modern OS, and call it a day.

It boggles my mind that they naturally know there's an interest from PC players in these titles, and instead of putting in some effort, they re-release some old, crappy ports as is.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It boggles my mind that they naturally know there's an interest from PC players in these titles, and instead of putting in some effort, they re-release some old, crappy ports as is.
gog gets the old crap ... steam gets the brand new collection :smart-thinking-blob:

in all honesty, though - it was probably gog who asked konami, not the other way around ... so they did it the cheapest way possible

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The gall.
  • Hey, can you help, I just had this unexpected invoice and won't be able to eat if we add it to the debt payments.
  • You should have saved money when you didn't have to pay.
  • Excuse me for eating.
Yep that's europe, or at least what I remember of it. Condescending, judgmental and dehumanizing. If you aren't thriving it's your own fault, and society has no flaws whatsoever nor is systemically failing.

I'm sorry you had an asshole talk at you like that :(. The victim blaming for being poor is real.

Deleted member 113

gog gets the old crap ... steam gets the brand new collection :smart-thinking-blob:
You know what: I would be happy with the old games. I don't necessarily need remakes or big remasters.
But at least, have teams that are ready to put some effort on these re-releases.

The guys at GOG simply are not it. They get way too much credit for what frequently amounts to taking fan patches/mods/fixes, applying it to their games, and selling as is.
Fortunately, there are teams around that take older games, and put in some work to get them running as well as possible, with some quality of life improvements (if one desires to use them), like Nightdive. Their work in, say, the Strife re-release was top notch (and they even recently updated the port to include some beta content, so players could try work-in-progress versions of the original game).

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You know what: I would be happy with the old games. I don't necessarily need remakes or big remasters.
But at least, have teams that are ready to put some effort on these re-releases.

The guys at GOG simply are not it. They get way too much credit for what frequently amounts to taking fan patches/mods/fixes, applying it to their games, and selling as is.
Fortunately, there are teams around that take older games, and put in some work to get them running as well as possible, with some quality of life improvements (if one desires to use them), like Nightdive. Their work in, say, the Strife re-release was top notch (and they even recently updated the port to include some beta content, so players could try work-in-progress versions of the original game).
yeah, i know ... it definitely would be nice, for sure

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hey people ! Thanks for the nice reactions to my last few posts, every little bit helps.
Good news, I could budget [UWSL]over-indebtedness AND tax backlog ![/UWSL]
[UWSL]Bad news, this is very theoretical and a little supermarket run misstep will put the thing in shambles, but hey, it's budgeted.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Games, hardware, everything will be very fun for the next four months.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]And my final point, after that I will try to post elsewhere, I swear :[/UWSL]
[UWSL]I would have difficulty to put into word how utterly soul crushing this shit is. This feeling of having your head underwater and some motherfucker comes and pushes on it some more.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]I'm not the best saver, for personal reasons that could be evident for those that followed my posts, but for fuck's sake these last few months I tried. I really tried.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]In December, if all was going well, I could finally get out of overdraft. No small feat considering my situation.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]Now everything is fucked again.[/UWSL]

I shouldn't have expected nice things. Back to selling my old stuff in the hope to pay for some extra.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I wonder if they'll only be available on gog. I mean Blade Runner & Diablo aren't on Steam either. Old ports anyway I guess...
Blade Runner will come to Steam tho one Nightdive releases their version (already confirmed, right?)
Diablo was a deal between GOG and Blizz cause' Blizz was ditching their older stuff so yeah, that won't come

As for MGS, might be timed, might be complete but in any case, GOG is good enough so if you want to replay the originals, go for it, at worst you might double dip with a 20-25€ transaction in 6 months-1 year.

Deleted member 113

[UWSL]Games, hardware, everything will be very fun for the next four months.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]And my final point, after that I will try to post elsewhere, I swear :[/UWSL]
[UWSL]I would have difficulty to put into word how utterly soul crushing this shit is. This feeling of having your head underwater and some motherfucker comes and pushes on it some more.[/UWSL]
I'm a bad example in terms of spending money, but when I need to cut back, I do so. :)
It's not always easy, but you need to start using more of the stuff you already have, and spend less time and money on new stuff that's coming out.
You can't let missing out on a video-game, or a console, get you down. That's meaningless crap.
To quote that lovable chap Norman Bates from Psycho: «A hobby should pass the time, not fill it.». ;)

As you know, I buy a lot of games (and films) most of the times.
But, that's only possible because I'm good at saving money in other places, and I cut back on my spending when needed. I would never compromise my quality of life (food, or whatever) for a videogame or a blu-ray release.
I don't buy a home console since the Wii (except the PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini). I don't own VR hardware. I buy a new PC every 10-12 years, and I change my graphics card only when they broke down, or I simply can't run things any longer (I have a GTX 1600 6gb, and that's what I'll be rocking for the years to come; I don't feel the need to crank everything at maximum at 4K to play games). For 15 years or so, I had a 1680x1050 monitor, which I only replaced this year, after the old one broke down. With my salary, I can't possibly always be on the cutting edge of videogames hardware, so honestly, I don't even try.

You can't let these small things get you down. :cat-heart-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wise words ! I would say that it's more the accumulation of 'can't buy' that is bringing me down than any specific purchase.
The social [UWSL]downgrading, shit like that.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]On the bright side Covid has done a number on game releases, new consoles are of dubious interest, and the mid-life crisis that I'm living through see me being less interested in games. So yeah, it could be worse.[/UWSL]

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

I think when gog moved away from being Good Old Games, a lot of the original push to rework older games started falling to the publishers/Nightdive's of the community instead. I'm disappointed it's not the HD Legacy, but it's better than nothing. I can still use RPCS3 for the others until such time as gog gets the rest.

edit: also cautiously optimistic the Mafia remake is good and not just good looking.

Deleted member 113

I would say that it's more the accumulation of 'can't buy' that is bringing me down than any specific purchase.
I occasionally suffer a bit from that when it comes to collecting films (I spend a lot more money on film releases, than videogames), since it's impossible to get all the limited editions of the numerous titles I'm interested.

But I usually have a good antidote for that. I look around, realize I have a ridiculous amount of crap than I'm yet to watch, and I replace the "can't buy" thoughts with "I don't have time to watch everything, so why buy?". :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The Werewolf game is EGS, right ? The World of Darkness game.
Just taking a glance and yeah, releases are sparse, at least those whose name I recognize :fearful-face:

Deleted member 113

There's a lot of great games currently on sale, mostly because of the Tokyo Game Show.

If anyone is looking for some great sub-5€ "metroidvania" titles to play, and don't own them already, these two get my highest recommendation:

(Pharaoh Rebirth has stages, but each one has a map to explore, sub-bosses, ..., so it still has plenty of metroidvania elements and map exploration, but in several smaller maps, instead of a single big one)

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
wait so Marfia 1 DE is out now. did that discount ever go lower then like the $0.06 it was at lol

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The Werewolf game is EGS, right ? The World of Darkness game.
Just taking a glance and yeah, releases are sparse, at least those whose name I recognize :fearful-face:
Yes it is, the non VN game anyway. It's hard to keep track of just how many WoD games are coming out under Werewolf and Vampire these days

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
wait so Marfia 1 DE is out now. did that discount ever go lower then like the $0.06 it was at lol
I mean; It's a 40€ game to begin with.
You can find it for 32€ over at CDkeys.com. That's like a 20% permanent discount.

Deleted member 113

Has there been any actual new titles shown at the Tokyo Game Show?

All I see is the same old previously shown trailers, gameplay footage of already announced titles, and Sega announcing a Virtua Fighter e-sports competition, with no details, and no new game announced.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
There's a lot of great games currently on sale, mostly because of the Tokyo Game Show.

If anyone is looking for some great sub-5€ "metroidvania" titles to play, and don't own them already, these two get my highest recommendation:

(Pharaoh Rebirth has stages, but each one has a map to explore, sub-bosses, ..., so it still has plenty of metroidvania elements and map exploration, but in several smaller maps, instead of a single big one)
Those are excellent games, they have my recommendation as well ;)

Has there been any actual new titles shown at the Tokyo Game Show?

All I see is the same old previously shown trailers, gameplay footage of already announced titles, and Sega announcing a Virtua Fighter e-sports competition, with no details, and no new game announced.
It seems Covid has hit hard the development of many Japanese games. At some point there is going to be a drought of incoming games, the silver lining is that it will help to reduce the backlog somehow (for many) :p

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland

Not what some people expected but it's a new partnership between Sega and Paradox.

Google Translate does well the job for those who don't want to deal with it:
I was wondering why during the Sega show, Empire of Sin trailer was shown but only mentioned PS4 and Switch and not Steam. Now it makes sense - Sega handles publishing of the console versions in the region, while Paradox continues to self-publish on PC.

Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Mike Rose relearning the lessons Gabe put out with early Steam sales in 2011.

"We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.” GN 2011

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hey ya all, I got a spare key for Zynet, anyone want it? It's a cool tron looking and unique VR game. Who has VR?
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
Won it on twitter. Review it if you get it!

Last edited:

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018

Fiiiiinally. This is REALLY exciting. I'm glad they are rebooting this franchise! playing on parsec/RPCS3 is neat but man, would be awesome to get a PC version of any of the VF games...that aren't attached to Yakuza...

Reactions: Arsene

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018

it's out ... and seems to be using volvo's suggested regional pricing across the board ... which i can only imagine is a mistake on their part

so if you wanted to get it - NOW would be a very good time
I looked at the other games from the publisher and they all have good regional pricing, at least in Argentina.
I gonna wait, I hope I am not wrong

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Are the MGS ports fixed? I actually recently played MGS2S, it needed a fan fix and I still had to remove some graphics options (dof or motion blur related, something like that) because they caused artifacts like permanent trails and didn't work correctly. It was fully playable and just fine outside that but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.