Community MetaSteam | September 2021 - Welcome to Punxsutawney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I see you have been playing The Witness with RTX ON, and you have reached the final room of the game.

why would nvidia have such advance knowledge of all this though?
Nvidia may help with cloud gaming for demos at conferences, and play-tests (especially with work-from-home) to make sure that no build can be leaked. Plus, they have to communicate with platforms and publishers to support games on release day on Geforce Now. Maybe, add some telemetry with GeForce Experience to the pot, e.g. I know Microsoft's GameBar acquires info about my playtime for games which are neither from their store nor on GamePass.

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Here I am trying to patiently wait to play Deathloop and you guys keep making it harder with those screenshots and glowing impressions. Evilllll!!!!

Also, finally got my second jab. But thanks to my wonderful and organized government, I'm now member of the very weird "took first dose of Astrazenica and second one of Pfizer" club..

Maybe it will increase my chances of getting mutant powers... because so far I haven't got any :(

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Here I am trying to patiently wait to play Deathloop and you guys keep making it harder with those screenshots and glowing impressions. Evilllll!!!!

Also, finally got my second jab. But thanks to my wonderful and organized government, I'm now member of the very weird "took first dose of Astrazenica and second one of Pfizer" club..

Maybe it will increase my chances of getting mutant powers... because so far I haven't got any :(
One more week and I'll go and gorge on Olive Garden's free breadsticks and soup.

• Gib
Reactions: Digoman

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
One more week and I'll go and gorge on Olive Garden's free breadsticks and soup.
god i wish i could gorge on the olive garden's free breadsticks and soup
but no, on the few days i live alone every week, i must either dine on food i brang from home, the same "already-done-chicken-heated-on-pan-with-soy-sauce + rice", or a box of Fjordland (which are pretty good, but they're a bit expensive)

i miss youth

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!

if it helps the game is a broken mess

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I am enjoying Deathloop from a gameplay and story perspective. It's a great-looking game too.

But my god it's buggy. I've had instances where the game just freezes for a second or more, especially outside Colt's apartment. Every time I start the game it keeps resetting my resolution from 4K to 720p. If you don't cap the framerate at 30, 60 or 120fps, you get stutters. And good luck playing the game at locked 120fps. So those of us with 120hz VRR displays get worse performance at 70-90fps than even 30fps unless we explicitly disable that feature, which is plain ridiculous.

It's a great game, but it's definitely come in hot.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I am enjoying Deathloop from a gameplay and story perspective. It's a great-looking game too.

But my god it's buggy. I've had instances where the game just freezes for a second or more, especially outside Colt's apartment. Every time I start the game it keeps resetting my resolution from 4K to 720p. If you don't cap the framerate at 30, 60 or 120fps, you get stutters. And good luck playing the game at locked 120fps. So those of us with 120hz VRR displays get worse performance at 70-90fps than even 30fps unless we explicitly disable that feature, which is plain ridiculous.

Aside from resetting my resolution, I've had all these problems as well. The game .exe stopped responding thrice while I was in Colt's apartment. It fixed itself after 20-30 seconds but still... you do not want things like this to happen in a game you can't save.

I also read that the game engine polls inputs at a fixed 60hz so if your frame rate isn't a multiple of that then you'll get that jittering when your input doesn't sync up with the screen refresh.

The game seems good but it does feel like the PC version is an afterthought. Even the little tutorial videos that are meant to demonstrate how various abilities work and all show PlayStation controller prompts. Not a huge deal, but imagine if it had been the other way around and the console version got PC prompts. It would fail certification. You have to wonder if they ever tested the game on a PC above 60fps because there's no way testers would miss the jittering that occurs at higher frame rates.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Deathloop invasions also seem borked at the moment. Trying to invade just throws you in a loop connecting for several minutes. If you do happen to connect, it usually lags out. I have only been able to invade successfully, one time. I have never been invaded by anyone other than AI despite having online open.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
if it helps the game is a broken mess
Oh I know.... Played a little over 3 hours of it (a lot of it trying to troubleshoot the stutters/jitters). It was somewhat playable but the mouse movement was already getting on my nerves on some of the fights, even though I was liking the game in general.

I'm just trying to "be smart" and wait for some patches and/or workarounds, specially after seeing all the reports of crashes, so I don't spoil what I think can be a pretty great game.

But doing the sensible thing while you have game installed is haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard :p

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I've bough Ring Of Pain sometime ago but only played like once since I didn't really felt it. Probably because I was expecting a classic deckbuilder/card game.
I retried it yesterday and now it clicked, it's a nice game but it's easy from the previews to mistake it for a card game, it is not

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Valheim's Hearth & Home update is live:
Patch 0.202.14 (HEARTH & HOME)
General improvements

• Weapons rebalanced (All weapons have been rebalanced to be more viable as main weapon and also have more unique playstyles)
  • Blocking system overhauled (Current maximum hp now greatly affects your ability to block attacks, stagger bar gui added)
  • Naming tamed creatures
  • Gamepad sensitivity settings
  • Auto-pickup toggle button added
  • Graphics settings (Active point lights & Active point light shadows)
  • Tamed creatures affected by friendly fire setting (i.e you can’t hurt a tamed creature unless you enable friendly fire or use the new Butcher knife item)
  • Various other improvements and bugfixes

Food

• Food rebalance (Most food items now give mainly stamina or mainly health to make food choices more interesting)
  • Food GUI overhauled to work better with the rebalanced food
  • Over 10 new things to eat (Actually 12)

World

• Tamed Lox now have a purpose
  • Slimy locations & creatures added to plains
  • New plantable seeds: Birch, Oak & Onions

Items

• New weapons: Crystal battleaxe, Silver knife
  • New shields: Bone tower shield, Iron buckler
  • Butcher knife (Special weapon for butchering tamed animals)
  • Thunder stone (Sold by trader)
  • Lox accessory

Building

• New Darkwood building pieces like shingle roofs, beams, decorations and more
  • New types of furniture, including but not limited to a mighty stone throne and a steamy viking hot tub
  • Crystal walls
  • New types of stacks to show off your treasure and resources
  • Cauldron improvements: Spice rack, Butcher’s table, Pots and pans
  • Cartography table (For sharing map-data with other players)
  • Oven added (For baking bread and pie)
  • Obliterator added (Items be gone)
  • Iron cooking station (Required to cook some types of meat)
I've only been playing for a month so the new patch seems OK for that timeline (even though it has completely broken balance with the new food system being garbage), but like... that was 8 months to their first "big" update? That's incredibly low output. I could have learned how to 3D-model and made most of this stuff solo in that time. It barely actually adds anything to the game besides, again, making combat more tedious. I am truly confused as to what they are actually doing, they released the game in a decent state and this is like a less than the infamously small Minecraft updates.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Anyone in here recommend the best bang for my buck 144mhz freesync monitor that isn't larger than 27" and isn't over 13lbs? Work situation may soon necessitate getting a new one and I think an upgrade alongside my existing Asus would be a plus. I've heard the Gigabyte M27Q and some LGs are probably good bets, but like to hear from you guys on this.
Monitors in question:
LG 24GN650-B 24” Ultragear
Gigabyte M27Q

May cross-post in the hardware thread as well, but this gets more eyeballs

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Anyone in here recommend the best bang for my buck 144mhz freesync monitor that isn't larger than 27" and isn't over 13lbs? Work situation may soon necessitate getting a new one and I think an upgrade alongside my existing Asus would be a plus. I've heard the Gigabyte M27Q and some LGs are probably good bets, but like to hear from you guys on this.
Monitors in question:
LG 24GN650-B 24” Ultragear
Gigabyte M27Q

May cross-post in the hardware thread as well, but this gets more eyeballs
Its only slightly over your limits (both in terms of weight and screen size), but have you considered the Gigabyte M28U? 4K 144hz + KVM for just a little more than the Gigabyte monitor you're already considering.

Got mine a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way that one devs seems to think that the Steam Deck is pretty cool and hopes that it results in more non-PC users picking one up and leading to them buying PC games which in turn will benefit PC game devs.

In Japan this may be possible since this will likely be sold in stores (but most likely they will be sold out most of the time especially if the base price is under $500USD, the price in Japan will roughly be $70-$120 more than the American price for each tier of the Steam Deck. The thing that the Steam Deck likely won't get is advertisment. There will be displays for it and demo booths at stores but that will likely be the most it gets.

Honestly if VTubers advertise the thing it could get a pretty decent word of mouth thing going for it. Especially for indie games that do have Japanese support but don't release on the N/S until maybe months to years later (yes there are N/S games that have Japanese support but that might not be available in Japan)

I mention that because getting non-PC people to pick one up would be somewhat of a challenge since Steam Is where you would need to order one of these and retail distribution likely would not happen until make later when Valve knows that they can likely ship 2-5 million units.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah I've been catching some Deathloop streams to see if it's worth buying, and it's pretty impressive how stage designs are reused with puzzles with procedural answers that one actually have to pay effort for. Too bad single player content looks abysmal with godawful AI, and multiplayer is non-functional.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Its only slightly over your limits (both in terms of weight and screen size), but have you considered the Gigabyte M28U? 4K 144hz + KVM for just a little more than the Gigabyte monitor you're already considering.

Got mine a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.
I'll look into it, but I'm working more for the limits on my monitor arms so that I don't need to upgrade that too ;)

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Sad to see that Clive Sinclair has died. I never owned a Speccy, however I did have a Vic 20, Electron and then C64 as a kid. It was the whole Microcomputer period that helped my love of gaming and technology. I started gaming in the early 80s thanks to pioneers like him.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Oof. So, there were some people defending the new patch in Valheim and I was wondering if maybe, somehow, I completely missed or misunderstood the new system. But nope! It's just that bad. In the best case scenario, your max health/stamina COMBINED total is down 30-40% compared to last patch, but it's also now all one or the other if you go for that "highest" stat total. Added to that, higher-tier weapons (and tools!) take more stamina to use than lower tier ones, and more than they did last patch. Bows got an even bigger stamina nerf on top of that. Enemies did not get their stats changed at all. A couple of weaker weapons got damage bumps but no where near enough to compensate for the stamina costs.

Oh and that best-case food? Now requires additional supplies to make, and additional steps. And you're expected to carry stamina-spec and health-spec food on you, I guess, so even more inventory space is used up all the time. Combat and gather are both filled with "stand there waiting for stamina to regenerate" now, and are tedious as all hell (on top of the more tedious food system for less reward). Oh, AND shields are worse now than they were before even in their best case scenario.

For all that, after 7 months, we got some new walls/chairs and a couple not-even-current-end-game-tier weapons.

The game was NOT easy before, I had 30 deaths on a character I played co-op with my brother and I was the tank - best armor, best shield, best food, always parrying well, and I still just got mobbed sometimes or something bad happened and died or something or another. Now the game is harder, slower, more tedious, more grindy, and has literally no actual new content. After 7 months.

Even with all the positive review "bombing" because of a patch finally happening, the ratio of negative to positive reviews is pretty staggering. On the day itself it spiked to 1/7 of all reviews and so far on the day after it's 1/4. There were more negative reviews in the past two days than probably the past 4 months combined. That is NOT what you want to see from literally your first "major" patch in EA.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Pommes and Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Oof. So, there were some people defending the new patch in Valheim and I was wondering if maybe, somehow, I completely missed or misunderstood the new system. But nope! It's just that bad. In the best case scenario, your max health/stamina COMBINED total is down 30-40% compared to last patch, but it's also now all one or the other if you go for that "highest" stat total. Added to that, higher-tier weapons (and tools!) take more stamina to use than lower tier ones, and more than they did last patch. Bows got an even bigger stamina nerf on top of that. Enemies did not get their stats changed at all. A couple of weaker weapons got damage bumps but no where near enough to compensate for the stamina costs.

Oh and that best-case food? Now requires additional supplies to make, and additional steps. And you're expected to carry stamina-spec and health-spec food on you, I guess, so even more inventory space is used up all the time. Combat and gather are both filled with "stand there waiting for stamina to regenerate" now, and are tedious as all hell (on top of the more tedious food system for less reward). Oh, AND shields are worse now than they were before even in their best case scenario.

For all that, after 7 months, we got some new walls/chairs and a couple not-even-current-end-game-tier weapons.

The game was NOT easy before, I had 30 deaths on a character I played co-op with my brother and I was the tank - best armor, best shield, best food, always parrying well, and I still just got mobbed sometimes or something bad happened and died or something or another. Now the game is harder, slower, more tedious, more grindy, and has literally no actual new content. After 7 months.

Even with all the positive review "bombing" because of a patch finally happening, the ratio of negative to positive reviews is pretty staggering. On the day itself it spiked to 1/7 of all reviews and so far on the day after it's 1/4. There were more negative reviews in the past two days than probably the past 4 months combined. That is NOT what you want to see from literally your first "major" patch in EA.

Not tried the update yet. The talk of increased difficulty has me worried though.

I play this game because it can be fairly laid back and the only difficulty spikes are usually new areas (struggling with the mountains at the moment).

But if they have hosted the difficulty (the changes to shield should horrible to me) then I may or it to test for a while and see if they go back on some of the changes.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Someone on the other forum found this 👀 👀 👀

I feel that it is going to be a new Shining game.
Teaser

Seems to be a mobile game.

Also literally having a twitter and website called "Sega New RPG" is for some reason incredibly funny to me.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Teaser

Also literally having a twitter and website called "Sega New RPG" is for some reason incredibly funny to me.
The teaser kinda has Tales of vibes to it, I think it could be a new Shining game. Plus it's been a while since the initial Shining Resonance release, it was originally released in 2014.

EDIT: Ah, just saw the comments in reply to the teaser, seems to be a project from Jun Matsunaga, main planner and director for Chain Chronicle, so it's likely a mobile game... (would be nice if it wasn't though)...

EDIT2: It's being reported as a mobile game by websites, meh, not interested in it then. xd

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Teaser

0:27 だが、本当にこれでいいのか

Yeah, ask yourself, SEGA. :angry-face:
The teaser kinda has Tales of vibes to it, I think it could be a new Shining game. Plus it's been a while since the initial Shining Resonance release, it was originally released in 2014.

EDIT: Ah, just saw the comments in reply to the teaser, seems to be a project from Jun Matsunaga, main planner and director for Chain Chronicle, so it's likely a mobile game... (would be nice if it wasn't though)...
They say it is for mobile at 1:00. :disappointed-face:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Query: How long can a 4€ chinese Fire Emblem knockoff be?

and I'm not even close to the end :notlikethisblob:

it's actually a fun game and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys this type of games but be aware it's hard, the translation is horrible and there are hidden items and mechanics that aren't explained anywhere.

• Gib
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018

Yeah I'm loving what I have played, but wow it maxes out my CPU like no other game.

Also for some reason when I put on Vsync in game, it sets it to 74hz when it should be 60hz. i haven't figured out how to change that yet. Nothing on my desktop seems to be set at that amount. :unsure:

Reactions: C-Dub

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I'm loving what I have played, but wow it maxes out my CPU like no other game.
:face-with-cold-sweat:

Also for some reason when I put on Vsync in game, it sets it to 74hz when it should be 60hz. i haven't figured out how to change that yet. Nothing on my desktop seems to be set at that amount. :unsure:
Do you have an nvidia card ? Wouldn't it be better to cap the fps of the game in the driver instead of using vsync ?

Reactions: Prodigy
Status
Not open for further replies.