Community MetaSteam | September 2021 - Welcome to Punxsutawney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Temperatures are starting to rise over here (winter isn't even officially over yet) and again I'm wondering:

Why the f*ck there aren't any good solutions to move the heat generated by the PC out of the room?

Sure, it's nice in the winter, but in the summer It is such a waste for your PC to dump something like 600W of heat in the room while you are gaming, leaving you to waste even more energy trying to cool it back down.

I should probably jury-rig something but I'm lazy I would really prefer some "pre-assembled" solution :p

• This!
Reactions: xinek

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Temperatures are starting to rise over here (winter isn't even officially over yet) and again I'm wondering:

Why the f*ck there aren't any good solutions to move the heat generated by the PC out of the room?
given the fact that a PC isn't somehow airtight, I'm not sure how you would isolate the exhaust air from the rest of your room. Don't see any easy way of getting that done.
So ultimately, it's just the same issue as cooling a room in general, so you just need some kind of AC.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
given the fact that a PC isn't somehow airtight, I'm not sure how you would isolate the exhaust air from the rest of your room. Don't see any easy way of getting that done.
So ultimately, it's just the same issue as cooling a room in general, so you just need some kind of AC.
I don't think it's all or nothing thing. If I can get 50% of the hot air out of the room it would probably be a win already. Problem is knowing if the fan has enough force to push it out any kind of exhaust tube. Maybe a really long custom water loop where you can get the radiator somewhere else, but then it can't be too hot or you will not cool the PC .

And it's not that I don't have AC, it's that my country is kind of the brink of a energy crisis (as much as our government is willing to admit) and this would be a interesting way to save energy.

Of course, going back to just buying games instead of playing them is also a solution :p

• Eyes
Reactions: Mivey and Tomasety

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
You're obviously right with the electrical safety, it doesn't resemble me to be this bold. Evidently, the first thing I would do is cut the electricity in the whole apartment before touching anything, but there is a possibility some current remains, hence the need of a screwdriver tester... and the point when I should have bailed :face-with-cold-sweat:
But being poor, I can't really get professional help, so that limits my options. I will gather more info about what it would cost.
Are you sure the person or company managing your apartment can't come in to assist? I know at my place, for some of the work they cut off the water for part of the building for example, i.e. it's not always stuff you can do on your own. I've messed around with the wiring in my place only to the extent that I can hook up a lamp or internet connection and for that work I do indeed turn off the electricity. I don't know how sockets work though. Seems scary :U

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Does anyone know how to like... get Valve to check if a game is positive-review "bombing"? There are an absurd amount of 1-word or 1-sentence positive reviews coming in for Valheim since the update and the very first profile I clicked on was someone with 0 other games, level 3, 300 hours in Valheim. Not saying that's impossible (it was a big game, tons of people recruited friends to play) but something seems off, especially given the ratio of positive:negative comments in the patch discussion

Edit: Don't want to suggest it's the devs doing it, I just think it's weird and should be looked into same as if it were negative ones

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
bought destroy all humans on a whim and having fun with it, i’m postponing the start of my ToA playthrough until the end of the month when I’ll have more time after work

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Deathloop just froze my PC so hard that Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work -.-
I was going to say "it happens" but then I remembered current PCs don’t even come with a reset button anymore.

You youngins don’t know how good you have it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have had a quick look at the differences between the leak which I had access to and Ighor's back-up.

If you see this:

0acde8a6-9479-4b8a-9fcb-8bc9a88ad496 Horizon Forbidden West -> title
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Project 559S
Then the first line contains:
  • the id of the entry in the database, 0acde8a6-9479-4b8a-9fcb-8bc9a88ad496
  • the title of the entry in my database, Horizon Forbidden West
  • followed by an arrow and the field which changes between my database and Ighor's. -> title
The following lines contain:
  • the value in my database, Horizon Forbidden West
  • the value in Ighor's database. Project 559S
I have skipped the differences between release dates for now. Here are some notable differences:

0acde8a6-9479-4b8a-9fcb-8bc9a88ad496 Horizon Forbidden West -> title
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Project 559S

1ef5be8c-7f59-44b0-9566-da64ef5eaf03 Unannounced Dungeon Tactics Game -> title
  • Unannounced Dungeon Tactics Game
  • TRIANGLE STRATEGY

3381bbdd-5d94-436d-85ef-cccdecf2fbef Space Marine 2 -> title
  • Space Marine 2
  • FHI Unannounced 1

5713abf4-dac3-42b3-a1ea-2690cbd61d7a Returnal -> title
  • Returnal
  • Project Rogue

66ef40dd-54cc-490a-b0b4-c05b64025708 케나: 브릿지 오브 스피릿츠 -> title
  • 케나: 브릿지 오브 스피릿츠
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits

b26909e7-bd7c-42bb-a0fd-3b0530a7c1fb Project Fenway -> title
  • Project Fenway
  • Diablo II: Resurrected

a6cc3603-b3be-4a00-aca6-f3fb77be66c8 Arc Raiders -> title
  • Arc Raiders
  • Pioneer

a6cc3603-b3be-4a00-aca6-f3fb77be66c8 Arc Raiders -> publisherName
  • Embark Studios
  • NVIDIA (Official)

9e8629fd-7794-430a-b36e-521a8468d495 Skullgirls -> publisherName
  • Marvelous Inc.
  • Autumn Games

f8ed5e00-ba5d-43e7-bd6a-57df9eb964a3 3DMark -> storeIds
  • [{'store': 'STEAM', 'id': '223850'}]
  • []
So we can see that:
  • I have some project names whereas Ighor seemed to have the full name (Triangle Strategy, Diable II Resurrected)
  • and vice versa (Horizon Forbidden West, Space Marine 2, Returnal)

Then there are weird cases:
  • I have the Korean name for Kena whereas Ighor has the English name,
  • Arc Raiders has a different name in mine (Arc Raiders vs. Pioneer), and is published by Embark in mine, and by Nvidia in Ighor's
  • a different publisher for Skullgirls (Marvelous vs. Autumn),
  • I have the appID for 3DMark and he has not. It was released on September 14, so a day after the leak was public.

I wonder if all these changes happened in a short time frame between the time when he downloaded data, and the time the leak was public so that I downloaded mine, or whether these changes happened because of different regions.

Edit: Here are the main things which we can learn from the comparison between the leaks mentioned above.

These are the same game.

Some of the Playstation games were in the database under project names:
  • Horizon Forbidden West was Project 559S (ending with S, like the S in Sony),
  • Returnal was Project Rogue (Rogue with the first letter R, as Returnal).
Edit²:

Sackboy was called Project Marmalade.

60ae1910-9a5f-4023-b731-a70f48650efd Sackboy: A Big Adventure / Sumo Digital Ltd. / PlayStation Mobile, Inc. -> sortName
  • sackboy:a_big_adventure-_grs
  • project_marmalade_-_grs

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I was going to say "it happens" but then I remembered current PCs don’t even come with a reset button anymore.

You youngins don’t know how good you have it.
My case has reset button :p But i lost everything i did in that loop, Steam didn't detect time i spent in game so that is around an hour lost on Time Tracker.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
lol, I have that problem with Forza Horizon 4 & Fall Guys.
Horizon 4 has been on my wishlist for a while but I've heard some pretty bad things about the Steam port. Has it been fixed? Or should I go for the MS Store version?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Heard a rumor about Persona official account deleting a tweet about releasing Royal port on Xbox, PS5 and PC, not sure if it is true or not.

• Eyes

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Heard a rumor about Persona official account deleting a tweet about releasing Royal port on Xbox, PS5 and PC, not sure if it is true or not.
Havent seen anything mentioned anywhwre so not real

• Sad

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I stand corrected... the cases I looked when I was thinking about upgrading didn't have a reset button and neither does my current one... probably because I was looking for cheaper models. But honestly not that big of a loss since with my last one I probably accidentally bumped on it more than I actually used it :p

• Eyes

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I got really sucked into Bloodstained this weekend.
Was fairly early when I picked it back up and today I'm at 96% map completion :whistle:
It's really really fun.
But god, it must be a nightmare for completionists. There is so much stuff. Like, it's pretty impressive how many different and unique weapons and armors and accessories and spells there are. But at the same time you don't really need all that much to progress. Which is good, because I don't even want to imagine the amount of grind necessary to unlock and max everything, but it makes it feel very bloated.
Anyway, probably gonna wrap it up tomorrow-ish.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I believe someone would immediately take a screenshot before it got deleted.

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
For People that have played Prey (2017) is a 2nd playthrough worth it? I just got back into it after randomly dropping it after 20 hours.

I'm almost done the game. Was thinking after about doing a no alien upgrades run to see if it's that much different.

• Eyes

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
For People that have played Prey (2017) is a 2nd playthrough worth it? I just got back into it after randomly dropping it after 20 hours.

I'm almost done the game. Was thinking after about doing a no alien upgrades run to see if it's that much different.
It was definitely worth it for me, but I've always done at least 2 playthroughs of all the immersive sim games I've played. You're bound to miss stuff & can only see certain outcomes in a single playthrough depending on the choices you make.

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
the first Persona25th anniversary announcement (out of the 7) has been made, and its essentially just an announcement for Lyn singing on TGS, and that the Persona anime will be streaming in Japan

i will be accepting some strongly-needed condolences, thank you very much
My condolences from someone who hasn't played a Persona game for more than 10 minutes.

The announcement thing was pretty lame though.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It is tough fight between Persona anniversary and Tomb Raider anniversary who did most pointless and overstretched celebration XD

P.S. Don't forget to secure your Tomb Raider Cooking Book!!!

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Horizon 4 has been on my wishlist for a while but I've heard some pretty bad things about the Steam port. Has it been fixed? Or should I go for the MS Store version?
No idea if the Steam version even is that different. I play via Game Pass. I just know that saves are not carried over from Xbox/Windows Store to Steam.

Reactions: pinson

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

It’s been a while, but I think I did a no alien powers run right until the last hours on my first and only playthrough. I’m not sure it’d be significantly different. It seemed to me like the human and alien powers often were slightly different toolsets with which you could usually reach the same goals. Main difference would be how the security system reacts to you, iirc.

Not saying this is what you should do, but I considered a no powers run at some point. Apparently that’s doable, but it would be very limiting of course since certain areas would be pretty much inaccessible I think (unless you game the physics system by moving large obstacles while holding smaller objects).

The Mooncrash DLC could also be a fun alternative! Haven’t played it myself though.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

IIrc the upgrade path you choose doesn't define the story nor does it lock you out of content because there's always at least 2 routes to access every room/zone. I did a no alien upgrades run on my playthrough and could access every room.
The story, or the ending, is defined by dialogue choices you made throughout the game and then there's a final choice that's independent from all the others.
I thought the game's first half was sublime but it's overly long and the 2nd half doesn't add anything, it felt just like padding which in the end soured the whole thing for me. Imho I don't think a 2nd playthrough is needed nor worth it.

• Eyes

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

This video singlehandedly sold me on PREY 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.