Community MetaSteam | September 2021 - Welcome to Punxsutawney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
That's not really fair, it's sitting at 85 OC now
True. I usually focus on reviews which give the worst score to find issues with the games. The overall score is okay.

However, these bad reviews are from some big websites, and hit really hard:
  • Eurogamer: "a game engineered to be so unoffensive there's no reason not to play it, or to play it at all."
  • PC Gamer: "Looks better than it plays, but it's got a good heart."
  • Polygon: "[Kena] promises magic, but can’t deliver much of it".

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
That's not really fair, it's sitting at 85 OC now
True. I usually focus on reviews which give the worst score to find issues with the games. The overall score is okay.

However, these bad reviews are from some big websites: Eurogamer, PC Gamer, Polygon.
Well, to be fair, number doesn't mean when you read the text, overall the consensus is that it is a great debut for the studio and the game itself is good, however you can see how they couldn't deliver something more dynamic, if you play it with low expectations I don't think it will disappoint at all, it is for those who had unrealistic expectations who felt disappointed.

Anyway, I will wait for Steam release as always but I feel like I can enjoy Kena :thumbsupblob:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Kena looks like something I could be very interested in.

However I have found it pointless buying games at the moment. Every time I go to play something I go back to FFXIV. There is always something I need to do in there.

Then once I am done with Endwalker I am thinking Guild Wars 2.

So, personally, I am quite happy that it doesn't really release for me till next year.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I’ve no skin in this game, I’m not particularly bothered by Kena, but the dismissal of a mid 80s score as just ok, and dismissing the higher scores off hand to fit that narrative, for a game no one here has played yet is weird…
There is the belief that Playstation exclusives get inflated scores, I doubt it has anything to do with Kena in particular.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Kena looks good, and going by the reviews its inspired by old collectaton games, I would really like to play it, but the whole misliding of new devs and the EGS bullshit is enough for me to never think of it.

Will be interesting to see how it performs on PC, especially with the god awful regional pricing, previously hyped indie games didn't do well for what we know.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
My bet is that this will be Steam Deck exclusive (SteamOS). Would be much harder (or maybe impossible) to do on Windows.
RE: deleting old data.

I assume this can be disabled for people who are not online or who have data caps?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Let's hear what people think after the game comes out but I'm guessing that it will mostly be that the visuals are very nice but the actual gameplay is just okay. So they were able to do something with that animation experience that the dev team has.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
the visuals are very nice but the actual gameplay is just okay
That is what I would have expected as well. However, it seems that the gameplay (combat system and puzzle design) turns out better than okay. From what I read, the story is criticized for being too smooth and underwhelming, and the game lacks originality as it borrows much from other hits. Overall, it should be a good game for people who have the correct expectations: this game offers a comfortable experience and a beautiful scenery, without any groundbreaking addition to the genre. Sometimes, it is just what people want.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I have always considered critic reviews to be a force multiplier when I am buying or not buying a game rather than the reason I decide to buy or not buy a game. In other words, if I planned on buying a game and it reviews well, then I am likely going to purchase it sooner and/or at a lower discount. If it reviews poorly, then I might push my purchase out later and/or wait for a larger discount.

Only in the most extremes would I say critic reviews have a direct impact on my decision to purchase a game or not, and even then I would say user reviews tend to be a bit better in pushing me to buy something or not. If only because the sheer number of user reviews over publication reviews. A game not on my radar receiving 10s, I might give it another look, and a game I planned to purchase ASAP receiving 4/5s, I might skip it entirely.

As I have played more and more games in my life, I am just jaded by most of the criteria that goes into judging a game. Especially graphics, which I really hardly care about at all these days. Though even things like story and gameplay are such a subjective experience that I have been burned way too many times on having a story or gameplay sold as the greatest thing since peanut butter and have it play out like dozens of other games. It just makes reviews, user or critic, such a tricky thing without really knowing the person behind the review and if we have similar thoughts/tastes on games.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I have always found more use out of Negative reviews than positive ones.

Whenever buying something I always look at the negative reviews first. Try to judge how they would impact me. Games graphics aren't great, I can live with that. Game struggles to maintain 60fps even on lower settings, that's something I will look into a bit more. Some characters are come across as preachy and have problematic opinions, could be part of the story. Creator is preachy and has problematic opinions, think I will be giving that a miss.

A review that heaps praise on something isn't that useful to me. Although multiple praiseworthy reviews does grab my attention.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Review text and impressions are more important to me than a score at the end of the day. A game may review really highly but if it contains elements of gameplay i don't care for then i'm not going to buy it even if it is a worldwide GOTY. The other holds true also, i have really enjoyed and had a good time with games that have recieved 6s and 7s (60/70%) and that most people in the forums i tend to visit would avoid.

I've been playing long enough to have a good idea of what i'll enjoy wasting my time with and a review score isn't really going to shift that view. I want to know WHY a game got a low score or deserves a high score for it to count.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Review text and impressions are more important to me than a score at the end of the day. A game may review really highly but if it contains elements of gameplay i don't care for then i'm not going to buy it even if it is a worldwide GOTY. The other holds true also, i have really enjoyed and had a good time with games that have recieved 6s and 7s (60/70%) and that most people in the forums i tend to visit would avoid.

I've been playing long enough to have a good idea of what i'll enjoy wasting my time with and a review score isn't really going to shift that view. I want to know WHY a game got a low score or deserves a high score for it to count.
This why I like Rock Paper Shotgun and Eurogamer reviews. You have to read them to know what they think of the games. No score to automatically jump to conclusions over.

I think there are certain types of games that there is very little point in reading reviews for as well. Look at Musou games. Outside of the Zelda ones it's very rare to find a high scorer in. While not my favourite type of game I do have soft spot for them. Will always grab one in a sale. I don't think I have ever come across a decent review for a Musou.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
90-99 = good game
85-89 = red flags but probably a good time
80-84 - Divisive good time. usually better than 85-89
70-79 = Must be broken or bad
60-69 = unplayable, bad and/or broken. Sometimes so bad its good but rarely
59 and below = nah

Deduct 5 points for console exclusives.
Deduct 5 points for media darlings like Rockstar and Nintendo

Last edited:

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Uh, hi meta, I've been doing some thinking and I've got some ideas to improve the forum. I got it right here

1. Bloodborne rumors need to be louder, angrier and have access to a Steam Machine.
2. Whenever Bloodborne is not on Steam, all the other meta users should be asking: "Where's Bloodborne?"

I'll leave the others on the floor on my way out.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
when it comes to reviews, I still yearn for someone like TB and how he did his "WTF is..."-series, and actively encouraged people to consider his taste/perspective and put that against their own, instead of taking it for something objective. For instance, he always pointed how he didnt like platformers or puzzles games, but his videos of games in those genres were still always useful for me (who does like these genres) determining whether I'd enjoy them or not.

~

That said, I hope Kena is better than some reviews suggest, but for example, that Eurogamer review brought up a bunch of critique points I couldnt give a toss about. So thats how I see it. A review can be damning, but I personally might still enjoy the game.
Either way, I'm waiting until its on Steam.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Uh, hi meta, I've been doing some thinking and I've got some ideas to improve the forum. I got it right here

1. Bloodborne rumors need to be louder, angrier and have access to a Steam Machine.
2. Whenever Bloodborne is not on Steam, all the other meta users should be asking: "Where's Bloodborne?"

I'll leave the others on the floor on my way out.
3. All references to bLoOdBoRnE on MC should have the font autochanged to Comic Sans and alternate or random case letters.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I always check out negative reviews for games I'm interested in. There are some things I find absolutely inexcusable that too many people excuse because it's just... how it is, I guess. Especially the difference between tedium and challenge, which I harp on constantly. For example, the new Valheim patch - it adds an absurd amount of tedium, which has a trickle down of making things harder but mostly it's just a bunch more time wasted on things for no reason. GRIME is the same - I really wanted to love the game, but spending 1/3 to 1/2 of my time literally wasted walking through the same empty corridors again and again and again, and the terrible map+fast travel+exploration system just make all the other stuff wasted effort to me. The combat is great, and challenging. The empty corridors are nice atmosphere - the first time.

And I like grindy games when they're done right - I play Minecraft, I play Diablo 3, I play a ton of roguelikes where you do the "same" stuff over and over again, but it has a time and a place and it needs to have a purpose. "Wasting your time" is not a purpose I care for designers to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.