Community MetaSteam | September 2021 - Welcome to Punxsutawney

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Of those JRPGs, I enjoyed Octopath Traveler the most. Not sure what 'The last Draque' is, though, and I really dislike the Tales of games despite my best efforts to try and enjoy them, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I too am in the same boat, though. No idea what to play next after finishing Deathloop. I made a little Twitter poll so please, feel free to vote and help me decide.

I would suggest that you make a "curated backlog" somewhere, like I have a Steam collection (only collection, not a shelf) called "Curated Backlog" where I put games that are finishable and I really wanna play, but have not installed yet. That has worked great for me at least.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
But the second one is one of the best games I've played !

A lot of people say that and I understand why (the characters and the suicide mission) but in my opinion ME2 was not a worthy followup to the first game. Bioware turned it into a straight corridor shooter and its plot completely destroyed one of the coolest villains in recent videogames (the Reapers). It also feels like a much smaller game in scope and grandeur, the first game was a full 80s sci-fi opera while the second felt like a sidequest with its inconsequential plot and tiny cramped levels.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Alexandros While I do agree with you, but for me it just comes together that just made it super immersive for me. I got it on release and I played it nonstop until I had finished it. Very rarely that I get that into a game.
For me the first game did that, the second was a disappointment. It's all subjective of course, that's what makes talking about games fun.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Alexandros While I do agree with you, but for me it just comes together that just made it super immersive for me. I got it on release and I played it nonstop until I had finished it. Very rarely that I get that into a game.
Same, it really grabbed me back then, didn't touch anything else until I beat it, but Alexandros' points are valid.
I'm itching to revisit the trilogy but I need a bigger discount on the remaster.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I too am in the same boat, though. No idea what to play next after finishing Deathloop. I made a little Twitter poll so please, feel free to vote and help me decide.

Of the four games you posted up in the Twitter poll, I'd say FF7R. But since you mentioned that both that and Mass Effect 1 are replays, I'd say play DDLC next as its quite short overall.

As for 13 Sentinels, it's a great game, but it takes a bit of concentration/focus to keep the details of the story (told out of order) straight in your head, and it's also rather long with a runtime around 30 to 35 hours.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
For me the first game did that, the second was a disappointment. It's all subjective of course, that's what makes talking about games fun.
My usual cop out answer about Mass Effect 2 its that is very good game, but not a very good second game for a trilogy. You end the game more or less in the same place you were at the start in relation to the main threat with just a bit more backstory, so yeah, the DLC analogy is not far off. Worst of all, some of info we do get (Dark Matter) is ignored later.

Even the Suicide Mission (which I also liked) presents serious logistics problems for the third game, forcing them to either toss aside characters or have generic stand-ins ready. The first game gets a "pass" in the planning part because nobody knew how well it would do, but by Mass Effect 2 the third game was more or less inevitable.

Replaying all of them recently in the Legendary edition just reinforced my opinion. The jump in quality from 1 to 2 in terms of gameplay (even if more action oriented) and polish is gigantic, so it's easy to see why people like so much. But then the start of the third game feels really "abrupt" because the second one didn't really move the main plot forward.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Finished Superliminal too today, it was fine.

Also there are Far Cry 6 Uplay codes out there for 45$ but i am not giving more than 30$ for that game XD

• Eyes

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
After finishing Psychonauts 2, I’m in full what to play next train of thought.
Control DLC, but I didn’t like Control and after the joy that was P2 it may feel like work/miserable.
Aragami 1 ? To be honest, after a couple of hours the game feels competent enough but easily skippable.

I’m toying with the idea of playing some weeb games, some JRPG. Some Tales ? The last Draque ? Maybe Octopath ?
Any good JRPG you would suggest ?
I would love to finish Psychonaunts 2, but I got hit by a progression bug in the bowling level that made it impossible to progress. They did release a patch a few weeks ago that said they fixed it but it's still happening to me.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished Superliminal too today, it was fine.

Also there are Far Cry 6 Uplay codes out there for 45$ but i am not giving more than 30$ for that game XD
I have actually zero interest in FC6 and that's impressive cause I have played every FC game since 3 on day 1. FC 3 was great, thene it went downhill. I hated my time with 5, New Dawn and Far Cry Primal,. felt like work playing them, got tired after a few minutes, used a ton of cheat to get through them, so I learned my lesson.

Currently the only Ubi games Im somewhat interested in is PoP: Sands of Time Remake, Riders Republic and Six Extraction.

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I have actually zero interest in FC6 and that's impressive cause I have played every FC game since 3 on day 1. FC 3 was great, thene it went downhill. I hated my time with 5, New Dawn and Far Cry Primal,. felt like work playing them, got tired after a few minutes, used a ton of cheat to get through them, so I learned my lesson.

Currently the only Ubi games Im somewhat interested in is PoP: Sands of Time Remake, Riders Republic and Six Extraction.
Only reason why i am interested is tropical setting. I need sometimes need mindless game to play after work to relax and FC6 is exactly that with big bonus that is set in exotic location.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I would suggest that you make a "curated backlog" somewhere, like I have a Steam collection (only collection, not a shelf) called "Curated Backlog" where I put games that are finishable and I really wanna play, but have not installed yet. That has worked great for me at least.
I do this on Microsoft ToDo as far as my backlog goes.

It's all the games I forsee myself playing across all platforms. I occassionally re-sort it and promote or demote games into different priorities because it's really easy to bulk move items between lists on ToDo.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
i myself started to go back to VR somewhat, despite only being by my big PC two days a week (if you icount arriving at 4 pm on tuesday to the city, living there for the entirety of wednesday and then travelling on 5:30 pm for "two days")

started with me downloading a HL:A workshop app where you go into a bar and shoot some guys, i needed it for recording of a submission for a film contest at our discord, amazing stuff, edited it to a noir shootout where everyone who got shot died while screaming one of Tom's screams from Tom & Jerry
if our university has one of those soldiering rooms (which it honestly should have), i can try to make one of those VR gloves that's so nice these days

university's going "ehh", as in there's loads of bad and loads of good, mostly that the degree's 3 out of 4 topics atm are digital, which is a comfortable way of saying "i stopped caring about them, but hey, i have that study technique from some while ago, i'll manage, i'll just think one day that "oh hey i should probably start going through all of this stuff" and then start by making myself a cup of something with caffeine, waste most of the time doing that, read through it once with breaks, and because i took breaks, (props to you if you've read up till now, i certainly wouldnt) i suddenly manage to remember everything i did, just like that one time i just read about the colour cyan and how i now know that cyanide works by hindering electrons from going through the integrated proteins of the most inner membrane of the mitochondrium, which then hinders the production of ATP as it hinders electrons from reaching the ATP synthetase, leaving it with no "power" to transfer protons through the membrane, and therefore unable to make adenonin di phosphate ADP into adenonin tri phosphate"

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
Free package?
god i remember from high school, different businesses and companies had booths and we got free packages of stuff, which i found very insulting if their goal was for us to be interested in them as a potential future job, especially if they gave us 3 pieces of candy and only one reflex band

where's the steamdb booth

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Free package?
There's a script or button on the SteamDB page that copies a script to your clipboard that you copy into a browser console and it basically redeems every free game on Steam into your Steam account. I think that's what they mean. I haven't visited SteamDB for a long while. Maybe they have a button to just redeem single free games and MegaApple was going a bit mad with it. heh.

• Love
Reactions: Tomasety and Blu

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
there's a goood amount of PS3 games i'd actually like to play, too bad i didn't develop a VERY based taste and only had a pretty normal-good ish taste, mostly black ops 2, skate 3 and black ops 2

good to see the steps done in emulation, i'd probably have to get it and some nice roms (MGS4, really i should've made the "roms" in singular form)

Reactions: QFNS and MegaApple

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Started El Shaddai.
Oh dear.

It is indeed very very pretty, I think everyone knows that.
But man the combat is mindless, and the story is sheer cuckoo for cocoa puffs gibberish.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

FarCry for me are 'turn your brain off and relax' type of games.

I know what to expect, decent-ish combat, shit story and even worse politics.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I would love to finish Psychonaunts 2, but I got hit by a progression bug in the bowling level that made it impossible to progress. They did release a patch a few weeks ago that said they fixed it but it's still happening to me.
I was more lucky, just had a script break on me with no possibility to advance further. Fortunately a reload fixed it. I still wasted 15 minutes trying to understand what I was meant to do with the three objects I was thrown and getting super frustrated. Spoiler : I had nothing to do with those And the game just failed to load the next enemy wave.

Uh, sorry if it’s stupid, but did you try to exit the brain and re-enter ?

Reactions: Wok

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
I think it's mostly a byproduct of the current level of social media discourse. Many (most?) people would rather reply in a dismissive or sarcastic way to an opinion they don't agree with rather than put in the effort to make an argument. It is much easier to type "lmao" than to explain your position in a clear and eloquent manner.

• Toucan
Reactions: Alexandros

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
It is not always en evil emoji, sometimes it is simply a moustache dude rubbing his hands.
In the case of Kena, it is the evil emoji though. It could be seen as Tim enjoying the lack of features offered by his store. :evilblob:

It is better if use an emoji instead of a deepfake gif. 🙈

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way for those interested in watching Star Wars Visions I ended up watching all 9 of them.

The two best ones were The Duel and Akairi

The Elder was also nice.

As for the rest were okay.

So

1. The duel - great (Akira Kurosawa time)

2. Tatooine Rhapsody - okay (Star Wars the musical)

3. The Twins -okay (nice visuals but out of all 9 it was the one that made the least sense)

4. The village Bride -better than okay (I didn't really care for the Jedi but I liked the bride and groom)

5. The Ninth Jedi - okay (the lightsaber fights were pretty cool)

6. T0-B1 - okay (I hope you like Astro Boy also art style wise this was is way more cutesy the all the rest)

7. The Elder- I liked it - sound wise out of the 9 this one really delivered when it came to the lightsaber sounds (THX!!!!!!!!!!)

8. Lop & Ochō - pretty good -this one has the best visual design out of the rest. The city looks like the Hidden Leaf Village from Naruto (that style) and it also looks like it was made with film grain added to the movie)

9. Akakiri - great -this one maybe not seem that special and compared to the others ones it may not look as nice or have as cool fight scenes but story development wise this is maybe the closest one to actual Star Wars (the closet you would get to the prequels while the rest are also the original trilogy inspired stuff)

7 out of the 9 focused more so on the Samurai like aspect of Star Wars. Which is call but it also really shows at just how limited Star Wars would be as a series if it was not for the other aspects of it like the "Space Opera" and Spagettii Western parts of the series,

6 out of the 9 focused on a Jedi vs Sith thing, which is weird since out of those 6, 4 of them take place after the fall of the republic and take place during the Galactic Civil War even though Jedi should be no more you still have Sith like characters.... I guess this is where you have to blame Feloni and his who "inquisitors" thing. which was used as a big plot thing for the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order game. I guess it's because of that that they sort of felt the same and felt like deviations of a similar story, 4 out of the 9 did at least feel different but the other 5 did just feel like deviations of one another.

When it comes to Star Wars some of the best stories don't even involve Jedi and for kind of obvious reasons, and even those that do, all of that is expanded over time (people didn't like Asoka in the beginning and then over time she became a way better character then Rey from Episode 7-9 likely ever could.) and well with these anime shorts they are at most like 20 minutes and you really won't see more of these characters after words.

Going back to the Spaghetti Western part of it make me wonder what it would have been like if Shinichirō Watanabe had been asked to do something for Star Wars visions

So in a way the whole experience was kind of cool but also a disappointment.

PS, as a reminder of the the IPs that KT has always wanted to make a musou for, are Mario and Star Wars. It seems that the president of KT is a big Star Wars fan.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Started El Shaddai.
Oh dear.

But man the combat is mindless, and the story is sheer cuckoo for cocoa puffs gibberish.
Didn't you read anything about El Shaddai over the years? Yes, it's a batshit crazy nuts take on the story of Enoch tracking down the 7 Fallen Angels.
I'll probably get around to it as a Christmas game with the speed i'm working through things at the moment. Comfy.

• Eyes

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Started El Shaddai.
Oh dear.

Yeah, that sounds like El Shaddai hahaha

• Toucan
Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Started Octopath Traveler. 8 hours or something, it’s… complicated. On the one hand I loved the separate stories moment in FF6, and I like that they went with mini plots for each character.
On the other handdddd, after 4 characters I get the annoying feeling that the game has shown all it has to offer. But that’s not unrelated, you gain in diversity with multiple little plots, but you lose a big plot that can come in handy to maintain interest when the gameplay feels samey.

I hate being hard on the game, I loved most of my time with it and will gladly continue.

• Eyes

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I was more lucky, just had a script break on me with no possibility to advance further. Fortunately a reload fixed it. I still wasted 15 minutes trying to understand what I was meant to do with the three objects I was thrown and getting super frustrated. Spoiler : I had nothing to do with those And the game just failed to load the next enemy wave.

Uh, sorry if it’s stupid, but did you try to exit the brain and re-enter ?
Yeah it happens even if I load a save that isn't in the brain, it starts me at the save point closest to the end and I can see the shard in the brain, but as soon as I press the button to grab it the shard turns invisible in the cutscene, it goes through the cut scene normally other than the invisible shard, and when it finishes I load back to the hub area with no progress on the quest.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Inb4 lashman shadow dropped the OT next week. :flare_lmao:
If he still missing we can probably still use this thread for a few days until someone (that's not lazy) makes a new one. Nothing wrong in extending the month a little so the year goes by slower :p

But I think we are all hoping he does indeed shadow drop the thread announcing his return so we can all go back to making fun of him for secretly loving anime. :blobyesanime:

Status
Not open for further replies.