Community MetaSteam | September 2023 - The galaxy awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That's Jedi Survivor finished. Absolutely amazing game that is in every sense better than the first game. But boy does performance sh*ts on all that.
Does it have more meaningful rewards for exploration than the first one?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For some reason I was expecting Komodo to be at TGS, this year as well but that doesn't seem like it is happening. I'm guessing that their presence may be felt at the indie booths. They already did some of that for BitSummit earlier this year at Kyoto.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Drakengard's 20th anniversary is today in Japan we've got a few articles here and there and some fan-arts so far. If only Square-Enix could stop huffing the gacha glue for a bit...

SINoAlice is shutting down, and with it we lose a canon part of the Yoko Taro timeline to history. The current focus is NieR: Reincarnation, but that too will shutdown someday and we'll lose some more lore for the NieR/Drakengard Taroverse. So c'mon and give us a real game again already! While Yoko Taro still has some working years left in him.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Drakengard's 20th anniversary is today in Japan we've got a few articles here and there and some fan-arts so far. If only Square-Enix could stop huffing the gacha glue for a bit...

SINoAlice is shutting down, and with it we lose a canon part of the Yoko Taro timeline to history. The current focus is NieR: Reincarnation, but that too will shutdown someday and we'll lose some more lore for the NieR/Drakengard Taroverse. So c'mon and give us a real game again already! While Yoko Taro still has some working years left in him.
I have no idea what the game play is like for those games, but why doesn't SE just do an offline version? They already did a. Offline version of DQX, Capcom did an offline version of their Rocketman game

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I have no idea what the game play is like for those games, but why doesn't SE just do an offline version? They already did a. Offline version of DQX, Capcom did an offline version of their Rocketman game
For one, it actually costs some money to port it as an offline game, and SE never spends one cent on anything that wasn't started by one of the CEO cronies.

But secondly, and it's much more cynical, it has a negative effect on their other GaaS as some people would just "wait for them to be one and done transaction".
There's no reason for mobile games like these to make a one time offer instead of doubling down on MTX, that's nothing new. Nintendo saw the ridiculous amount of money their 9.99 games did compared to Fire Emblem gacha heroes.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I know people are complaining about how Starfield looks, the feel they were going for was like a retro photo and I do love it!
I like it too. My issues regarding looks are mostly technical. Like no shadows under vegetation, GI and AO are lacking in many cases and things like that. But that retro sepia look is fine to me.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

ITS BEEN ALMOST 7 YEARS SINCE AUTOMATA!!!!!!!!

You know i fucking loved it, one of my favorite games of all time, but even i am getting sick of 2B fanart and cosplays.
It's about damn time for something new

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I like it too. My issues regarding looks are mostly technical. Like no shadows under vegetation, GI and AO are lacking in many cases and things like that. But that retro sepia look is fine to me.
I had a look at my screenshots and there are definitely shadows under foliage. Things like GI could always be better but there's always the tradeoff with performance that needs to be taken into account. For the most part the game looks fantastic.

Meanwhile, Dying Light 2 is having a good couple of days. Some dedicated person went and made a huge file documenting all the stuff that was cut out of the game.

Presumably this is mostly Chris Avellone's work that they threw out in their attempt to ensure that what they shipped would never be mistaken for anything other than garbage.

And also they decided to add a new microtransaction currency called Dying Light points. Has any single player game ever added a premium currency 1.5 years after release? I can't think of any until now...

Steam forum is not thrilled about this change, as you can imagine.

Reactions: thekeats1999

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I had a look at my screenshots and there are definitely shadows under foliage. Things like GI could always be better but there's always the tradeoff with performance that needs to be taken into account. For the most part the game looks fantastic.
New Atlantis kinda lacks in foliage shadows department. And overall AO/GI around foliage.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

Meanwhile, Dying Light 2 is having a good couple of days. Some dedicated person went and made a huge file documenting all the stuff that was cut out of the game.

Presumably this is mostly Chris Avellone's work that they threw out in their attempt to ensure that what they shipped would never be mistaken for anything other than garbage.

And also they decided to add a new microtransaction currency called Dying Light points. Has any single player game ever added a premium currency 1.5 years after release? I can't think of any until now...

Steam forum is not thrilled about this change, as you can imagine.
so looking at that post bundles are being sold in 500 pts, 1100pts and so on. What’s the betting that each of these packs are not quite enough to get an equivalent skin. Ie 600pts, 1200pts. I dislike this in F2P games and I absolutely despise it in a premium priced game.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
New Atlantis kinda lacks in foliage shadows department. And overall AO/GI around foliage.
Well yeah, New Atlantis is much heavier than other places so I suppose they had to make more compromises there. Honestly I think the trees in that city look rather flat and ugly and I think the artists should have done something else there.

so looking at that post bundles are being sold in 500 pts, 1100pts and so on. What’s the betting that each of these packs are not quite enough to get an equivalent skin. Ie 600pts, 1200pts. I dislike this in F2P games and I absolutely despise it in a premium priced game.
Another thing about ingame currencies is that they almost never have any regional pricing. So it's possible a $10 store DLC might cost $5 in a poorer country but when you go to ingame currencies 1000 points will always cost $10 for everyone. So in a way this is going to make DLC more expensive for people who need regional pricing.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well yeah, New Atlantis is much heavier than other places so I suppose they had to make more compromises there. Honestly I think the trees in that city look rather flat and ugly and I think the artists should have done something else there.
Well they should give players option to turn on what they want. Modders will probably add some things but it would be nice that devs make their games bit more future proof.

Reactions: Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This just seems weird to me, honestly. The issue with VR is that the hardware is expensive, few games support it, and only as a last point that it needs beefy PC. So if we also assume that Valve is planning to release a follow-up to the Index that costs far less while offering the same or better experience, then sure, that would help with the adoption of PC VR.
But a beefy Steam machine itself isnt' going to to anything for VR. People will just play normal 2D games on it.

Also linking to long Twitter threads (I assume there is one since he writes "tldlr" is pointless to anyone without a twitter account. Really wish people stopped using that website, but its userbase seems to be beyond hope.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A steam machine done right is the endgame for me

I’d never need another pc or possibly even console again
I quite enjoy building my PC, but I know loads of people who would love a turnkey PC experience.

For me, what I want is a good PC TV OS that supports whatever hardware you install it on. And that works with features like HDR and ray tracing.

I feel like a TV-centric Steam Machine would get us closer to that world.

It’d also give us a new Steam Controller, which I also want.

Dec 5, 2018
Also linking to long Twitter threads (I assume there is one since he writes "tldlr" is pointless to anyone without a twitter account. Really wish people stopped using that website, but its userbase seems to be beyond hope.
Just use privacy redirect (w/ nitter) until they break it again.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I suppose I'm a Steam fanboy, because no matter how much I criticize my Deck and see no need for a Steam PC, I would be interested;
But IDGAF about VR though, so yeah, I suppose it's not for me.

• Toucan
  • This!
Reactions: lashman and Vantr

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wouldn’t even know how to do that. Does doing that even work on iOS, Mac and iPadOS?

“Just use xyz…” is always a loaded phrase full of assumptions about people’s technical skills, or even if it’s possible on their own hardware.

Alternatively people could stop posting Tweets, or when they do, provide context for them instead of making their entire post consist of content from another site.

Dec 5, 2018
I wouldn’t even know how to do that. Does doing that even work on iOS, Mac and iPadOS?

“Just use xyz…” is always a loaded phrase full of assumptions about people’s technical skills, or even if it’s possible on their own hardware.

Alternatively people could stop posting Tweets, or when they do, provide context for them instead of making their entire post consist of content from another site.
I mean it's just a browser extension, which in turn means it won't work in iOS.

But if you change the URL from twitter.com to nitter.net it should also work. (That's mostly why I don't have problem recommending nitter, since you just need to change the URL, until twitter brakes it again)

And people won't stop posting tweets, until something replaces it so.

Also

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I guess that works again? Gave that a try some months ago and it was dead.
Mind you, my post wasn't directed at you, I meant more generally that people should switch to Threads or more preferably Mastodon. Twitter is fast becoming a literal nazi-infested site which is also controlled by a open fascist. Even Threads seems like a sane alternative. But its addicted user-base does not seem to care what assholes they directly support with their behaviour.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Never knew this was a thing. You can click hidden achievements to see what they are.

Both steamdb and augmented steam browser extensions have had this option for a while, but it's great that they added this to the client. Kind of weird though that they limit the functionality to the global comparison.

Reactions: Stevey

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I have forty hours in Void Stranger. The deeper I climb the more I see.

Ooohhh, now that's interesting. It makes sense that the hardware wouldn't purely be for VR, since if it has the power for VR then it'd work well enough as a console-type box.

Reactions: lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

Pretty lengthy list of changes. Nerfs to early game bosses, buffs to lots of early game equipment.

No PvP focused changes either, which is good IMO.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Steam Machine 1.0 failed cause Valve left it all to third party hardware makers..

Steam Deck is Portable Steam Machine 2.0
If Galileo is a VR ready Desktop Steam machine 2.0 it would make perfect sense.
It also had pretty much zero software, WINE was not mature enough to run games so you could only run native ones on SteamOS 1.0. Getting a Windows game running was nothing short of a miracle and a complete hassle, let alone on day 1.. DXVK and VKD3D didn't excist. AMDGPU was just out and nowhere near the support it has today. Heck you would generally run Nvidia because those drivers were actually functional compared to whatever AMD was doing.

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The idea of a complete device ecosystem (VR, desktop/TV, handheld) that is console-like in its ease of use and PC-like in its openness is very appealing. I really want to know more about Galileo/Deckard.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
At this point it seems like Embracer is a big fucking tax avoidance scam gone wrong.
they have no idea what they are doing.
Still holding for the vague hope of them delivering on the Gothic remake. The recent video the team released captured the atmosphere of the old camp really well.
Of course, with Embracer being in a bad financial state, who knows what will happen

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I was waiting for the end of the year sales, BF mostly, to shop for parts for an upgrade so these news couldn't come at a better time. Depending on specs and price I can see this being my new desktop machine, if it's good enough for VR I'm sure is good enough for most games and perhaps even a bit future proof. Plus the Deck showed us that Linux systems with proper configuration and compatibility are capable machines.
I'll remain cautiously vigilant to see what surprises they're going to show us.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
The idea of a complete device ecosystem (VR, desktop/TV, handheld) that is console-like in its ease of use and PC-like in its openness is very appealing. I really want to know more about Galileo/Deckard.
To me, the biggest draw is how all those devices would work together seamlessly. TV, handheld and desktop gaming all working off the same library, with saves hopping between all of them, is the dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.