Community MetaSteam | September 2023 - The galaxy awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This comment isn't a bash on Starfield just a remark

Since it's unavoidable to escape the discourse around this game, I noticed that everyone was praising the graphics and saying how pretty the game is. I decided to check it out on twitch and while the textures seem mostly fine, if somewhat unremarkable for the most part, the whole thing is extremely monochromatic, eveything is grey or piss yellow/brown. Feels like something plucked straight from the late 2000's and I don't get the appeal.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Wait Cocoon is out this month? For some reason I thought it was a next year game. :rip:

Also yeah, Volition hasn't made a successful game in a decade, at some point this was going to go down whether they had been Embraced or not. So I can't say I haven't been expecting this for a while now. With or without the Saudi money Embracer deal, the new Saints Row was their last shot. Whether that's due to the studio itself or Deep Silver mismanaging them is anyone's guess. Maybe it's a bit of both. In cases like this I always wonder how much of the Volition people loved is still even in there.

I hope everyone there lands on their feet though, and it's a shame to lose such a historic studio too.

With Gearbox Publishing getting some layoffs too, it does make me wonder just how much Embracer ends up restructuring in the end. Their whole company structure is such that there are a lot of positions that a person looking to cut expenses might consider overlapping with the parent company (or parent of a parent in some cases) and thus redundant. How has Saber's games been doing? I feel like I don't hear from them outside of 4A/Metro, so in that sense it wouldn't shock me if Saber was to cease as well and all of the studios under it moved to some of the other subsidiaries. Same with Deep Silver, just feels like it might just cease to exist and have all of its operations moved to Plaion/Koch. Coffee Stain group is small and doing great by all accounts, maybe they'll move the Deep Silver studios under that management or something.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Starfield isn't gripping me at all
The opening seemed really half-baked to me. Like 5 mins in you find the plot device and then another 5 mins later some dude show up like "Here, take my ship and go find my buddies. They have the main quest." I felt like it could've used a bit more of a narrative setup or build-up or something. Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 all had openings that were way more engaging. This one seemed kinda rushed and I can't help but wonder if it's because of all those "I played Skyrim for 500 hours and never touched the main quest" players. Maybe the quick inciting incident is meant to try to hook the player ASAP. Or maybe they're just trying to get the intro out of the way so those players can move on and do their own thing lol.

Once I got to Constellation and started talking to NPCs I was enjoying myself way more but by then I was pretty sleepy and needed to go to bed. Hopefully it'll be more engaging tonight when I get back into it. I'm expecting a Bethesda RPG and so far it seems to be exactly what the game delivers.

Reactions: Dandy

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
I genuinly hope this gets crowdfunded

Dark Auction: Hitlerā€™s Estate (Rika Suzuki [Hotel Dusk] x IzanagiGames) announced; Switch/Steam late 2024 | ResetEra

It's literally Danganronpa (with Hitler)

Potential to be both super fun and have some super offensive twists at the end.

Releasing on steam.
knowing how weird VNs can get and reading the description I think there's genuinely a non zero chance that that games plot could end up being "Hitler was predestined to do the things he did, Hitler froze his sperm before he died, 36 years in the future his son born from that sperm is struggling against being predestined to do some genecide like his father was"

which would just be....yikes

some quotes from the description that lead my thoughts in that direction:

The tale unfolds in an ancient castle in 1981, 36 years after Hitlerā€™s death. 18-year-old protagonist Noah is determined not to turn out like his father, but, beyond that, he has no idea of the kind of person he wants to be.
Throughout the long flow of time, certain individuals are predestined to make historyā€”a projection of, and projection onto the times in which they lived. Hitler was one such individualā€”an evil specter at the heart of the tumult of the Second World War.
What if, behind the scenes, as a final act, he sought to bequeath something to the next generation?

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: lashman

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The opening seemed really half-baked to me. Like 5 mins in you find the plot device and then another 5 mins later some dude show up like "Here, take my ship and go find my buddies. They have the main quest." I felt like it could've used a bit more of a narrative setup or build-up or something. Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 all had openings that were way more engaging. This one seemed kinda rushed and I can't help but wonder if it's because of all those "I played Skyrim for 500 hours and never touched the main quest" players. Maybe the quick inciting incident is meant to try to hook the player ASAP. Or maybe they're just trying to get the intro out of the way so those players can move on and do their own thing lol.

Once I got to Constellation and started talking to NPCs I was enjoying myself way more but by then I was pretty sleepy and needed to go to bed. Hopefully it'll be more engaging tonight when I get back into it. I'm expecting a Bethesda RPG and so far it seems to be exactly what the game delivers.
The part where the complete stranger just gives you his ship makes no sense. They should've made you accompany him, and then something happens and you have to take the controls, etc.

Reactions: toxicitizen

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!

Take my ship, I'll stay here on this random planet to mine for you

Very natural and fantastic storytelling

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Thank you for all your work Mor!

I dislike the clunky confusing UI on Starfield in general and hate that there is no local minimap. Not sure if I have the patience or desire to get used to it.

Don't play games to be annoyed by them, no matter how "big" the game is.

I might just put it in the "Play it Later" pile and go back to BG3.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for the thread, Mor !

It's Nayuta month!

(You might still want to put this in the opening post Mor , it's technically already out, but only in Japanese and this month it's gonna get an update with English).
That was a good game. I played it on PSP when it was translated. Kind of an easier Falcom game (at a least in hard, I don't do nightmare), but if you have played Ys you know what it's about.

怌Echo怍

ē«œć®é­”å„³ć€‚
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
  • This!
Reactions: C-Dub

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I need some help with CPU over clocking. I want to OC my Ryzen 5 2600 to at least 4.0GHz. Originally I wanted to aim for 4.2GHz but I don't think that would be possible.

4.05GHz seems to be the most reasonable from what I read online that I might be able to safely boost all of my cores.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I pirated Starfield just to check it out a little bit before the standard edition is out and so far it makes me feel great I ordered the standard edition and didn't let fomo get to me.

It's the worst peforming game so far I've played on my PC ever.

The exporation which is the best part of a BGS game feels dull so far and the space exploration is very dissapointing. Gonna see what happens next week when the game is out and later when big mods starts popping up.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It still annoys me that chat is its own app and not part of the Steam app.
I kinda prefer it separate. Means I donā€™t have to have chat on certain devices, but may want the Steam app for the store and such.

Like my iPad mini, which I want to be completely free of chat/social apps, but still able to shop on.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Cool thread Mor

I've been playing a load of Kingdom Two Crowns, cant seem to put it down.

• Gib
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.