Community MetaSteam | September 2023 - The galaxy awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
I don't think I've liked anything done by The Chinese Room, and I don't trust this project either. I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting this to be extremely streamlined. I'm expecting this to be a very very thin RPG, even it it's a RPG at all. Starting as an Elder does not give me confidence in it. I just hope it's more than a walking simulator with a bad but flashy combat system.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The Chinese Room love the smell of their own farts a bit too much to write anything worthwhile. What's even more damning is they keep saying how good they are at writing - clearly, judging by their previous output, they are not.

And despite this, people expect them to make an immersive sim?

This game is going to suck. Mark my words. I want to be wrong, but I won't be.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Finished Trails to Azure, i'm tempted to jump into my replays of CS3+4 but I'm not sure because I'd ideally would like to then jump straight into reverie, but I'd like also to play reverie during holidays when I can bingeplay so might be better to hold off my replays until november.

I'll think about it I suppose.

• Comfy
Reactions: sanhora and QFNS

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
I liked Little Orpheus, and Still Wakes the Deep looks promising, but it’s pretty hard to envision Chinese Room successfully making an open-ended first-person RPG. Guess we’ll see

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I think every developer can surprise, even the chinese room. If they are allowed the time they need and start from a clean slate without any of the burden of whatever the two previous devs did, sure why not.
Maybe the devs themselves will discover that they are actually really good at making imsims and it will become their new niche.
:toucan:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I actually like Dear Esther and Everybody’s Gone To Rapture. However this seems like they are going out on a limb using the Chinese Room. There has been nothing in any of their games to indicate they even know where to begin in making Immersive Sims.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Incredible. Here, have a plate of shit, isn’t shit great ?
What a ride. Announcing the sequel to a beloved CRPG, having Avellone on staff, only for the whole thing to peter out to the point you have to hand it to TCR.

I too liked Dear Esther, for what it was, but C-Dub characterized them perfectly when he talked about the overbearing smell whenever they say something. Unfortunate. Doubly so when this is obviously nowhere near their capabilities.
I think the studio went through some changes a couples year ago. Let’s hope those magical hires include a couple wizards.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Man am I happy to have this place to talk calmly and rationally about games, this community is like an island in a vast sea of toxicity.
I knew the discourse around Starfield was going to be a shitshow but I was not prepared for just how bad it could get. People are harping on and on about low review scores. The playstation fanboys on Twitter especially have been beyond insufferable. Even game devs are taking potshots at the game. Youtube/Twitch influencers are still testing the waters to see which side of the outrage they should land on to maximize engagement. People in the Star Citizen subreddit are pointing to 'flaws' in the game (such as not having atmospheric flight) as justification for why it's actually okay for Star Citizen to remain in development/unfinished for the rest of their lives.

It's an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

The Chinese Room love the smell of their own farts a bit too much to write anything worthwhile. What's even more damning is they keep saying how good they are at writing - clearly, judging by their previous output, they are not.

And despite this, people expect them to make an immersive sim?

This game is going to suck. Mark my words. I want to be wrong, but I won't be.
It's going to be a complete disaster. And the thing is, WOD/Bloodlines fans will put up with almost anything in terms of bugs/game design issues etc. if the writing is good. That's what they've been doing for the last 20 years with Bloodlines. That's what has kept the flame of hope alive for this game. But the writing has to be good.

And then they went and picked this company of all companies to do the narrative. This is the literal opposite of the phrase 'the stars have aligned' with this combination.

Reactions: Alexandros

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I knew the discourse around Starfield was going to be a shitshow but I was not prepared for just how bad it could get. People are harping on and on about low review scores. The playstation fanboys on Twitter especially have been beyond insufferable. Even game devs are taking potshots at the game. Youtube/Twitch influencers are still testing the waters to see which side of the outrage they should land on to maximize engagement. People in the Star Citizen subreddit are pointing to 'flaws' in the game (such as not having atmospheric flight) as justification for why it's actually okay for Star Citizen to remain in development/unfinished for the rest of their lives.

It's an absolute, unmitigated disaster.
Starfield has to be the most attacked game in recent years. I could see that the game has weaknesses and oversights, but there are also many people who obviously haven't played the game trying extremely hard to discredit it.

I am still waiting for Game Pass unlock before forming my own opinion. But judging from some gameplay I watched, this one is a Bethesda game through and through and I am very excited to get my hands on it.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
My only complaint for Starfield so far from what I've seen (not played it myself and likely won't for a long long time.)

The JP voice acting is good, but poorly edited. ... There's also no lip-sync for anything outside of English it seems? But for example there is currently a viral meme in JP twitter, of a certain character whose lines include unedited hot-mic moments.

For example:

Here the "hai, sumimasen!" is not a line from the script or subtitles, but from the actor to his director in the booth.
Of course this is an American game and English is the "lingua franca" of the world, so maybe it can't be helped...

• Toucan
Reactions: sanhora and Durante

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Call me a fool but with how long Starfield was in development and the early vague marketing and the chosen aesthetic and atmosphere... i fully expected them to try and marry space exploration with the usual Bethesda rpg and i was intrigued to see the results. Instead it seems to "just" be their next rpg with better combat and graphics and a space theme that in places works against immersion. (just going by impressions and some stream watching, i haven't played the game yet)

Doesn't mean its bad, in fact i might be more to a lot of peoples tastes because of it, but personally i was already disappointed with Fallout 4 so mostly "more of the same" won't see me jumping in at launch paying full price. I hope everybody who was eager for a new Bethesda game enjoys it thoroughly though, who knows how long the wait will be till Elder Scrolls 6.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, I guess this is it, PC version confirmed.

As with all mainline FF, expect at least 6 months of EGS exclusivity and then Steam, DLC will likely be all released by the time the game reaches PC but yeah, it's quite unusual to announce a mainline FF game for PC so in advance.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I finally got a new 32" VA monitor. I had to get used of the size, but playing MK11 and Deathloop on that screen is really immersive. Colors and contrast are so much better than my old monitor!

I also played some Quake (the remaster) to test the 240fps framerate. It's incredibly fluid, but I got motion sickness after a few minutes. This is weird, since I finished the game on my old monitor without getting sick. I'm going to use the monitor for a few more weeks before deciding to keep it or return it.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
From what I can make out, the biggest sin Starfield appears to have made is being “OK”.

oh and not being on a Sony console as well.

What’s a little annoying is that it seems to be helping deflect from performance issues on the PC version.

I am glad that I chose to focus on BG3 instead. Maybe the shitshow will have calmed down by the time i get to it.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018

As with all mainline FF, expect at least 6 months of EGS exclusivity and then Steam, DLC will likely be all released by the time the game reaches PC but yeah, it's quite unusual to announce a mainline FF game for PC so in advance.
I don’t necessarily think FFXVI will be EGS exclusive. Seems to be mostly Nomura or Nomura-adjacent titles that Epic has bought.

I think FFVII Rebirth is a lock for Epic, though.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Oh goddammit, I regret buying XVI for PS5 so much, still haven't touched it, however Im managing fomo better than last time overall,

The one good thing is tha tI didn't pay full price for XVI on PS5.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I finally got a new 32" VA monitor. I had to get used of the size, but playing MK11 and Deathloop on that screen is really immersive. Colors and contrast are so much better than my old monitor!

I also played some Quake (the remaster) to test the 240fps framerate. It's incredibly fluid, but I got motion sickness after a few minutes. This is weird, since I finished the game on my old monitor without getting sick. I'm going to use the monitor for a few more weeks before deciding to keep it or return it.
I don't know how big your previous monitor was, but this could be related to size. People who are susceptible to motion sickness from games often have more of an issue the more of their field of view is taken up by the display.

oh and not being on a Sony console as well.
I think that's the real reason for the state of much of the online discourse.
What’s a little annoying is that it seems to be helping deflect from performance issues on the PC version.
However, the state of the PC version - both in terms of features and in terms of performance - leaves a lot to be desired. Especially for a game which had such a long dev cycle and this level of budget, I really cannot understand how some of these issues can ship.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I don't know how big your previous monitor was, but this could be related to size. People who are susceptible to motion sickness from games often have more of an issue the more of their field of view is taken up by the display.
I can confirm - I had no issues with Doom (1993) on my old 27" monitor, could play one or two levels without getting queasy, but the second I switched to 42" I got god levels of nausea, immediately.
Try playing from a bigger distance Ge0force

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Now you know how I feel with Silent Hill 2 given to Bloober.
I have to say that - without music - the Bloodlines trailer doesn't look so bad to me, but given its history is unlikely a good game could come out eventually.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019

I wonder if they'll remember to remove Denuvo from the game years down the line or if it will be forever cursed like FFXV. I'm still waiting to buy that on Steam.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I wonder if they'll remember to remove Denuvo from the game years down the line or if it will be forever cursed like FFXV. I'm still waiting to buy that on Steam.
It's weird the things Square remembers to remove Denuvo from and not. NieR got it removed for example in 2021, both Automata and Replicant.

Meanwhile yeah, games like FFXV still have it even though it's probably pointless...

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's weird the things Square remembers to remove Denuvo from and not. NieR got it removed for example in 2021, both Automata and Replicant.

Meanwhile yeah, games like FFXV still have it even though it's probably pointless...
beyond pointless, and they still have to pay for it

• Sad
Reactions: 「Echo」
Dec 5, 2018

FWIW, an editor from VG247 says that's not the case.
Not that it matters, since in any case it would launch at 80€

In the case of automata, it might be related to when they updated the game with the winstore fixes.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My old monitor was 27". I'll try to keep more distance from the screen tonight, but that's not easy when playing with mouse and keyboard.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I love how AMD marketing guy retweets this and how original tweet misses the entire point of ease of implementation.

• Toucan

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

I couldn't be less excited for a game. The FFVII remake, while very pretty, bored me to tears, and I didn't even make it 8 hours in. I have 73 minutes logged in FFXV. I think modern Final Fantasy is just not for me(with the exception of FF14). Shallow, nonsensical spectacles.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

EGS would be a mercy as it would save people who refuse to listen me about how terrible this game is a lot of money.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
EGS would be a mercy as it would save people who refuse to listen me about how terrible this game is a lot of money.
To be fair you didn't even listen to yourself. After playing the demo you said was bad, you bought it anyway!

Then again, I can't really talk. I was duped into buying Starfield.

If SE release a PC demo I'll check it out. If not, I'll buy it, and it'll have less than two hours to get good before I put a refund request in.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I love how AMD marketing guy retweets this and how original tweet misses the entire point of ease of implementation.

There is a lot more to this that I'm guessing just goes to show you were their mind currently is at now.

Based off raw data alone, sure that's today's information. And your not telling me that games take YEARS!!!!!!!!! to make so within 3-4 years especially when these AAA games like Starfield take time to make that not even more people will finally upgrade to an RTX card? Otherwise when it came to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, years ago why did they support 4K? I'm sure that if you looked at data that it would point it to way more homes around the world having 1080p TVs than 4K TVs. Is this because they tried to future proof some stuff?

In the future especially on PC, your games will keep on selling years from now, give people a reason to buy your games. Maybe they played it on consoles years ago and now have a gaming PC and can now play it at kich higher graphics fidelity.

It's just dumb. The only good thing that I have heard is that FSR 3.0 is actually really good, DF mentioned that they were very impressed with it. It may potentially end up helping Forspoken sell a few more copies down the road.

Also don't people have issue with devs having to rely on stuff like DLSS, FRS, etc. There is the mind set that yes it's true that games are becoming more hardware demanding because gamers are demanding higher graphics fidelity (current Gen does feel next gen enough) but it comes at a cost. Now devs want to keep up with those expectations, how ever they use those features as a Cruz and fix all rather than a last ditch effort were they have tried everything that they could have to better optimize the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.