Community MetaSteam | September 2023 - The galaxy awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I hooked up my old laptop to a TV so it could act as a console ( I main Steam after all). I set everything up, no password login, Wake on LAN, auto boot to Steam BPM, etc. As versatile as PCs are, being able to control them without KB&M is their biggest weakness. Something constantly breaks, it's very frustrating, Few examples:

• BPM overlay doesn't work in Shadow of War, so I don't see an achievement pop-up, I can't see the message when someone messages me, and I can't put my system to sleep while the game is running.
  • I downloaded Plex HTPC, added it to Steam, and configured the controller, and it usually works, but when Plex decides it's time to update, it just shows a big popup and Steam Input stops working. I have to pull out my laptop and accept the update. There is no way to disable auto updates except by editing some .ini files.
  • I added a Chrome shortcut to Steam that instantly launches YouTube in TV mode. When it works, it works great. But often it decides it just won't launch at all. No idea why.
  • After few hours in sleep mode, I suddenly can't wake my laptop with a controller.
  • Sometimes BPM loses focus
  • Sometimes I launch the game and all I can see is the Steam loading screen

Those issues are even more frustrating considering the fact that they are not happening on my Steam Deck. The easiest solution would be to install a Steam OS-like system on my laptop and I would be all in for that, but there are none that would fully support Nvidia graphics that are in my laptop. Some people buy these little handy dandy little Bluetooth KB&M combo, but I don't see it as a solution, I would like to not use it at all. It made me angry to the point where I started to consider getting an Xbox Series. I borrowed XOX from my brother in the meantime, I'm downloading Sea of Stars and Lies of P as I type this. If my experience with Xbox will be positive, it will be a bleak future for my Steam library, and the Asus Strix G16 that I recently bought.
As someone who mains Windows 11 + BPM on Steam, I do feel your pain somewhat.

I've got a Logitech K400 that works well enough for the few times I need to take control with a keyboard and mouse. It doesn't happen that often, but then again I don't have Plex HTPC installed on my PC. For any non-gaming entertainment on the TV it's the Apple TV for me. I'm hoping one day Plex will release the Plex HTPC app to Steam, so the client handles the updates. It'd be a massive boost to people running Windows-based HTPCs.

But frankly, a new Steam Controller can't come soon enough. If Valve just took the Deck controls and put it in a gamepad, they'd be on to a winner.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
「Echo」

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACLEJVCJOEBNVOEUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADCLKJNWEQRLFNVLENQRLVNLKQENVLàNQELN VLKNEV EQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQVLKQENVLKQELKVQLKENVLQLENVLLQENVLLQENVLKQELNLVQLEPVLNQELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLNVLQNPNRVPNQENVLQEPòMRVLERQPòMVPòEQPò

RIDER IS USHI-GOZEN, THIS IS STILL MY WIN

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
If you've been holding off on picking up those Humble published titles, this bundle is for you:

$14

Moonscars
The Wild at Heart
Dodgeball Academia

$10
Unsighted
Archvale
Flynn Son of Crimson
Void Bastards

$5

Ring of Pain
Ikenfell
Fae Tactics

----

It's too bad these games don't hit Choice bundles as much anymore.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am currently replaying GTA V occasionally and i am once more reminded that simply getting into the car and turning on radio in GTA games is amazing thing. This feature that is in the series from the start gained traction in HD era with some of the best song selection in games in Vice City and just got better and better with each installment. But dropping money on amazing songs wasn't only thing that Rockstar did. Together wit licensed soundtrack they went and actually hired DJs and then started making ads, news and talk shows for the radios. So one simple feature grew in something great.

Taking your car and driving around GTA V while listening LS Rock Radio or Non-Stop Pop while driving around the coast or through the middle of Vinewood while it is raining is still great experience. Same goes with Vice City and Emotion Radio for example. And there is nothing similar in other games. Many have tried but it's not that good. For example Cyberpun 2077 Radio feels like music player and not radio. Same goes with many other games. Some of them tried to make it a bit more like GTA radio like Mafia games with ads and news but that still wasn't it.

Now with GTA VI closer than ever i just can't imagine how far R* will go with tis feature. why i wouldn't be surprised that they introduce podcasts for example. One thing i would love to see is option to listen radio on the move. And I would love to see R* not being an a-holes and release it on PC day 1.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
If you've been holding off on picking up those Humble published titles, this bundle is for you:

$14

Moonscars
The Wild at Heart
Dodgeball Academia

$10
Unsighted
Archvale
Flynn Son of Crimson
Void Bastards

$5

Ring of Pain
Ikenfell
Fae Tactics

----

It's too bad these games don't hit Choice bundles as much anymore.
Dang, that's a really strong one. Only have Ring of Pain and Void Bastards, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy most (if not all) of the others. :blobeyes:
Also curious what next weeks Choice is gonna look like.

Last edited:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021

:steam_pigblanket:
This usually isn't a good thing for the costumers cause then high censor standard is applied everywhere.
Everywhere will get Germany censorship.
Instead of uncensored version for Germany, usually means blocked for everyone.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
from the trailer, it looks very similar so I'm sure I'm gonna suck at this game just as hard as I sucked at CS:GO lol
Oh it's definitely different. Got ranked into blue-tier in Premier, but I suck. Like the skill level of pink and above is insane. And I'm in a low pop region, can't even imagine how hard EU is.

• Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
There's not enough celebration gifs on the internet for this piece of news.

He's lucky the playstation brand is such a juggernaut because his moves have been pretty much universally terrible. Price raises for everything (games, console and ps+), going hard on GaaS games and devs, almost complete radio silence for most of the year and they don't go to any industry events anymore, and wasting more resources on VR and now this dumb cloud handheld too. He's been a failure in every conceivable way.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm sure the new ceo will reduce prices and delete all gaas games
Reduce, prices that one is likely a no. And for GaaS, potentially. Games currently in development will likely still ship and after that happens is when they may decide to keep on making more of them.

One of the weird things is that some people are hoping to see a rise in something similar to Japan Studio, how ever that may not happen and if it does happen it will happen at a smaller scale. Will we see more stuff like Gravity Rush? Sure but there will only be one game like it and it will release every 3-4 years. And not a huge on slaught of games.

Bloodborne is still pretty crazy, a game that is highly praised by many and yet somehow despite all of that, I doubt it sold over 7 million units world wide. Meanwhile Elden Ring sold over 20 million units and Sekiro sold over 10 million units (I do apologize if these numbers are wrong, but these are what I remember off the top of my head) and those were multiplatform games that were also on PC. And yet somehow one of the PS4s most praised games only sold so much. If that's the case then what can Japan Studio offer? Number of units sold wise.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
In which modes do these crates drop?
just from playing casual matches I think. I also played some danger zone a few times a few years ago. I think some also drop when you do the battle pass.

By the way it looks like they are going to be doing weekly rewards. and those creates may go for about $0.20

Reactions: Alexandros

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
There's not enough celebration gifs on the internet for this piece of news.

He's lucky the playstation brand is such a juggernaut because his moves have been pretty much universally terrible. Price raises for everything (games, console and ps+), going hard on GaaS games and devs, almost complete radio silence for most of the year and they don't go to any industry events anymore, and wasting more resources on VR and now this dumb cloud handheld too. He's been a failure in every conceivable way.
Hard disagree. During his tenure Playstation went from strength to strength against very aggressive competition. Like it or not, customers rewarded his price increases with record sales and Playstation has never been stronger.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
who knows what they're thinking, executives aren't exactly the smartest people around (see: squeenix) :p
Nah, I don't think we need to worry. It's just additional revenue for Sony at the end of the day, it's not like they depend on PC sales.

Reactions: lashman

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
It's hard to go back once you start releasing titles on PC, especially Steam. Steam users are probably the ones with the most patience, and despite accidents like KH even companies like SE can't keep ignoring them which shows there is money to be done
That and obviously there is the issue of raising dev costs. Ballooning budgets have to be recouped in some way especially if the biggest titles need 6 years or more of dev time. And what better way to give users that obviously didn't buy the console+game during these last 2 years something to spend money on

Reactions: lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
It's hard to go back once you start releasing titles on PC, especially Steam. Steam users are probably the ones with the most patience, and despite accidents like KH even companies like SE can't keep ignoring them which shows there is money to be done
That and obviously there is the issue of raising dev costs. Ballooning budgets have to be recouped in some way especially if the biggest titles need 6 years or more of dev time. And what better way to give users that obviously didn't buy the console+game during these last 2 years something to spend money on
Especially since the vast majority of those PC sales come from folks who do not engage in console ecosystems. I'm willing to bet very few who buy PS games >2 years after their initial release would have bought a console for them.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Hard disagree. During his tenure Playstation went from strength to strength against very aggressive competition. Like it or not, customers rewarded his price increases with record sales and Playstation has never been stronger.
A lot of that is the result of strategies that were set before his time. It takes years for some of these decisions to play out unless someone comes out with a xbox one level disaster then that can torpedo things overnight. Things like the price raises are temporary annoyances in the grand scheme of things sure, but the repeated hits to their reputation is a death by 1000 cuts situation that will play out over time. They're already being seen as increasingly arrogant and people are getting increasingly frustrated with their lack of game reveals/updates and overall lack of communication and insanely bad customer service.

Reactions: Alexandros
Status
Not open for further replies.