Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Because console warriors need to justify their money and time investment otherwise they feel they wasted their life. And if they have disposable income then they most likely have nothing better to do than to defend their favorite corporation
It's like football clubs, a tribe mentality. Never forget: you are with me or you are against me, there is no middle ground. Just look at how many times you see posts like "why are people so obsessed about attacking this game?" on videogames forums (this year I have seen it often with both Suicide Squad and Concord). The people against you are "wrong, weird, mistaken", they're icky and you feel the need to "correct" them, to make them see their way. It's a conspiracy, it's impossible a game may just be crap most people don't want to touch with a ten foot pole
Hell, let's go back to my favorite discussion in the last years: Sony is bringing Horizon Zero Dawn to Steam. Of course they're doing it because they want to get people addicted to the masterpiece that is HZD, all those pc trolls will finally play the game and see the light, they will finally fall to their knees and beg for forgiveness for all the years they talked shit about our goddess Aloy, and surely they will rush to get a ps5 just to play the sequel bestowed on us by the hands of the gods themselves. It's like they see everyone else as the hungry fox that desperately wants the grapes, and so everything that comes out of their mouth is because of they're "sour" about not being able to enjoy things
But you know, maybe the reality is that the fox has a plate full of other fruits to eat and so the grapes weren't that important in the end
I remember some dude saying he would get the PS5 Pro day one because of his game library/brand loyalty or something like that and it was weird. Mainly because he said he already had a PS5, so why buy a PS5 Pro and he said that's how we would have access to his library that he has been building up over the years. But he would still have access to it and we still don't know how much gains there will be for older titles and it they will even slightly perform better on better hardware or not. Since even Sony themselves say "could" and "may" they never said if they would.

---------------------------

By the way a second season of that one Sword Art Online spin off with guns is coming out soon. It's funny to think that it will actually be more popular now because during the time since the first season has come out, that genre of games has become more popular in Japan. Asides form FFXIV and DQX, are MMORPGs even that popular? Or is it more the idea behind them that's popular but not the games themselves since there is a tendency for MMORPG like Isekai series, but you don't hear of too many MMORPGs coming out, or is that because the genre's has evolved over the years to include stuff like Genshin Impact?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I remember some dude saying he would get the PS5 Pro day one because of his game library/brand loyalty or something like that and it was weird. Mainly because he said he already had a PS5, so why buy a PS5 Pro and he said that's how we would have access to his library that he has been building up over the years. But he would still have access to it and we still don't know how much gains there will be for older titles and it they will even slightly perform better on better hardware or not. Since even Sony themselves say "could" and "may" they never said if they would.
Well, a PS5 user buying a PS5 Pro is not much different from a PC user upgrading to a new graphics card, they want a better/smoother experience for the games that they already own. Plus they can resell their OG PS5 to recover some of the money.
I assume that even games that aren't updated to support the PS5 Pro would get some manner of boost from the new hardware, like, more stable framerates, or in the case of games with dynamic resolutions, being able to hit and stay in the upper bounds of the resolution range.

By the way a second season of that one Sword Art Online spin off with guns is coming out soon. It's funny to think that it will actually be more popular now because during the time since the first season has come out, that genre of games has become more popular in Japan. Asides form FFXIV and DQX, are MMORPGs even that popular? Or is it more the idea behind them that's popular but not the games themselves since there is a tendency for MMORPG like Isekai series, but you don't hear of too many MMORPGs coming out, or is that because the genre's has evolved over the years to include stuff like Genshin Impact?
I think MMOs are still very popular, but it's a genre that is incredibly risky for developers, so many just don't even try. It's a genre that is very easy to get completely wrong.
Online RPGs with a more limited approach are less risky than full fledged MMOs, so some JP games studios end up aiming for those, I guess (such as Monster Hunter, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and talking about Sword Art Online, there's the upcoming SAO Fractured Daydream which is also another non-MMO online RPG).

Reactions: PC-tan and xinek

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, but part of the reason I abandoned the old forum is because I was tired of dealing with systems wars invading just about every topic of conversation. You couldn't escape it, nor could you have an honest discussion with a lot of members because it was all one big game. Sometimes you would attempt to participate in technical discussions or about platforms in general, it's part of the industry we're enthusiasts for after all, but it was always the same. I can also believe that closed-platforms (consoles) make for poorer experiences and do not benefit gaming as much as open-platforms. The incessant system warring is something else.
Same.

One of the many good things about this forum is that it's not sufficiently popular for people to feel compelled to do free marketing and damage control for their preferred platform on it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
In Japan, MMOs are not in a very good place. I mean poor DQ10 hasn't been doing hot in many years. Hence the solo game. And new games are indeed pretty rare outside of Korea, or China-only games. But even then, it's mostly old games being popular, WoW is back in China and just reached its highest numbers of subs, ever.
Some light social games have taken over, and mobile of course.

But in general, it is more of a cultural thing, isekais and VR stuff have been popular since .hack, and the waves of popularity come and go... the concept being more attractive than the real deal to be honest.
How much did The Zuck spend on his version of Second Life? :steam_cleanseal:

Reactions: PC-tan

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
the concept being more attractive than the real deal to be honest
That's very well said.

The concept of MMOs as depicted in fiction maybe existed to some extent at one point when UO and Everquest were new. You know, back when a majority of players considered out-of-game communication "cheating". I'm not sufficiently high on nostalgia to consider that a purely positive thing, but it was certainly a lot closer to what is depicted in media 20+ years later, when modern MMO gaming is absolutely nothing like that.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
That's very well said.

The concept of MMOs as depicted in fiction maybe existed to some extent at one point when UO and Everquest were new. You know, back when a majority of players considered out-of-game communication "cheating". I'm not sufficiently high on nostalgia to consider that a purely positive thing, but it was certainly a lot closer to what is depicted in media 20+ years later, when modern MMO gaming is absolutely nothing like that.
Plus the objective of MMOs changed a lot too, now it's all about the grind for gear and being as fast as possible. And not in the speedrun way that has infested all communities - that's literally all Mythic+ is in WoW. Go fast or lose.

The whole feeling of exploration and taking it slow died in 2005 during Vanilla WoW... now that can only really be found in private servers with a very different approach to their community and goals.

Reactions: QFNS and Durante

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Right, just don't do that thing many of you like to do where you act like you're in a tower looking down on peasants squabbling over things that don't matter.
That IS funny coming from you, though.

I mean, you are only caring about AAA and that is OK.
But you are also dismissing anything as below yourself or your notice if it's not AAA.

So you using the example of lording in a tower looking down on peasants, is VERY funny.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
SE with another srinker too

Yikes the full release of FF XVI on PC is looking quite rough. Insane stutters & frametime spikes (possibly related to PSO compilation stutters) & very subpar perf for the visuals (drops to ~40 FPS on a 3080 at 1440p DLAA). Looks like game devs just can't optimize games anymore.
https://x.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1835699931610235081/photo/1
https://x.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1835699931610235081/photo/1

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandros

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Is the Judgment bundle a "complete your collection"? Thinking about buying the first game, and if I like it get the rest later. But if the bundle is unbuyable if you own any then maybe I wait.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Final Fantasy XVI is outselling God of War Ragnarok pretty handily right now. XVI is in 6th place and Ragnarok is in 23rd. Granted Ragnarok doesn't come out for several more days, but XVI is doing better than I would have thought.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I’m thinking of getting Ragnarok but need to know if it’s going to work on Steam Deck since apparently the PSN login has problems with Linux.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Here's mine. I highly recommend The Mortuary Assistant.

I'll probably add Withering Rooms and Signalis
Thanks for the list. I'll check those out.

I do recall hearing some great things about The Mortuary Assistant. That sounds like an easy addition to the list.
I've written an article on the stuff I've fought with on and off for almost a month:

If you want to know why (or well, probably why) many popular games crater in performance when you use an 8kHz polling rate mouse, then this explains it (in more detail than you probably want).
Do you happen to know how this works on Linux (through Proton)?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Is the Judgment bundle a "complete your collection"? Thinking about buying the first game, and if I like it get the rest later. But if the bundle is unbuyable if you own any then maybe I wait.
No it's not a 'complete your collection' bundle. Both Judgment games are really great though and I have to think anyone who enjoys the brawler Yakuza games will enjoy these as well. That said, the discount on the bundle is a mere 5% so it's not like you save that much by buying it. If I were you I'd get the first one and if you like it just buy the second game individually in a future sale.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I've written an article on the stuff I've fought with on and off for almost a month:

If you want to know why (or well, probably why) many popular games crater in performance when you use an 8kHz polling rate mouse, then this explains it (in more detail than you probably want).
I will solve this problem by never having a high DPI mouse. You are welcome.

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
So many games I want with big discounts and no money to buy them.

Continuing my saga of Saturn jrpgs I missed back in the day. After Grandia and Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, it's time to for SF3 Scenario 2. I gotta say, the increase in detail on the character models during fights is pretty noticeable.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
So many games I want with big discounts and no money to buy them.

Continuing my saga of Saturn jrpgs I missed back in the day. After Grandia and Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, it's time to for SF3 Scenario 2. I gotta say, the increase in detail on the character models during fights is pretty noticeable.
I tried to do the Shining Force 3 trilogy back to back to back and got completely burnt out at the end of scenario 2. I like what I played and think it's extremely ambitious for being nearly 30 years old, but yeah I just couldn't stomach any more. I'd say pace yourself.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
That IS funny coming from you, though.

I mean, you are only caring about AAA and that is OK.
But you are also dismissing anything as below yourself or your notice if it's not AAA.

So you using the example of lording in a tower looking down on peasants, is VERY funny.
But that is exactly what indie fans do every single day to AAA games. It reeks of pretentious art snobs.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I will solve this problem by never having a high DPI mouse. You are welcome.
It's about high polling rate not high DPI though :p
(But probably all high polling rate mice are also high DPI)

I'd never have bought one myself, but we had to get one now to test and debug this. What surprised me is that they are not super stupidly expensive -- the Razer Viper 8k we bought for testing was ~60€ IIRC.

Interestingly, there's even some measurable impact with 1 kHz polling, which is pretty standard these days and somewhat sensible. So it does affect, though to a minor extent, a lot more people than if it was only those exotic mice.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I tried to do the Shining Force 3 trilogy back to back to back and got completely burnt out at the end of scenario 2. I like what I played and think it's extremely ambitious for being nearly 30 years old, but yeah I just couldn't stomach any more. I'd say pace yourself.
Oh yeah, I played other games before starting Scenario 2.

Reactions: thekeats1999