Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I quite honestly don't understand how people find the RE games scary. If you actually wanna play something scary, try The Mortuary Assisstant or Visage.
different people have different levels of comfort with horror adjacent stuff. While I agree that Resi, just as any game that gives me weapons and an effective way to fight against enemies, can hardly be truly scary, I also understand that there is going to be people for whom the dark atmosphere and setting alone is already going to make them nervous and for those something like RE4R could already be pushing their limits hard.

I would assume many of these people could overcome their sensitivity if they played more of the genre, but that's a catch 22 problem, can't build up resistance if you are too sacred to play the more intense titles in the genre

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I quite honestly don't understand how people find the RE games scary. If you actually wanna play something scary, try The Mortuary Assisstant or Visage.
There are some scary scenes i.e. the dogs in RE1 and the first time you come across a crimson head. There's also a lot of body horror that's hard to watch if you're not a gore fiend.

While I enjoy the RE games, I'd consider myself a wimp with regards to horror in general. Probably my least favorite genre of media.

Reactions: TheTrain

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Looking at some AC Shadows gameplay, like this one:

Makes me feel Im gonna skip that game for some time to (perhaps until I buy a new PC), the Ubisoft formula has just become completely uninteresting to me and since Im one of the few who like the AC games for the story, I feel the story has taken a complete downhill.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I don't find the RE games scary per se, it's more that I really don't like the feeling of being hunted or surrounded.
The Evil Within was quite hard to play in that regard. I get so stressed when seeing someone close in with a chainsaw or something like that. And like, I still know that if I fail it's just a short reload and try again. But that stress still appears at times.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
The PS5 Pro has destroyed what little sanity was still left in the gaming community.
Why are people so desperate to push their favorite box or way of playing on other people?
How is it that so many people have so much time and energy to devote to something so futile?

Anyway, I'm tempted to get Forza Horizon 4 before it disappears. I wonder if it will get cheaper than this before it's delisted.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Why are people so desperate to push their favorite box or way of playing on other people?
How is it that so many people have so much time and energy to devote to something so futile?
Because console warriors need to justify their money and time investment otherwise they feel they wasted their life. And if they have disposable income then they most likely have nothing better to do than to defend their favorite corporation
It's like football clubs, a tribe mentality. Never forget: you are with me or you are against me, there is no middle ground. Just look at how many times you see posts like "why are people so obsessed about attacking this game?" on videogames forums (this year I have seen it often with both Suicide Squad and Concord). The people against you are "wrong, weird, mistaken", they're icky and you feel the need to "correct" them, to make them see their way. It's a conspiracy, it's impossible a game may just be crap most people don't want to touch with a ten foot pole
Hell, let's go back to my favorite discussion in the last years: Sony is bringing Horizon Zero Dawn to Steam. Of course they're doing it because they want to get people addicted to the masterpiece that is HZD, all those pc trolls will finally play the game and see the light, they will finally fall to their knees and beg for forgiveness for all the years they talked shit about our goddess Aloy, and surely they will rush to get a ps5 just to play the sequel bestowed on us by the hands of the gods themselves. It's like they see everyone else as the hungry fox that desperately wants the grapes, and so everything that comes out of their mouth is because of they're "sour" about not being able to enjoy things
But you know, maybe the reality is that the fox has a plate full of other fruits to eat and so the grapes weren't that important in the end

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
BTW for the couple of folks who helped me with my Monster Hunter questions, in the end, I've bought Rise+Sunbreak, and I'm having good fun so far!

The demo is not at all representative of the gameplay. The real game is 100% better (and prettier) from the get-go, and it does a decent enough job of explaining the various mechanics.

So far so good. I've killed a couple of big beasts, and I'm trying to figure out how to capture them instead. :slightly-smiling-face:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It’s not that I find it scary in story or setting sense, it’s more having just started it and now yet being familiar with the game play loop it stressed me out, I found it scary in that I found it intense not know what’s coming. Like if it was a movie it wouldn’t be scary at all.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
BTW for the couple of folks who helped me with my Monster Hunter questions, in the end, I've bought Rise+Sunbreak, and I'm having good fun so far!

The demo is not at all representative of the gameplay. The real game is 100% better (and prettier) from the get-go, and it does a decent enough job of explaining the various mechanics.

So far so good. I've killed a couple of big beasts, and I'm trying to figure out how to capture them instead. :slightly-smiling-face:
Glad you're enjoying it, I never tried the demo and barely started Rise (trying to finish a few end game Iceborne monsters before I go to Rise), so I didn't how the demo compared to the full games.

Reactions: QFNS

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
The PS5 Pro has destroyed what little sanity was still left in the gaming community.

Anyway, I'm tempted to get Forza Horizon 4 before it disappears. I wonder if it will get cheaper than this before it's delisted.
Because console warriors need to justify their money and time investment otherwise they feel they wasted their life. And if they have disposable income then they most likely have nothing better to do than to defend their favorite corporation
It's like football clubs, a tribe mentality. Never forget: you are with me or you are against me, there is no middle ground. Just look at how many times you see posts like "why are people so obsessed about attacking this game?" on videogames forums (this year I have seen it often with both Suicide Squad and Concord). The people against you are "wrong, weird, mistaken", they're icky and you feel the need to "correct" them, to make them see their way. It's a conspiracy, it's impossible a game may just be crap most people don't want to touch with a ten foot pole
Hell, let's go back to my favorite discussion in the last years: Sony is bringing Horizon Zero Dawn to Steam. Of course they're doing it because they want to get people addicted to the masterpiece that is HZD, all those pc trolls will finally play the game and see the light, they will finally fall to their knees and beg for forgiveness for all the years they talked shit about our goddess Aloy, and surely they will rush to get a ps5 just to play the sequel bestowed on us by the hands of the gods themselves. It's like they see everyone else as the hungry fox that desperately wants the grapes, and so everything that comes out of their mouth is because of they're "sour" about not being able to enjoy things
But you know, maybe the reality is that the fox has a plate full of other fruits to eat and so the grapes weren't that important in the end

I've just come to expect this conversation every time new hardware comes out. The turnover just feels faster now that mid-gen Pro consoles are more common.

While the talking points seem silly, I do have sympathy for console-only folk who have to take "whatever they get" from their favorite manufacturer every 4 years or so with zero say in the matter. The lack of choice or agency makes them have to spin the latest specs as a positive, like in this case the relatively weak CPU in the new PS5 Pro models.

The only part that rubs me the wrong way is how many need to drag the PC community into their little wars. It comes off like they want a seat that the Big Boy table and desperately try to square Pro specs against the massive choice & power found on the PC platform. And the only way they can do that it try to diminish PC ecosystem with straw-clutching metrics like dollar to hardware value, etc. Or remember how PC was going to hold gaming back when PS5 launched with SSDs? Not a great look.

The conversation will die down again when it becomes clear that current PC hardware options are so far ahead of a locked console ecosystem that warring will just look silly.

Only to be picked back up all over again when PS6 specs start to leak, lol.

At least it makes for entertaining popcorn-reading material sometimes.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Need some advice guys.
I've been wanting to upgrade my Ryzen 3400G to a 5800X 3D since forever, but I've given up on waiting for a price drop.
I'm considering getting the 5800X which is half the price (about 150€ which is my budget). What do you guys think?

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Like I said, it's double the price. I can't afford it. 5800X is a pretty big upgrade, just wondering if I have better options, but I don't think so.
Ah, was hoping the 5700x3d and 5800x are similarly priced in your region as they are in mine.

Since 5800x3d vs 5700x3d doesn't differ that much in game performance, the 5700x3d has been the "best value" pick for AM4.

• This!
Reactions: sprinkles

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

No more kernel level anti cheat. Good riddance.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've just come to expect this conversation every time new hardware comes out. The turnover just feels faster now that mid-gen Pro consoles are more common.

While the talking points seem silly, I do have sympathy for console-only folk who have to take "whatever they get" from their favorite manufacturer every 4 years or so with zero say in the matter. The lack of choice or agency makes them have to spin the latest specs as a positive, like in this case the relatively weak CPU in the new PS5 Pro models.

The only part that rubs me the wrong way is how many need to drag the PC community into their little wars. It comes off like they want a seat that the Big Boy table and desperately try to square Pro specs against the massive choice & power found on the PC platform. And the only way they can do that it try to diminish PC ecosystem with straw-clutching metrics like dollar to hardware value, etc. Or remember how PC was going to hold gaming back when PS5 launched with SSDs? Not a great look.
Yeah it's a cyclical thing, and really not worth engaging with.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Ah, was hoping the 5700x3d and 5800x are similarly priced in your region as they are in mine.

Since 5800x3d vs 5700x3d doesn't differ that much in game performance, the 5700x3d has been the "best value" pick for AM4.
Sorry, I misread your post.
I hadn't considered the 5700x3d. It's an additional 50€. Gotta think about it. Thanks.
Yeah it's a cyclical thing, and really not worth engaging with.
I don't engage with it at all, but Twitter is flooded with this crap, it's getting annoying.

Didn't they change how family sharing works? I got kicked out of my brother's library.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The only part that rubs me the wrong way is how many need to drag the PC community into their little wars.
The PC community more than willingly enters the war on their own. The moment this was announced you had people across the net screaming about how much better value PC is. PC youtubers like jayztwocents immediately making vids trying to show that you can make a comparably priced build (funny enough he couldn't) while smugly taking constant potshots at consoles in the vid.

One of the most eye rolling things I see is PC gamers always acting like they're above all the dumb things people do on the internet. I'm around them every day, I see the same garbage you'd see on a PS or xbox oriented discord or website. The same trolling of other systems, the same sense of superiority (arguably worse here on PC considering how they took an ironic master race joke from a youtube video and made it a serious thing for years). The current favorite thing they like doing is throwing around how consoles have no games because so many former exclusives came to PC....games they were begging for to begin with! You'd think that'd be a good thing but it just sounds like they wanted to win a list war.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The PC community more than willingly enters the war on their own. The moment this was announced you had people across the net screaming about how much better value PC is. PC youtubers like jayztwocents immediately making vids trying to show that you can make a comparably priced build (funny enough he couldn't) while smugly taking constant potshots at consoles in the vid.

One of the most eye rolling things I see is PC gamers always acting like they're above all the dumb things people do on the internet. I'm around them every day, I see the same garbage you'd see on a PS or xbox oriented discord or website. The same trolling of other systems, the same sense of superiority (arguably worse here on PC considering how they took an ironic master race joke from a youtube video and made it a serious thing for years). The current favorite thing they like doing is throwing around how consoles have no games because so many former exclusives came to PC....games they were begging for to begin with! You'd think that'd be a good thing but it just sounds like they wanted to win a list war.
Oh shit, some youtubers are talking about how they may be able to build a comparable cheap PC to the PS5 Pro, PC people are also entering the war!

No, that's not how it works and PC people making those types of video has existed since the PS3.

PC has always had the biggest library of games on the planet, the fact that you think PC people are entering the console war tells me all about the type of console communities you surround yourself with.

What has actually changed is that PC has gotten so big, Sony and MS can't ignore the market anymore and that fact is making console players very angry.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Can't remember seeing people laugh at consoles because they have no games. Im' sure there's some jibs here and there, though.

Just remind me, who has been mocking Microsoft for not having games, and also that it was pointless to get an Xbox because the games that didn't exist were coming to Windows? Oh, and how every single game that is not a cinematic action AAA is not a real game, even when they are it doesn't count because not published by Sony? And how Nintendo is fake games for kids? And mobile is fake games for kids/elderly?

And it's not it's new, the joke that "PS3 has no games" didn't come from the PC community...

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Let them have their war. I don't care who is winning because at the end all those games will come to Steam and run best on PC. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

Okay maybe not Nintendo games. I don't mind buying their machines though. :drinking-blob:

Edit: To clarify, I would love to have their games (especially Xenoblade) native on PC. But it is not happening anytime soon. So I don't mind buying one for these games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and xinek

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The console wars finished the 13th of July 2021
Because that's the day the Steam page for Super Robot Wars 30 went online, revealing to the world the game would have been region free
Mainline SRW were considered the most "impossible" series to ever release in the west, and it makes sense considering how many licences are parts of it (guiness world record certified). It was an accepted fact, an inevitability. A SRPG (hard to sell genre, even Fire Emblem had multiple bombs) with 2D animations (so looking "cheap") with anime VN artstyle "cutscenes" (another hard sell) and to top it off its mecha, one of the hardest sellers you can have especially in the US (and it doesn't help like half the cast is most likely something that didn't even release outside of japan). No one would take the risk to even try bringing the series in the west, hell even the one non-licenced subseries (Original Generation, which is fully "original") only saw 3 releases in the west (out of at least 10) the last being more than 10 years ago
But in the end it came out in the west. It took 30 years but it happened, and it was on Steam. Why? How could this happen? It's unlikely Valve paid for it, and yet an impossible game was going to be released in the west, and on Steam alone
That's when I realized what Steam really became, why companies like Sony and Microsoft decided to abandon the concept of full exclusivity, why all those big publishers came back without hesitation. By that date it already happened, that release just cemented it: Steam was the "safest" platform we currently have. It's the platform with less risks, it's the platform with less costs required, it's the platform with the easiest way to reach an audience. Releasing on Steam wa so "safe" that even an impossible game released there without problems. 30 also has a Switch and a PS4 version, but those didn't release officially in the west despite the game already being in english, this means those consoles have "extra" or "hidden" costs that made such a release too "risky", but Steam didn't have that problem. Multiple SRW released on Nintendo consoles, but Nintendo never even tried to help the series release worldwide. Same for Sony. And yet in that date we had proof the series didn't need any help to release worldwide, it just needed money, money no one was willing to spend because no one thought it was worth it, they didn't have hope on the PS1, they didn't have hope on the DS, they didn't have hope on the PS2. But they did with Steam, ergo Steam over the years became a platform with a bigger potential reach than even the best selling consoles
I said this many times in the past, 30 was just the game that made me realize it: Steam is filled with "impossible" releases, like games made by asian (not just japanese) devs which not even 4 years ago would have never got an official english translation (if there was even a way to actually buy the games in the west!), genres considered to be very hard sellers having no trouble finding an audience (fucking Fate/Stay Night released on Steam not even 2 months ago!), completely new genres or revivals of genres considered to be dead ends proliferated on Steam. Even if we pretend pc gaming didn't exist 5 years ago (so we only consider games released in the last 5 years) all of those points I made would still be true. Steam is an impossible platform where impossible games can be released and find an audience
Just think about this: when was the last time a livestream/gameshow (Directs, State of Play, Geoff's etc) didn't have at least something new I added to my Steam wishlist? The vast majority of companies aren't even willing to hide the existance of a Steam release for even 2 hours in this gen. Steam is satisfying my "hunger" in ways no other platform ever did, the only place where I can buy all the games I didn't even know I wanted to buy, and I'm sure as shit not alone in this, which luckily for me means many more users are using and buying games on the platform, which in turn means the platform will continue to be the "safest", ensuring more and more food for me and all PC users for years to come
So yes, others can continue with their little console wars to their hearts content, just as I will continue to feast day after day

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

ew...

"We can't do computer graphics anymore without artificial intelligence," he said. "We compute one pixel, we infer the other 32. I mean, it's incredible... And so we hallucinate, if you will, the other 32, and it looks temporally stable, it looks photorealistic, and the image quality is incredible, the performance is incredible."
Just what we need half baked games/programs that are "finished" with upscaling technology to make them even playable

I always viewed it as sort of a cupcake analogy:

We got a finished cupcake with frosting and sprinkles (The game is the cupcake, the frosting is the DLSS or FSR, Sprinkles are Raytracinng or whatever)

Now we're getting a digital album of cupcakes instead of an actual cupcake

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, but part of the reason I abandoned the old forum is because I was tired of dealing with systems wars invading just about every topic of conversation. You couldn't escape it, nor could you have an honest discussion with a lot of members because it was all one big game. Sometimes you would attempt to participate in technical discussions or about platforms in general, it's part of the industry we're enthusiasts for after all, but it was always the same. I can also believe that closed-platforms (consoles) make for poorer experiences and do not benefit gaming as much as open-platforms. The incessant system warring is something else.

So, who's got an invite to the Discord server (is it still active, I was there briefly at one point)? Time to trash talk some consoles

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

The fact that you get so annoyed by it is why people do it. Youtubers, bloggers and Twitter clickbaiters know that system wars talk brings in the clicks. And your very loaded and angry language shows that you are most certainly not above it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

ew...

Just what we need half baked games/programs that are "finished" with upscaling technology to make them even playable

I always viewed it as sort of a cupcake analogy:

We got a finished cupcake with frosting and sprinkles (The game is the cupcake, the frosting is the DLSS or FSR, Sprinkles are Raytracinng or whatever)

Now we're getting a digital album of cupcakes instead of an actual cupcake
you are being a bit dramatic here. If you play at 4K, or in the future perhaps even higher resolutions, there is pretty much no point to go native 4K, it's just wasted perf, when DLSS is so darn good that it's hard to tell, even sitting close at your monitor, the difference to native TAA. So at that point, he has a point. In particular when you focus on the next big thing, which is path tracing. Doing that natively (at those high resolutions) will never be feasible, compared to the huge performance boost you get with DLSS and frame gen.
For titles that are not pushing technology, and use standard rasterisation, on the other hand, you can still avoid DLSS and frame gen if you want, and still get above 60 even at 4K (with a really beefy GPU), but again, it's weird why you'd want to not turn on DLSS and get a huge boos there and be able to drive 60 FPS at 4K even without the need for a 4080/4090.

Given how good AI based upscaling is already (and I'm talking about DLSS here, at some point others will catch up to Nvidia on that one) I really don't understand why anyone reasonable would insist on native rendering. Is it about the exclusivity? AMD will have their FSR4 and it will eventually be comparable to DLSS. And if you run an older GPU, then you should focus on older titles anyway. Your new GPU will come with hardware support to accelerate ML based upscaling.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
PC, consoles, personally I don't care about the box, I care about playing games. I mostly play on PC because it's more convenient than consoles for me, but for others consoles are more convenient. Platform wars are just so pointless. Play what you wanna play, let others play what they wanna play.

PS5 Pro though, in my opinion, what makes it so easy to mock it is not just the price alone, it's that it has a premium price and doesn't even include the disc drive and vertical stand, at such a premium price a console should bring a bunch of extra stuff to make it more enticing, instead of removing stuff.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
you are being a bit dramatic here. If you play at 4K, or in the future perhaps even higher resolutions, there is pretty much no point to go native 4K, it's just wasted perf, when DLSS is so darn good that it's hard to tell, even sitting close at your monitor, the difference to native TAA. So at that point, he has a point. In particular when you focus on the next big thing, which is path tracing. Doing that natively (at those high resolutions) will never be feasible, compared to the huge performance boost you get with DLSS and frame gen.
For titles that are not pushing technology, and use standard rasterisation, on the other hand, you can still avoid DLSS and frame gen if you want, and still get above 60 even at 4K (with a really beefy GPU), but again, it's weird why you'd want to not turn on DLSS and get a huge boos there and be able to drive 60 FPS at 4K even without the need for a 4080/4090.

Given how good AI based upscaling is already (and I'm talking about DLSS here, at some point others will catch up to Nvidia on that one) I really don't understand why anyone reasonable would insist on native rendering. Is it about the exclusivity? AMD will have their FSR4 and it will eventually be comparable to DLSS. And if you run an older GPU, then you should focus on older titles anyway. Your new GPU will come with hardware support to accelerate ML based upscaling.
It was more about the handful of games that launched recently straight up required upscaling tech to even function properly
Used to just be a cool bonus feature

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It was more about the handful of games that launched recently straight up required upscaling tech to even function properly
Used to just be a cool bonus feature
Any examples (other than Alan Wake 2)? I know Alan Wake 2 always has some AA that's being applied, their engine is built around this, but you can set it to DLAA, at which point there quite literally is no upscaling involved at all. And even there, the tech (at least DLSS) is so good that I don't understand why you would even care about what size the internal framebuffer is.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Because Sony didn't want to sell me GoT I decided to buy AC Shadows to fulfill need for open world game set in Japan this year. As per tradition I again didn't gave Ubisoft money and I got Intel promo code for like 35$ xD They got my money for PoP Lost Crown and they will get more for DLC, that is enough money from me for them this year XD

Reactions: thekeats1999

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Sorry, I misread your post.
I hadn't considered the 5700x3d. It's an additional 50€. Gotta think about it. Thanks.
I am in a similar position. I have now slightly old 3700x, but don't really need or want a whole new PC (32GB, 4070). Most of my gaming time happens on a Steam Deck.
So the 180€ (plus a new cooler as the 3700x came boxed) for the 5700x3D seems the correct way to extend this PC's life for another 2ish years.

Reactions: Dragon1893

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
I've been thinking about what to play in October. This is my current short-list, but any other spooky-themed recommendations?

I've played Alien Isolation before, the rest will be new.

Here's mine. I highly recommend The Mortuary Assistant.

I'll probably add Withering Rooms and Signalis

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Because Sony didn't want to sell me GoT I decided to buy AC Shadows to fulfill need for open world game set in Japan this year. As per tradition I again didn't gave Ubisoft money and I got Intel promo code for like 35$ xD They got my money for PoP Lost Crown and they will get more for DLC, that is enough money from me for them this year XD
Where you buying these promo codes bruh