Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I doubt its even about the layoffs anymore. They are probably not making much money hosting/selling indie games. If anything they are in the red with how much $$$ they hand out to get big titles on Gamepass. Everything outside of GP is probably pushing them into the "not giving a shit" territory. And this probably bleeds down to support + other dev issues.
I do think it's layoff related because for a couple of years now they've been stripping their support staff. Last year I had a controller issue and needed to start a repair process and just to get a hold of a human was a saga worthy of the greatest explorer tales. It makes sense that this would extend to developer support too, they're also saying how it's impossible to get a hold of anyone over there. MS' obsession with AI is probably leaning in to them firing everyone in support too.

It really is funny to see the Series S struggle so much lately when a stripped down handheld of that console (Deck) is able to trot along fine for now. There are a few exceptions here and there but the Deck is dominating in terms of support and shear quantity of indie/AA titles it can play today that the Series S can't and wont.
Deck has a massive advantage in that it doesn't matter how bad a game runs on it there's no obligation to run things and it's something everyone sort of agrees on. Like wukong does not really run on deck, it launches but it's not playable in any acceptable state it has to run at like 480p and 20fps on ultra low lol. Series S has the same expectations X does despite being massively weaker and MS enforces parity between them which is why all these devs are in a bind. They can't skip S like they can with deck without skipping xbox altogether.

Reactions: yuraya

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
These cases are probably because MS has laid off so many people that they just don't have enough in this area to talk with devs and get these games pushed through the pipeline.

The wukong thing is because of their disastrous decision to go ahead with the series S which anyone who's been gaming long enough could see this coming. Things were "fine" at first because we were in a cross gen phase but we're now in year 4 and everyone is already struggling with the system and we have 4 years to go too. It's going to get ugly for MS.
I would argue that Series S is not an issue, it is lack of optimization from developer side for the most part in my opinion. Current console hardware is kinda more used for bruteforcing performance and not using hardware for better games. When GTA VI comes out and runs on S without issues that will be clear. Developing for Series S benefits all platforms. But as I said we get tons of games that barely run on PS5, X and PC these days because optimization is sh*t

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
It's still possible to see them in here, but the thing is that who ever post them has to write the website and have it say "twitter" (in lower case) instead of "x" and it will show up as normal. You can't just edit them either after posting, which sucks. So it's best to remember to change the link name before hitting post. It just makes it easier.

However if you can't see any at all, even the ones I mentioned then that is an issue indeed.
Twitter got banned in my country,

• Hug
  • Sad
Reactions: lashman and PC-tan

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Twitter got banned in my country,
You're not missing anything. It's basically a Nazi bar at this point. Anyone still on there posting is doing so out of inertia I assume. They can't enjoy getting they're stuff served next to insane conspiracies and racism.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
You're not missing anything. It's basically a Nazi bar at this point. Anyone still on there posting is doing so out of inertia I assume. They can't enjoy getting they're stuff served next to insane conspiracies and racism.
I'm happy Twitter got banned, and I hope it never comes back, I'm just a bit lost because conversations are happening around twitter embeds and I have no idea what people are talking about.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Decided to finally check out Ender Lilies and I'm loving it so far. Art, music and gameplay are all great.

Funcom about releasing Dune Awakening on the Series S:

"It's one of the reasons we're coming out on PC first. There's a lot of optimizations we need to do before we release on the Xbox. But yeah, Series S is a challenge."

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Another example of why Steam get's so many games exclusively for free and console version doesn't ship for months or years or never.
I got asked to take part in a like sit down/ask our opinions thing where they pay money about UI/design stuff a couple of years ago and it was about the Ease and usability of microsoft/xbox submitting to the store thing and I only really found it intuitive because I had to used Apple/android before and having submitted products before with them

Otherwise it was essentially drop downs upon menus upon dropdowns and I kept getting asked back (woo money) to continually provide feedback about stuff and it was like trying to explain to the people overviewing it why a bicycle shouldnt have donuts for wheels then them getting seemingly offended (okay it wasnt that bad)

it mostly made me wonder how anything got approved or anyoone really figured it out with no prior knowledge

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I'm happy Twitter got banned, and I hope it never comes back, I'm just a bit lost because conversations are happening around twitter embeds and I have no idea what people are talking about.
The twitter embeds on the previous page are about the XBox version of Enotria The Last Song:
Lack of communication on Xbox side, our build can't proceed the submission but the reply from them can take up to 2 months

We believe that Xbox is blessed with a huge gaming community and we would love to release Enotria on your platform as fast as possible, as we spent a lot of money and resources to make it happen, but this task is nearly impossible with Microsoft taking months to reply to us when we have the game ready for submission. If you'd like to help please let Xbox know about our situation, if we had a dedicated xbox account manager help us out this issue would not exist, thank you so much!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Last time Valve hired some outside gamedev people we got HL Alyx out of it.

Would be nice if the situated repeated for HL3.
Would be great but its most likely for Deadlock support.

If Valve is serious about pushing Deadlock as a big multiplayer competitive game in the coming years they are gonna need a lot of support and upkeep. That type of work will have to come from somewhere so they will definitely be hiring more n more people. Because its not like they will abandon CS2 or Dota2. Being a 3rd person shooter Deadlock has unlimited potential for skins/hats and other vanity items too. This shit could blow up to bigger than Dota 2 imo but you will need to endlessly support it.

Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I would argue that Series S is not an issue, it is lack of optimization from developer side for the most part in my opinion. Current console hardware is kinda more used for bruteforcing performance and not using hardware for better games. When GTA VI comes out and runs on S without issues that will be clear. Developing for Series S benefits all platforms. But as I said we get tons of games that barely run on PS5, X and PC these days because optimization is sh*t
Even if it is a dev issue the console makers can help by not putting out hardware that has less gpu power than a last gen device and not enough ram for this gen of games. Like I agree optimization in the past few years has nosedived but series s will only make this worse not better. It adds another system that devs have to design for (more work to the pile) and it also means every game this gen has to be limited enough so that they can run on it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Year ago I meet some of the Hopoo devs in real life. They were promoting Deadbolt.

I wish that I played more of the games that I own so that I can actually talk to said devs about the stuff that I like about their games. As opposed to just saying I have heard about that game, or I have that game in my Steam library.

Reactions: lashman and Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players.

While we determine the best path ahead, Concord sales will cease immediately and we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased the game for PS5 or PC. If you purchased the game for PlayStation 5 from the PlayStation Store or PlayStation Direct, a refund will be issued back to your original payment method.

Dec 5, 2018
This is wild, because it might be the biggest flop of the year and this is the year that Suicide squad launched.

Also, is this faster than amazon unreleasing crucible? (I won't blame you if you don't remember that game ever existing)

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
This is wild, because it might be the biggest flop of the year and this is the year that Suicide squad launched.

Also, is this faster than amazon unreleasing crucible? (I won't blame you if you don't remember that game ever existing)
No, Crucible lasted a month and a half. May to July. 2019 IIRC?

Congratulations to Sony on the GaaS Launch to EOS Any% World Record

• Toucan
Reactions: ExistentialThought

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Goddamn. Wonder what they could possibly do to turn it around. Is the game broken and/or bad? Or were people just not interested?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
When even Foamstars outlasted Concord.

And other than Concord, Sony also has this upcoming GaaS game too, while there's only a CG trailer for this one, it's kinda giving me Creative Assembly Hyena vibes (which didn't even get to release).

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Any day a live service dies is a good day in my book.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
I'm not exactly a big multiplayer GaaS shooter player, but I don't think I ever saw much in the way of marketing for Concord outside its presence in various Sony presentations, which is strange given that it was obviously a very costly project. Maybe they saw the flop coming and sent it out to die.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
No, Crucible lasted a month and a half. May to July. 2019 IIRC?

Congratulations to Sony on the GaaS Launch to EOS Any% World Record
Gonna be a tough one to top. Spend many millions to sell several thousands, only to have to refund those also and un-launch the game is gonna be a tough recipe to follow. Lol.

What a self own

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Goddamn. Wonder what they could possibly do to turn it around. Is the game broken and/or bad? Or were people just not interested?
It's not broken nor bad, but rather generic and plain. It has nothing going for it.

Reminds me a bit when Splatoon launched, it had two modes and a handful of maps. But unlike Concord, Splatoon had a killer aesthetic, innovative gameplay, and a full fledged single player campaign.

Like, you see your friends duking it out on Fortnite with Banana Wolverine, Goku and Peter Griffin, and in Concord you have to choose between fish tank on her head lady and a featureless robot.

Reactions: xinek and Arc

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I paused fairly quickly. This month doesn't have anything for me.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I can't wait to see the tidal wave of blaming chuds as the reason Concord failed as if the game didn't get a low to mid 60 rating by critics, but people are going to pretend like it was some great game that got derailed by bad faith actors. Just like how everyone hated forspoken because they're actually racist lol.