Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What's the big bullet point ? Will they give xp like candy ? It would be more of a turnoff to me.
While I hate some parts of the base game, I don't really want them to kill the point of old zones like in WOW for example.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Looks like I finished the "intro" in Limsa Lominsa, just took an airship to another city.
And got another cool cutscene :blobeyes:

The villain group design is also pretty rad.

And I learned a new dance, lol.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Ashe Lumina on Phoenix, currently level 17.
Cool, i'm on Twintania, level 32 and still a Conjurer/Thaumaturge/Arcanist without a job stone.
I'll have to visit Phoenix when i resub. I went to Shiva to get the Housing opened up but didn't get a chance to visit the MC player there. I wandered around and people were nice but you could tell it was an established server as the central hubs like Gridania and Imsa were nowhere near as busy as Twintania as everyone was in the higher level areas where Twintania is full of lower level peeps.

So i went skinny-dipping in their pools and streams :D

Twintanian visits Shiva Lavendar Beds: Boil water before drinking!

Damn, that was a year ago, i've been away for 6 months or so! Time flies!

Reactions: Ascheroth

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
What's the big bullet point ? Will they give xp like candy ? It would be more of a turnoff to me.
While I hate some parts of the base game, I don't really want them to kill the point of old zones like in WOW for example.
the big change in regards to leveling is just a streamlining of content. the story quests will be cleaned up and a lot of the real needless "walk back and forth like 5 times to watch cutscenes" will be turned into something a bit smarter. also i believe the xp will be tuned so that you can level 1-50 by just doing the main story quests without needing to grind out on sidequests or repeatable events and spamming dungeons like you did previously.

the new expansion works that way already. you can get from 70-80 with just the story and nothing else which leaves those other quests and such for leveling additional jobs.

also they made some larger dungeons with future story implications manditory and they fixed up a lot of the post-50 base game content that was pointlessly long on purpose and no longer needs to be that way, i think they said they reduced the post-50 quests by 33%?

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I see that inter world travel had been made easy on FF14 (it wasn't that way some time ago I think).
So, who plays the game ?

I saw EdwardTivrusky on Twintania (not active) and Ascheroth on Phoenix, any other player ?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I did my first dungeon for the story yesterday. And uhhhh, I felt completely unnecessary 😅
The others were just blazing through it spamming flashy skills and I just ran along and tried to be somewhat useful. But I probably could have just watched.. :grimacing-face:
Next main quest is another dungeon and I figured I'd give it a try.
Spent 15 minutes waiting for the group search to do it's thing without success, then quit :notlikethisblob: Desire to play MMOs declining sharply again..

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sometimes FF14 systems are just drop dead stupid. I wanted to friend Ascheroth , don't fucking know how to. I visited his Lodestone page, sent a follow invite, no earthly idea if this will do it or if you really, really, stupidly have to look for the player character's name while they are online.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I see that inter world travel had been made easy on FF14 (it wasn't that way some time ago I think).
So, who plays the game ?

I saw EdwardTivrusky on Twintania (not active) and Ascheroth on Phoenix, any other player ?
I'm kind of playing it on Coeurl. But I just want to burn through the story even though I have an obsession on doing every single side quest I can. Sadly I don't spend a lot of time every day playing it so I'm still on A Realm Reborn at Lv. 50 quests. I have Heavensward so I my character can go above Lv. 50 now. Sometimes I just do some crafting and gathering and side quests each day and that's it.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Sometimes FF14 systems are just drop dead stupid. I wanted to friend Ascheroth , don't fucking know how to. I visited his Lodestone page, sent a follow invite, no earthly idea if this will do it or if you really, really, stupidly have to look for the player character's name while they are online.
I'll check later today if I got something (Note: I play the trial version, no idea if that complicates anything).
Also note that historically I'm much more of a single player person than an mmo person, so I cannot guarantee how much I'm going to play FF 14.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hm, I didn't see any friend request or anything Li Kao

In other news, I did the second main story dungeon, yay. This time around my group was apparently not full of extremely strong veterans, and I felt pretty useful - even got a commendation from someone, whoo!
I realised that I didn't need to stand around and do nothing until the party is assembled, so I went fishing while waiting. After the dungeon I picked up the Botanist class and did some comfy gathering - almost leveled it to 20 already. And now I've picked up the Leatherworker class and am crafting myself better crafting and gathering equipment after I realized I could do this, haha. Let's see if I can level it until I can craft some better armor for my current main combat class (Rogue).
As luck would have it, my next main story location is in Ul'dah and I'll be picking up at least the Miner class :blobeyes:
Yes, I've fallen into a crafting hole, I think :whistle:

It's pretty addicting and suprisingly involved compared to what I'm used to from other MMOs.
It also helps that it's not a F2P MMO and I can rest assured that it doesn't overly waste my taste because it wants me to spend money on various microtransaction stuffs.
It does help that I'm currently on vacation and have quite some time on hand, not sure if I would do this when work starts again and I have much less gaming time, but we'll see.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, dungeon rushers are a nightmare in any mmo :anguished-face:
It doesn't happen that often, but when I find myself in this sort of group I don't hesitate to gtfo.

I also like the second dungeon very much (the boss was designed to please me :tightly-closed-eyes:)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
So, who plays the game ?

I let my subscription lapse a little while ago as i got burnt out and needed to play other games. I'm getting more interested in getting a resub lately but tbh i'd need to join a casual/newbie friendly FC as otherwise i'll just mess about avoiding dungeons until my sub expires again.

I didn't know you'd resubbed lately! I was considering resubbing and contacting you for a meetup on Shiva or somewhere but i thought you'd let your sub lapse. DOH :)

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I let my subscription lapse a little while ago as i got burnt out and needed to play other games. I'm getting more interested in getting a resub lately but tbh i'd need to join a casual/newbie friendly FC as otherwise i'll just mess about avoiding dungeons until my sub expires again.

I didn't know you'd resubbed lately! I was considering resubbing and contacting you for a meetup on Shiva or somewhere but i thought you'd let your sub lapse. DOH :)
It's unfortunate that you, Ascheroth and me are not committed to the game, because we would just need another and could play a lot of dungeons together.
I resubbed pretty recently, a few days ago.

On another topic, I'm getting super tired of ESO. Not abysmal but it's always just barely good to make it competently made, it's fucking mediocre.
Pretty telling is that I'm beginning to feel that if I play more I will waste my time.
Combat is shit, graphics are meh, NO effort on the lore exposition, BAD dungeons layout, repetitive gimmick like the disguise system (used 3 times already and I'm at the end of the fucking second island !).
The good part was the diverse cast of supporting NPCs, who had nothing of great value to say but was entertaining, but it seems it was just a starting zones thing.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Thinking of trying FF14 from the free trial on Aug 11.

I played the free trial long back, made a character, entered into the world and tutorials guided me on what all can be done. But I didn't like the character so I deleted it and made a new one, and then all tutorial stopped appearing (think the game thought I know the game now that I've made a new character).
Oops?
(still didn't play it more than an hour).

Are there any guides for complete noobs? Never properly played an MMO.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
The Lodestone (aka player homepage for FF14) hosts a pretty solid set of guides for MMO noobies:

The online manual breaks down a bunch of topics from controls to how to play with a party
Game Manual | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone
The UI Guide will help to understand the different part of the UI and how to customize them
UI Guide | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone
And then there are various other guides breaking down the various systems, activities, and what each of the jobs (classes) do in the game:
Play Guide | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
I'm excited for ashes of creation again ever since the lazy peon uploaded his overview of the game (the interviews the CEO of intrepid studios did with a bunch twitch streamers are also very informative)

I've followed the game for quite some time now but I fell off the hype probably a year or so ago but man this game is so promising. It ticks all the right boxes for me: open world pvp, open world dungeons, political system, religious system, meaningful crafting where the best crafted gear is on par with the best dungeon gear, the node system which is just bonkers and essentially means there's no two servers alike and so many more features that'd take me a while to write down.

Also the game enters alpha 1 in the coming months and already looks so polished in a lot of places.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Ashes of Creation seems like a working product in development, with decent progress for once (unlike Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, which outside of being real late, are pretty much shit in their current state).
I like a lot of what they're trying, and it doesn't run like complete poop.

But I can already tell you that the node system will never, ever, work as intended.
Cities growing and changing depending on player actions mean that as soon as datamining is in, people will force the best towns to flourish for the best "loot", mats, or whatever else.
Big guilds will control them with an iron fist (and almost all of them will be human-influenced since the most popular race is real obvious), nobody will be able to attack them and relocate nodes in less popular places, except maybe on a very small, RP focused server (which ain't going to happen for very long with the MMO population being so small).

The PvP severely punishing attacking non-willing players is a good idea... in theory, as people invested in noob killing or spawn camping will give no shit about becoming corrupted and becoming weaker/looting stuff.
Even permadeath has never been a deterrent in the genre, so the game will be an absolute gankfest that all PvErs will flee like the plague, letting the game rot until they change their minds.
World PvP is a death sentence for any MMO. Always has been, always will be. There's a reason why MMOs became the opposite of free PvP with time, people abuse it, people leave, games die. Then you get a few PvPers fighting over scraps, with developers despairing to bring new players with $5 sales like Black Desert, and absurd P2W systems to milk what's left.

So yeah, lots of potential, but two major decisions that will ensure that it will fail.
Or they modify things a bit before release to avoid their obvious end, they can still do so. But of course they'd need not to listen to a very vocal minority. The same that made certain that no new MMO would live...

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I've been following Ashes of Creation as well. It's been too long though, and they started with a Kickstarter project back then. They also released a "combat prototype" in a form of battle royale, released on Steam a year or two ago, which was a massive failure. The game is shaping up nicely lately.

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
Ashes of Creation seems like a working product in development, with decent progress for once (unlike Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, which outside of being real late, are pretty much shit in their current state).
I like a lot of what they're trying, and it doesn't run like complete poop.

But I can already tell you that the node system will never, ever, work as intended.
Cities growing and changing depending on player actions mean that as soon as datamining is in, people will force the best towns to flourish for the best "loot", mats, or whatever else.
Big guilds will control them with an iron fist (and almost all of them will be human-influenced since the most popular race is real obvious), nobody will be able to attack them and relocate nodes in less popular places, except maybe on a very small, RP focused server (which ain't going to happen for very long with the MMO population being so small).

The PvP severely punishing attacking non-willing players is a good idea... in theory, as people invested in noob killing or spawn camping will give no shit about becoming corrupted and becoming weaker/looting stuff.
Even permadeath has never been a deterrent in the genre, so the game will be an absolute gankfest that all PvErs will flee like the plague, letting the game rot until they change their minds.
World PvP is a death sentence for any MMO. Always has been, always will be. There's a reason why MMOs became the opposite of free PvP with time, people abuse it, people leave, games die. Then you get a few PvPers fighting over scraps, with developers despairing to bring new players with $5 sales like Black Desert, and absurd P2W systems to milk what's left.

So yeah, lots of potential, but two major decisions that will ensure that it will fail.
Or they modify things a bit before release to avoid their obvious end, they can still do so. But of course they'd need not to listen to a very vocal minority. The same that made certain that no new MMO would live...
There's going to be a bounty hunter system, which players can join, that will incentivize them to hunt for corrupt players, balancing this system. I also don't agree that OWPvP is the death of every MMO because clearly games like Lineage II have lived for ages now and are still being played.

I've been following Ashes of Creation as well. It's been too long though, and they started with a Kickstarter project back then. They also released a "combat prototype" in a form of battle royale, released on Steam a year or two ago, which was a massive failure. The game is shaping up nicely lately.
Their CEO has mentioned in an interview that releasing the battle royale was essential in identifying a very big flaw in their backend structure and that it helped them immensely in fixing this issue whereas if they hadn't done the battle royale testing they would've run into pretty critical problems down the line that would have required a lot more work.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Speaking of old MMOs, I'm currently playing on a private, custom WoW server.
It's Vanilla but with added community content and a largely roleplay ambitions. And it's pretty cool! There's a large upcoming "expansion" too, that will probably be the time to share more about it then.

What I find very interesting is how different it feels to other servers, private or official.
I saw one guy making a very dubious joke about Jews, and he got slammed by the entire world chat and the GMs. It's refreshing to have a community that will not tolerate any bullshit, because damn if it doesn't get bad elsewhere...

Fluffynov
There's going to be a bounty hunter system, which players can join, that will incentivize them to hunt for corrupt players, balancing this system. I also don't agree that OWPvP is the death of every MMO because clearly games like Lineage II have lived for ages now and are still being played.
Bounty hunting will do absolutely nothing. Very casual PvErs will not even set foot in the game, casual PvErs will leave after being killed twice. And then the rest of the more mixed players will leave once they've been harassed long enough.
Open world PvP is the death of any MMO.
I mean this is no opinion, this is fact: all PvP games are ridiculously small... and the dozens of them released over the years, including all those more recent ones are dead.
Lineage 2 is effectively dead in the West, with a player base in the thousands... including a vast majority of bots.

WoW didn't reach 12M by being a PvP game.
All the survivors like FFXIV, ESO, GW2 or SWTOR certainly don't survive because of PvP. If they even did anything with it in years, GW2 has dozens of active PvP players and was probably the only one that even tried.... before giving up inf avor of solo PvE content.

MMOs are not made for PvP. Gear and progression is anathema for PvP, except for people that don't want a test of skill.
Plainly a fact given by statistics: there are more active players in MOBAs and battle royales than there have been MMO players in the last 30 years. People do NOT want to PvP in an MMO. Or else they would have been playing them, not leaving for the options that allowed players to avoid it; Ultima Online proved as much when the PvE server took 95% of the population.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
MegaApple I'll go through my FFXIV Noob links and post a couple that i found useful.

As i'm at work tho have some videos while you wait.

Zepla's videos and community are great.

Larryzaur's "Basically..." Job overview videos are fun too

And some inspiration!

[UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]White Mage[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] is the best! (No bias here, noooooo)

( These videos are old so some of the specifics are different now but they still amuse me )

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have no idea how healers can stand the pressure and/or idiotic players :sweaty-blob:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
in ff healing is surprisingly low stress compared to something like older wow raiding. you even have time and ability to do damage in the downtime.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
In other news, I've also defeated my first Primal (Ifrit), got a chocobo buddy + mount and joined a Grand Company today! Since I've started in Limsa Lominsa and am maining a Rogue, it felt only natural to join the Maelstrom.
Also this game continues to look really good.

Reactions: ezodagrom

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Ascheroth There's a couple of CactPot "solvers" out there... supposedly ;)
Though in general i used the old "Y" trick. Make a Y shape either horizontally or vertically and then choose the other points off that.

You lot are making me really want to resub for a bit and try to get actually get my job stone.

• Love
Reactions: Ascheroth

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

patch notes for tuesday's ffxiv patch. content wise it may end up being a bummer for max level but there's a lot of qol and streamlining fixes for newer players.

should there be a dedicated 14 thread or is it fine if i just post about it in here mostly? i've kinda given up on all the other mmos i used to play

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'd say keep posting here. It'll keep the thread visible and maybe get others to post.
I'm getting more and more tempted to resub around the 11th i'm starting to miss Eorzea and my lil lalafell, Moon.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, at this point there probably needs to be a FFXIV OT in this forum lol. About 90% of the discussions in this thread is about FFXIV.

But I'm fine either way, tbh.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

:wd_cat:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I've just checked my email and apparently [UWSL]Black Desert Online[/UWSL] is [UWSL]changing publisher/service[/UWSL] so you need to [UWSL]transfer your accounts[/UWSL] to keep playing.
I think it's easier if you have the Steam Version.

Black Desert Online Account Transfer - by May 31st 2021

Obviously the regular players know this but those of us who only play now and then might have missed it.

Last edited:
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't played BD since forever, but it'd be nice if I can keep my character if I were to revisit the game.

Anyway, I've been playing SWTOR again lately, starting over as a Jedi Guardian this time. I just love it that I can play a full blown MMO like this with a controller, thanks to Steam API. I didn't start this MMO journey with SWTOR though, as I was playing LOTRO for a brief moment previously. The thing is, it's too cumbersome to play since somehow my ISP can't connect to the website (lotro.com). I found lots of other people with the same issues but I can't find the definitive answer other than it's my ISP. I could play with VPN but as said before, it's cumbersome. The game also won't connect with Steam interlay, so no controller for me. I always wanted to delve into LOTRO world, sigh.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Damn, I got back in FF14 and good news, I may have suffered from a severe burn out and not a total disinterest.
Not convinced the game can fascinate me again, with 1000 hours or so you tend to see the ingredients more than the final dish, but hey, it's to be expected.

Now, I'm not a total MMO lover, but the state of the genre is beyond depressing these days.

To the point I'm semi anticipating New World, a fucking Amazon MMO, with hellish monetization written all over itself.
But the world is nicely, let's be gentle, original, and the engine isn't from 2010 :so-good-blob:

jreid2112

All Systems Nominal
Nov 17, 2018
Quick question for those of you playing ff14. Is it better to buy the game through square enix or steam? Easier for me right now to get it through steam but if there is a ton of issues I get the square launcher. Also what is a good beginner class for new players that plan to play mainly solo...at least for awhile while I get used to the experience.

Reactions: Li Kao

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Quick question for those of you playing ff14. Is it better to buy the game through square enix or steam? Easier for me right now to get it through steam but if there is a ton of issues I get the square launcher. Also what is a good beginner class for new players that plan to play mainly solo...at least for awhile while I get used to the experience.
I bought mine through Steam. As far as I can tell there is no difference. It launches into the same front end as the Square version.

Also you don't need to use Steam Wallet for subs or cosmetic purchases. You can set up a payment method on Mog Station and ignore steam altogether.

As to Job Roles, just depends on what you like the idea. Follows the standard triad sysetm. Tank/Healer/DPS. Playing a tank/healer will get you into the multiplayer slots when you need to do dungeons and trials. I played a healer for a bit, but didn't enjooy the responsability of keeping people alive. However I played as the White Mage, the other 2 healers may be more to my liking.

If your intention is to play pre-dominantly solo, go for the class that you think is the coolest/looks most suited to you. I mained Archer/Bard for A Realm Reborn/Heavensward. Tried the Dancer (it's a level 60 job) once I got to Stormblood. I think that will be my main for the rest of the game.

However one thing to remember. Even though you choose a job, you aren't locked to it. Once you hit level 15 (may be level 10) you can switch to another job. That job just starts at level 1.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, if memory is right it is generally commonly agreed upon that you should buy the stand alone thing from SE, because they supposedly have some sales on their side throughout the year. But even if I'm right, well I have the Steam version and apart from that it is perfect. So...

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
You could save something buying the SE version (because 3rd party stores selling the expansions) maybe, but not that much. I have it on Steam and works flawless.
And I know it's a meme, but remember there is a free trial up to lvl 60 and Heavensward

Regarding the job/class, watch this video and just pick you're favourite. I only suggest to avoid pure healers if you're not playing with friends, just because White Mage is really boring in the beginnning (source: me healer main)

Reactions: thekeats1999

jreid2112

All Systems Nominal
Nov 17, 2018
Thanks for all the help. I ended up buying the game through steam and rolling a arcanist on the gilgamesh server. Hopefully the game will live up to the hype.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Outside of two minor problems with different dungeon groups I'm still having a lot of fun with FFXIV. Though to be fair I was kind of the problem with one of them. I had no idea you could return to the entrance of a dungeon and after a few minutes of awkward silence as I frantically ran around alone someone finally explained how. It was pretty embarrassing and I felt horrible that they had to wait.
At a guess, the haunted manor type place? I had the exact same thing happen to me. Everybody disappeared and took them a couple of minutes to realise I was a noob and didn't realise I had to hit return.

Annnd disregard all that as I was looking at comments from about 2 years ago. I had a senior moment. Lol

Anyway

Just done Doma Castle and had the luckiest run. Thought I would do my levelling roulette before the dungeon. Ended up getting it as my levelling.

Enjoying the Dancer class a lot, it's a shame that it wasn't available back at level 1. Still sometimes forget to choose a Dance Partner though.

I should probably have Stormblood finished (main part, not the intermediate levels though) by the end of the week. So far, in rank of how cool the story has been, Heavensward some of my favourite characters are in this expansion and shine, Estinean, Lady Icehart and Haurchefant, then Stormblood (just not as good as Heavensward) and finally A Realm Reborn.

The odd thing is I enjyed a Realm Reborns story. Maybe it was because I was constantly hearing how bad it was and it turned to be a fairly decent story. Just stretched a bit too thin.

Also I still have a nervous tick whenever I hear "Return to the Waking Sands".

(Edited to make more sense)

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
At a guess, the haunted manor type place? I had the exact same thing happen to me. Everybody disappeared and took them a couple of minutes to realise I was a noob and didn't realise I had to hit return.
Yep! That would be the one. I had noticed the group picking up keys along the way so my first thought was "oh no, did I need one of those?" so I kept looking around for one. It wasn't long after I looted one that they mentioned the 'return to entrance' thing.

Guessing they figured out my train of thought at that point. :LOL:

Reactions: thekeats1999
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Steam version is actually the same as it launches the same game launcher after you start it from Steam. The only real difference is the payment which you can process through Steam directly.