Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood. I really loved it. I would maybe go as far as calling it my second favorite Tarantino movie after Pulp Fiction and before Jackie Brown.

I can totally see how one can dislike the movie because it doesn't really have a plot. It rather is different episodes out of a slice of life of an actor in his midlife crisis and his buddy. Which might not be what your looking for in a movie by Quentin Tarantino. It's not even that gory compared to his other films.

But I really loved it. It looks beautiful. The soundtrack is great. The sets look good. The acting is great. Especially as expected by Leo DiCaprio and even more so by Brad Pitt. The scenes themselves are shot so damn good. For me it is a movie that you have to see to really understand because describing it makes it sound bad. Because there are scenes in it that only makes sense if you know a bit about the history of the real persons portrayed. For example there are scenes about Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate just going to town, buying a book and going to the cinema. Other scenes showing her being just a good person who is helpful to people and nice in general. Since the real Sharon Tate and her friends were murdered by members of the Manson family you expect the gut punch of seeing her getting killed. Which in this movie never happens. So the scenes don't really serve a real purpose for the movie. But that also plays a bit into the title because it is fairy tale with a happily ever after.
The movie just had me in everything it did. Also probably the first Tarantino movie without the n-word.

But jesus dude, tone it down with the feet.

Reactions: Firewithin

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Gone Girl. Excellent movie, but the ending was a bit awkward.

With so many camera's in that guys house, it's very unlikely that Amy wasn't filmed acting normal

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Saw two movies recently.

Annihilation - I liked this a lot. The idea of the Shimmer being this perpetually expanding zone on earth where people are disappearing and weird shit is happening is a terrifying concept for a horror movie. It made me think about how people would be freaking out if such an event were to take place in reality, and the aftermath that would follow. I guess what little disappointment I had with this film stems from them not taking the weirdness of the Shimmer to more extremes. For example, I had the bear scene spoiled prior to watching it so I was kinda letdown by the lack of hostile creatures throughout the film. It's not the film's fault, Maybe if I hadn't known about the bear I would have been satisfied because that bear scene was weird. But, I still feel they should have included weirder stuff. Ending was both great and bad.
I liked the found footage of her husband in the lighthouse and her encounter with the alien that was mimicking her movement. I disliked the scene where the psychologist disintegrates into a bunch of light before forming that alien... That was sorta cheesy. And I also feel the ending would have been better if they shimmer hadn't been destroyed. It's similar to my feelings on the film adaptation of the Mist... Why resolve it? The film would be better if the world was still fucked at the end.

Midsommar - BORING. What a massive disappointment. I was a fan of Hereditary so I was bummed that I disliked this so much. This film is basically a ripoff of the Wickerman (and does it worse) while not introducing anything new to this type of story. It also rehashes a ton of Hereditary stuff such as the genetically disfigured child (which serves no purpose in the story), tons of naked people, smashing heads, characters shrieking all the time, pagan ritualism, and a similar ending scene. Worst of all however is how boring it is. Nearly 2 and a half hours and like the first hour and a half is the most boring shit where nothing really happens. So dull. And when the horror stuff begins to pup up more frequently it's just a rehash of the Hereditary stuff except like 1000x less scary. Don't waste your time watching this.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The Kipo animated series on Netflix is great, y'all should give it a watch.
The art style may not be appealing at first but it grew on me :3

Need to watch Locke and Key down the line as well.

Anyways Witcha is next after Kipo, need to get to watching that already XP

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
A daily reminder to give the Kipo animated series a watch. It has such amazing style and personality to it.
It helps that the show's music is handled by some of the people that worked on Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Really enjoying the current Doctor Who series, it has some stuff I would've preferred to be done better but on the whole I really like it.
Hmh I should give it another go, I don't know why but I just couldn't get into the first episode of this season, so much so I kind of dropped the whole series haha. And this is me saying as huge doctor who fan, I just figured I must be getting old and boring.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Alright I continued with Doctor who and more into it than at first, just had to get past the boring spy stuff in the first 20 minutes. I quite like the new master and the dimension hopping. Only on second episode now so not sure how big that part of the season it's going to be.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The spy stuff was part of the reason some fans liked it, and well I liked it too XP
New Master is great too IMO.

Mind you, thinks take a major shift once you watch the latest episode.

Reactions: lashman

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Dark Fate is the most boring Terminator flick I've ever seen (not counting bootleg shite like American Terminator with Joe Lara or something with Frank Zagarino back in the days when people knew how to use VHS tapes). Even Genisys had more memorable moments than this trash. I guess it deserved to flop as it did, for John.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I stopped watching the franchise with Terminator 3 and somehow can't quite internalize that they could do worse than this.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I stopped watching the franchise with Terminator 3 and somehow can't quite internalize that they could do worse than this.
I still think Salvation was a right trajectory for a franchise, it just wasn't executed properly. The thing about Terminator sequels, every last one them was a rehash of old ideas, and there's only so much room to tell a story about the chosen one while using practically the same set pieces over and over again.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yooooooooooo! I want more of the Doctor we saw in episode 5!

Edit: Yes I know spoilers and all but now is not the time to be polite, because holy shit!

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just caught up on the Johnny Depp situation and wow. I'm usually one that separates the artist from the art but even I was disliking Depp and everything he touched when the first news came out about him so I'm glad to see him redeemed,

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Finished the last 2 episodes of Bojack Horseman last night. Love, love, love this show, even if I hate it at times (but that's inevitable when you can relate so much to some characters or the things that are happening), Well, I don't hate it, it's just... agghhh. Love this show. Definitely one of my favorites of all time. I'd even say it's #1, but it's all so recent (started watching it a few months ago), so it's better not to rank it yet.

Just make sure you don't watch it if you're feeling too depressed. I mean it. Episode 15 absolutely broke me. Like, to the point where I originally didn't want to watch the final one because I was feeling so bad. Had to lie on my bed for 30 minutes until I felt I could start trying to cope with life and things again (and no, I'm not exaggerating, it made me think things I've been struggling with for a long time and didn't wanna think about). That episode is both a perfect 10 and the one I hated the most, haha. Stupid fucking Bojack, don't do this to my poor heart. So, so, so, so glad the series didn't end like that. Still, despite all this (or maybe because of it), in my opinion it was one of the very best episodes. Just... be sure you're ready for it. And never forget that sometimes life's a bitch, but you keep living 💚.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So what if I like to be alone?!

Mada Kekkon Dekinai Otoko / The Man Who Still Can't Get Married

Oh boy, it's the second season of my favorite dorama from the previous decades (14 years ago!). While the female characters are changed, the star is still the one and only Kuwano Shinsuke. He's a 53-year-old bachelor who already has everything in his life. Money, status, his own architecture firm, spacious condo, you name it. But he lacks one major thing that most men strive for, a woman of his life. It's not like he's bothered by his single status, he's actually proud of it. Being single is just his way of life. That said, it's also not quite possible for a woman to fall for him, as he has such a toxic mouth and would criticize and sneer at anyone who has different views than him. However, he never really intend any harm in his words, he's just.. pure.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Nice. Available on a streaming service ?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Saw Birds of prey yesterday and after Joker it felt kind of a straight to video kind of movie. But I did like Harley and many of the fight scenes, wish there was more of it and that the movie was more "crazy".

Reactions: NarohDethan

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wait it's a movie ? I thought it was a new TV Show.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
excited to get home after work today and check out Locke & Key on netflix. huge fan of the comic so hope it turned out well

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Watched Toy Story 4 and rewatched The Incredibles yesterday. Both were excellent!

I haven't watched The Incredibles since it was released and man that movie holds up.

Reactions: Tizoc

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I’ve started looking for a desk so I can start my downsizing of my TV setup. It is pretty weird to realize that I do not need a TV.

Reactions: Li Kao

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Finished Locke & Key and I think I liked it. I just have so incredibly hard time concentrating when watching tv or movies at home.XD Only way I can watching movies is at the cinema.

NarohDethan Yeah when I moved to Paris I thought to myself that I would never again get a TV, if I want to watch a movie I'll go to the cinema. A monitor for gaming I might still get though when I get a new PC.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
It's been a while since I've been in here, but recently I managed to watch 1917 in theaters.

Really good movie with an impressive cinematography & well developed characters across the board. I felt immersed by the story as it unfolded & I felt I needed to see it through to the end. My only complaint is that, I felt my immersion was broken when I saw Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the army generals, through out the film lesser known actors dominated the screen presence, so the story felt believable to watch. Once Benedict was in the same room, I could immediately recognize him & I would start thinking of him as his other roles, like Doctor Strange, & would ruin any grounded moments I had with the film.

Luckily he's only there for a few moments, so if you can endure that, you'll able to watch it without any issues.

I started 2020 off with two new shows that are still airing: DC Universe's Harley Quinn & Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Harley Quinn
is a must watch for any DC fan. It expands Harley's relationship with the Joker, we get to see more lesser known villains of the DC Universe like King Shark & Dr. Psycho, & explore new takes on staple villains such as a British Scarecrow, The Penguin's Jewish family, Bane as comic relief (personally it's a really fun take on Bane), & Harley's past with her family.

It's a more matured oriented show, so be aware that the violence is something equivalent to Adult Swim's line up of shows or DC's Animated Movies as of late, a lot more graphic & gory which will catch you off guard at times especially in the first episode. Currently on episode 11 & I plan on continuing it in hopes for a second season.

As for the last one: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is an anime that takes place in an island city, where three young girls form a film club in order to develop animated movies.

It's a fun & surprisingly educational show, where each episode they're faced off a task to develop animated movies they're so passionate about, while showcasing the struggles, obstacles & challenges that animation studios deal with on a daily basis such as securing funding, cutting corners & explaining the importance of roles within a studio outside of the animators themselves.

It's a through look into animation & I recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in learning the processes while having a fun time with the personality-filled trio & their mishaps as they seek their goal.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Finished Star Trek: TNG the other day, last episode was really good.
Started watching the "TNG" movies.
Generations was garbage, hopefully First Contact will be better,

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Just saw Sonic, strange experience, not only getting hyped at moment but also seeing the cinema applaud after haha

Hmm mind sharing your impressions please? I don't mind spoilers.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hmm mind sharing your impressions please? I don't mind spoilers.
Well it's a simple movie, goofy, sometime feels like a TV movie, but it's Sonic and it has heart, like at first one would think it's just corporate movie piece but as you watch it you start to feel like there was someone that actually wanted to make a Sonic movie! There are moments that are genuinly heartfelt and Sonic is quite lovable, And Jim Carrey as Robotnik! Funny, Sonic calls him for Eggman.:D There were moment that I genuinly thought were cool. And the midcredit scene had me hyped! Hell it made the whole cinema applaud,
Tails comes through a ring portal to look for Sonic

Reactions: Tizoc