Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't like previous sequels and I heard so much crap about this one, from its cinematography to the choreography and story, I thought I would hate it. It's not so profound or thought provoking but I don't get the hate it gets, it's good and fun. Maybe it needed to be longer than one movie to better explain and pace some stuff is all. Up until it rushes to the end or maybe shows a little lack of purpose (like maybe they should have hinted they know of Trinity's importance to the whole The One deal beyond just being Neo's love before having a crew so eager to go on a suicide mission for her moments after saying it's impossible and explain the current machine factions/man dynamics better to show why it even matters, why they even have to go in The Matrix at all again, if they are among the people who want to live in real life instead and are allowed to do so) there's little there to even dislike and a lot to fangasm over in a good way similar to MGS2. I like how self aware it is in the first half and think the action scenes are great as they are and it's a good thing they didn't just retread bullet time and cryptic oracles to show most of it in full speed and full view. It's ace. I like the resemblance to Dark City's plot when it comes to Tiffany as well, that is one of my favorite movies ever and this doesn't feel like a cheap knock off (well, like The Matrix didn't feel like a Dark City knock off either despite the very similar themes).

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The thing with the new matrix movie, is that it is ok as a movie but awful as a matrix movie. None of the things that made the originals great is in the new movie. I didn't hate it but was very disappointed for sure. For me the biggest thing it fails at is the cinematography and the action. One can see glimpses of greatness but that is overshadowed by the execution.

Reactions: Valdien

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Just finished watching the movie myself, even though I was fully aware it wasn't going to be good. There was nothing exciting or original; all the villians were lame as hell (It's damn near impossible to top Hugo Weaving as Smith, anyway), and the action scenes were weak. Some of the action sequences also had a lot of repeated ideas from the older movies, too.

But the thing I hated the most was the cheap slow-mo effect that was used on the characters while they were talking/moving about. What the hell is up with that? Felt amateurish & was highly distracting. It was like they were moving about at sub 10 fps.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finally, I watched the first season of The Boys, in fact finished it about 10min ago, and it was awesome. It has been a long time since a show grabbed me like this and I can't wait to find out how season 2 is goone disappoint me (because of course it will...).
Self quoting to point out how wrong I was. Season 2 of The Boys was amazing and I'm eagerly anticipating what they'll do going forward. I don't think the show will last 5 more seasons, or that it should, but I believe a couple more should be enough to wrap things up and give a satisfying conclusion.
The show is such a great allegory of modern culture, we really need more things (movies, tv shows, books, music) like this to see if we can all wake up from the collective numbness we're currently living through.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Kind of stretching the meaning of the thread but the James Webb Space Telescope is looking good to launch today after delays yesterday.
Currently 5 minutes away from launch according to the counter! 1 minute to go....! ... and launched! Yeah! Final burn just started.

Been waiting for this for years and they have a green light for weather during the launch window so it's looking good so far.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Kind of stretching the meaning of the thread but the James Webb Space Telescope is looking good to launch today after delays yesterday.
Currently 5 minutes away from launch according to the counter! 1 minute to go....! ... and launched! Yeah! Final burn just started.

Been waiting for this for years and they have a green light for weather during the launch window so it's looking good so far.
Historic. Hopefully we won't discover something we ain't meant to know. :oops:

Reactions: LEANIJA and Stevey

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I watched the Danial Craig 007 movies over the last week or so while i grinded through an event in FGO on my phone. I quite liked them overall. Cannot believe how the last one ended, but still I loved that one too.

If I had one request for future Bond movies? Maybe a little more espionage and actual "spy" stuff.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
If I had one request for future Bond movies? Maybe a little more espionage and actual "spy" stuff.
I would love if they cast a young enough actor to actually go through all the original Fleming material again, and more faithfully this time – and set it in the 50s and 60s when it all took place. Bond was out of time since the 90s, basically, I think it would do him good to be back where it started.

~

I just watched "Death to 2021" on Netflix, basically the same as "Death to 2020" – at times it felt like we already watched it, because its copying its own formula. Still, entertaining enough. And, of course, spooky how crazy some people have become these last couple years.

~

Also watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix, a satire about a massive comet heading towards Earth with a 100% chance of impact and annihilation of all life – but people arent taking it seriously, including the US president – and a billionaire sees profit and ignores the danger. It all seems very plausible 😬

James Webb Space Telescope
I've also followed this for years. I'm glad that finally happened and looking forward to what results it will bring us. Exciting =)

~

Edit: adding the links to the mentioned films:

Death to 2021

Dont look up

Last edited:

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Really enjoyed Dexter New Blood. Overall it was a nice rebound from the previous series finale which was awful. Episode 9 in particular was fucking incredible and felt like classic peak Dexter.

I was somewhat disappointed by episode 10. After the incredible episode 9 I was hoping that the series would continue for another season maybe with Dexter outed and on the run, but they probably made the right choice to go out while they were on a good run quality-wise. I was feeling too greedy. :)

Honestly, I was never a fan of Dexter getting punished for his crimes rather I was just hoping that the character would simply fade away, but the show-runners seemed to be really obsessed with him either dying or getting capital punishment. Anyway, it was great to see Michael C Hall bring that character back.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished 3 shows:
  • Witcher S02: I thought it was excellent and an improvement over S01 (apart from the first episode). Geralt is now a full fledged character whereas previously he was a hollow meatshield and Henry's performance increased tenfold. The actress playing Ciri was also great throughout the season.
  • Foundation S01: This was a weird one. On one hand the world, lore and characters are super interesting but I can't really say I enjoy the mix of magic and scy-fi, it always feels like a cop-out and cheap solution.
  • Invasion S01: Very slow start with a highly questionable direction and plotline in the first episode, that slowly picks up steam and becomes enjoyable by the midpoint but sadly the resolution falls into the "magic" trapping which soured it for me in the end.

No idea what I'll see next but I need to find the time to watch matrix and dune.
Maybe The Expanse ends in a couple of weeks and I'll watch that.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Watched The Power of the Dog, what a shit ending and what a fucking let down. Do not watch.
I thought it'd culminate to a redemption arc for rugged violent closeted gay Phil warming up via Peter and everyone being better off but the little psychotic dipshit just saw a way to murder him on the sly with the anthrax poisoned cow's hide he gave him to use for the rope that was lovingly made for him?! 😡

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So apparently S06E06 of The Expanse is the final of the series from what ppl say. I really liked most seasons, it's an awesome sci fi show like BSG minus the shit that became by the end but, I'd never guess that's the last we'll get, there are things introduced in the season that go completely unresolved, it's more like a cliff hanger for what comes next, I don't understand, it feels like any other season that would go on to continue the story, nothing hints at the end of anything.
Like the ships getting lost through the gates, was that really introduced only to get them to clevery kill Inaros through that or what? And what's going on with the kid resurrected and seeing shit like protomolecule vision or what's being created above the planet's sky again presumably by the protomolecule?

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
So apparently S06E06 of The Expanse is the final of the series from what ppl say. I really liked most seasons, it's an awesome sci fi show like BSG minus the shit that became by the end but, I'd never guess that's the last we'll get, there are things introduced in the season that go completely unresolved, it's more like a cliff hanger for what comes next, I don't understand, it feels like any other season that would go on to continue the story, nothing hints at the end of anything.
I heard that their is a time jump of 30 years after book 6 (and therefore season 6).
As far as I know the authors of the book series are involved in the TV production and they thought that this was a good point to stop (for now).
It would probably also be hard (expensive) to age up the actors accordingly.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Finally got around to making use of my Paramount+ sub and watched South Park: Post Covid and South Park: Post Covid: Return of Covid.

And I have to say it was very good. All the stuff with the future, Alexa, blade runner, NFTs and Cartman was amazing. A lot of good laughs.

I haven't watched much of that show in the past 10-12 years but they definitely still got it.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Being in a comic book mood right now, I would really like to watch Peacemaker :anguished-face:
I guess I could try some VPN shenanigan, but then again, I'm pretty sure the only subs I will get are EN (ok, I guess) and fucking closed caption (vile shit).

Not pleased. At all.
Just for the sake of it, is there a dominant VPN these days one should sub to ? I'm not sure I will do it, but hey.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I watch True Lies today. Oh my god my stomach hurts from all the laughing. This movie is hilarious!

Reactions: LEANIJA

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh, yeah That Fett show is out isn't it? I haven't watched anything on Disney+ for about 2 months.
I'll wait for it to finish and binge watch it one evening.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
The first four episodes about Fett were pretty boring, not bad, but next to Mando, just not the same. He stole the series away from Boba Fett in episode 5 for sure. The episode last night could have been the season 3 premiere to The Mandalorian and no one would have been disappointed.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Sophie Thatcher, who is coming off her breakout role in the hit Showtime series Yellowjackets, and Chris Messina are set to star in the 20th Century Studios adaptation of the Stephen King short story The Boogeyman, with 21 Laps producing.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Peacekeeper has been pretty good! Much better than I expected it to be. Hell at first I didn't even intend to watch it but after seeing people rave about it I thought I would give it a chance.

Reactions: Li Kao

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I watched Hyperdrive on Netflix. Just 10 Episodes. It was fun.

Not many know this but I actually like racing and drift/street cars. Not Nascar, that's stupid. But yes, my first car was an RX7 and you can bet your butt I had my own fun with it.

So this was a fun little romp to watch on the second monitor and pass some time.

Reactions: Li Kao

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The return of MoviePass will be announced today:

I'll give it a year before it dies again.

Moviepass really was a stupid amazing thing. I burned out on it after 3 or 4 months. Watched like 12 or 13 movies.

The thing that you realize with a service like that is just how many bad movies there are heh and how many of them aren't deserving of big screen cinema.

Its not worth the time sink and headache of needing to watch something. Not worth whatever money you save either tbh.

Going to the movies 2 or 3 times a year to see the real good stuff is still the optimal experience imo.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

New Futurama announced for 2023 – on Hulu and Disney+
John Dimaggio (Bender) is still in talks about returning, tho.

~

I've just been rewatching Archer. What a great show :D

• Eyes
Reactions: Pommes

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I still can't understand how futurama died and the simpsons still lives on. Please make it make sense :weary-face:

Reactions: LEANIJA

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Paramount is getting the Enterprise gang back together. No, not the 1960s series-turned-film series cast, but rather the cast of the J.J. Abrams-relaunch that debuted in 2009 and went on to star in two subsequent movies.
I'm fine with this. I like the new Star Trek timeline. I just wish they would jump forward and show the alternate reality version of Picard or Sisko.

Reactions: dummmyy

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Sources say that most, if not all, rep teams for the franchise’s primary talent were not aware that an announcement for another film was coming, much less that their clients would be touted as a part of the deal during a Wall Street event.
WTF is Paramount even doing?

• Eyes
Reactions: Pommes

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I finished Reacher. "Tough guy vs bad guy" story never gets old, and all the main characters are written pretty good. Had a great time watching the show.

Reactions: dummmyy and Pommes