Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
I can't even tell you how many DVDs I have. :giggle:

With Blu-Ray releases, I started making a list, because with the DVD format I ended up forgetting I owned something, and bought it again.

It's pretty much my passion, cinema.
I grew up frequently going to the cinema (3-4 times a week, sometimes more) and "devouring" films on my VHS rental stores, pretty much any genre you can think of. But, I always had a soft spot for Italian cinema in general, and genre films (horror, sci-fi, westerns, action, ...).

In the last few years, since I simply don't connect with most recent films (I like sets, I like practical effects, I like guys in rubber suits; and I really don't like excessive use of CGI effects), I have been going less and less to the cinema, and instead I keep watching older stuff at home. :)
i just recently watched Fellinis Le notti di Cabiria and La Strada is one of my favorite movies ever. also Antonioni is godlike in his best

Deleted member 113

i just recently watched Fellinis Le notti di Cabiria and La Strada is one of my favorite movies ever. also Antonioni is godlike in his best
I was editing my post when you replied, but I started talking about my purchases, and I forgot to mention how much great stuff you bought! (y)

To quote my edit above:

I'm a huge Dario Argento fan (I actually met him, and have copies of Suspira, Profondo Rosso, and more signed with a dedication to me by him, and composer Claudio Simonetti) and the Giallo genre in general, I love Robocop (and Paul Verhoeven), Spaceballs, The Thing is my favourite Carpenter movie (and I love Carpenter), and don't get me started on those spaghetti westerns you bought (I love Sergio Leone!).

EDIT: And Where Eagles Dare! And Hitchcock! And Mandy (I watched that one on the big screen :D).

Reactions: JackPineSavage

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
I was editing my post when you replied, but I started talking about my purchases, and I forgot to mention how much great stuff you bought! (y)

To quote my edit above:

I'm a huge Dario Argento fan (I actually met him, and have copies of Suspira, Profondo Rosso, and more signed with a dedication to me by him, and composer Claudio Simonetti) and the Giallo genre in general, I love Robocop (and Paul Verhoeven), Spaceballs, The Thing is my favourite Carpenter movie (and I love Carpenter), and don't get me started on those spaghetti westerns you bought (I love Sergio Leone!).
For my shame i haven't seen any argento movies before lol. Prince of darkness and in the mouth of madness are also great from carpenter! Italians made a lot of the best western movies for sure and leone was a god

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Man, Karl Urban was so good at that nonchalant asshole type he played. My only gripe was that will-they-won't-they romance arch. I felt like it was taking away from the show but I understood its driving force, ultimately. I watched it all within a 24 span. i was enamored by the characters as well. Wasn't familiar with Kripke before this, but after your review I might just leave it to The Boys, lol.
To be fair, the romance between Hughie and Starlight was in the comic book as well, for what its worth I think Kripke handled it better than Ennis.

Kripke is an acquired taste, plenty of people enjoy first five seasons of Supernatural (when he was a showrunner) and it's usually considered to be the best part of the show. Personally, I thought it took itself too seriously and the main arc episodes were never fun to watch. His other show, Revolution, on the other hand was pretty bad right out of the gate and seemingly never got better.

Reactions: dummmyy

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
To be fair, the romance between Hughie and Starlight was in the comic book as well, for what its worth I think Kripke handled it better than Ennis.

Kripke is an acquired taste, plenty of people enjoy first five seasons of Supernatural (when he was a showrunner) and it's usually considered to be the best part of the show. Personally, I thought it took itself too seriously and the main arc episodes were never fun to watch. His other show, Revolution, on the other hand was pretty bad right out of the gate and seemingly never got better.
first 5 seasons of supernatural are pretty good.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Just want to drop in and say

FUCK. DISNEY. Fuck off with your Disney plus and ownership of hulu. I haven't seen Toy Story, lion king, Spider-Man, I took my GF to infinity war bc I love my gf, you can be sure I won't see any of your movies soon.

Deleted member 113

Just want to drop in and say

FUCK. DISNEY. Fuck off with your Disney plus and ownership of hulu. I haven't seen Toy Story, lion king, Spider-Man, I took my GF to infinity war bc I love my gf, you can be sure I won't see any of your movies soon.
It's depressing that they basically own everything.
Which means, many older films are "doomed" to be unavailable on home video formats, and even streaming platforms, because they simply have no interest in making them available.

And their brand of movie making pretty much made me stop going to the cinema.

Reactions: lashman

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
In the last week, I've seen Booksmart, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood, and The Lion King in 3D.

I loved all 3 movies and my ranking would be this:

1. Booksmart
2. The Lion King
3. Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

I can't wait to Mulan in Spring 2020.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Just saw Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw, which was just plain dang ol' fun.

I kept thinking why the action was so good in this, but it all made sense when I saw David Leitch's name pop-up in the credits.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019

Barton Fink - 9/10

So engaging still after all these years. Probably my second favorite Cohen Bros flick apart from Fargo. Love how this film genuinely feels like an old school crime noir. Tuturro and Goodman bounce off one another like old friends. That last scene is gorgeous. This movie is like a fine wine. Magnificent from start to finish.

Avengers: Infinity War - 4/10

I consider myself a comic book fan. I've read plenty of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Batman, Venom, etc. My friend insisted I watch this. While I enjoyed both Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy well enough - I just don't get Infinity War. As a self-contained film, this is dreadful - one lengthy CGI cut scene. There's not a single character here which I felt I could root for. Maybe Gomorah? Too many characters, none of which felt developed within the lengthy time frame around here. Major plot points just glazed over to rush along to the next scene. Never really felt the weight of the action either, as too much of it was green screen apparent. Lots of shoddy CGI as well.. Just not for me.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

Avengers End Game - 8/10

Curiosity overcame my cynicism and I'm so damn glad that it did. Ambitious as all hell, and chock full of heart, End Game rectifies everything I disliked about Infinity War, and transpired my expectations ten-fold. Here is a film which actually felt like a comic book, significant character development alongside twists and turns which could only result from a film of this magnitude. That final battle scene, post-battle scene. This movie was a love letter to this monopoly of a universe which sprouted from Favreau's Iron Man. Just glorious, and poetic. About as solid as a popcorn flick could be.

Maybe I should re-watch Infinity War.... meh.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yes I spent money to rent Hellboy (2019).

And yes, I may have had a tall boy while watching it.

So, when I say that I didn't hate it and I liked parts of it, please understand that I have read the entire run of the Hellboy comics and swooned over seeing actual storylines and characters from the books.

So, it was fine.

Reactions: teezzy

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Yes I spent money to rent Hellboy (2019).

And yes, I may have had a tall boy while watching it.

So, when I say that I didn't hate it and I liked parts of it, please understand that I have read the entire run of the Hellboy comics and swooned over seeing actual storylines and characters from the books.

So, it was fine.
As someone who has never actually read Hellboy before... where should I start? Is there a collected volume worth picking up?

Are you a fan of The Goon? I've heard good things about that as well

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

Captain Marvel - 8/10

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a woman wearing a leather jacket and a Nine Inch Nails shirt. Shame on everyone who led me to believe this movie was just "okay", I had a blast. Loved the 90's nostalgia even if they did lay it on a little thick. Seeing young Samuel L Jackson was neat. That de-aging tech they're using for movies now is getting kinda freaky. Loved all the space scenes, reminded me of Star Trek Discovery a bit. Cool soundtrack. Scene where Captain Marvel realizes she's 'only human" hit me where it counts. Solid flick.

Deleted member 113

After a few bad experiences with big studios, director Alex Proyas (Dark City, The Crow, ...) has made a short film for his youtube channel:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Started watching Legion season 2 and wow I can't get into it at all, it's just too weird and I can't grab onto anything.XD

Also, latest season of black mirror was quite rubbish right!?

Or am I super picky about TV now that I've watched Chernobyl?

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Started watching Legion season 2 and wow I can't get into it at all, it's just too weird and I can't grab onto anything.XD

Also, latest season of black mirror was quite rubbish right!?

Or am I super picky about TV now that I've watched Chernobyl?
I'd stick with legion as the third season is pretty good from what I hear and the two episodes I managed to watch. Second season picks up in a big way.

Nothing wrong with being picky, our time on earth is limited. (I paid money to see the new Hellboy :flushed-face:)

Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'd stick with legion as the third season is pretty good from what I hear and the two episodes I managed to watch. Second season picks up in a big way.

Nothing wrong with being picky, our time on earth is limited. (I paid money to see the new Hellboy :flushed-face:)
Alright I'll stick with legion!:) And you are right, time is limited but I usually just watch junk on YouTube so I try to find good TV to watch instead.:D

Deleted member 113

Could Eddie Murphy be back to making enjoyable flicks?

The film is based on the story of comedian Rudy Ray Moore, and his character Dolemite, who was featured in movies such as:

Dolemite (and a few other Rudy Ray Moore films) are out on Blu-Ray thanks to the awesome guys at one of my favourite labels, Vinegar Syndrome:

Last edited by a moderator:

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

Almost completely forgot to mention how I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood over the weekend. Just the title alone is fun quip on films like Once Upon a Time in the West, and Once Upon a Time in America which are also wonderful. Loved this flick though, and without going into spoiler territory, it was also a very interesting film in the sense that the movie is less about what you think it will be about and more of a character study piece. Ripe for a second viewing, with lots of pleasurable foot shots for the fetishist in me. I adore Tarantino's latter work so much more than his early stuff. I feel Kill Bill vol 1 was a real turning point for him as a director, as his films became poppier and more grand. The more cartoonish a Tarantino flick is, the better. Imho, Death Proof and Basterds are his best works yet, and Hollywood may weigh right up there.

I'd listen to my friends' takes on this film, but they all just re-worded what Red Letter Media said about it. I really hate my friends sometimes lmfao.

I'm looking forward to The Lighthouse.
The Witch was awesome and people who saw this at Cannes say this is even better. (Same Director)

I sure hope so. The VVitch blew me away in so many ways, man. I hate to compare the two, but I really hope Eggers is the future of horror rather than Aster, who people can't shut up about. They're both solid, but I prefer a slow classy burn over shock value these days. Eggers' work reminds me old Hammer horror, etc. He excites me the same way Ti West did when he first hit the scene running.

Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I don't think Aster is doing any more horror films, I read somewhere that he wants to make films in every genre

Reactions: teezzy

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just saw the first episode of the boys and whoa it was great!

But biggest whoa was seeing it was made by Dan trachtenberg, as a fan of the old totally rad show it's great for him to be doing stuff like this.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've watched Er ist wieder da on Netflix last night. It's about (the real) Hitler waking up in 2014 somehow. He's being discovered by a journalist who thinks he's an imitator, and he gains insane popularity on tv and social media. But Hitler plays it smart and uses this attention to criticize the current German politics and spreading a dangerously alt-right influence.

For me, this movie was both funny and scary, because it reminds me of a few local politicians using the same tactics (just not dressed as Hitler of course).

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I read the book for that and yeah, it's both very funny and somewhat scary in how you can rather easily imagine it actually happening that way.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

Re-watching Star Trek Discovery season 1. Normally I can't binge watch TV shows unless they're comedic (or Buffy, Angel, Arrow, or Daredevil) but Star Trek Discovery really has me by the space cajones. I'm halfway through, at episode 8, which is about where I left off last time before I got distracted by life. Episode 7 was so well written, and I adored
the return of Rainn Wilson's Mud intertwining with Michael's romance subplot.
I'm moderately versed in classic Trek but Discovery is my first series apart from the original run. This really hands up, and I adore the serialized nature of the show. I'm looking forward to making my way onto season two sooner than later. The budget for this show must be nuts, as each episode feels like a mini movie, and gee whiz is that sound design from another planet - pun intended. Seriously though, this one is a showstopper in 5.1. On par w/ the LoTR trilogy for testing out home theater equipment imho.

Ermmm... No spoilers please. Live long, and prosper.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Uh, I have little hope for this to be good, but it'll look pretty, just hire someone to write the dialogue, I don't want to see the contest between Lana and Jimbo for the most ridiculous, on the nose lines of the year.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I like the Wachowski's and one sister is better than no Wachowski but its ok to not reboot everything and let the Matrix go. Sense 8 is amazing and I love that series + the made for Netflix movie, more of something new please.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
eh ... i'm cautiously positive ... for now ;)

I'm not.

Its ok to not have sequels Hollywood/film industry. Its fine. Don't be capebooks and reboot every three years and be afraid to let a series have its time and place and let it rest.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I watched Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw with some friends and it was pretty boring. It wasn't even a good Fast and Furious movie which I don't mind, but it wasn't worth paying any money for this tbh.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I am afraid. What story is there left to tell?
who knows ... they did leave the ending a bit open-ended tbh ... so it's not like there's absolutely NOTHING that can be done

so i guess we'll see how they handle it

but, as i said - i'm cautiously optimistic for now

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
who knows ... they did leave the ending a bit open-ended tbh ... so it's not like there's absolutely NOTHING that can be done

so i guess we'll see how they handle it

but, as i said - i'm cautiously optimistic for now
I would love to see more of that universe, but I'm also afraid of them pulling a TFA : hey, all the progress you made in the previous trilogy is gone, there is a Matrix 2.0 that has inexplicably risen in the past 20 years without you chumps doing a thing about it. Let's do it all over again!

I would still love to see the old gang back together, but shouldn't Trinity and Neo be very, very dead at the very least?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
hey, all the progress you made in the previous trilogy is gone, there is a Matrix 2.0 that has inexplicably risen in the past 20 years without you chumps doing a thing about it. Let's do it all over again!
yeah, i REALLY hope they won't go that route ...

I would still love to see the old gang back together, but shouldn't Trinity and Neo be very, very dead at the very least?
that's the thing - we don't really know ... like 100% know-know

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Give me Jupiter Ascending 2 instead :coffee:
I'm not the only one! What a bonkers art direction and cinematography this mess of a film had.

Though even as I say this, I think the only sin it really had for me was that the story was completely forgettable.