Community New music / recommendations

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh wow, i had to check and yup, i remembered them from when they had the tiff with Moondog. Wow, isn't it odd what comes to mind when you thnk of an old band... well one you haven't listened to in decades.

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Oh wow, i had to check and yup, i remembered them from when they had the tiff with Moondog. Wow, isn't it odd what comes to mind when you thnk of an old band... well one you haven't listened to in decades.
in my case it came up in my car shuffle playlist (which currently includes about 3500 songs of all genres known to me). I know them via dEUS, where their singer used to play bass.

but yeah, definitely!

(oh and for those wondering: they used to be called Moondog Jr., – and that brought them some trouble with, well, Moondog.)

___

(BTW, the whole Minimum Maximum DVD & album is absolute genius)

was lucky to see them live – twice

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
in my case it came up in my car shuffle playlist (which currently includes about 3500 songs of all genres known to me). I know them via dEUS, where their singer used to play bass.

but yeah, definitely!

(oh and for those wondering: they used to be called Moondog Jr., – and that brought them some trouble with, well, Moondog.)

___

(BTW, the whole Minimum Maximum DVD & album is absolute genius)

was lucky to see them live – twice
The krautrock is just incredible, for example this song may literally be the soundtrack to an 80's arcade game, but it was released in 1975. The Germans of the 60/70s were ahead of their time.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Paul Barker's Lead Into Gold side project released an album a while ago. It's very old-school and his style which if you like it is aces!

I still listen to and really love the first album and this track is never far from my mind even decades later.

Some of my old favorites... that i still listen to.
I could fill posts and posts with tracks from this era and related labels.

... and the amazing "Phenobarb Bambalam" album by Chris connelly.
Such a diversion from his usual Devotion projects.

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The krautrock is just incredible, for example this song may literally be the soundtrack to an 80's arcade game, but it was released in 1975. The Germans of the 60/70s were ahead of their time.
oh yeah, Krautrock was so far ahead, its nuts. It was such a revelation when I first listened to the likes of Can, Neu! and of course Kraftwerk (who even before they did electronic music made some massively interesting stuff), in the early 2000s.

_
anyway, here's some RUSH ;)

one of those songs I can listen to several times in a row ;)

• Gib

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
Claudio Rocchi was one of Italy's most gifted singers and musicians of the last century, but sadly he's almost unbelievably unknown. This 18-minute song was recorded when he was just 20 years old. The part from the 15th minute on is simply amazing.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Blood Red Shoes – Elijah
they were part of "At the Edge of the Sea" festival in Brighton this year and this song has a strong hook and chorus that immediately stuck with me, so here ya go :)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I keep an eye on the BOOM Festival, i had friends who went way back in the day when it was first starting out so seeing this from Ultimae was nice.
Enjoy some summer ambient.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
put out my second full-length and direct companion piece to my debut out today!

bit of navel-gazing about it

good friday to all, as best as can be had in such difficult and pain-stricken times. as your medic, it leaves me helpless to know i hold no answer nor cure for all that we find ourselves facing collectively and individually. uncertainty has always been something that weighs heavier on me than most

today, i have released a new album, "the inaccessible solitude of the sky". it is a companion piece to my prior full-length, "all that remained was the beating of our hearts", exploring a number of ideas i left behind on the cutting room floor and letting new sounds take shape beside them. i began work in february, and have since watched as things grew more unstable around me. the world is in pain. i left behind my home of the past 20 years and indeed the area i have known for most of my life. even the future of this very platform we share together has come into question. the music, themes, and story of the album were all coloured by this constant anxiety and feeling of instability

"the inaccessible solitude of the sky" follows from the hopeful outlook of "all that remained" with a heavier tone of introspection, but ends with the catharsis of a burning breast freed of burden. inspired by the finales of some favourite videogames of mine - dear esther and proteus - i envisioned approaching a cliff overseeing a howling ocean, spreading my arms, and taking flight. such deliverance became the framework for which the album owes itself significantly to

it is with this album that i hope you can find yourselves unfettered from what holds you heavy of heart and mind. with love, may it accompany you through your days and nights ahead

fans of my last album should appreciate it even with its darker tone at times, and might be to the fancy of anyone who enjoys some jangly guitar jams with a touch of shoegaze, synth, electroacoustic experimentation, or sad lesbian choons 💗

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Spotify Wrapped is available for 2023 (a year that apparently only has 11 months)

Unfortunately, its again ugly as sin, and lacking in detail; and of course, there is a discrepancy for me (and surely many others) since I dont listen to music only on Spotify.
For example, Spotify lists my top 5 artists as

1. Die Ärzte (played for 1680 minutes, doesnt give data for the others)
2. The Beatles
3. Iggy Pop
4. Calexico
5. Giant Sand

and top songs as:

1. Aphex Twin — Blackbox Life Recorder 21f (played 28 times; doesnt give data for the others)
2. Within Temptation — Wireless
3. Iggy Pop — Comments
4. Iggy Pop — The Regency
5. Iggy Pop — All the Way down

With LastFM, I get a better picture, with my top artists being the following: – data range is 2023–01–01 — 2023–30–11, which is most likely very close to Spotifys data range.
1The Beatles1,186 scrobbles
2Die Ärzte
Large parts of their discography aren't on Spotify, and I also listen to a lot of their live recordings
3Giant Sand326
4Iggy Pop304
5Calexico268
6Das Rage
Notably, this band is not available on Spotify at all
7Alphaville189
8Monochrome
Side note: annoyingly some other artists uses that name as well, and their "brown noise" recordings show up in my feed all the time; while this band is inactive since 2014
9Within Temptation179
10New Order167
11Sparks165
12The Rolling Stones160
13Kylie Minogue143
14Aphex Twin140
15dEUS129
16Pet Shop Boys117
17Motorpsycho113
18Queens of the Stone Age109
19Taylor Swift98
20The Notwist86

And my top 20 songs being:
1Blackbox Life Recorder 21fAphex Twin28 scrobbles
2WirelessWithin Temptation26
3Slučajno
As mentioned, Das Rage aren't on Spotify, thats why these songs don't show up
Das Rage24
4IzdajaDas Rage23
5OdustaniDas Rage23
6Ad astraDas Rage22
7HodajDas Rage22
8SugarmanDas Rage22
9CommentsIggy Pop22
10Now and Then
I dunno why this didnt show up in the SpotifyWrapped, being above the Iggy songs. I only listened to this via Spotify (LastFM doesnt count the few Youtube plays of the music video)
The Beatles22
11The RegencyIggy Pop21
12CipeleDas Rage20
13All The Way DownIggy Pop19
14Strung Out JohnnyIggy Pop19
15Padam Padam - Extended MixKylie Minogue19
16FlowersMiley Cyrus19
17Animate - 2004 RemasterRush19
18New AtlantisIggy Pop18
19Don't Pray For MeWithin Temptation18
20Morning ShowIggy Pop17

And, for the fun of it, here's my top 20 albums – something SpotifyWrapped ignores:
1Every Loser
(2023)
Iggy Pop191 scrobbles
2The Beatles 1962 – 1966 (2023 Edition)The Beatles180
3The Beatles 1967 – 1970 (2023 Edition)The Beatles164
4Forever Young (Super Deluxe Edition; 2019 Remaster)
(1984)
Alphaville158
5Dva i jedan protiv
(2023)
Das Rage156
6The Beatles
(1968)
The Beatles124
7Wir Wollen Nur Deine Seele (Live 1999)Die Ärzte117
8Abbey Road (Super Deluxe Edition)
(1969)
The Beatles114
9Provisions
(2008)
Giant Sand100
10The Girl Is Crying in Her Latte
(2023)
Sparks91
11Bleed Out
(2023)
Within Temptation80
12Hackney Diamonds
(2023)
The Rolling Stones76
13How To Replace It
(2023)
dEUS68
14I Inside the Old Year Dying
(2023)
PJ Harvey67
15Tension (Deluxe)
(2023)
Kylie Minogue60
16Berlin Metropol 06.09.2022
(live recording)
Die Ärzte59
17Yay!
(2023)
Motorpsycho59
18In Times New Roman...
(2023)
Queens of the Stone Age57
19FFS (Deluxe Edition)
(2015)
FFS56
20Post Pop Depression
(2016)
Iggy Pop55

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Alright so what music player are you all using? As much as I do like iTunes, I do want to have a separate player for all my lossless music.

Also, I promise Im not a cop, but do you guys pirate stuff? Is there any good places for that anymore? I miss waffles.:(

• Toucan

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Alright so what music player are you all using? As much as I do like iTunes, I do want to have a separate player for all my lossless music.

Also, I promise Im not a cop, but do you guys pirate stuff? Is there any good places for that anymore? I miss waffles.:(
Spotify and Sayonara. I dont pirate anything; I have Spotify Premium, my vast CD & LP collection + buy stuff via Bandcamp occasionally (maybe more often again after Epic sold them off).

For lossless streaming, there is Tidal and Deezer, I think? Couldnt really tell you if there are others and how they compare.
For lossless purchasing, Bandcamp offers FLACs, but otherwise, unsure.

Reactions: Le Pertti

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018

I'm using Foobar2000 usually. and if i did pirate anything i would use SLSK...not that i ever pirate anything or started my flac collection from there