Community New music / recommendations

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I've been on an American Idiot binge. I forgot how much I listened to this album in high school. :coffee-blob:

Reactions: lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Judas Priest needs to get into the Hall of Fame this year. I want to see all of the current and past members up there accepting the award (including my man Tim Owens, listen to the Heart of a killer album, ok?) Then they need to perform breaking the law and retire. (Except Tim)

I was so happy to see this. Epic song off an amazing album.

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Higeki no Heroine Syndrome
Revenger (Live)
Jpop / Alt-Idol / Rock
This group has a lovely aesthetic and sound that I really like. They have a lot of energy and remind me a bit of some of the heavy hitters like BiSH. When a group posts a live video, you know they're confident.

Inchaos
You and Me
Melodic Metalcore
China's metal scene is getting more popular. Inchaos has that 'beauty and the beast' dynamic of female clean vocals with male growls. The riffs are heavy with a nice rhythm to them while having a progressive touch that doesn't fall too far into arrhythmic djenty chaos that every group seems to be doing these days.

Vivid Chicken
Shine
Jpop / Alt-Idol / Rock
After this groups first video being themed around being trash and trying to break free of labels, I was surprised to see how dark they got with their most recent song. It has a loud rock feel to it paired with pretty, melancholic cleans along with lyrics and themes around worthlessness and suicide.

4s4ki
Last Scene
Jpop / Rap / Hip Hop
4s4ki (asaki) continues to be a treasure. She hasn't put out a bad song yet and I love the direction she's been taking since her rebrand. There's something peaceful about the beat even as it speeds up.

Bridear
Ghoul
Rock / Melodic Metal
I've kind of fallen off of Bridear since they went with a more rock sound and completely ditched their harsh vocals. They had a really aggressive sound previously and lightened up as they got more popular which I find unfortunate (and sadly reminiscent of Exist Trace). However, the new song is quite good and it seems like they're sticking with a more aggressive melodic sound.

Imminence
Infectious
Melodic Metalcore
I found this band recently and really like their style. I love violins with metal, so finding out they mix violin in with their heavy riffs was quite a treat. The singer has such a gorgeous voice too. He has a lot of range, even dipping into some aggressive screams and growls to add to the melodic intensity. The album is really good and it'll be one of my top ten this year I think.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Yesterday I stumbled upon this:

It's absolutely insane.
As a metalhead I thought that the last fourth of the song was really heavy (...that drummer...). Is there anyone that could recommend me other jazz fusion bands (or tracks) that have this particular sound? Thanks!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Any fans of Underworld here? I was at their performance in Antwerp last night, first a 2 hour dj set followed by a 3 hour live performance with both their classic songs (born slippy, rez, cowgirl, two months off, Push Upstairs etc) and songs from their latest albums.

It's incredible how good their older songs still sound today, even while they are more than 20 years old. And it's also funny to see two 63yo guys playing some of the best techno/dance tracks in front of a huge audience. 😊

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Without specifying I'm not sure if you mean recommendations with a similar beat or flow or rap-style? I'll just give you a bunch of good stuff and then hopefully you can get sucked into Youtube's recommendations lol.
Honestly i couldn't tell you if my life would depend on it. Sometimes i just now i like a song without really knowing why.
I'll give them a listen later, thanks!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yesterday I stumbled upon this:
It's absolutely insane.
As a metalhead I thought that the last fourth of the song was really heavy (...that drummer...). Is there anyone that could recommend me other jazz fusion bands (or tracks) that have this particular sound? Thanks!
This is more math rock than jazz fusion, but I think you'll like The Physics House Band

and Yakuza which is metal jazz fusion

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
This is more math rock than jazz fusion, but I think you'll like The Physics House Band
and Yakuza which is metal jazz fusion
Thanks for the recs! I had never heard of them.

Between the two bands I prefer Yakuza. Be That As It May and Egocide are two songs I just listened to that I liked quite a lot. I'm going to actually get their albums. :hornblob:

Edit: by the way... if you like this sort of stuff I think you'd like Dog Fashion Disco (especially the albums "Commited To A Bright Future" and "Adultery"). They're among my favorite bands (probably top 3).

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I've basically only been listening to Radiohead for the last three years or so. Hence, I am now an official Radiohead expert. I will now share what I think are some of their best songs (even though really everything from OK Computer forward is top shelf*)
* Apart from that one track off Hail to the Thief. You know the one. I'm not even gonna call it out by name it's so bad.

First and foremost Codex off of my now all-time favorite album, The King of Limbs. A lot of people don't like TKOL, but I love the rich and textured sound they developed here. It's like the Van Gogh audio experience of Radiohead's albums. A lot of people also claim that the live version is better because they padded out the tracklist. I didn't really have an issue with the original's 8 tracks. That's a fine length if you ask me. I also don't think the beautiful layers of the studio version were replicated that well in the live album.

Second, Climbing up the Walls. This appeared on OK Computer, which to this day blows my mind it came out in 19-flipping-97. Unfortunately the video with the best audio quality is one of those with the lyrics pasted all over, which I personally hate because I think half of the experience of Radiohead is having no fucking idea what Thom's saying and just taking his angelic voice in as pure melodious tones.

Third, Myxomatosis off of Hail to the Thief. I like the way it makes my ears tingle. It's rawness is really something else. I don't know. It sounds cool? It has a quality to it that I can't quite put into words. The rest of the album is also pretty great, but I think this is the standout track on it. I also quite like There There, Go to Sleep, and Punchup at a Wedding. Also, look at how much fun Thom's having in this video. He's really feeling it!

Finally, Present Tense from A Moon Shaped Pool. It's absolutely beautiful, powerful and I don't really know what else to add. This album is probably the easiest to listen to of their repertoire. I think it'd be a pretty good entry point if you're new to Radiohead or, like me, at one point thought them a bunch of pretentious artsy weirdos. Now I think they're great sounding artsy weirdos. Anyway, I couldn't find the song on YT so here's a Vimeo link:

Bonus round: this is the version of Motion Picture Soundtrack that's on the OKNOTOK White Cassette. Cheesy. Haunting. Heartbreaking. This specific version of the song may or may not have made me actually misty eyed at multiple occasions. Overused by pop media? Unfortunately, yes. The most viscerally I've ever cringed was probably when it popped up in Westworld. Still, so good.

I'd add more, but I think I'm already pushing it! I like this band a whole lot.

Last edited: