Community New music / recommendations

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
If you like alt-rock/alt-metal mixed with some prog (and occasionally political lyrics) than check out Cog. They're one of the most underappreciated Aussie bands of the past 20~ years.
I'll link a couple of shorter songs and a couple of their longer, proggier songs.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
anyone listen to Rush? I literally just discovered this song in my mp3 library, and I cannot remember where I got it from - but I love it already...and now I am heading to Spotify hoping their other stuff is as good as this :D

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
anyone listen to Rush? I literally just discovered this song in my mp3 library, and I cannot remember where I got it from - but I love it already...and now I am heading to Spotify hoping their other stuff is as good as this :D
Rush is excellent, Moving Pictures and 2112 are their essential LP's. Honestly everything barring Feedback is worth a listen and even Feedback isn't terrible or anything.
-------
One of my favourite local bands is releasing their 3rd record in March, so I've been listening to their first 2 LP's constantly to get into the mood so if you like Alternative Rock with hints of classic blues rock and more modern indie rock then you should check out Kingswood! I'll start off with a couple of their Like A Version's because they're excellent and then I'll post a song from their first more rocky, bluesy album and one from their second more diverse and experimental album -

Bonus - One of the best tracks from their 2nd album played full band in the Triple J studio. Alex Laska is one of my favourite guitarists to come out of Australia in years.

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Time for another band I want to bring to others attention!
If you're a fellow depressed youth (is 22 still a youth? fucked if I know) like myself I may just have your favorite album of February, Brave Faces Everyone by Spanish Love Songs. This album will almost certainly be on my best of 2020 list just like their sophomore album, Schmaltz, was in 2018.
Genre: Grouchrock, Pop-Punk, Alt-Rock

There's not a single bad track on the album but these are my 5 favourites.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Time for me to recommend yet another Australian band -
WAAX - (Genre - Alt-Rock, Post Punk)
Their debut album, Big Grief, was in my top 10 albums of last year, so I obviously highly recommend them if you like female vocals driven alt-rock with simple but well written and relatable lyrics - I would compare them to 90's alt bands like The Breeders and The Pixies.

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
I have no idea how I've never heard of Tame Impala before but I'm really loving the latest album.

Make sure to check out their older stuff as well, especially Lonerism and Currents - both excellent albums.
Some stuff I was recently introduced to.

Justice Der - 90210

OurR - I+Floor

Se So Neon - The Wave 파도
Some good stuff here, I'll chuck a couple of my favourite Korean artists here as well -
Lulileela is one of my favourite artists right now, I vibe with her sound hard. Also fellow bassists are always looked upon kindly lol. (Though she also plays guitar.)

Gil Me has forever been one of my favourite Korean artists and she deserves so much more recognition -

Yoon Mi Rae/Tasha, the Queen of Korean Hip-Hop, thats all you need to know - this woman is a legend (as is her husband, the King of K-Hip-Hop, Tiger JK).

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Been listening to the latests Petit Biscuit album on repeat for weeks now ! It's from last year but just found it and it's so good!

Funny you should post this, it was just announced a short while ago that Petit Biscuit is contributing a song to the "Songs for Australia" charity cover album coming out later this year. You can learn more about it here if you're curious -

(The video is well worth watching, This is the album version of the track without some of the speech samples.)

Edit:
Because the 19/20 fires have impacted my family and friends personally and I love charity records and Midnight Oil (who are the original artists behind Beds Are Burning, amazing song by the way) here's another one coming out later this month with a lot of names I love on it. This is the 'Beds Are Burning' cover off of it featuring one of my favourite musicians of all time, Missy Higgins -

And the full album on Bandcamp.

Last edited:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Time for me to recommend yet another Australian band -
WAAX - (Genre - Alt-Rock, Post Punk)
Their debut album, Big Grief, was in my top 10 albums of last year, so I obviously highly recommend them if you like female vocals driven alt-rock with simple but well written and relatable lyrics - I would compare them to 90's alt bands like The Breeders and The Pixies.

Nice.

Bought the album (y)

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Nice.

Bought the album (y)
I'm glad you liked it! I was actually thinking of you when I posted it lol, I saw you posting Hole and I'm like "Huh, they may enjoy this!". Heres a couple of others in a similar vain that I like, all Aussies because I have an (incredibly) obvious bias -

All of these peeps are massively underrated, and they're also all excellent live if you get the chance to see any of them.

Falexandre

Dec 7, 2018
Make sure to check out their older stuff as well, especially Lonerism and Currents - both excellent albums.

Some good stuff here, I'll chuck a couple of my favourite Korean artists here as well -
Lulileela is one of my favourite artists right now, I vibe with her sound hard. Also fellow bassists are always looked upon kindly lol. (Though she also plays guitar.)

Gil Me has forever been one of my favourite Korean artists and she deserves so much more recognition -

Yoon Mi Rae/Tasha, the Queen of Korean Hip-Hop, thats all you need to know - this woman is a legend (as is her husband, the King of K-Hip-Hop, Tiger JK).

Really enjoyed Lulileela, thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: ShadowAUS

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019

If anyone likes the sound of the 90s industrial rock from the Wax Trax! era or late 80s/early 90s Ministry, listen to this.

Be Carefull with the video itself, its too flashy

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Now that, i like! Damn, Nostalgia. I can hear so many different band sounds and styles there. wow.
I'm gonna Stevey, ShadowAUD & Falexandre this thread now and post a bunch of videos from my youth :blobheadset:
Sorry, not sorry.
Nothing too experimental just popular stuff.

Just the tip of the iceberg from when WaxTrax and Devotion and such had bands with a million side projects.
Such a good time, man. Good times.

edit: and that's without posting ohGR, KMFDM, Ministry, Crowforce, 1000 Homo DJs, Damage Inc, Chris Connelly, Lard, Machines of Loving Grace, CombiChrist, Nitzer Ebb etc.

Last edited: