Deleted member 113

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Orbit Culture
The Shadowing
Melodic Death Metal
Orbit Culture is one of my favorite bands and I absolutely love everything they've been putting out lately. They've such an intensity and progression to their songs that really evokes a sense of aural evolution. I greatly appreciate just how wide Niklas' vocal range has become. He's managed to keep his guttural lows, have crisp screams, grimey cleans, and everything seemingly in between.

YukueshirezuTsurezure (Not Secured, Loose Ends)
REDERA
Still Roaring
Alt-Idol / Rock / Metal
These girls are wonderful. I've been listening to them for a few years now and they continually put out great music. They're a mixture of pop, rock, metal, hardcore, and electronic. Their latest double-single also produced two videos, both of which are beautiful. Kotetsu's solo bridge is really pretty and I'm glad she got the chance to shine. Normally I'd lament the lack of growls, but they tend to come back extremely heavy with some near melodeath levels of music, so I'm eager awaiting their upcoming works.

Unlucky Morpheus
瀧夜叉姫
Melodic Metal / Symphonic
Fuki (vocals) and Jill (violin) are incredibly talented. I believe Fuki is one of the best vocalists in the metal scene currently. Jill's violin adds a haunting symphonic melody to everything and really elevates the group. The instrumentation is fantastic and the guitarwork is top notch as always. The song has a real Onmyouza vibe and Wagakki vibe to it with a touch of melodeath.

DUSTCELL
LILAC
Pop / Eletronic
Every since I came across DUSTCELL a few months back, I'd adored everything they've put out. There's a real melancholy tone to everything while having a catchy and serene melody to it. Every video seems to tell a story and the lyrics are quite touching, if a bit unsettling at times. I think fans of Daoko would like them, though DUSTCELL is a bit less chaotic/insane. Still, the raps and beats are lovely.

The Black Dahlia Murder
Child of Night
Melodic Death Metal
I'm kinda kicking myself for sleeping on TBDM for so long. At first I thought they just recently (as of 2017) started writing great stuff, but on a few listens of their previous works I realize I was wrong. They've always been pretty great, I just didn't appreciate their style for quite some time. Their new stuff continues to highlight just how they continue to progress as musicians and writers, leading to some very technical melodeath that has a real black metal tinge to it.

Trivium
What The Dead Men Say
Melodic Metal
I've been listening to Trivium since their first album and have enjoyed most of their works, though they do have a few trash albums. Thankfully, their 2017 release was a real return to form while also progressing what is their signature style these days. There's a nice progressive aura around all their latest works, incorporating every bit of their styles over the years to make something new but still Trivium. I think this song is up there with the works of Shogun, their most popular and progressive album.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Some stuff I've been listening to lately.
Frøkedal - Cracks
Really nice to see some other people noticed how amazing Frøkedal really is. I first heard her play Motorpsycho covers (sung in Norwegian) with Trio Søt, that was so neat that I kept an eye on her output ever since - be it with her bands or solo. Great voice, amazing artist.

~

Farin Urlaub (guitarist, Die Ärzte) recently played tribute to DAF (Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, a German electropunk/NDW band formed in 1978, whose singer died a few weeks ago). Weird/good stuff:

Back in 1981, DAF made this song, "Der Mussolini", which heavily inspired Laibach to make "Tanz mit Laibach" (2003):

~

Einstürzende Neubauten will release a new album, "Alles in allem", on May 15. A first song, "Ten Grand Goldie", was released yesterday.

~

Bill Withers passed away recently. I heard that only in passing, not knowing of him. Then, Erin Moran (A Girl Called Eddy, a musician I really like), posted a video of his on Facebook, and it is really lovely music:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
'Fetch the Bolt Cutters', the new record by Fiona Apple, is pretty outstanding. Only available in digital formats atm, physical release out in the summer.

Reactions: lashman
OP

Deleted member 113

If anyone likes electronic music, and wants something to tie you over for a very long time, you should check out the following compilations, that are currently "pay-what-you-want" for 24 hours. The money reverts to charity (all of this label's releases do), and they include rare or unreleased music from artists like Plaid, Bibio, Autechre, 808 State, Future Sound of London, Milieu, µ-Ziq, Adamski, and many more. Any electronic genre you can think of, it's probably included.

Each compilation has an insane amount of quality music, and an insane amount of hours of content (the first volume has 123 tracks, the second 254, and the third a ridiculous 417 tracks, with many tracks on these compilations passing the 10 minute mark).

I can't recommend them enough. They were a steal at their asking price when I bought them, and as "pay-what-you-want", it's an insane deal.
Check the bandcamp website, see the tracklists, and sample a few tracks. There's some great stuff in there.
The compilations are called Touched, Touched Two, and Touched 3:

Here's a video for one of the tracks from the 3rd compilation:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

Deleted member 113

The Psychedelic Furs have another new single (the third from the new album), and once again it's rather impressive to see a band releasing a new album 29 (?!) years later, and still sounding so effortlessly cool:

OP

Deleted member 113

This is a really cool video, and a cool track, for those that enjoy synthwave:

Taken from the album:

OP

Deleted member 113

Remember those Touched compilations of electronic music I mentioned above, featuring hundreds of unreleased or rare tracks from artists like Plaid, Bibio, Autechre, 808 State, Future Sound of London, Milieu, µ-Ziq, and many more?

Well, if anyone is in the mood for some more great electronic music, the same label has now also placed their 3 compilations from the Covert series temporarily as "pay what you want", and they are well worth it.
For those unfamiliar with the series, it's a curious concept. The artists are not revealed (all are listed as "?"), just the name of the tracks. The idea is for people to focus on the quality of the music (and there's a lot of awesome tracks in here), and not the artist's name, and also to have people try to make up their minds about who they think the artists are.
Some of the artists have since been discovered (check the discogs website for some info; for one of them, it was kind of easy, since the track was a remix, and the name of the track was an anagram for Plaid, and the name of the track that was remixed), but based on the sound, "regulars" from other compilations of this label are present, like Plaid, Future Sound of London, (...).

As with all releases from this label, all proceeds are donated to the Macmillan Cancer Support.

Here are the links to the compilations:

As a sample, here are a couple of tracks from the compilations, one from Volume 1, the other from Volume 3.
The first one is a personal favourite: