Community New music / recommendations

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Orchestral rework of a track from a game soundtrack that nobody under-the-age-of-40-and-not-from-Europe even remembers. Found today on Spotify. Remarkable arrangement, very American minimalist, John Adams / Philip Glass style. And the harmonies would do a David García Díaz soundtrack proud. Lovely.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I know Luminaire posted about BAND-MAID a few times, but I've only listened to them now and...
holy hell are they good :sweaty-blob:

It's a japanese maid-themed all-girl group so of course their genre is
Hard. Fucking. Rock.
Wait what?
Yes. :evilblob:

Great vocals and the instrumentation rules. Those bass and guitar and drum solos make me melt. :sweaty-blob:

Just listen to the part between 2:20 (timestamped in the link) and 3:30 here. God damn. :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Virtual Ruminant Did Joy Division have them taken down? :giggle:

Anyway... Summer! Yay!

( Seeing this reminded me i needed to buy the album - That's two albums bought today )

Also, not really summery but how did i miss that the Tetris Effect OST was released on Bandcamp last month?! ( ... and bought! )

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Today we recommend music about summer days.

(Alternate links)
I love Bad Lieutenant! It was such a good band, shame they only made one album... well they kinda transformed into New Order as it exists now. But Jake Evans as secondary singer added something special to their sound. While I'm glad to have New Order back, I wish we didn't have to lose BL in the process.

Listen to their album, it is such a gem:

~

This is quite nice, thanks for the tip! I'll see if their other stuff is also up my alley :)

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
COMBO-BREAKER!
(Sorry, not sorry - Blame bobnowhere )

I was watching the trailer for Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm and they had this song which put me on a bit of a Belinda Carlisle binge. No regrets.

And some Belinda solo because some of her albums were deeply entrenched in our summers and give me mad nostalgia.

I was going to also post Circle in the Sand, I get Weak, Leave a Light on, Heaven is a place, Runaway Horses etc. So many great tracks.

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
COMBO-BREAKER!
(Sorry, not sorry - Blame bobnowhere )

I was watching the trailer for Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm and they had this song which put me on a bit of a Belinda Carlisle binge. No regrets.

I was going to also post Circle in the Sand, I get Weak, Leave a Light on, Heaven is a place, Runaway Horses etc. So many great tracks.
Entirely forgivable. The Go-Go's really are such a treasure, even though I only learned about the band in the 21st century, I knew almost all of the band's members from either solo records, songwriting credits or other bands beforehand.

How about this solo joint of Jane Wiedlin's:

(Alternate links)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks to the talk of the Netflix Eurovision series in the Steam Thread i had a look around and Ionnalee has posted a 20 minute qurantine set for National Day of Sweden - 6th June.

...with bonus doggo!

Edit: Two Doggos, Ghost and Luna.

Last edited:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I've come a long way since the days of my adolescence... music-wise. I've both considerably broadened my musical tastes and veered my metal-listening habits towards the most extreme subgenres...

Nevertheless, one band has stayed with me during all these years: Marilyn Manson. This morning I was listening to Portrait of an American Family and I kept thinking about how unique it sounds.

My question is... are there any other bands who've recorded similar sounding albums ?

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018

I loved playing this track when living with my Wiccan friends. :D

BlackRainbowFT
I'd say Mindless Self Indulgence have tracks that are very similar in style.

Powerman 5000

A quick look around brought up these too but i think it depends on what "Era" of Manson you are interested in as MM have had quite a few style shifts.

Black Light Burns - Lie

Motionless in white has been mentioned a few times but i'm not sure...

OMFG I'd forgotten all about this one! Damn, i watched this so many times.
I'm posting the Picture-In-Picture version of the remake because the original is potato-vision these days.

edit: I've just spent ages listening to MSI for the first time in years and years. Cheers! :blobheadset:

Last edited: