Community Photography - We Might Have a Thing for Light

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I used to store them on my server with an extra copy on an external hard drive for redundancy. I've only went out of my way to shoot photos once in the past 5 years which was of a local airshow for my Uncle. Let me tell you, using an 18-55 kit lens to shoot photography of small flying aircraft is fun times. And for sure, I'll post a few shots when I get back.
Yeah back in the day I used to have an external drive for backup, then on my HD in a PC AND on a NAS. I'm thinking that I should at minimum get another external since my laptop can't store that much. Having 2TB on google cloud is expensive but when it comes to cloud storage when it comes to price and functionality they are pretty good.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Hey speaking of backups, I'm sitting on about 1tb of photos from a couple years traveling, any good online solution that's below 20 bucks a month?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Swenhir As I mentioned Google One(which is storage for everything google) with 2tb storage is 10€ per month. I use it mostly because it also applies to Google Photos where I have all my photos for easy access.

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Hey speaking of backups, I'm sitting on about 1tb of photos from a couple years traveling, any good online solution that's below 20 bucks a month?
pCloud is a name I hear chucked around a lot by photographer acquaintances -
pCloud - File Security Made Simple | pCloud - 9.99 a month for 2TB.

I personally use Sync which is well priced -

You also have good old Uncle Google and Dropbox which I believe should be under $20.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
After looking at how these things work under the hood, I think I'm going to try Amazon Glacier. Seems like there's a bit of technical stuff to take care of but I know enough Java to get it done, I think.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Puh it has taken too long for me to try and settle for a new "look" for my photos. I wanted something with much stronger colours but at the same time felt "timeless" and incorporated things I liked with black and white photos.

Here's an older photo that I experimented with and I think I'm finished. But the look mostly works with sunny Paris haha. I made a preset for it but it only works for photos taken with my old OnePlus so need to do lots more tweaking for my other cameras.

How it used to be:

And the new:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Think I'm going to make a photography book of my first two years in Paris.:D Now how the hell does one make a book. I used to make those in school but I've forgotten.
I actually very much would like to know! I know LR probably has a built-in function for that, but I've been considering doing one as well. Also because, you know, money.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I actually very much would like to know! I know LR probably has a built-in function for that, but I've been considering doing one as well. Also because, you know, money.
Haha yeah that's why I'm doing it also, so people can buy that shit! There are easy ways to do books, as you said LR and other places but those can be expensive and not kind of generic. I'm considering doing it with InDesign and or an app apple has.

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So I have started using Amazon Glacier to store my photos along with fastglacier to act as the uploading software and it's really, really simple. The costs are ridiculously low and most of the expenses happen when you need to actually download something which, considering it's cold storage meant as a safety net, shouldn't happen.

I can recommend it and explain how it works in PM if needed.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So I have started using Amazon Glacier to store my photos along with fastglacier to act as the uploading software and it's really, really simple. The costs are ridiculously low and most of the expenses happen when you need to actually download something which, considering it's cold storage meant as a safety net, shouldn't happen.

I can recommend it and explain how it works in PM if needed.
How much is it? I've been thinking maybe skipping Google One 2TB, while nice to always have ones photos available for nice viewing on the phone and such, the cost will be quite a bit all things considered.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
How much is it? I've been thinking maybe skipping Google One 2TB, while nice to always have ones photos available for nice viewing on the phone and such, the cost will be quite a bit all things considered.
The costs fall into three categories : upload, storage and retrieval.

Upload is 0.053$ per 1,000 requests, meaning you want to group stuff into archives.
Storage is 4.5$ per TB per month with Glacier, 1.8$ with deep storage which is another beast that I'm exploring.
Retrieval is 10.5$ per TB in expedited, or 2.6$ per TB in bulk.

I'm currently investigating deep glacier and it should be noted that you can retrieve 10gb for free per month as part of the free tier.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have slightly over 1TB, but nice to be able to grow!:D
From what I can see, deep storage works through another part of amazon and I'm getting the hang of it slowly. So in theory, 2TB can be 3.6$ per month there, but then again maybe google doesn't have download costs.

All in all, if google is simpler to use, then it's probably worth the headache not to research how to use all that enterprise mess :p

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
From what I can see, deep storage works through another part of amazon and I'm getting the hang of it slowly. So in theory, 2TB can be 3.6$ per month there, but then again maybe google doesn't have download costs.

All in all, if google is simply to use, then it's probably worth the headache not to research how to use all that enterprise mess :p
Yeah I can up/download as much as I want, even share with other, It's also google drive. Hell I can even share my storage with others so that they can use it. :D

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah I can up/download as much as I want, even share with other, It's also google drive. Hell I can even share my storage with others so that they can use it. :D
If I didn't have such a specific use case for this, I'd honestly spring for it. No complicated pricing model is quite friendly to me after having had to wade through the amazon rules.

EDIT : A thing I hadn't noticed is that Glacier has a minimum storage duration of 90 days and deep storage has 180days. Kind of good to know :p.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I can't help notice the severe lack of photos in this thread ever since COVID-19 hit. So here's a few more from Nepal, hoping it might lift your mood :).

Still one of the most incredible places I've ever been. I'm not sure how to go about posting these photos to be honest, how to convey the experience it was to be at those altitudes, to meet these people, travelers and Nepali alike. Still, seeing those reminds me that there's more, much more out there.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Swenhir I didnt want to spam the thread with my stuff only.XD Even with lockdown I've still managed to take photos every day! Sure some days its just a selfie haha.

Here's a shoot I did DURING lockdown.:D

I think the first one is the best and most well-lit. Not even a flash behind, just an off-center cobra and great exposure control. Nicely done!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have just received my 18-200 VR II and I have finally a camera again. I am bubbling, liquid freaking joy. It's been more than a year and a half since I last had one and it feels so right!

To celebrate that, a few shots I took at the start of the Annapurna Circuit. It's arguably one of the most diverse hike in terms of landscapes and environments in the world, and it sure shows at the beginning! You start walking through high hills and rather hot and wet vegetation. Then, you turn west as you encounter your first dramatic sight of the kind of mountains and scales that await.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
just post whatever photos you want in here :)

i'm sure Monooboe, Li Kao and BlindRhythm would enjoy checking those out as well! :D
Yep! I always love seeing folk's stunning photos and yours are exactly that Swenhir. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

And as always thank you for the mention lash! :cat-heart-blob:

It's mostly that I have a lot of them and knowing what to post is a bit hard ^^. I'm leaning in the direction of doing little jumps in time because there's no way I can possibly be granular with so much material.
Haha I go through the same whenever I'm posting in the screenshot thread but I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfect! I can't wait to see more amazing pictures from everyone. :highfiveblob:

I might have to join in someday. Though I rarely get the chance to travel and mine probably won't be nearly as good but I'll see what I can do.

• Hug
  • Love
Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yep! I always love seeing folk's stunning photos and yours are exactly that Swenhir. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

And as always thank you for the mention lash! :cat-heart-blob:

Haha I go through the same whenever I'm posting in the screenshot thread but I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfect! I can't wait to see more amazing pictures from everyone. :highfiveblob:

I might have to join in someday. Though I rarely get the chance to travel and mine probably won't be nearly as good but I'll see what I can do.
Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it :).

If you can travel responsibly despite the pandemic, I really encourage you to do. And please don't compare, you have your own stories to tell. The world inside of you is what matter with this, and I look forward to seeing it.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yes all you guys need to be more active here!:D

<3
Having a camera helps :p.

Also, how do you unscrew a stuck UV filter? My 18-200 came with one from the vendor and it's clearly slanted and hard to remove. I'm trying the tapping technique.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Having a camera helps :p.

Also, how do you unscrew a stuck UV filter? My 18-200 came with one from the vendor and it's clearly slanted and hard to remove. I'm trying the tapping technique.
Yeah not sure what I would do without a camera! Thankfully cellphone is good enough if needed.

Hmh about UV filter that is stuck, think you just need to use force, if you cant live with it being on all the time:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah not sure what I would do without a camera! Thankfully cellphone is good enough if needed.

Hmh about UV filter that is stuck, think you just need to use force, if you cant live with it being on all the time:
I can but given that it was screwed in by someone without opposable thumbs, it is slanted sideways and I don't feel comfortable with it being like that. Besides, there's dust under that I'd like to clean :).

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it :).

If you can travel responsibly despite the pandemic, I really encourage you to do. And please don't compare, you have your own stories to tell. The world inside of you is what matter with this, and I look forward to seeing it.
Thanks! And you're absolutely right, I should start valuing what I contribute a little more. :blobhug:

No promises I'll be able to deliver on the traveling part, that "rarely" in my last post was scarily accurate. I haven't had a proper vacation in I want to say 16 years. :thinking-blob:

I don't have too many pics that aren't cats or other animals that hang around the farm but there was one I took back around the 4th of July that I thought came out pretty well.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So here are a few shots from the village of Turtuk high in the Indian Himalayas, only a few kilometers from the Pakistani border. I had taken a few shots here, and ended up going down memory lane. I really need more photgraphy in my life.

These shots aren't anything special, but this is the mood I am in. This is fine for a Sunday :).

By the way, does anyone know how to determine whether VR is working on a lens like the 18-200? Having blurry 1/100s shots at 200mm puzzles me out a bit, but it's been a while.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
By the way, does anyone know how to determine whether VR is working on a lens like the 18-200? Having blurry 1/100s shots at 200mm puzzles me out a bit, but it's been a while.
I have never actually used fancy stuff like VR haha! But usually I think its automatic or at least a setting to flip on.

Either way I think shooting at 1/100 is too slow, I only go that slow when its too dark. Better to increase ISO and at least be at 1/150.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have never actually used fancy stuff like VR haha! But usually I think its automatic or at least a setting to flip on.

Either way I think shooting at 1/100 is too slow, I only go that slow when its too dark. Better to increase ISO and at least be at 1/150.
Ah, well, in my experience 1/40s is where it starts getting a bit slow for me, at least with VR. 1/60s and upward is comfortable. At least, it used to be, which is why I'm a bit puzzled at some shots being blurry. But then again, it's been a year and a half and maybe I just have a shaky hand!

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Ah, well, in my experience 1/40s is where it starts getting a bit slow for me, at least with VR. 1/60s and upward is comfortable. At least, it used to be, which is why I'm a bit puzzled at some shots being blurry. But then again, it's been a year and a half and maybe I just have a shaky hand!
Also the more you zoom the shakier it gets, its like with a laser pointer, the further way it goes the longer distance it travels with little movement.