Community Photography - We Might Have a Thing for Light

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
PC-tan pf course having a good lens is important, but it’s good to remember that a cheap lens won’t make a good photographer worse and an expensive lens won’t make a bad photographer better.

they are tools and it’s good to learn the why you need to upgrade from 50mm 2,8 to the other 50mm 1.2.
I'm power hungry right now. I want it all!!!!!!

Once the adrenaline that I am feeling from all of this has calmed down I will ask more questions about lens and some other equipment.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan haha yeah I know that hunger too well! Thankfully I have calmed down quite a bit. I’m happy just rocking my A7 with a 35mm 2.8. Of course I want much better and there are times i could use better also but I don’t need it, it doesn’t stand in the way for what I want to do.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I want to smash my new camera.

I want to do manual focus but for some reason when ever I try to focus my camera does this x5.9 magnification. I am able to sort of adjust the image but when I try to take a picture it goes back to X1. Not only that but the image now looks all blurry as hell.

By the way I got the camera used (so I'm not sure if the original owner mess with some settings.

By the way I checked to see if the user had taken any pictures and it seems that prior to me the previous owner had taken only 27 pictures, technically maybe even less since a Best Buy employee likely took some pictures to see that it was still working fine with no issues.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
When it zooms in when doing manual focus, that’s so you can see that you get finer details in focus. I love that feature.:)

but it’s strange that it would be blurry when you take the picture?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
When it zooms in when doing manual focus, that’s so you can see that you get finer details in focus. I love that feature.:)

but it’s strange that it would be blurry when you take the picture?
You know now that you mentioned that I think I am going to try something else and see if that works. I didn't really think that the reason for the zoom was for finer details. I just thought that they were two separate modes or something and that

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You know now that you mentioned that I think I am going to try something else and see if that works. I didn't really think that the reason for the zoom was for finer details. I just thought that they were two separate modes or something and that
It is, if you focus with the focus ring on the lens it self then it zooms in. You have put the camera into manual focus right? Meaning when you push the shutter button it doesn't try and focus again?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It is, if you focus with the focus ring on the lens it self then it zooms in. You have put the camera into manual focus right? Meaning when you push the shutter button it doesn't try and focus again?
Yeah I put it into manual focus because I kept having issues with auto focus. I wanted to take a picture of an object but I guess that because it was too close to other objects that it was not really able to do it that well.
By the way the file sizes are huge!!!!!!! Which is kinda cool because I can zoom in and see stuff closer when I'm viewing the imagine on my computer. Also it's cool how the display changes depending on if I'm looking at the screen or view finder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hmh for some reason I can't open the pics. But sounds good that you can zoom in a lot! That is one huge benefit of resolution, that you can crop a photo! Just make sure you crop with the same aspect ration! I know being able to crop your photo as you want is a freedom one has, but I have a irrational dislike for random cropping ratios haha

• This!
Reactions: Wok and PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I tried out the macro and it will take some getting use to (I most likely will need to get a tripod for some pictures because of how it does the 5.8x thing and I do have a bit of issue doing manual focus.

Now compared to the 50mm one that I got this one works well with auto focus and the way that I want to shoot. With this one I can set the camera to auto focus, push the auto focus button and if I want to manually focus I just push the ring on the lens back and that's it.

Meanwhile on the 50mm one that I have, I have to go to the camera settings in order to switch between auto and manual. So it's nice with the macro lens how I don't have to do that.

I now have the camera, and two lenses. My next step will be to get a flash for the camera. The thing is that I'm not to sure if I should use a HVL-45RM vs the HVL46RM flash.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan is there a specific reason you want a flash? Because I can tell from more than a decade of experience, I have never wanted a camera flash!:)

you said you were going to do flash box photography, then it would be better to get external / studio lights.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
PC-tan is there a specific reason you want a flash? Because I can tell from more than a decade of experience, I have never wanted a camera flash!:)

you said you were going to do flash box photography, then it would be better to get external / studio lights.
Yeah that is the plan but I have looked at the photos that I currently took right now with now flash and compared them to the photos that I took with the Canon Rebel t5 that I have. I was surprised looking back at those photos which were taken with the built in flash and how good they came out. I do plan to use a light box to take photos but I don't think 100% of the photos are going to be in the light box and I have seen a decent amount of noise in the images, especially because of the not so great lighting that I have in my room.

The other issue is that while I can take photos and stuff in a light box I still want to do stuff outside out that box and use different locations/materials that would not really be able to fit inside of a light box and other wise look "unnatural".

From what I saw you can use that Sony external flash as "studio lights" how over it would require to get a broadcast thing for the camera that you would have to buy separately.

Since I don't have a lot of space I did also feel like it would be more convenient to have the flash on top of the camera since I might not have space for where I want to place another flash somewhere in the room.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan Yeah I understand about space. Still having some small lights would be good. Hell I just use an ikea lamp for my shoots now haha, using a flash on top of the camera won’t teach you to really learn how to use light, any kind of light. Start experimenting with that first, just use what you have at home.

but if you do get a flash, first thing to learn is to get it off the camera and using an extension cable.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I got my flash and I'm still learning how to use it. It's pretty big but it's also pretty cool.

I got the Godox V1 with the transmitter and the accessories. In the US it's also called Flashpoint.

• Gib
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm on Icelandic TV! They did a piece on our recent photography workshop in my masters program.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Parsnip yo that’s where I am! Well technically in haparanda so same river. Taking the train in the morning back south, can’t wait for warmer climate!:D
Warmer climate, pfft. -20C is nothing!

Also now that I look at this at home I'm noticing that the pic looks a little bit crooked. Though I'm pretty sure the leveler on the camera said it wasn't, so maybe it's just the way the coastline goes that tricks the brain.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Warmer climate, pfft. -20C is nothing!

Also now that I look at this at home I'm noticing that the pic looks a little bit crooked. Though I'm pretty sure the leveler on the camera said it wasn't, so maybe it's just the way the coastline goes that tricks the brain.
Yeah I know I should be used to it have grown up here in the north, but once you go enjoying 30 degree summer there ain’t no going back!

But yes the photo is crooked, think maybe the camera thought the clouds in the right were part of the landscape.:)

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way I ended up buying some more camera equipment..... I need to seek help.

I ended up buying a Sony b10 Shotgun mic.

2 table top tripods, a ballhead for one of those tripods. I also bought a rain cover for my camera. A got a spare quick release base, I also got a Godox M1 light panel. I was going to get a lume cube one but I wanted RGB and the Lume cube didn't mention anything about colors other than being bi-color.