Reviews Rate the game you finished/retired

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I finished the Until Dawn remake on Steam

Structurally, there are few actual mechanics in the game. The idea is to walk around, and make choices at key moments and hope you did the rights ones to allow as many people to survive. Supermassive Games knew that this could feel pretty passive, so they spiced things up by lots of small interactions that require a little too many button presses and quick times events and so on. I can see how they make things more exciting, but something that just focuses on choices and branching paths would have been a bit cleaner.

Visually, I found the remake to be quite stunning at times. The longer you play and experience animations, the clearer it becomes that this is still a PS4 game in its models and animation quality, but I suppose redoing all of that would have been simply out of scope. It is impressive how much they carried over to Unreal Engine 5 and have it work. Speaking of "work", the port is pretty rough and does a lot of dumb things too, like syncing game configs along game saves and lots of small bugs. I hope the irons those out, but the port is also not a complete crapshoot. Performance is fine and DLSS3 and FG support work very well.

The story was very good. The final few chapters were a bit weaker, once you knew what was going on and it was just surviving the last few hours to dawn. Great horror game, not too long, not too short and I think I will check out Supermassive's other games too.

The game end's on a new sequel hook, which I understand wasn't there in the original. So it seems Sony is planning to make "Until Dawn" into a franchise. Of course, the remake doesn't seem to be performing well sales-wise so who knows whether that tease will actually go anywhere.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Finished Animal Well

Lovely little game, lots of very clever touches. Has a retro graphic style. Difficulty was about right for me, some bits were tough but not unfair. Sometimes it was a little frustrating having to back track but there are a few mechanics in place to help with that. Love the way it utilised the ds4 controller.
Overall very good game
9/10

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Finished : Iron Meat

Probably one of the best run-n-gun 2D scroller I've played in a while; probably the best retro throwback game of 2024.

7 years of development was well worth it, very tight Contra-like run-n-gun.
Impressed by how well paced, tightly designed this is. Nothing to mention of the amazing pixel art.

This is also the best beginner run-n-gun. Contra too hard? Play this.

RATING = A tier

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished OMORI (OMOCAT LLC, 2020)

An alt-JRPG framed by a psychological horror plot with plenty of surrealist / dreamlike scenarios and story-telling.

It's one of those games best enjoyed with as little prior information as possible, so I will not summarize the plot here at all - the descriptions on the game's website or store pages should give anybody enough of an idea about what to generally expect.

The visuals and core mechanics of the game are pretty typical RPG Maker fare, but the game's copious hand-drawn cutscene and battle animations are very good and done in a quite unique and distinctive style. The soundtrack has pastiches of 16-bit classics without trying to emulate a retro-sound and has a lot of very catchy melodies that I will probably keep humming for a quite a while even after having finished the game.

I played this game due to a lot of enthusiastic recommendations from friends that I trust, even though turn-based battles and JRPG-style grind are usually hard passes for me. The game starts out very strong and intriguing, but then indeed has a middle-part that will take some 25-30 hours of playtime on a first playthrough and does indeed require a bit of level-grinding on encounter battles in order to be able to get past the story-critical boss fights and eventually beat the game.

I did not enjoy this overly long second act very much and could only get through it by essentially playing the game while watching videos in another window. This might be my anti-JRPG bias talking, but I do think the game would ultimately be stronger and have an even bigger impact if the middle of the game were at least a third shorter.

The game's last act (and last 3-4 hours) however made me forget and did make up for the preceding tedium and is just as strong as pretty much every fan of the game describes it and is very, very memorable indeed. Multiple endings and a good number of optional side-quests as well as a few entirely optional areas in the game world of the second act provide plenty of replay value, but the game only provides 6 savegame slots which makes it quite hard to keep savegames at critical junctions for such replays.

3.5/5

Previously reviewed in this thread [here].

Last edited: